Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nice use of Jonathan Banks.

--edit: vvv Old weathered man being a captain. Like that was exclusive to BSG up until now. Plus he doesn't look like EJO and played a crazy person.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I read the spoilers and I'm sort of disappointed now
In what way? The books read way better than you'd expect from the synopses. Probably going to be the same with spoilers posted here and the series progressing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bert Roberge posted:

The real BSG stuff doesn't start until later books when you get to see 1 character having mysterious hallucinations
Except that these hallucinations stem from alien nanotech messing with Holden and not some mysterious God with a penchant for reruns.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Baloogan posted:

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
the aliens are pretty magical; magic portals in space; able to turn off 'fusion' in an area; zombies etc; turning a planet into a huge space ship thingy; violating the laws of inertia; reactionless drives. ain't exactly hard sci fi. _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Wasn't it something something of having figured out how to change universal physical constants?

Well, it ain't hard, but hardish enough. But better than magic.

The zombies and planet into spaceship is nanotech stuff, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 25, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

It seems like nanotech is the current way to explain magic in "hard" sci-fi. I remember reading an old Iron Man comic from the 60's and every time the suit did something crazy, he'd explain it with :science: TRANSISTORS :science:
Yeah, point taken. But at least there's some grounding in actual concepts and possibilities.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm still reading Cibola Burn (on a very slow burn for unrelated reasons), did I miss this or is it coming up?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

You can't tell me that moving corpses filled with an infectious proto-virus that spreads it through contact and are labeled zombies by the characters aren't a kind of zombie. That's like textbook definition.
Given that the books mentioning tubes and poo poo sticking out of these "zombies", they're more or less like the Borg.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The lighting looked like it was filmed underwater in places.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

At least they had the courtesy of showing thrusters doing stuff during that sequence.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just rewatching the episode. The HUD in the shuttle days delta-v of 0.02-0.06km/h in the various cuts to it, but the distance counts down faster than a meter per second.

Hard scifi my rear end! :goonsay:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Should they ever get to turning Cibola Burns into a season, I hope they cut the first half of the book down. Hard. Like don't even think about making an episode.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

Nuts to you. I want an entire season dedicated to interplantary real estate law. Way more interesting than poison worms a green eye goo.
Well, at least at half the book the planet blew up and a hundred pages later Holden finally interacts with the protomolecule stuff again (I'm currently at the point where he's in the transport system).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hyperion is being worked on. What about Rama? I thought that's still stuck in development hell?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

With the Expanse, the book writers are on the TV writing team, so they can keep dumb ideas in check. Is that going to be the same with the Mars books?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, I'm not sad they're going to handle it that way. Means more episodes to cover the story. If they renew, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's because space combat with ballistic missiles would actually be underwhelming. You think that if they go out of their way with accurate zero-G physics (as much as can be emulated on a TV budget), they'd do spectacular Michael Bay ship to ship combat?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CowboyKid posted:

Amos looks like Turtle. It sucks.
Sperg some more about it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure about That-Dude playing Jules-Pierre Mao, tho. Whenever I see him, I keep expecting a cheap joke and a dumb smirk.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I expected it to be larger.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

BexGu posted:

Most the ships that have been showed so far have been absolutely HUGE. That ship they got into is basically the smallest you can get and still have a Epstein Drive with a normal crew of around 10.
It's because of the story thread of the Rocicante pulling the Barbipicola into a higher orbit. Tiny war ship pulling a presumably large and loaded freighter kind of sounds wrong. That and I remember reading about plenty of rooms, which is weird considering it didn't look much wider than the entrance hatch in the episode. (Book 4 spoilers)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Expanse: No FTL (countdown until distance/time goes GoT and stops being consistent?), Gravity works "whenever"/ "however"
Gravity works when the ship is accelerating.

The accepted mode of flight in the series universe is to continuously accelerate with 1G towards your destination, and spin the ship around 180° and decelerate with 1G. Whenever a ship is accelerating or decelerating, there's gravity. At any other point, there's not. It's pretty drat realistic, with the exception of the Epstein drive. The Revelation Space series handled it the same, and it is considered hard scifi.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Woden posted:

No kidding, the ice tankers are hilariously over engineered for their job and probably weigh more than the ice they haul.
At least in the case of the Canterbury, it's a colony ship that got gutted.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

As long they skip that religious trek on the ice planet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

gohmak posted:

You tripping. Quaiche and the moving Cathedrals are the poo poo.
Not the poo poo enough to take over that much of the book.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess the big test will be how they're going to visualize Julie Mao in the bathtub on Eros. --edit: (Book/Season 1 spoiler.)

--edit2: Then again, speculation on a spoiler kind of implies that.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 25, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Again with the book spoilers...
If it's going to happen in the series this season, is it truly a book spoiler?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Uhm, I assume you're kidding but in case you're not the common wisdom is that before the events actually air it's considered a spoiler.
I meant specifically book spoiler instead of regular show spoiler. --edit: You know, happened in the book but is definitely coming up this season in the show spoilers.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 25, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is it the 5th yet?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Like on cue.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You dumb assholes just lost your right to complain about CowboyKid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Season 2 is scheduled to air in 2017. This'll be an excruciating wait.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think Holden looking weirded out, when the self-patching suit does its thing, sets the general idea of the unknown party's tech vs. what the rest has, and how unexpected it is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The first few episodes were aired over Christmas time, too. Maybe that contributes to the ratings. Then again, it's mostly nerds that tune into Syfy. On the other hand, who knows how their past content scheme hosed over the viewer demographic and drove away said nerds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Vodos posted:

I'm not that far into the books yet, but I think they're screwing this up. I watched the first 4 episodes, liked the setting but some stuff didn't make sense to me, so I grabbed the first book to compare and I really don't understand what the hell the tv people are doing.
Let me tell you about the book authors on the writing team...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh I was wondering about that. I like that they're trying to be as hard as they can on the science. On the same note, I can see plenty of folks frequently go "Hurrr durrr durrr that's silly!" and being put them off for no reason.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

And there are coatings to absorb radar/laser detection that are in the "just accept it" tech category like the Epstein drive.
Current stealth tech and Vantablack might disagree with you to some degree.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think it was the Revelation Space series that tried to explain it away with a subsurface cooling system and central heat storage? Or was it in The Expanse, too? My memory's kinda flaky.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Episode was sweet. Reading the book, I had more decomposition, fluids and tubey things in my mind. The episode was still grosser than anticipated, tho. Also, I was on the edge of my seat, because I expected a no-show cliffhanger.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

The stealth tech could have just been stolen from Mars, but that ship that blew up Donnager... at the very least somebody with a ton of money stole mars' designs and implemented them at even greater scale. But possibly independent development which means even more required infrastructure.
loving big rear end book spoiler, in case you're impatient in regards to wanting to know more: ------------------------------------------------- Pierre Jules Mao --------------------------------------------------------------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If the season ends where everyone hints at, and the season 2 date is true, you'll be waiting a long time. :v:

--edit: Actually, pisses me off already that it continues in 2017.

What are the ratings like meanwhile, anyway?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 28, 2016

• Locked thread