Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

there are also no spiritual or quasi-religious elements in there, at all.

you seem to have forgotten the 3rd book entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

it's hard sci fi without mystical bullshit elements

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
the aliens are pretty magical; magic portals in space; able to turn off 'fusion' in an area; zombies etc; turning a planet into a huge space ship thingy; violating the laws of inertia; reactionless drives. ain't exactly hard sci fi. _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________
___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

peeps come back from the dead and haunt the main character. its magic. its fantasy tropes on space ships. also the engines on space ships alone would prevent the books from being hard sci fi. in the book characters refer to the tech as god like. FTL communication, locking down maximum speeds. wormholes to wormhole hub stations / FTL travel, ghosts! zombies! Its a good space opera, but don't pretend its hard sci fi! Its much, much, much less hard than Firefly and firefly wasn't hard. ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

:goonsay:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
they should thank the leaker, 4th ep sealed the deal for me. hell yes pilot on sedatives taking amphetamines then spraying the loading bay down and zooming the gently caress outta there.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
space mormons are awesome

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gah

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

This show is going be like Twin Peaks with its coffee obsession isn't it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDELk-M0Kxw

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vodos posted:

I'm not that far into the books yet, but I think they're screwing this up. I watched the first 4 episodes, liked the setting but some stuff didn't make sense to me, so I grabbed the first book to compare and I really don't understand what the hell the tv people are doing. I disliked pretty much everyone on the tv show while I liked pretty much everyone in the book. Everyone but Amos is like a completely different person, Naomi is way too aggressive and angry, Alex is something but not the chill dude who just wants to fly and Holden is some kind of pussy/slacker, I have no idea how they're gonna believably turn him into the righteous Holden that's pretty much required for the story.
I'm surprised goons like the tv show this much, they took a perfectly fine story, changed it a bunch to add ~drama~ and then filled those changed scenes with logical errors. IMO the books are way better.

:goonsay:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Batham posted:

I hope he gets his head torn off by a random slug

Book 4 spoilers! (Book spoilers)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
as a nerd with unreasonably high standards, expanse is loving awesome

the ONLY thing I'd like is more coffee scenes.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I thought about it a little bit more and I think that this is a really bad post: you're in a forum prone to echo-chamber-ing and you're upset at someone who mildly disagrees with the Thread Line and calling them a contrarian.

You're a mod, you should still have a better interest in the forums.

hes a mod of gip

so hes actually a real human being who doesn't have to give a poo poo about offending your precious feelings

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

He doesn't need to worry about my feelings you knucklehead, he can post whatever he wants, but for a Real Human GIP Mod he got sort of salty about me very gently saying Show Is Not Good*

*As good as I'd like it to be

I thought about it a little bit more and I think that this is a really bad post

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

That's not really how space works. You almost never want to travel in a straight line in a gravity well, even when there's nothing in the way. Doing so means you're fighting against gravity the whole way.

has a heinlein quote in his avatar and literally doesn't understand the first thing about orbital mechanics

a shameful poster

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gohmak posted:

Nobody else caught the similar dialog beats?

This just keeps getting better and better.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
And yeah, in my mind while reading the books the julie bathroom scene was like something geiger came up with, her body opened up like a dead blue gross oval office from her head on down with glowing pollen queefing out slowly

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
that plus this is what I had in my mind's eye

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also holden was UN space navy, guess they have booster shots (+screening) or whatever. Plus miller is an alcoholic. And maybe he just got a higher dose.

Also miller just lost his imaginary girlfriend to gross blue poo poo.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

That's what I assumed. Holden was also some kind of designer baby with lots of DNA strands involved because ~future~ so he might be slightly more durable than your average earth-born human, depending on how much of a Gattaca-like genetic screening/improvement process is going on.

Hm, yeah that would make alot of sense. (Book question, not really a spoiler, would be like fuckin season 7 material at this fuckin rate) why was holden not blinded by those space slugs on planet of the space slugs? I forget, I forget again.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are there any other good shows Avasarala's actress was in? I have to say I love her acting and voice. Perfect casting imo. I really hope there is more Avasarala-Mao interactions.... Love both those actors.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Roci is kinda a space fighter.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

But Amos is an educated engineer so there are obviously ways for even 'unsanctioned' children to move up. Excluding people from the system would make the whole thing pointless so I'm pretty sure Amos was able to get on basic the moment he approached a government office.

lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gently caress yes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
he is the weak rear end slave who uses his brain to get ahead in life and rape someone I think

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo yeah

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
eh, if you liked book 3 might as well read book 4

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
get to the crash couches
due to the burn

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I need a coffee.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

what about this jiggy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uxTpyCdriY

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lily Rose posted:

Hey, remember when this was the thread for The Expanse and not other shows? That was pretty nice.

sorry for posting :(

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
EM DRIVE MOTHERFUCKERS UNTRACABLE loving PROPULSION gently caress YES no stealth in spacep eeps can suck it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
poo poo out pods filled with molten metals to dump heat god I hate the no stealth in space circle jerk

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
a million alien races hide their existance in the milky way and the stealth in space crowd crow like motherfuckers every single day

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
closest u ever will get to space workers is sewer inspectors
technology + robots + pipes etc + hate + SCBAs etc

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
There is the "expert system" that handles all the medicine. That is hella AI right there

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

There isn't any suggestion the expert systems are capable of thought though.

thar aint any suggestion that ur capable of thourght either tho

food 4 thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
amos can manage a warship's fusion generator singlehandly!!!!!!!!! ofc theres like computery smart poo poo doing everything

• Locked thread