Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jecht
Jul 30, 2006
OP how the gently caress have neither of you found jobs? Honestly you shouldn't have even made this topic, you need to be combing through Craigslist and applying everywhere, applying for retail jobs all over the place, etc. It's not hard to find work, at all, if you make finding work your full-time job. You sound kind of entitled. It's the shopping season, there are tons of jobs in retail right now. Go get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Now, as far as I'm aware, I actually have no obligation to pay her a dime. We made no written agreement about the initial move-in fees that she opted to cover, and at best, out of a sense of friendly co-operation, I might have told her I'd pay her back when I can. Which is certainly not now, as she should know. It doesn't seem to click. Beyond that, I don't believe she has a case. She can't prove that I've said anything, and in all our written communications, I can't find a single reference to debts owed or payments agreed to.

If you're asking us if you can stiff her on the debt and get away with it - probably. You'd be an rear end in a top hat, but you're clearly looking for whatever angle you can use to rationalize it so I don't think that'll bother you that much.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

my impression after reading your op is that your friend is most likely not getting her money, ever. it's just the way you talk about the issue, how you already thinking about legal consequences of never paying it and you will not be able to get a job and so on. she is probably also getting this impression and panicking about her money.

quick overview of the situation for you: you stole $1000 from a longtime friend and she is pissed at you and doesn't trust you anymore

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hey OP I got probated for a week for being mean to Lowtax's wife about her doggies and my only regret WRT that week is that I was not here when this thread was fresh to call you a scumbag twonk.

If your friend fronts you a thou so you have a place to live when you arrive the first thing you do is either give them the thousand back or, if you have been robbed, go to them in extreme contrition and do everything you can to pay them back as soon as you're possibly able. I had someone do this for me once in my life before and I had the money ready for them in cash plus a fifty the minute I saw them and used a credit card to make up for the space because I valued them and their trust above a filthy tiny sum of cash. You no longer have a friend because you decided to keep money in your pocket that wasn't yours. Great. Hope it was worth it. Since you've destroyed that relationship by being subhuman you might as well pull a runner on her and just never pay her back. I mean, really gently caress her over and teach her a lesson instead of just kind of like you're doing now. Go all on in being crap. Just do it and get it over with. Why drag it out. You're never going to fix you anyway.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 1, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lowtax married his ex wife's dogs??? Which one is he up to now?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Lowtax married his ex wife's dogs??? Which one is he up to now?

What? No, that can't be. Weddings cost money.

(I know this because I was linked from the Bad With Money thread)

e: frankly I cannot tell whether OP or the roommate is the bigger idiot here, which is really saying something.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
My legal advice is to go gently caress yourself.

When I was 22, I was in a lovely living situation with a friend of mine, contentious just like yours is. We're friends now.

I was driving his drunk rear end home in his car, otherwise he would have killed us. I didn't drink- I was offered mint juleps, and nope. He was so distracting- yelling, moving around a lot, that I ended up backing into a pole during a three point turn at low speed, cracking his bumper. My fault, obviously, but he wasn't helping.

I was already pissed before it happened, that made things much worse, so when I said I'd pay his deductible, which was $1,000 (familiar?) I also had thoughts about refusing to pay. But I paid him. Why? I'm not a lovely person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 2, 2015

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If your roommate is paranoid about money, it may be because she has no income and only a few months of living expenses before her rear end is out on the street. In this situation, aka financial crisis, she is looking at all means of forestalling homelessness, such as collecting unpaid debts from a deadbeat roommate, reducing rent by getting out of a lovely living situation with a deadbeat roommate who can't pay their share, or getting said deadbeat roommate to move out and replacing them with someone willing and able to pay rent. If she was posting in this thread we'd all be calling her a retard for getting into this situation.

You are even more retarded. You have zero months of living expenses. This situation, aka severe, terrifying financial crisis, should impel you to do everything in your power to get a job, any job, right now. Getting a job in January, when the holiday rush is over and you are also homeless and developing weird odors, will be way harder.

Your roommate being mean to you is incredibly unimportant at the moment. Whether you should pay her or not (you should) is irrelevant because you can't. Whether she can force you to pay or not is irrelevant because you have no money. Whether she can have you evicted is irrelevant because that process will take longer than the two weeks it will take for you to completely run out of food and money and subsequently get arrested for stealing sauce packets from Taco Bell. Stop posting (maybe check BFC ) and get a job.

How many applications did you turn in today?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I hope your roommate gets your rear end whooped real bad when you don't pay up.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

She certainly hasn't been scrimping and saving any of the other several thousand dollars she's got.

What the gently caress does this even mean? She hasn't been scrimping and saving, but she managed to save "several thousand dollars"? A thousand of which you're currently benefiting from? And why would her spending habits have an effect on your verbal agreement (which is binding, by the way)? If she took you to small claims court, she'd win, unless you perjure yourself. Of course, you've already admitted online that you agreed to pay it back, so maybe perjury isn't your best option.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Despite that, I actually would have been able to pay my own way thus far, if my roommate hadn't reneged on her agreement to reimburse me for travel costs other than gas. I didn't choose to make an issue out of that at the time, because I thought we were friends, and that we could trust each other, and that it didn't matter as much as getting off to a harmonious start in a new place. My driving her vehicle here, packed with all of her stuff, saved her an estimate of over $4,000 in shipping. That's her price, that she quoted me. When this was brought up, suddenly the notion of a retroactive contract or agreement was not applicable, because it no longer stood to benefit her. I've been working on finding a job since I got here. Any job. I've been doing short term odd jobs to buy food and medicine with since. You can make a joke about prostitution if you wish.

I assume the lot of you are all gainfully employed, and that that gainful employment was the result of walking outside and shouting "someone give me a job, please," until someone gave you a job.

You think she owes you a bunch of money for letting you use her car to move out there? You sound like a real turd.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 3, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Hey OP I got probated for a week for being mean to Lowtax's wife about her doggies
What are we on, number three? Isn't she pregnant to boot?

Is the OP even reading this thread? Apparently not if he's posting about arcade game LPs.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

What are we on, number three? Isn't she pregnant to boot?

Is the OP even reading this thread? Apparently not if he's posting about arcade game LPs.

We're not on his side, so why should he bother anymore?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MassaShowtime posted:

Sorry OP but you are the idiot and you owe her the money.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

...purgery isn't your best option...

I think they should settle this purge-style.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Roommate also dumb, OP guilty of being retarded shiftless unemployed child *strikes gavel*

Next case on the docket, bailiff.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

You're a self-righteous turd OP. Focus less on how you've been wronged here, as the person who owes $1000 and sucks.

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!
I'm the roommate in your situation, and I'm going to let you know how it's going to go down.

At first it'll be nice, relaxed, you're assumed to not be a turd, but you are. And then the verbal abuse starts. Isolated incidents at first, but over time it grows into what some might consider full blown psychoogical torture. To spite you will become reason enough to do anything, removing access to any luxuries you enjoy that you yourself did not outright pay for. And this will continue, as she tries to break you. This is all assuming you are in fact on the lease, so she can't just call the cops and get your rear end hauled out.

But it won't work, because you're a piece of poo poo. So she'll move, recovering her damage deposit and telling you to get hosed by Thailand ladyboys. I sincerely hope you've found a new place to live OP, because I very much doubt you'll be living there as of February.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Scald posted:

Isolated incidents at first, but over time it grows into what some might consider full blown psychoogical torture. To spite you will become reason enough to do anything, removing access to any luxuries you enjoy that you yourself did not outright pay for.
I'm sorry you can't keep sneaking your roommate's fancy shampoo

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm sorry you can't keep sneaking your roommate's fancy shampoo

Hah, more like salt & pepper & cooking oil.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Chiming in to say gently caress you and that you're a lovely friend, OP.

Also, get a job or you'll be homeless. WTF were you thinking moving to a different city and new apartment with no money and no income?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Chiming in to say gently caress you and that you're a lovely friend, OP.

Also, get a job or you'll be homeless. WTF were you thinking moving to a different city and new apartment with no money and no income?

He obviously didn't know the difference between having a job and having a job if everything goes right.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
A/T > I need some legal advice, because I make lovely life choices!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, stupid bitch.

Its a good thing that company revoked their offer, because your attitude is below replacement-level.

Some of us busted our asses when the opportunities weren't there, and waited tables, scheduled job hunting activities, interned for free, did temp work, stayed up late putting together resumes with work product, filled out applications, sent letters to local businesses asking about references, researching and planning. We worked hard to find work, and we knew that the world didn't owe us poo poo, and we were going to have to earn it ourselves. We didn't worry about what other people might have gotten handed to them, because other people's lives weren't our lives to live. We were happy for people who didn't have to struggle like we did.

And we certainly didn't poo poo all over people who did us favors and helped us out. We were grateful, and apologetic, and we struggled with feeling helpless and feeling like a failure.

And now we're thankful for our station in life, and we respect ourselves because we were forced to earn it. Now, we struggle with finding new and good ways to show our gratitude to the people who helped us and stood up for us, and finding ways to pay it forward.

I'm telling you all this because (unless I guess your attitude changes) you will never experience the joy and pride that comes from real success. You will always look at people who have more than you do and be jealous and spiteful because you'll never perceive value in the things you have. Its really hard to get over here on the other side of the fence; thats why its so loving great.

Are you done jerking off about bootstraps? You didn't get wherever you are on merit alone. Nobody did. Get off your high horse.

OP: The dumbest thing you did was accept money without getting everything in writing. The second dumbest thing you did was come here for advice on the matter.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 6, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

KillHour posted:

Are you done jerking off about bootstraps? You didn't get wherever you are on merit alone. Nobody did. Get off your high horse.

