Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

The Chicago Bears waived quarterback Jimmy Clausen on Monday, a move coach John Fox asserted was prompted by another team's interest in fellow quarterback David Fales. Therefore, the Bears promoted Fales from the practice squad to their 53-man roster and showed Clausen the door.

Noted terrible quarterback Jimmy Clausen has been released, ending his reign of terror over people in Chicago. Look on his lovely footballing works and despair:

In his august NFL career, Jimmy Clausen managed two things. One was tanking the Panthers to Cam Newton. The other is growing this mustache:

Now, Clausen is moving on, perhaps to Baltimore, perhaps to YOUR CITY.

The one thing we know is that Clausen cannot play quarterback in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE so he'll probably hang around for the next 500 million years. The Bears are promoting long-haired Colt McCoy impersonator David Fales because some team was literally interested in him.

Please share your stories of watching Jimmy Clausen play football and how happy you were when he left your team.

e: Well, the poo poo post tag probably fits anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

I wish I still had the picture of Jimmy Clausen as an ostrich that Febreeze drew for me a few years ago.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Is this thread specifically about how bad he was in the NFL or can we laugh at the times he was terrible at Notre Dame too?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Maxwells Demon posted:

Is this thread specifically about how bad he was in the NFL or can we laugh at the times he was terrible at Notre Dame too?

I have no idea if this is real. Please let this be a real magazine cover.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=293110087

Jimmy Clausen and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish lost a game where Clausen had 51 pass attempts.

Draft him and start him immediately Carolina.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

I blame Tenuta for most of the 09 losses.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
One of my proudest jokes on this here forum was saying Jimmy Clausen is what happens when you feed Johnny Manziel after midnight

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Thank you for leading us to Cam, Pickles.

You did your job, tanking the Panthers for that extra needed year.

2010 was the only unwatchable year for me as a Panthers fan since their very first year of existence.
There was literally no hope on Sunday, for anything. Even in losses, you can sometimes enjoy an exciting play, or perhaps have a glimmer of hope for a close and competitive game.

When Jimmy Clausen is your team's starter, such things become mere vagaries. You can't hope for a win. You can't expect it to be even close. You can't even count on there to even be any sort of well-executed offensive play.

3 loving TOUCHDOWNS IN 13 GAMES AS A STARTER

THEN JOHN FOX SIGNED HIM...AGAIN

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 24, 2015

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
There's not many quarterbacks I would say no to after watching Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith poo poo themselves on the field for 6 years.

Jimmy "Pickles" Clausen is one of of those quarterbacks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Maxwells Demon posted:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=293110087

Jimmy Clausen and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish lost a game where Clausen had 51 pass attempts.

Draft him and start him immediately Carolina.

More interestingly he had 48 more passing attempts than the other team.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Bip Roberts posted:

More interestingly he had 48 more passing attempts than the other team.

Well Navy runs the Flexbone read option, they don't pass other than as a change of pace to catch the other team off guard.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

One Jimmy Clausen is worth two Blaine Gabberts in a pocket

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
gently caress notre dame forever amen

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Well Navy runs the Flexbone read option, they don't pass other than as a change of pace to catch the other team off guard.
Football as God himself intended it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I remember when we drafted pickles. I was keen and hype as gently caress. I'd read all sorts of draft stuffs and was happy as poo poo to get a guy coming from a pro style offense to a team with pro-tier as gently caress offensive line and some solid pieces on offense. Then he took the field.

He had some early jiiters, and I thought - it's ok, he'll come good he's shown some flashes of being able to read a defense. I watched some games and broke down what he did well and areas he was improving, then he kept sucking, and then he sucked worse and then he sucked real bad ya'll. It was like dating an abusive spouse, or having a drug addict child. You always hoped they would turn it around but then you find them rooting around your mattress at 3am looking for spare change so they don't have to suck dick in a train station mens room for heroin money and it breaks your heart all over again.

The craziest thing about Clausen is how badly the Carolina Panthers hosed themselves to actually get him and how much worse they could've made it.

