Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Crazy spoiler for later in the series Holden eventually gets a decent cup of coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

People going into this series without having read the books really are at a disadvantage.

The series is really like Firefly/Spacenoir/Cold-war Political Thriller before it becomes like Mass Effect and that's just the first book.

I'd highly recommend the audiobooks over the books to anyone who hasn't heard them since the narrator nails lots of different accents/sexes very well.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

etalian posted:

I liked how in the setting everything is outsourced to the private sector including law enforcement.

It reminds me of Jennifer Government.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

gohmak posted:

BSG had magic gravity and FTL over a hard scifi aesthetic. The Expanse is just hard scifi.

This is probably the hardest space scifi tv series of all time I think. For the first half at least.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

KatWithHands posted:

I'm definitely more optimistic about Amos, because even though he's not who i pictured either, I've seen the actor pull off that "friendly smile with his mouth while his eyes say casual murder" pretty well in the past. That, and he seems to understand the character fundamentally in the interviews. Hopefully in the next episode he gets more of an opportunity to show that. He didn't get the scenes for instant character definition that Alex and Naomi did.

Amos really does remind me of

Hopefully he'll get to emote more barely constrained rage in later episodes.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

This intro and especially the first few bars of the music seem to be borrowing heavily from Game of Thrones.

Like it's pretty on the nose.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

It's absolutely nothing like the Game of Thrones intro, aside from it being an intro to a TV show and CGI

I'm joking

The little bits of the sinking and buildup of the Statue of Liberty really remind me of it.

George R. R. Martin is pretty good friends with one of the authors apparently.

The Expanse universe started as a failed MMO pitch then Pen and Paper game according to this.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/...5HPStwNw-_-10:1

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I was riffing on Noctune's post at the top of this page about how this show is stylistically dissimilar from BSG/ Caprica despite viewers and critics saying that it does and Syfy talking about how they really wanted to make a show similar to BSG

I know I just wanted to :spergin:

That shot of the Statue of Liberty being below sea level was great.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

The real BSG stuff doesn't start until later books when you get to see 1 character having mysterious hallucinations

You could argue in the vaguest sense that both shows have a theme of the created rebelling against their creators.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Na'at posted:

I can't believe how similar The Wire and iZombie are. Cars, buildings, 21st century Earth and Police. Not to mention using the visual style of blue sky, asphalt roads and America.

They both really explore addiction and the consequences of it to a larger city. :colbert:

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

KatWithHands posted:

This is why people should read the books completely fresh. The :stare: factor when you first reach it.

The whole series goes full Cronenburg.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Nichael posted:

In the pilot, am I mistaken in thinking I saw James shave some of a match into his drink? What's that about?

It's probably some sort of stimulant to make the equivalent of something like the chicory coffee they used to make in the Civil War. It's emphasized several times how lovely the coffee is in the books and the weird lengths people go to to get something like it.

Alternative out-there theory: there's an urban legend that ingesting match heads helps keep fleas, ticks, and insects away because of the sulfur content. We already saw a rat on the ship so maybe the whole place is just infested with vermin. In reality they're just full of bad chemicals but in low doses they won't kill you but can make your breath/sweat smell like garlic.

People with mineral deficiencies can also crave strange substances due to pica disorder and they've already emphasized how the belters are mostly malnourished.

I don't think the match head thing was in the books.

The match head kinda fits with the title intro of 'a small spark igniting a war' which Holden ends up becoming

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 25, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

P.S. Naomi should be hella taller.

In the books Holden only comes up to her shoulder.

I think the showrunners said it'd be way too expensive to find or CG enough tall people for the belters though.

This is the best piece of Jim Holden fanart.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

gohmak posted:

Speaking of the Donnager, I wonder if SyFy has the balls to show Shed's headless body produce a zero G bubble of blood cartoonishly replacing his head.

They've been super conservative on the gore so far so I doubt we'll see too much craziness.

IIRC the Scopuli engine room was a Cronenburgian nightmare in the book.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Well the weird thing about this book series is that it changes genres about every other book.

It kinda goes from noir to political thriller to western to god knows what.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I'm halfway through the first novel, it isn't all that well written, but I've been reading Raymond Chandler almost exclusively for the last year so maybe it's just different.

You really missed out by not getting the audiobook. It's one of the rare cases where the audiobook is much much better than the regular book.

