Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

a bay posted:

It sounds really exciting to try to kill some thing that cant do any thing but run away

It's more like you're acting as an exterminator. I mean, I'm 100% for reintroducing wolves and cougars and bears to naturally control the population, but you gotta kill these drat things.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY-FKI_VOCg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

BLARGHLE posted:

My shotgun was $250, plus $40 for a hunting license, and another $20 or so for ammo. It's not cheap, by any means.

I use my dad's 12 gauge to hunt small game. He paid $20 for it at Kmart in 1980.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
Whats the going rate on a mosin nagant now? $120?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

A misanthrope posted:

when cops go deer hunting they all like "i think the one on the left has a gun! STOP RESISTING"

I love you.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

a bay posted:

It sounds really exciting to try to kill some thing that cant do any thing but run away

You should cage fight a deer

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

diamond joe likes a little action from time to time

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
more like beer season :smug:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I actually might ask my uncle to take me deer hunting with my cousins this year.
The fuckers ate my nice beans and chives this year. :mad:

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

I actually might ask my uncle to take me deer hunting with my cousins this year.
The fuckers ate my nice beans and chives this year. :mad:

You better be ready to watch the lifeblood of an animal pump out of its wound as it struggles to breathe while you chamber the next round to end this creature's suffering. If you're lucky it won't make eye contact as you pull the trigger a final time.

E: but once you get past that, venison is super tasty and healthy. Free range organic grass fed hormone free meat. Idk why hippies don't like hunting.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

babies havin rabies posted:

How do I start hunting deer? Nobody in my family hunts, some of my relatives believe hunting/fishing is cruel (they are wrong, for deer are a cruelty inflicted on us). Is there a class I can take? Can I just get slugs for my 870 and some orange camo and go sit in a tree? Just how much do these fuckers weigh gutted, can I carry or drag it back to my car without a 4x4 or something? How do I not get dead deer all over the trunk of my car? Am I just getting hung up on the finer details here?

Lots of states have hunter safety classes and you might even be required to take one if you're young enough (born after 1985-ish? where I am, for example). Either way it's a good idea if you've never hunted before, they'll teach you a lot of what's involved in addition to the basic safety stuff.

You'll need to at least learn how to dress a deer after you kill it (basically get all the guts and non edible stuff out). This isn't too hard and there are lots of YouTube videos out there. Knowing how to process deer (the actual butchering / turning it into food) is useful, but there's nothing wrong with having that done professionally, especially for your first time.

What kind of gun you can use varies; you'll need to check your local regulations. They come in little booklets you can get for free at the sporting goods store. Generally it will be rifle and/or shotgun + slug.

You'll need some blaze orange clothes. Your regulations will probably have a precise minimum amount you have to wear in square inches but this usually amounts to a vest. Orange hat isn't a bad idea either. Deer are colorblind and can't really see you too well if you hold still, so this has no effect on your deer stealthiness.

Gutted deer are still fairly heavy but aren't too hard to drag. Some guys use little carts with bike wheels on them, or a cheap plastic sled if there's snow. Don't put a dead deer in your trunk, either tie it to the outside of your car somewhere or borrow a truck.

Good luck, I hope by next year you will be doing your part to combat the hooved menace

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

deer are scum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cQTaZQ-2jw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Killing deer is important, do it.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
how about we talk more about controlling the human population? then maybe we can talk about controlling the deer population.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I once shot so much deer and bison I could put it all in the wagon

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

A misanthrope posted:

how about we talk more about controlling the human population? then maybe we can talk about controlling the deer population.

How do I get started hunting humans? What are our most succulent cuts of meat? If the victim is in extreme pain or fear does that affect the meat quality?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nigmaetcetera posted:

How do I get started hunting humans? What are our most succulent cuts of meat? If the victim is in extreme pain or fear does that affect the meat quality?

the answer to all these questions is: "i dont know but lets find out"

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

A misanthrope posted:

the answer to all these questions is: "i dont know but lets find out"

You go first. I'll watch the news reports and make up my mind based on how your sentencing goes.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Make sure you bring a gallon Ziploc with you hunting deer. The heart and liver are really good. I've never tried the kidneys because I was always told growing up that deer kidneys taste like piss. However, something something, goons liking a gamey piss taste joke.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I used to deer hunt, then I moved to a state with a massive season that lets you run deer with dogs, so the deer are all tiny and trying to bow hunt down here is a waste of time.

Seriously whats the point of running deer with dogs?

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Deer is loving gross. That poo poo is cat food.

Don't eat deer from the south, or the west, really only eat deer that live near corn or soy fields, they have the best meat, everything else tastes like poo poo when you get corn-fed venison.

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 26, 2015

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
At our ranch my grandparents have corn feeders for the deer and they taste pretty drat good. It makes hunting them convenient, too, because you can usually just sit near the feeder and some will usually show up. Sometimes when you shoot one, the others don't run away and they put their heads back down and keep eating as one of their compatriots bleeds to death 10 feet away.

i enjoy many things about deer death

naem
May 29, 2011

Deer are beautiful, majestic creatures, it's just that their only survival mechanism is RUN AWAY or MAKE BABIES

Car driving at you? Hold VERY still, maybe it won't see you. Then, at the last minute, jump RIGHT INTO the windshield.

Long winter? Too many deer, not enough food? Dead deer? MAKE BABIES, MAKE EVEN MORE BABIES AWW YEAH JUST BABY MAKING THATLL FIX IT

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wulfolme posted:

At our ranch my grandparents have corn feeders for the deer and they taste pretty drat good. It makes hunting them convenient, too, because you can usually just sit near the feeder and some will usually show up. Sometimes when you shoot one, the others don't run away and they put their heads back down and keep eating as one of their compatriots bleeds to death 10 feet away.

i enjoy many things about deer death

I bowhunt and don't use feeders because im not a 7 year old boy who has to kill something or I will be sad.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

naem posted:

Deer are beautiful, majestic creatures, it's just that their only survival mechanism is RUN AWAY or MAKE BABIES

Car driving at you? Hold VERY still, maybe it won't see you. Then, at the last minute, jump RIGHT INTO the windshield.

Long winter? Too many deer, not enough food? Dead deer? MAKE BABIES, MAKE EVEN MORE BABIES AWW YEAH JUST BABY MAKING THATLL FIX IT

does their population grow at a faster or slower rate than the human population?

which species is really crazy about makin thae babby

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

im just saying theres some hypocrisy here

deer are prtty chill and i dont think we need all these people

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

FogHelmut posted:

It's more like you're acting as an exterminator. I mean, I'm 100% for reintroducing wolves and cougars and bears to naturally control the population, but you gotta kill these drat things.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY-FKI_VOCg

Lmao on the second video as soon as I heard the woman start to scream I was like yeah you don't gently caress with mama's babies bitch. Get away wolf descendant. This is my motherfucking child.

naem
May 29, 2011

A misanthrope posted:

does their population grow at a faster or slower rate than the human population?

which species is really crazy about makin thae babby

They pretty much just gently caress and give birth until they can't all fit and die, and we killed off most the the animals that eat them to keep it somewhat in check

This is also true of deer

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

naem posted:

This is also true of deer

lolol

in my opinion i think it'd be cool to reintroduce predators and stop killin stuff directly. maybe do some family planning and learn to coexist with the ecosystem. but while im wishing for impossible hippy poo poo i might as well ask for world peace and 1997 heather graham to sit on my face

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
i helped butcher a deer the other day and it was really cool and you could probably do it with watching one youtube video. we did the thing where you skin the deer with a pick up truck it was sick

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nneTTeoPDYU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
also gently caress the people that come down from kansas city and saint louis and kill deer, cut the horns off and leave the carcass( HIGHLY ILLEGAL). my dogs have dragged 2 rotting deer up to my back porch in the last week

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

A misanthrope posted:

lolol

in my opinion i think it'd be cool to reintroduce predators and stop killin stuff directly. maybe do some family planning and learn to coexist with the ecosystem. but while im wishing for impossible hippy poo poo i might as well ask for world peace and 1997 heather graham to sit on my face

1997 heather graham? Come on dude...

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Full Metal Jackass posted:

1997 heather graham? Come on dude...

what year was boogie nights? i want that one

naem
May 29, 2011

A misanthrope posted:

1997 heather graham to sit on my face

A misanthrope posted:

1997 heather graham

A misanthrope posted:

to sit on my face

A misanthrope posted:

H-heather ggg gggggg

A misanthrope posted:

homina homina homina

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

how did you read my thoughts???

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
i was gonna post that anyone who knows when deer season is hangs a confederate flag in their room somewhere lo and behold

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

momerath posted:

i was gonna post that anyone who knows when deer season is hangs a confederate flag in their room somewhere lo and behold

haha eyah man im with you what time is the anime game steam sale season again?

fat millennial bitch

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

extra stout posted:

fat millennial bitch

No reason to slander tubby here, it's not his fault his father never taught him how to be a man.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

extra stout posted:

fat millennial bitch

*grits teeth and begins shakeing violently* ddont.. dont sign... urgggghhhhg

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Don't call it deer hunting call it tick hunting because realistically you're killing a lot more of those fuckers than deer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Sometimes deer wear orange just like hunters!

• Locked thread