Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The Legend of Zelda features no time travel and no major historical elements of its plot, outside of a mention of the sages and their descendants. Link does not travel in time nor does he in any meaningful way "link" the past to the present events. A Link Between Worlds makes much more sense but they didn't use that until the sequel, and it's still a far better subtitle because it has multiple meanings to thematically tie the story together.

What should the Link To the Past have been called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The Legend of Zelda features no time travel
:cripes:

http://bfy.tw/2wBj

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It's called that because the main character is named Link

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Zelda III: You'll Be A Bunny For A Time

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

It doesn't in a Link to the Past you n'wah

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
because it is a prequel to the first two so therefore it is in the past

it probably works better in Japanese

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

It doesn't in a Link to the Past you n'wah
then specify you, uh...you other n'wah

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

then specify you, uh...you other n'wah

the word you were looking for is s'wit, outlander

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

the word you were looking for is s'wit, outlander
i don't fuckin' know what any of this slang means

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
It was called that because they started making it in 1990. That was before they actually made the other zelda games so it was a link to the past with regards to zelda game level design.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

symbolic posted:

i don't fuckin' know what any of this slang means

It's not slang, it's ebonics, way to oppress Dunmer.

#AllDarkElfLivesMatter

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

It's not slang, it's ebonics, way to oppress Dunmer.

#AllDarkElfLivesMatter
okay so i thiiink this is some Elder Scrolls lexicon

i could be wrong

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the marketing guys rejected their first choice "a stink to the gas"

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the dark world is actually the past world and it's dark because the lightbulb had not been invented yet

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

okay so i thiiink this is some Elder Scrolls lexicon

i could be wrong

Wealth beyond measure, outlander.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

FuriousGeorge posted:

I like this one

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A Twink With No rear end

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A Twink With No rear end

a shameful twink

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Moridin920 posted:

because it is a prequel to the first two so therefore it is in the past

it probably works better in Japanese

The Japanese title was "Triforce of the Gods", so NoA had to pull a new title out of their rear end in accordance with their religious policies.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
It's called A Link To The Past because:

A) Its a prequel to the first two.

B) The plot involves learning Ganon's backstory and finding the living descendants of the people who beat him the first time.

C) The original concept involved time travel between medieval Hyrule and sci-fi Hyrule.

D) It is a pun.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

FuriousGeorge posted:

a frustrating seven minutes of gameplay

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ZeusJupitar posted:

C) The original concept involved time travel between medieval Hyrule and sci-fi Hyrule.

that would have been really cool and the series might still be interesting with the doors it opened

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I don't think they actively tried to give out the whole timeline of Legend of Zelda until Skyward Sword, did they?

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Who cares. It's the best Zelda game.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
zeldar is much cooler than zelda

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I thought the light and dark worlds also had some sort of temporal separation element to it

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
seriously like the entire loving plot of the game is finding the decendants of the seven sages they talk about in the intro and the character you play as (link) is the last in a line of special knights or whatever. You see friend, these things are links to the past. Hence the title. It's also a pun.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC0KIrKIEYM

Explained in the intro you illitierate fuckwad

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Now for some reason I'm remembering how Mario, Zelda and Castlevania all had sequels that were very different from their first game, and how it didn't seem so weird at the time. Why shouldn't they be something new? Then they all kinda reverted to their previous formula for the third one.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also since Ganon has been sealed away for so long, isn't the Dark World (which is the result of his wish to the Triforce) kind of a throwback to old times? He's basically made the world exactly as he imagined it should have been a long time ago.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

The Legend of Zelda features no time travel and no major historical elements of its plot, outside of a mention of the sages and their descendants. Link does not travel in time nor does he in any meaningful way "link" the past to the present events. A Link Between Worlds makes much more sense but they didn't use that until the sequel, and it's still a far better subtitle because it has multiple meanings to thematically tie the story together.

What should the Link To the Past have been called?

the master sword is the "link to the past" that link needs to defeat the forces of evil.

also, apparently, it is a prequel to LoZ/LoZ2, and finally, ganon was locked away hundreds of years ago.

all of this = link to the past.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
How the hell is it a prequel? Ganon is dead at the end, and you got the golden triangles that basically make you become god. Did he wish for Ganon to live again or something?

Also what was the deal with the Ah-ganomn or whatever, the wizard in green? I remember seeing ganon's bat face around his neck like a pendant.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

aghanim is one of those classic dickheads in esoteric literature who is inevitably playing around with forces he doesn't understand.

see the guy who resurrected dracula in symphony of the night, all those cthulhu cultists, etc etc...

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

nomadologique posted:

aghanim is one of those classic dickheads in esoteric literature who is inevitably playing around with forces he doesn't understand.

see the guy who resurrected dracula in symphony of the night, all those cthulhu cultists, etc etc...

Ahhh. I was never clear on that, I thought it WAS ganon if he were still a man.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Wicker Man posted:

How the hell is it a prequel? Ganon is dead at the end, and you got the golden triangles that basically make you become god. Did he wish for Ganon to live again or something?

Also what was the deal with the Ah-ganomn or whatever, the wizard in green? I remember seeing ganon's bat face around his neck like a pendant.

It's a prequel because "THE MASTER SWORD SLEEPS... FOREVER" and there's no Master Sword in the first game and Zelda II. At least, that was the reasoning about a decade ago; I'm sure there have been contradictions that came after I stopped caring enough to look at a timeline.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Leroy Dennui posted:

It's a prequel because "THE MASTER SWORD SLEEPS... FOREVER" and there's no Master Sword in the first game and Zelda II. At least, that was the reasoning about a decade ago; I'm sure there have been contradictions that came after I stopped caring enough to look at a timeline.

i figured they just hadn't decided to call it master sword yet in the 80s so they said magic sword instead

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Microwaves Mom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC0KIrKIEYM

Explained in the intro you illitierate fuckwad

respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011