Jefferson Mays does a hell of a job.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

If you squint you can see an ad for The Book of Mormon

Fun little easter egg.

KatWithHands posted:

Oh poo poo, that guy! Okay, first you had my curiosity, now you have my attention. I'm going to have to buy the whole series over again, aren't I?

He does great narration for all the books except 4, which has a different and terrible narrator so you can skip that one.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

3peat posted:

Why are they spending a lot of money to put on the screen some book I've never heard of, while ignoring the best space opera ever made, the Culture series. Yes, my autism is flaring up. If tv executives are reading this I've got this idea to turn The Player of Games into a miniseries, the 3 acts of the book becoming 3 90 minute episodes. Gurgeh would be played by, you guessed it, Idris Elba. Yes, I'm available for hire as The Ideas Guy.

That said I've watched the pilot of this thing and, while not terribly impressed, I'll keep watching as I haven't seen any space SF in years. I just hope it won't turn into some libertarian crap (I've been triggered by a character unironically wearing a fedora), otherwise even if it's not very good I'll still watch as it seems to have decent production values and I'm a sucker for cool looking space poo poo.

:spergin: reply:

He is wearing it ironically though because there's no rain or sun there.

It's just a big 'gently caress you OPA I work for Earth' as well as a nod to old noir movies.

On top of that he's a big MRA creep to his coworker at the bar so it works on many levels.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 6, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

3peat posted:

I have a bad history of trying to read sci fi books and being hit by idiot writers blatantly pushing their retarded ideology on me (most recently Vernor Vinge masturbating over the saintly perfection of the Free Market or Peter f Hamilton with the UKIP crap) so I'm wary of any new stuff. I meant by that post that I'll keep on watching unless it turns into libertarian poo poo, sorry for the confusion.

There's no really weird ideology that gets pushed on you in this series but it is anti-war and pro-transparency for governments and corporations.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

He looks like a baby-faced sociopath to me which is how the books described him.

Now she was perfectly cast even if some people are mad that she's of Persian-American descent and not Indian.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Beefeater1980 posted:

She's supposed to be Afghan isn't she? Her husband's Indian.

They're both Indian I think.

From the wiki: "She is an Indian woman with gray hair in her seventies."

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Chrisjen_Avasarala_(Books)

Now imagine how much of a nightmare it must be to cast Bobbie Draper.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 9, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

gohmak posted:

Tall buff Pacific Islander woman with a pretty face? Shouldn't be too hard

Add all that to acting experience and being able to pull off an American accent and it might get difficult.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

General Battuta posted:

They're definitely already hinting at some of the Book 5 material, which is a great decision, since it spares us from 4 books worth of the Holden + low budget Firefly crew.

Cibola Burn spoilers:I want to see them stumbling around going blind from algae while they kick away poisonous slugs for at LEAST a season.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

General Battuta posted:

I don't mind the algae slug death planet much except that it's only enough story for a single episode of Stargate, not a full book.

We're gonna run outta books faster than they did in Game of Thrones.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

GyverMac posted:

Holy poo poo, this is so good. Why isnt this better known? I've been trying to get my friends and colleagues to witness this but nobody has even heard of it.

Get the word out fellow convert.

Did anyone else notice that almost all or all the sexual orientations on Space Facebook were pansexual?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I think cop guy (sorry I somehow haven't learned almost anyone's names yet) was specifically looking through Julie Mao's dating history, now SpaceBook in general.

First two eps weren't bad (what can I say, I'm starved for 'hard' sf) but the last two definitely sold me on the show. Biggest WTF was the railgun scene in lockup. You could tell something just got hosed by the change in music/sound, but then it pans to the medic... :barf:

Also, the grunt-type dude... Is he literally a sociopath? He's really giving off vibes, man.

e: Also, the indian lady that's so central to the Earth scenes, I loving hate her guts. Like the last scene between her and the ambassador to Mars, when he basically lays out why he loves Mars so much, because they're working toward the future instead of paving over their garden (what a loving great line), and her response is "LOL Earth was here first, suck it up" God I hope someone nailguns you to a wall, bitch.

Watching the first few episodes with subtitles REALLY helps with catching on the names. It doesn't help that from a distance Alex, Holden, and Shep kinda look similar. Some of the accents are so thick I usually just leave them on all the time.