See the Panthers draft history is littered with good and bay players, like most above average performing franchises, but Marty Hurney and John Fox very slowly started to unravel. This story all kind of starts with the drafting of DeAngelo Williams. Williams was relegated to second fiddle for a few years, mainly because John Fox is a moron who favours veterans over rookies and young guys no matter their ability, so for a good two seasons Williams was kind of unmotivated, he was more or less a change of pace back filling in for DeShaun Foster, he was also a little bit lazy. Williams turned his career around on the back of two things, one was Vinny Testaverde telling him he was lazy and that he needed to be better able to handle the workload if he wanted to remain in the NFL and an injury to Foster that lead to a solid starting stretch. The Panthers for some unknown reason decided in 2008 that one good running back wasn't enough and used another first rounder on Jonathan Stewart. The reasons for this are kind of argued over, but it's either because Fox (again being a dipshit) wanted a power back or, because Richardson is obsessed with Steelers teams from 30 years ago that ran the ball lots. Either way they burned a first rounder on Stewart. This didn't fix the glaring hole in the roster at the time (tackle) and so they traded back into the first round to fix the turn style at offensive tackle by taking Geoff Otah (a lazy, lazy, oft injured man who is now out of the league) - this idiot seriously chose to get massages at a mall instead of proper rehab with trainers as a panther.

This meant that the next year (2009) the team was without a first round pick, the first round trickled along without the Panthers giving much of a gently caress until Everette Brown became available early in the second. Now for those of you who don't remember Everette Brown had a third round grade at BEST from almost all draft pundits. He weighed about 250 pounds and had been used exclusively as a pass rusher in college. He'd check in, charge upfield against a lovely offensive line and get a sack or two. He had no major future in the NFL like most OLB/DE hybird rush backers and it was pretty much well known in NFL circles that he hadn't shown any flashes of translating to the nfl. Of course the Panthers made the smart choice. They traded next years first with the 49ers and drafted this dude to a chorus of boos from fans and snickering from just about everyone else.

The next year is the infamous year where the Panthers drafted Pickles. This draft also featured some interesting things, they traded a future second round pick to pick up Armanti Edwards a WR project (QB in college) in the third round mostly because he was a bit of a local hero and could get a few bums in seats, and some bullshit conspiracy about the Pats wanting to take him.

Mainly what always sticks in my mind from this period though is the post draft press conference. Marty Hurney in a frank (and more than a little smug) moment mentioned to the media in attendance that Clausen was a guy they had rated as a first rounder and the team was amazed they were able to pick him up in the 2nd. He also mentioned that he spent most of the round looking for a trade partner, offering up to their first round pick next year to secure his services but couldn't find any takers - luckily for the Panthers this was a bit of a rare year where there weren't any really solid teams who'd suffered a season ending injury to their QB getting them a high pick. Above them were franchises in relative disarray who really needed players.

As we all know (now) Fox was seeking a contract extension this same offseason which the team wasn't willing to extend to him. Because Richardson is such a cheap rear end in a top hat he literally thought it was better to have a lame duck coach see out his tenure rather than throw his rear end to the curb and start the search again, some have even wagered this line of thinking is part of the reason Rivera didn't get shitcanned after his second year, or early into his third. Fox pretty much threw anyone onto IR who was a little banged up and let the rookies and poo poo players take the field. Of course the team ended up tanking and going 2-14 and ending up with the first round pick.

That pick ended up being Cam Newton.

So yeah, when thinking of Pickles remember that Marty Hurney was literally dumb enough to try and trade away a first round pick to take Jimmy Clausen. Worse still it's entirely possible that had this trade succeeded Hurney would have ended up staring at the draft the following year without a first and second round pick, the worst team in the NFL literally would've been picking at best 33rd overall, at worst 65th overall because he traded them away to take Jimmy loving Clausen and Armanti loving Edwards. This not only would've taken away the chance for the Panthers to take Newton but also tanked their chances at both, Andy Dalton and Colin Kapernick (up until this year that would've been a big deal).

