Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
Problem description: My PC has been crashing repeatedly for the past day. The problem arose last night while I was playing Fallout 4. I had taken a two hour break from playing. I left the game on the pause screen for the duration of the break. My system froze shortly after resuming the game. Since then, Fallout 4 can't seem to run for more than 15 minutes without totally freezing my computer. My computer has also failed to boot several times. On one attempt, it didn't even load the Asus splash screen; only a single cursor at the top left hand corner of the screen.

Attempted fixes: Restarting several times. I suspect it might be the power supply or video card.

Recent changes: No new hardware

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

System specs: Intel Core i5 2500k, 8gb RAM, Radeon 78xx ( can't remember the exact model besides it's a Sapphire card; CPU-Z and Catalyst Control Center are vague), Cooler Master RS-600-PCAR-E3, Asus P8H61-M

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That's a really low quality power supply, so I'd swap it with a decent quality model from a good brand and see if that helps. If you still have issues, try running from onboard video. Unfortunately a bad power supply can cause similar symptoms to other failing components (including videocard), so it's hard to come to a conclusion without a good power supply in the system.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

Alereon posted:

That's a really low quality power supply, so I'd swap it with a decent quality model from a good brand and see if that helps. If you still have issues, try running from onboard video. Unfortunately a bad power supply can cause similar symptoms to other failing components (including videocard), so it's hard to come to a conclusion without a good power supply in the system.

Alrighty, thanks for the advice. I'll check out some power supplies on PCPartPicker.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
For bonus information. here's a very detailed review of your power supply showing the issues. I skipped straight to the test results, the power supply wasn't able to provide usable power at more than 450W, and literally caught fire when they attempted to draw the full 600W. That was when the power supply was brand new, as power supplies age they become less able to supply power cleanly, mostly due to aging of the capacitors. Your power supply uses low quality off-brand capacitors with a low temperature rating, so would age faster than normal. I think if you had spent like another $20 on a better power supply when you built the machine, it would still have plenty of margin to power the system, and would likely keep doing so until you were ready to retire the system. I hope it doesn't feel like I'm giving you crap for decisions you made a long time ago, I just think its important for everyone to keep in mind that if you need to save money it makes more sense to buy something a bit less fast rather than cutting corners on component quality.

• Locked thread