Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Other than a few beanpoles to prove the point the casting for belters seems a little lazy. Amos and Holden are frequently some of the tallest dudes in a scene and in particular Naomi is half a head shorter than the two earthers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

KatWithHands posted:

If you like reading different kinds of space battles, there's this series called The Lost Fleet that Amazon recommended to me because of The Expanse. I checked out the first book, Dauntless, and the space battles and communications and everything were pretty neat.

It's pretty okay popcorn fiction although you might not want to read too many in close succession. Certain repetitions in passages and structure really start to grate once you read past them literally every book. Let me tell you about battlecruisers....

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Just do like I did and sign up for an audible trial and get the audiobook version free.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Also the airlock on the shuttle was shown as being on the bottom floor of the interior shots but on the side in exterior shots. The 'gravity' from acceleration would be all sideways.

The new scenes added (and episode 2 had a lot of them) are sticking out as being kind of janky compared to the more book faithful scenes. Though perhaps reading the books is spoiling some of the breadcrumbs for later books they're tossing in.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
It's been a while since I've read Leviathan Wakes so maybe I'm just not remembering it being in the book, but is it tweaking any other book readers that they keep referring to an area of Ceres as The Medina?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Kesper North posted:

The Medina was in the books; it's the market/nightlife area. Like DS9's Promenade or B5's Zocalo.

Oh, huh. Kinda lazy then that the title "Medina" gets reused later in the books. Here I thought the show-writers were just using it as a books reference.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

gohmak posted:

Are you taking about Medina Station?

I was trying to be subtle about it (not that it's that big of a spoiler), but yes. I was pointing out it's weird there's a Medina on Ceres and later Medina Station.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think it was the Revelation Space series that tried to explain it away with a subsurface cooling system and central heat storage? Or was it in The Expanse, too? My memory's kinda flaky.

Mass Effect also did the whole heat storage stealth thing for the Normandy, IIRC.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

They have some pretty good tech, maybe he got some body mod or drug or whatever that would have let him stay a few minutes in space in case of emergencies instead of 10-15 seconds, so taking out a ribbon wouldn't be that dangerous.

Except most of the pharma companies are Earth owned so they put the screws to belters on price. Many belters have to scrape just to be able to afford medication so their bones aren't super brittle, being able to have kids where cosmic radiation won't mess them up in gestation, or simply enough O2/water.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I wish they wouldn't fall back so much on lighting/color correcting the whole scene in blue or purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

48 Hour Boner posted:

You know one thing that bothers me? They have hand guns, which I assume are like modern-day guns in terms of mechanism. However, they make sci-fi pew-pew noises! I guess that's to help the audience to establish that one scene isn't "A bunch of guys shooting eachother" so much as "A bunch of guys shooting eachother IN THE FUTURE!"

Slapping on a bunch of tactilol accesories, red dots, lasers, muzzle brakes and scopes on pistols, bullpups, and dubbing in funky pew-pew noises is pretty standard sci-fi futuregun fare. If you want to get really gun-:spergin: IMFDB.org is pretty good at picking out what is buried underneath all of that dressup (or airsoft props they're using).

quote:

Still doesn't explain the pew-pew sounds but I assume they'd at least sound slightly different from 'real' guns.

Not the greatest quality but here's a gyrojet firing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYZq5frO4rk

• Locked thread