So while I'll always hate Pickles for being himself, I can't hate him too much because without him sucking fat balls we wouldn't have gotten rid of Hurney a few years later, wouldn't have ended up with Cam and if he wasn't such a lovely prospect other teams wouldn't have thought the Panthers were going after their guy instead of a poo poo QB with no future and likely taken the first rounder on offer for the chance to land him.

So thanks Jimmy.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Free Pickles

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I've blocked that entire season in Carolina out of my head. I never want to think about any of those games ever, ever again. But I'm glad Jimmy was there to tank us and get Cam.

Also, lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I remember a few weeks ago against Seattle when he ran 20 yards for a 4 yard first down and immediately got up to start talking poo poo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I select this thread to be this week's n/v

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

news: remember when fiz called out jimmy on twitter about pretending to have a girlfriend? lmao

views :

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Intruder posted:

I select this thread to be this week's n/v

hail, ming

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans have forsaken their savior TJ Yates, Brian Hoyer named starter vs the Saints

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I remember seeing Clausen and thinking "this motherfucker looks like Beavis."

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDka1iFtgw

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Please come to Baltimore Pickles. We need talent, and next year's draft might be full of it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chromatic posted:

I remember a few weeks ago against Seattle when he ran 20 yards for a 4 yard first down and immediately got up to start talking poo poo.

That game was hilarious.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The Chiefs are two victories away from controlling their own path to a Wild Card slot.

Bills
@Raiders
Chargers
@Ravens
Browns
Raiders

If they win out, the final game against Oakland likely has no impact on their playoff chances. What a turn around from 1-5, Jamaal is finished and Andy Reid is on the hot seat.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

More unlikely: Chiefs make the playoffs or Jaguars make the playoffs?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

LiquidFriend posted:

The Chiefs are two victories away from controlling their own path to a Wild Card slot.

Bills
@Raiders
Chargers
@Ravens
Browns
Raiders

If they win out, the final game against Oakland likely has no impact on their playoff chances. What a turn around from 1-5, Jamaal is finished and Andy Reid is on the hot seat.

Well I see at least one sure win there

Piggles
Oct 10, 2006

Wilson with the Hail Mary to Tate!

Ross Angeles posted:

Well I see at least one sure win there

I was about to say 2-3 but I see what you did there.

Hang in there Ross, it's almost over.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Okay I think it's time we start talking about firing Mike McCoy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Start?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Okay I think it's time we start talking about firing Mike McCoy
There should have been talk for awhile. But the actual talk should be about cleaning house entire.

San Diego really blew everything that Marty built.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry I have been on a posting vacation and assumed y'all were jizzing all over the Patriots or something in my absence.

I don't hate him as a person like I hate Norv Turner Who Should Die of AIDS, but McCoy is as ineffectual as Norv Turner who Should Be Targeted By ISIS at getting players to listen to him and maximizing talent.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 24, 2015

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Chargers
@Titans
Colts
Falcons
@Saints
@Texans

The Jags have the easiest remaining schedule in the league and are probably going to be 7-9 or 8-8 this season. That will best my 6-10 prediction and I'm not sure how to feel about this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LiquidFriend posted:

Bills
@Raiders
Chargers
@Ravens
Browns
Raiders

based on how the teams are playing... I think the Chiefs could continue to roll. The Raiders struggled against Detroit, we've already seen how inept the Chargers look, and the Ravens are starting Matt Schaub.

Their schedule is pretty darn easy compared to other teams.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans play the Patriots in a few weeks so they'll possibly have a chance to end a second undefeated season :getin:

e: Remaining schedule

vs Saints
@ Bills
vs Patriots
@ Colts
@ Titans
vs Jaguars

9-7 is possible but I don't imagine they'll do better than that

I'd guess 8-8

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 24, 2015

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

based on how the teams are playing... I think the Chiefs could continue to roll. The Raiders struggled against Detroit, we've already seen how inept the Chargers look, and the Ravens are starting Matt Schaub.

Their schedule is pretty darn easy compared to other teams.

The game that concerned me the most was @ Baltimore. That was until they lost their starting RB and QB.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
@Jaguars
vs Broncos
@Chiefs
vs Dolphins
@Raiders
@Broncos

I don't see another win on the schedule :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU