Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Beefeater1980 posted:

Very much yes. But not sure how easy it would be to show the same consciousness popping up in multiple bodies. Would take some serious acting chops to do that justice.

Just take Tatiana Maslany's DNA, and reverse everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They would just do what Stargate Universe did in that situation, and pretend they look different, with the same actors.

The book was optioned when it came out, I doubt it will ever get produced.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

Very much yes. But not sure how easy it would be to show the same consciousness popping up in multiple bodies. Would take some serious acting chops to do that justice.

Yeah, I was going to post more when the forums barfed on me last night.

I think it could work if the different actors had some kind of shared mannerisms and verbal tics for Takashi. It would definitely be a hugely challenging role.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
I've read the series and have seen the first 2 episodes.

Show looks pretty cheap. I was hoping that with what FX is doing with their shows, SYFY would step up their production game at least with the camerawork and lighting. If you're not going to make all Belters tall and thin, then don't make any tall and thin.

Amos looks like Turtle from Entourage instead of the badass he should be.

I'll stick with it but not expecting much.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Collateral posted:

They would just do what Stargate Universe did in that situation, and pretend they look different, with the same actors.

The book was optioned when it came out, I doubt it will ever get produced.

I'm sure Quantum Leap had this covered since the 80s. Same actor just show him look at his reflection as a different sleeve.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CowboyKid posted:

I've read the series and have seen the first 2 episodes.

Show looks pretty cheap. I was hoping that with what FX is doing with their shows, SYFY would step up their production game at least with the camerawork and lighting. If you're not going to make all Belters tall and thin, then don't make any tall and thin.

Amos looks like Turtle from Entourage instead of the badass he should be.

I'll stick with it but not expecting much.

How did you see the first two episodes since the second is not airing until next week? I know they made the 1st available online, but I don't see any legit source for the 2nd.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

flosofl posted:

How did you see the first two episodes since the second is not airing until next week? I know they made the 1st available online, but I don't see any legit source for the 2nd.

I'm curious to here what looks cheap to him?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Right? i thought it looked amazing, especially from a syfy show.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
do not ask why drive-by troll fires and forgets

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/red-mars-spike-series-order-1201656112/

Looks like TV channels are betting on hard sci-fi being the next hot genre.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Definitely makes sense. I think the magic word lately is Mars, so I'm not surprised by a push in projects that deal with settling our own solar system. The more interesting thing will be seeing if Spike can pull off this kind of show. How is that series, by the way? Anyone read it?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thanks Matt Damon

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

flosofl posted:

Media copies. Ive seen the first 4.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

He looks like a baby-faced sociopath to me which is how the books described him.

Now she was perfectly cast even if some people are mad that she's of Persian-American descent and not Indian.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CowboyKid posted:

If you're not going to make all Belters tall and thin, then don't make any tall and thin.

This guy.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Bert Roberge posted:

He looks like a baby-faced sociopath to me which is how the books described him.

Now she was perfectly cast even if some people are mad that she's of Persian-American descent and not Indian.

She's supposed to be Afghan isn't she? Her husband's Indian.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Beefeater1980 posted:

She's supposed to be Afghan isn't she? Her husband's Indian.

They're both Indian I think.

From the wiki: "She is an Indian woman with gray hair in her seventies."

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Chrisjen_Avasarala_(Books)

Now imagine how much of a nightmare it must be to cast Bobbie Draper.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 9, 2015

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Saw the first ep, haven't read the books. Liked it well enough!

If we're still throwing out hard sci-fi wishes, I'd like a mini-series based on Blindsight.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

xsf421 posted:

This makes me very very happy. Too bad it won't be HBO filming Areophany orgies.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

KatWithHands posted:

Definitely makes sense. I think the magic word lately is Mars, so I'm not surprised by a push in projects that deal with settling our own solar system. The more interesting thing will be seeing if Spike can pull off this kind of show. How is that series, by the way? Anyone read it?

The first two are amongst the very Best of hard science-fiction. Third book however is boring as hell but required to bring closure to the series.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Bert Roberge posted:

They're both Indian I think.

From the wiki: "She is an Indian woman with gray hair in her seventies."

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Chrisjen_Avasarala_(Books)

Now imagine how much of a nightmare it must be to cast Bobbie Draper.

