Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

Apparently not bulletproof though.

So what was the deal with this guy? Why were cops called on him? I saw some asian guy with his hood up pointing to the cops in the video, "to go down that street!"

Did he gently caress up some guys car while on PCP?

someone called in reports of a man with a knife breaking into cars and when the coppers showed up they saw this guy prancing down the street with a knife in his hand and he wouldn't stop when they told him to stop so they were like "send someone with a tazer please" but then officer rambo showed up and that was all she wrote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

proof of concept posted:

someone called in reports of a man with a knife breaking into cars and when the coppers showed up they saw this guy prancing down the street with a knife in his hand and he wouldn't stop when they told him to stop so they were like "send someone with a tazer please" but then officer rambo showed up and that was all she wrote

lol none of these pigs had a taser?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bug Bill Murray posted:

lol none of these pigs had a taser?

apparently not? That's just what the papers said happened

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
another young black man electrocuted by asphalt....smdh

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

proof of concept posted:

apparently not? That's just what the papers said happened

You'd figure every squad car would carry one......seems smart

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

4outof5 posted:

Why is the prosecutor over reaching for first degree murder? Going to let that pig fly doing that.

oh you think?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

the trump tutelage posted:

I doubt the kind of sociopathic hate monger who would execute a black guy in cold blood (ie. calmly and deliberately) would do it in front of a bunch of other officers and potential witnesses. I find it more believable that the cop was a twitchy idiot whose subconscious prejudices led to him making a bad decision in the heat of the moment.

Dude should be locked up but this wasn't American History X.

One of the main traits of psychopaths and sociopaths is that they have no fear of consequences. So yeah, they totally would.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Haverchuck posted:

oh you think?

it's happened before actually :shrug:

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
when are the reactionaries going to start blaming the guy for being too rambunctious

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Fansy posted:

when are the reactionaries going to start blaming the guy for being too rambunctious

shouldn't have been walking so blackly.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

CruJones posted:

Them's some good Polish (possibly some German, too) genes right there.

his name is van dyke so hes probably dutch

theres a reason they call em swamp germans

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Fansy posted:

or on PCP.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BigBoss posted:

I guess cars in the 70s were really unstable and had a tendency to roll over.

Duh, we built almost a whole decade of entertainment out of that fact.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Orkin Mang posted:

what a blockhead!! talk about your silly haircuts!! a true clown...

What Im trying to say is the guy was a real JERK!

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

TheIllestVillain posted:

his name is van dyke so hes probably dutch

theres a reason they call em swamp germans

he looks like a swamp thing.

I know its hard to hit a non center mass with your gun but seriously couldnt you at least try shooting him in the knee? I mean he fired enough bullets as is clearly maybe the third or fourth would have hit.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Microwaves Mom posted:

I know its hard to hit a non center mass with your gun but seriously couldnt you at least try shooting him in the knee? I mean he fired enough bullets as is clearly maybe the third or fourth would have hit.

If he did shoot him in the knee and he bled out and died anyway (or had to have his leg amputated or whatever) everyone would be bitching and moaning about the cruel inhumane practice of shooting suspects in the limbs was. Just like the sleeper hold was, and how tasers are now. Oh no grandma got tasered we need a congressional hearing.

What I'm trying to say is that the cops should just mag dump their guns into every single suspect regardless of race or crime. We wouldn't need prisons anymore, and there would be no repeat offenders.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Microwaves Mom posted:

I know that all the gun nuts will come out of the woodwork for this one, but I finally get a chance to bust out some knowledge. The Army manual on close range marksmanship explicitly states that center mass is not ideal and that incapacitating shots are preferred:

Army Field Manual 3_22-9 - Rifle Marksmanship posted:

7-184. Most short-range engagements will be decided by who hits his target with the first round. During
this type of engagement, it is more important to put the target down as quickly as possible than it is to kill
him immediately

7-185. Soldiers must aim at the lethal zone (center of mass) of the body. Although shots to the center of
the body may prove to be eventually fatal, they may not immediately incapacitate the target. A shot that
does not immediately incapacitate the target may be no better than a clean miss
. Because of this, and the
possible presence of military equipment or protective vests, Soldiers must also be able to engage targets
with incapacitating shots

Between that and the fact that European police forces have absolutely no problem shooting incapacitating shots, to answer your question factually, there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't try to shoot him in the knee, other than lazy legalism.

