Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
I have designed a school currency I really like. However, I am trying to find a way to put a small text or design on it that will show up when printed, but is faint enough to not be picked up by printers (or at least hard enough that the average seventh grader won't be able to). As of now we are just printing the currency and in black and white. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there certain colors that don't show up well on black and white copiers? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

A lot of students will have access to quality scanners at home, so I'd say a printing on a distinctive paper or stock is a much easier way to prevent counterfeiting. Just make it something you have to get online, not something a kid could grab at Wal Mart or Office Depot. You could also consider an embossed or stamped design on top of the print. Especially if you could get one of those sequential number stamps banks use, and a distinct ink color like purple. Then every bill would be unique.

Keep in mind, you're not up against the average 7th grader - you're up against the 2-3 most crafty. Sounds kind of fun, to be honest.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Try misaligning the front and back slightly, so when you hold the paper to the light, there's an special alignment on the center. A kid would probably just center both designs, misaligning the special part.

You could also do the stamped design thing, but with one of those UV light only inks. Bonus points if you make the design pretty intricate, so it can't be easily copied.

Or put a special pattern with screen printing on the paper prior to printing the money pattern. The screen printing is distinct enough to leave a different "feel", one that can't be duplicated by digital printers, but it's cheap enough that you could get enough for a year's worth of school money if you do it in bulk, and an average student wouldn't want to go the trouble of copying the special pattern, then try and print their own because it uses some special stuff they couldn't get easily, and cost them more than it would cost you to comission to a printer.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
I wish you posted the design .This is a neat project and I wanna see it.

Let's see...some other specialty inks you could consider are glow-in-the-dark, metallic foils, or a spot varnish.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
The IT nerd in me says print serial numbers\qsigs on every sheet + a tracking database every time it exchanges hands. Grab one of the CS people.

Otherwise, maybe a spot for endorsing a bill every time it changes hands. You can print signatures, but printing different color pens, and the physical indentations left on the paper, as well as general wear and tear and have it look believable might be tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Who's going to check for counterfeits and in which circumstances ?

• Locked thread