Tall buff Pacific Islander woman with a pretty face? Shouldn't be too hard

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

gohmak posted:

Tall buff Pacific Islander woman with a pretty face? Shouldn't be too hard

Add all that to acting experience and being able to pull off an American accent and it might get difficult.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

Add all that to acting experience and being able to pull off an American accent and it might get difficult.

I know there's gotta be some out there, but the first idea/body type that comes to mind is Tamina/Sarona Snuka from the WWE. She's not towering like Bobbie, she's only 5'9, but already wears lifts in her boots anyway. I can't attest to her out-of-the-ring acting skills, though. It's super hit or miss with pro wrestlers. But with the wealth of Pacific Islanders in incredible shape in wrestling, I wouldn't be surprised if they look in those circles first.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Amos looks exactly like Turtle and it sucks.

I like the books.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This is a good show and Thomas Jane is good in it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Can someone gif the Miller water pour in the whores apartment?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Quick and sloppy (which in the setting is apropos). Hopefully better ones will come out when the show starts.

Just a couple more days, guys :dance:

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I just found this series in August, and found out about the show a month ago and have been pretty hyped.
First episode was really good and Thomas Jane is a cool dude.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AirborneNinja posted:

I just found this series in August, and found out about the show a month ago and have been pretty hyped.
First episode was really good and Thomas Jane is a cool dude.

He's so cool he cancels out the dorkiness of wearing a red space fedora

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

KatWithHands posted:

Quick and sloppy (which in the setting is apropos). Hopefully better ones will come out when the show starts.

Just a couple more days, guys :dance:

Thanks. Perfect. If I remember correctly from the books, to near surface levels are at Mars standard .37 g with the Coriolis increasing and and g effect decreasing the deeper into the Rock? That explains how Miller so easily dragged mr. slumlord and chucked him into an airlock with one hand.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 11, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Thanks. Perfect. If I remember correctly from the books, to near surface levels are at Mars standard .37 g with the Coriolis increasing and and g effect decreasing the deeper into the Rock? That explains how Miller so easily dragged mr. slumlord and chucked him into an airlock with one hand.

I imagine it was easy because they weren't on Mars.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Gohmak's saying the asteroid is spun to maintain about Martian gravity on the surface.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

God drat that was great. Jane makes a perfect Miller.

coyo7e posted:

I think my biggest complaint is that I always envisioned most of the crew as older and less attractive. Holden in my mind was like one of those dorky mid-40s ex-Navy dudes you'd meet in college, with terribad mustaches, who were just sort of milking the GI Bill in perpetuity so they could table a D&D game and wallpaper their dorm room with anime posters for years at a stretch. Amos was huge and bald, like a neo nazi trucker who'd spent a lot of time lifting weights in prison. The cop dude was a paunchy near-retirement-age dude, probably in full late stage male pattern baldness - which accounted for his awful choice in hats.

Yeah, really since the first book came out I've wanted to see an adaptation of these, but always assumed it would be impossible. There's just no way to do the null gravity stuff and the belters well. I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot though - I think they're doing a pretty amazing job with what they have, although the cast is so hilariously nothing like my imagination. Jonathan Banks/Bryan Cranston as Miller would have been great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Gohmak's saying the asteroid is spun to maintain about Martian gravity on the surface.

poo poo, I misread that. I thought Gohmak was saying it was Mars. Re-reading that, I can't even see how I came to that conclusion. Mea Culpa

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

flosofl posted:

poo poo, I misread that. I thought Gohmak was saying it was Mars. Re-reading that, I can't even see how I came to that conclusion. Mea Culpa

Maybe because I mistyped 'the near' with 'to near'?

With a spherical spinning station the poles would have the same low centripital force and severe Coriolus effect as the core so the equator outer level would be the optimal Realestate.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Apparently the Mars books are being adapted into TV series (Red Mars, Green Mars, etc)

Sure is a good time for Sci-Fi. Here's hoping none of these production outfits gently caress anything good up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
With the Expanse, the book writers are on the TV writing team, so they can keep dumb ideas in check. Is that going to be the same with the Mars books?

WE DOIN IT NOW
Jun 18, 2005

Never compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon.
Robinson doesn't strike me as the type to want to be on a writing team.

Also it's going on Spike TV.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

Robinson doesn't strike me as the type to want to be on a writing team.

Also it's going on Spike TV.

Is that good or bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

gohmak posted:

Is that good or bad?

I'm fairly sure the most popular show on spike is COPS reruns. It's not really a channel known for quality TV.

• Locked thread