An example of lazy legalism is this: when I was living in Georgia, I was told by law enforcement that if I ever had to use my gun in self defense, I should kill the other person so that there would be no opposing legal argument, the case would be one sided with me claiming self defense and nobody else to argue against it.

You can bet that's why cops are quick to kill anybody they decide to shoot at.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody mentioned how that black man channeled Michael Jackson right before meeting asphalt.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
As a former reserve deputy, there is not a better game than to play hide the batton with a perp. At least. that is what you'd like them to think.

TEAH SYAG fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 25, 2015

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Microwaves Mom posted:

maiming people is super 3rd world and uncivilized. the only acceptable and legal method of defending your life with a gun is to mag dump into center mass, for a lot of different reasons.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

My Q-Face posted:

I know that all the gun nuts will come out of the woodwork for this one, but I finally get a chance to bust out some knowledge. The Army manual on close range marksmanship explicitly states that center mass is not ideal and that incapacitating shots are preferred:

Between that and the fact that European police forces have absolutely no problem shooting incapacitating shots, to answer your question factually, there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't try to shoot him in the knee, other than lazy legalism.

An example of lazy legalism is this: when I was living in Georgia, I was told by law enforcement that if I ever had to use my gun in self defense, I should kill the other person so that there would be no opposing legal argument, the case would be one sided with me claiming self defense and nobody else to argue against it.

Since you probably have never been in the military, nor the police, and (I'm assuming) never been under fire, there isn't a lot of room for finesse when someone is shooting at you with a weapon that can kill you dead. Aim center mass. Its easy to armchair quarterback on any sunday.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
every cop needs to be an old timey trick pistol quickdraw artist that can lone ranger pting! shoot the knife out of the guy's hand in less than the time it takes to blink, that would be so fuckin cool

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

My Q-Face posted:

Do you actually have a source to back this up because it would be cool if it were true but I have a hard time believing that it's actually true

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
im pretty sure it violates some kind of international law to maim ppl on purpose and that it is most emphatically not a cool thing to do

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've had a police training officer tell me that once the decision to shoot has been made, training dictates that the officer shoot and keep shooting until the gun is empty.
I'm guessing that this is to make sure that a threat is neutralized for certain. In this situation, I think shooting in the first place was not a good idea.

In Toronto, there's a cop on trial right now for a very similar shooting. Cop fired multiple times into a knife - wielding teen, killing him. Said teen was in an empty streetcar and not a threat to anybody at that time. I doubt the officer will be found guilty, just as this one will probably get away with it too.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
The context of the army manual is going to be shooting at other well armed guys in body armor, likely behind cover. It seems to be advocating that taking any shot at all is better than sitting there trying to shoot through a sandbag and a Kevlar vest when you could just adjust the sight picture a bit and catch an exposed limb.

The context in this shooting is a lone guy walking down the street out in the open wearing a tshirt and jeans. Who is surrounded by well armed guys in body armor and behind cover.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
If cops are so poo poo scared of knives maybe they should all wear chainmail and start strutting around like the City Watch in Game of Thrones. It'd look pretty cool.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

My Q-Face posted:

I don't think you realize that the thing you are citing uses the term "incapacitating shot" to mean a bullet to the brain or spine. That is absolutely not talking about shooting someone in the knee. It could theoretically be talking about blowing somebody's arms off, I guess.

They're using the first degree murder charge to protect this cop. They are over charging. It's very unlikely a jury will give a first degree murder conviction for this. 2nd, 3rd, or manslaughter convictions, all would be quite possible jury outcomes. The jury will acquit on the first degree charge, and he'll skate.

Hurricane
Jan 9, 2005
Arctic Hill

proof of concept posted:

Do you actually have a source to back this up because it would be cool if it were true but I have a hard time believing that it's actually true

This is just for Finland, but here are the statistics about firearm usage in the Finnish Police between 2003 and 2013. Link in Finnish here (google translate does a reasonable job of translating it). http://yle.fi/uutiset/poliisin_aseenkaytto_johtaa_harvoin_kuolemaan/7738709

free photo hosting

So of 385 cases, 304 times the police just threathened to use the gun (but did eventually not), and in 80 cases did use guns. In total 122 shots were fired (of them 40 warning shots), which resulted in 20 wounded and 2 dead. This during a period of 10 years. So for every 10 shots to the leg, 1 ends up being deadly.