Cop guy is named Miller.

Grunt-type-dude Amos is a literal sociopath with a really flat affect who attaches to others for moral guidance because he doesn't understand or feel morality much. (Much of this is explained through his rough background.) If you watch many of the reaction shots then the other crew members will be freaking out and he'll just have this blank stare. He's really nailing it in the recent episodes.

Indian lady Chrisjen Avasarala is supposed to be wonderfully hateable and notoriously Machiavellian but this makes her very effective in politics. She has a soft-spot for her family though.

I'm loving all the cuts between the dirty Belt, ultra-sterile Mars vessels, and ultra opulent Earth locations.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 17, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

This show is a solid "Okay" for me

Sometimes better than the book, sometimes worse

It's really just a placeholder until Foundation

Not sure I've ever seen you post that you liked anything so this sounds like a solid endorsement.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I mean this isn't like really well written but it's well written for Scyfy.

Also you can make really dorky IDs on all the social media stuff.

For me BSG would've been great if I stopped watching after season 2. Same with Lost and a bunch of other shows.

Will probably be the same with this show but I'll enjoy the ride.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 18, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Been said before but the critical difference with this show is that a bunch of books have already been written and the plot doesn't become an improvised mess at any point so far.

There's already enough of the story published for 4-5 seasons of the show and it really doesn't suck so far.

Lost and BSG were just really egregious examples of TV shows strongly implying the story is meticulously planned while it was really just made up as the show progressed.

Also the last book that came out Nemesis Games really fleshed out all the characters and was really great. Hopefully they pull on it a lot more even in these earlier books.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

We really need a Generic Scifi or Shows You're Anticipating thread because when this show has lulls it just becomes those(and yes I'm guilty of that too).

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Was there an intentional skip between ep1 and 2 or did I miss part of an episode? Im referring to (spoilers necessary?) the recap of ep1 at ep2's start showed some dude randomly falling, the lifeboat crew returning to the scopuli, and holden getting out his distress video, but ep2 then started with the people on ceres watching the video and the lifeboat crew being arrested
Oh yeah you are watching Episode 3 my man.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 18, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I' 100 pages into Caliban's War and so far it's okay. I like Avasarala a lot more in the books than the show.

She's a lot more endearing in the books because she comes across as a crotchity old cursing grandmother who gives everyone funny nicknames. Just wait until you meet Bobbie.

Also again I'd recommend the audiobooks instead of the books.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 18, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I expected it to be larger.

I expect a 5 minute romantic subplot with the coffee maker this January.

People expecting BSG level dogfights in this show should really stop. It's explained in the books that most space battles are really boring ordeals mostly handled by computers. The real meat is in the hosed up human interactions.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 18, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

NowonSA posted:

And of course he must agree to anything if his captors will guarantee his crew's safety, including the complete destruction of planet Earth.

haha book 5

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Can we stop talking about BSG in this thread?

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 19, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Bert can you please stop pm-ing about talking about BSG?

I don't think it's unacceptable to talk about another, similar show in this thread.

I know TV/IV can be sensitive, but you're being unusually weird about it.

Edit:

Message from Bert Roberge

Title: Please don't post anymore in this thread

Text: Just love BSG in a different thread or whatever.

Stop being a loving weirdo, Bert

Lol another thread mate. That's all I ask. Here I want to ask about the crew of the Rocinante and such. Please don't make this into a weird internet feud I just like The Expanse.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 19, 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

We can't have Holden liking two black girls. That would be TOO confusing for us the dear audience. I heard the zero g sex scene was kind of an insanely brutal shoot though so maybe that was the only crazy person they could find who would do it.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

This show has one of the most diverse and great casts ever but we're gonna hangup on a throwaway garbage character that does nothing in the books or the show.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Augustus Woop-Woop posted:

*checks reg date*

You should be well aware of how serious the internets takes its issues. Baby/bathwater metaphor is apt here.

Chiming in to say that I've been on The Expanse books since the release of Leviathan Wakes and I'm very much into how it's been depicted thus far.

Please I wish I had been thrown out with the bathwater at this point.

The issue of a throwaway character's race is kinda dumb even on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I think I might be off my meds. I swear to god that this thread should be about this this show and not about a goddamned throwaway actress that means nothing to the story.

• Locked thread