Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
hey i was wondering what it does feel like to work from home. i know some people on these forums do. I am at home right now but i am not working. Thanks cnad i can't w8 to hear some replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
feels good, man. I'm working right.

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

Juanito posted:

feels good, man. I'm working right.

thats cool what do you do?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

somuch_gravy posted:

thats cool what do you do?
I do programming for a software company. Used to be in an office, and then got permission to telecommute permanently. I've seen everybody in the company exactly 1 time in the last 3+ years.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I have a friend that's an author, he hates it. I think that's why most of them become raging alcoholics. He complains that as soon as he wakes up, he's in his office.

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

it feela dirty i keep scratching and smelling my finger

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
im drunk and nude 24/7

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
my favorite part of working from home is that I can stand up from my computer and I'm home. zero commute time, except sometimes when it takes me like a few seconds to get out of my chair because I'm so tired/lazy/drunk

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

Juanito posted:

I do programming for a software company. Used to be in an office, and then got permission to telecommute permanently. I've seen everybody in the company exactly 1 time in the last 3+ years.

Sounds like a cool gig. do you know see plus plus and java. i know those are cool ones to know

Mad Monk posted:

I have a friend that's an author, he hates it. I think that's why most of them become raging alcoholics. He complains that as soon as he wakes up, he's in his office.

sadly lots of good authors are alcoholics : (

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

i like it. some people 'have a hard time staying focused', but this is coded language for having a lovely assignment (or job).

most medium to large businesses use pc because its easy to manage a network of them; at home you can use your Apple Macintosh :gary:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

somuch_gravy posted:

Sounds like a cool gig. do you know see plus plus and java. i know those are cool ones to know

I just work with Java

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

somuch_gravy posted:

computers run entirely on javascript now

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I work from home Fridays. My company refuses to give us a laptop with a number pad despite working with numbers all the time, so careful planning is required throughout the week, doing extra work each day and saving the exact amount needed as draft emails to send out the next day. If executed properly my Fridays consist solely of sending out emails I've saved as drafts.

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

java is waht notch used to make the big successful game minecraft

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm a work from home business systems analyst so its conference calls in my underwear all day

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

somuch_gravy posted:

java is waht notch used to make the big successful game minecraft

if you use java do you have to make everything out of blocks? is that what they mean by "object oriented"

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

Parallax Scroll posted:

if you use java do you have to make everything out of blocks? is that what they mean by "object oriented"

mhm. small blocks in every computer. even macs

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

im drunk and nude 24/7

This but I do not work from home, so I dunno op.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

somuch_gravy posted:

mhm. small blocks in every computer. even macs

drat thats hosed up

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

im glad there are so many programmers on these forums. i know who to ask when I have problems hooking up my internet :keke:
also so many businessmen I can ask for advice when I start my app company.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
it feels like not working at all, because thats what you do when theres no boss around :twisted:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

op is "gay oriented"

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

Rutibex posted:

it feels like not working at all, because thats what you do when theres no boss around :twisted:

when someone says they're on SA while they're at work do they count it if they work from home

Parallax Scroll posted:

op is "gay oriented"

this post gets you moved from A tier to B tier posting for me. congrats

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

sorry op that was uncalled for

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

1500quidporsche posted:

I work from home Fridays. My company refuses to give us a laptop with a number pad despite working with numbers all the time, so careful planning is required throughout the week, doing extra work each day and saving the exact amount needed as draft emails to send out the next day. If executed properly my Fridays consist solely of sending out emails I've saved as drafts.

dang this is a pro fuckin move

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

Parallax Scroll posted:

sorry op that was uncalled for

it's alright. you're still "A"-okay by me

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Parallax Scroll posted:

drat thats hosed up

working at home, i was able to accomplish this in just minutes

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like op will never be the head of a major corporation. :smuggo:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I wish I could work from home, but I have to drive 20 minutes to work where I end up posting all day or playing diablo.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Whoa dang

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

drat this is some synergy

if i ran a java company you would be hired

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

real bang up job orienting those objects

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

thats what made it take a few minutes

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

apparently theres a part of java to code really fast called "orient express". I think theese are the blocks? Maybe someone who codes can help :shrug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient_Express

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

somuch_gravy posted:

apparently theres a part of java to code really fast called "orient express". I think theese are the blocks? Maybe someone who codes can help :shrug:

Sweet does it run on ruby rails?

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

looks like it to me

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

you could code a orient express tetris knockoff with jsut those cars and maybe another long one

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

somuch_gravy posted:

you are on the right track. you just need to build some stations, and these can be used to process the coal. coal = code. stations = compilers. the coal doesn't come from actual mines. it's from people who work remotely from India for cheap

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i want to work from home purely so i can get a dog and i dont understand how to get one when i have a normal job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
the train needs a little more pixelation. the more blocks, the better the code is.

• Locked thread