As an additional small point, the statistics are a bit skewed due to a case in 2011 when police tried to stop a lorry by firing a lot of rounds on the motor of the vehicle.

Hurricane fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 25, 2015

lfield
May 10, 2008
Hopefully anyone bringing the tactic of incapacitating shots to the US would remember to totally rework the training and attitude of American cops

As it is they'd probably just hear "It's okay to shoot people in the knees now" and start using that in place of their taser

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Hurricane posted:

This is just for Finland, but here are the statistics about firearm usage in the Finnish Police between 2003 and 2013. Link in Finnish here (google translate does a reasonable job of translating it). http://yle.fi/uutiset/poliisin_aseenkaytto_johtaa_harvoin_kuolemaan/7738709

free photo hosting

So of 385 cases, 304 times the police just threathened to use the gun (but did eventually not), and in 80 cases did use guns. In total 122 shots were fired (of them 40 warning shots), which resulted in 20 wounded and 2 dead. This during a period of 10 years. So for every 10 shots to the leg, 1 ends up being deadly.

As an additional small point, the statistics are a bit skewed due to a case in 2011 when police tried to stop a lorry by firing a lot of rounds on the motor of the vehicle.

Maybe Finns are like trolls, I'm sure the confirmed deaths happened when the perp was killed while on fire.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

just watched the video and the discrepancy between the cops saying he charged them and the film of him walking off to the side is troubling. i dont want to jump the gun but i think the cops might have been telling a fib

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
chicago pd was guantanamoing the poo poo out of black people in the 70s and 80s (and probably still) like electrocuting and burning and breaking bones and mock executions to send them to death row

only one guy got convicted and it took till 2010 and he's already out

i guess what im saying is the only good cop is a dead cop particularly in chicago

lfield
May 10, 2008
""Officers remained in their car and followed McDonald as he walked south on Pulaski Road. More officers arrived and police tried to box the teen in with two squad cars, Camden said. McDonald punctured one of the squad car's front passenger-side tires and damaged the front windshield, police and Camden said.

Officers got out of their car and began approaching McDonald, again telling him to drop the knife, Camden said. The boy allegedly lunged at police, and one of the officers opened fire."

- what the police were saying a year ago, lol

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

lfield posted:

. The boy allegedly lunged at police, and one of the officers opened fire."

Must have been a phase-lunge, i didnt even see it.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
I really wouldn't get caught up on him emptying his gun into the dude or shooting him on the ground. It's shocking at first but the knife was folded up so it would have looked like metal in his hand which could in the dark be mistaken for a small pocket .380 and the kid never let what he was holding go so in the cops mind it still would have been viewed as a threat even on the ground. Also as others have said some departments teach people to "dump the clip" in the parlance of our time. I really think they're going to have a tough time proving murder it was a really stupid thing for the prosecutor to go after a headline with first degree murder when even from the video it's clearly not even before we get the rest of the evidence.

I hate to sound like a broken record but if a cop tells you to stop and put your hands up while you're holding a weapon what the gently caress makes you think that's going to go any other way but REAL bad when you don't? I mean even with the South Carolina cop where the cop was absolutely 100% in the wrong could have been avoided by not running from the cops.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
what a surprise the confederacy and imperialism and slavery lover sides with this guy

im having a loving heart attack im so startled

e: im not sure why i bothered typing all those out when i could have just gone with "white supremacist" it was probably the shock

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Moridin920 posted:

at this point I feel like Judge Dredd might even be an improvement because at least he won't kill you for nothing at all

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

part of the problem is the way we train police

they sit them down and make them watch all these dash cam videos of cops getting overtaken by unarmed dudes -- and have em run drills where they have to shoot a guy who is charging at them from across the room with a knife

they fill their heads with this nonsense about how their job is ULTRA SUPER DANGEROUS AND THEY COULD DIE AT ANY MINUTE HOLY poo poo without talking about the actual statistics of how likely it is that they will encounter such a situation. It's why cops are such giant pussies who will pull out their gun and start firing wildly a the drop of a pin. They are taught to be super afraid of everyone and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

to reiterate -- cops are super big pussies

like holy poo poo are cops giant weeping vaginas

• Locked thread