OP: The dumbest thing you did was accept money without getting everything in writing. The second dumbest thing you did was come here for advice on the matter.

no man's an island but lmao if you think everyone else is a human tapeworm like the OP instead

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
The worst part about all of this is that we are only hearing your side of the story; you are deliberately making yourself out to look like the aggrieved party, and an entire thread of people still called you on your poo poo. The reality is likely so much worse than what we are inferring from your weaselly language.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is the OP living in a pile of garbage yet?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I can't imagine how you could even be slightly ok with having no money and no job in America. America is a nightmare place where no one cares about you. No wonder your friend is freaking out. She only has 2 grand and no job in America. If i was in your position I would be doing literally anything to get a job right now

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
It's ok because he sits around playing games.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
When did you move in?

You say they immediately started hassling you?

I get what everyone else is saying but if it really was "immediately" like you say, as in they agreed to pay this stuff, you moved in yesterday and they're already getting shouty and threatening court action then they are a bit out of order. if that's the case then they're probably not someone you'd want to live with medium to long term.

Or by "immediately" do you mean "I don't know like 3 months or something, get off my case whats the big deal"?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CabaretVoltaire posted:

When did you move in?

I get what everyone else is saying but if it really was "immediately" like you say, as in they agreed to pay this stuff, you moved in yesterday and they're already getting shouty and threatening court action then they are a bit out of order. if that's the case then they're probably not someone you'd want to live with medium to long term.

Or by "immediately" do you mean "I don't know like 3 months or something, get off my case whats the big deal"?

Haha do you really need to ask?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CabaretVoltaire posted:

When did you move in?

Between the part where his roommate suddenly started harassing him & his job transfer offer was suddenly revoked, I think OP was engaging in an impressive level of "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU EVERYTHING IS FINE."

Eagerly awaiting OP's new thread 3 months from now, when he's suddenly evicted because his roommate & the landlord suddenly got sick of his broke bullshit.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Suddenly got stabbed by a fellow hobo around a trash can fire.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just read through this thread and the funniest part is how the OP refers to the roommate as if she's some kind of Rockefeller because she has a few thousand dollars in the bank. I've lived the majority of the past decade with only a few thousand in the bank at any one time, and believe me, it creates a lot of stress in my life. The idea that 2-4 thousand is any kind of financial buffer in 2015 is ridiculously out of touch.

Jecht
Jul 30, 2006
Yeah the OP is completely out of touch, and it's funny to me that he stopped replying to this topic once people revealed to him that he's not in the right. I guess instead of job searching he felt that his "Let's Play!" arcade topic would be a better use of his time. Hopefully he ends up on the street or hits rock bottom in some other way soon so that he can finally get things turned around.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

the only thing dumb about your roommate OP is that she loaned money to your loser rear end, hth

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hey OP I just wanted to say that relocating can be really hard. It didn't work out this time. If you can't find a job tomorrow, call your old place of employment and ask if they'll take you back since the transfer didn't go through. Move back there, save up some money, pay off your $1000 debt, and next time put at least $5 grand in the bank before trying to move to a new city.

Failure sucks but accepting it will get you a lot further than wallowing in pity and despair as your rear end is kicked out of your roommate's apartment.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
It's funny how on page two she turned into a he, somewhere.

Anyway, OP, you're right next to California.
Just hop down and get on one of those game shows and win millions.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The op's abandoned the thread quite some time ago, but I think I'll add my own two cents since I've been in a remarkably similiar situation.

-Moved into an apartment and co-signed a lease with a good friend.
-Friend had a job but no savings, necessitating that I loaned them money for the first month's rent.
-I had recently quit my job, and had a fair bit of savings lying around. They disappeared alarmingly quickly.
-Friend's significant other had credit and a student loan.

Our finances ended up being quite the clusterfuck, with both of us upset at the other for owing each other money at different times and disagreeing over the amounts. I ended up in the hole and it took half a year working two part time jobs and borrowing money to get out of it, by which time the friendship was ruined. There were bad decisions (obviously), mental illness and substance abuse involved, but the biggest problem was ignoring the warning signs of impending financial doom.

The takeaway from all this is GET OUT NOW. OP and their friend have made a gamble and it failed. It's understandable that OP's roommate is freaking out, when they are liable for the lease. They need to get together and figure out an exit strategy. The most important thing is both of them situating themselves in a place where they aren't losing money. That almost certainly means moving home to family. Debts will have to be sorted out once they both have some sort of income. Maybe a friendship can be salvaged after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you're going to be homeless soon and you deserve it :)

God Bless America :911:

edit: I found this masterpiece. Can anyone find a 3rd example of a thread like this which has a title that asks for legal advice? If we can find 3 of them we can officially declare it a maxim and we'll know what to expect when it happens again.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 13, 2015

• Locked thread