Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I remember the North by Northwest-esque episode where the one clone discovers there's a day zero exploit in he and all his siblings MINDS for the order 66 and tries to investigate/blow the whistle being pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ignorant Hick posted:

There is noticeable improvement around the midway point of season 3, but anyone who considers it something worthwhile for adults is kidding themselves. Probably a good show for the age group, but I regret sitting through the whole thing.

Why wouldn't it be worthwhile for anyone who wants it to be? Even children's entertainment can be fun for all age groups

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first season is actually pretty good, and the second season starts really strong but ends badly. Season 3 is a mixed bag with a good start and a great end, and then Season 4 just sort of faffs about while 5 is terrible and 6 actually had some okay stories and some truly awful ones.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It's a nice show for Star Wars fans of all ages.

But if you skip a Jar Jar episode you won't miss anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It's a nice show for Star Wars fans of all ages.

But if you skip a Jar Jar episode you won't miss anything.

Naw man, the Jar Jar/Mace Windu Buddy cop episodes are the best.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

Why wouldn't it be worthwhile for anyone who wants it to be? Even children's entertainment can be fun for all age groups

I'm saying that if he considered the first few episodes to be too juvenile for him then he probably won't get anything out of the rest of it. I've enjoyed Pixar movies and stuff like the new Samurai Jack season until it took a nose dive in the fourth episode, it's not like I just dislike anything aimed at a wider age group. But I honestly don't know what an adult sees in that show.

Like, I guess if you can will yourself into liking whatever you watch, cool, watch if you want. But I don't think most people over the age of 15 are gonna get much out of it.

And lol like I was going to sit through any episode that focused on Jar Jar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Naw man, the Jar Jar/Mace Windu Buddy cop episodes are the best.

Unironically the best episodes of Season 6.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes-every-star-wars-fan-should-watch/

How does this list look? I've only seen half of the first season but I was thinking of just watching the episodes recommended here.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I just want a Republic Commando 2 game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

omg chael crash posted:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes-every-star-wars-fan-should-watch/

How does this list look? I've only seen half of the first season but I was thinking of just watching the episodes recommended here.

Skip Deathtrap, R2 Come Home and Lethal Trackdown. They're pretty bad.

The Umbara trilogy is fantastic.

Ignore Voices, Destiny and Sacrifice altogether unless you want an even stupider addition to the Force than the Brother and Sister manifestations from Season 3.

Most of the others on the list are okay to good. There's a few that are really dumb on there, but they rely on your tolerance for Darth Maul's resurrection to wager whether they are good or not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arcsquad12 posted:

Skip Deathtrap, R2 Come Home and Lethal Trackdown. They're pretty bad.

The Umbara trilogy is fantastic.

Ignore Voices, Destiny and Sacrifice altogether unless you want an even stupider addition to the Force than the Brother and Sister manifestations from Season 3.

Most of the others on the list are okay to good. There's a few that are really dumb on there, but they rely on your tolerance for Darth Maul's resurrection to wager whether they are good or not.

It appears except for Umbara you have bad taste.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsterEnvy posted:

It appears except for Umbara you have bad taste.

The first Mandalore trilogy is good, the second one is bad. Also, I said the rest are okay to good. None of the ones listed are particularly egregious, but those three Boba Fett episodes and the Yoda episodes all loving suuuuck.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first Mandalore trilogy is good, the second one is bad. Also, I said the rest are okay to good. None of the ones listed are particularly egregious, but those three Boba Fett episodes and the Yoda episodes all loving suuuuck.

Thats why I said you have bad taste.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats why I said you have bad taste.

Well aright then, what is your idea of a good Clone Wars episode?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I thought most episodes were pretty great except for the all droid plus frog guy arc. Except for the very last scene there was not a single good thing in those episodes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well aright then, what is your idea of a good Clone Wars episode?

Those episodes are good.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Remember when they changed Korriban to Moraband for no good reason?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

My favorite part of the first Battlefront was driving the droid tanks, and I'm glad to see them return.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Those episodes are good.

The Yoda episodes do the Gollum routine immediately after they did an episode with Sifo-Diyas doing the Gollum routine. They are crappy, and explaining that the Force is dictated by a Father, a Brother and a Sister and a bunch of floating carnival masks was a terrible idea.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Remember when they changed Korriban to Moraband for no good reason?

Oh there was a reason. Lucas thought that Korriban sounded too much like Coruscant and thought people would confuse the two, so he renamed the planet known for the tombs of Sith Lords to "Dead Planet", aka Moribund, aka Moraband. And of course, Dave Filoni is one of the biggest yes men to ever work for Lucasfilm, so he made the change without hesitation.

Really, the reason I dislike the later seasons so much is because they utterly fail to capitalize on any momentum started in the first three seasons. The episodes where Ahsoka goes on the run from the Order because she was framed are super frustrating because the show spent next to no time developing her relationships with characters other than Anakin. So when they realize they needed a "close friend" to be the one to betray her, they chose Barriss Offee. Who hadn't had a speaking role since season 3 where she had a two second cameo.
Plot threads get mashed together with no cohesion because they needed to wrap things up, so you get out of left field nonsense like Darth Maul becoming lord of the Mandalorians, to an episode that exists solely to write the Nightsisters out of the show because they have no idea what to do with them. And the utterly bizarre idea of mixing the Nightsisters and Darth Maul and Savage together in the first place.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 1, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There are good, bad, and absolute trash episodes throughout. I think it's on a generally improving curve, and it gets a little less kiddy as it goes along (showing people getting killed is pretty rare in kids TV, Clone Wars has some bits where heroes execute people, people tortured to death with electricity, flamethrowered, or bisected by a murderous door.)

The show is always goofy and simplistic, but as the budget inflates it sees a marked jump in quality. In particular, Later on they start to indulge some pretty fun ideas with the anthology format. There's an arc that does a Kaiju movie. An undercover cop in prison arc. Dirty dozen style mercenary adventures. high fantasy stuff with witches complete with cauldrons. It goes all over the place.

The dialogue is clunky poo poo from beginning to end.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ShineDog posted:

There are good, bad, and absolute trash episodes throughout. I think it's on a generally improving curve, and it gets a little less kiddy as it goes along (showing people getting killed is pretty rare in kids TV, Clone Wars has some bits where heroes execute people, people tortured to death with electricity, flamethrowered, or bisected by a murderous door.)

I reminded of the scene were Ashoka jumps up and decapitates 4 Deathwatch Mandalorians on screen as the perfect example of that.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Yoda episodes do the Gollum routine immediately after they did an episode with Sifo-Diyas doing the Gollum routine. They are crappy, and explaining that the Force is dictated by a Father, a Brother and a Sister and a bunch of floating carnival masks was a terrible idea.

Oh there was a reason. Lucas thought that Korriban sounded too much like Coruscant and thought people would confuse the two, so he renamed the planet known for the tombs of Sith Lords to "Dead Planet", aka Moribund, aka Moraband. And of course, Dave Filoni is one of the biggest yes men to ever work for Lucasfilm, so he made the change without hesitation.

Really, the reason I dislike the later seasons so much is because they utterly fail to capitalize on any momentum started in the first three seasons. The episodes where Ahsoka goes on the run from the Order because she was framed are super frustrating because the show spent next to no time developing her relationships with characters other than Anakin. So when they realize they needed a "close friend" to be the one to betray her, they chose Barriss Offee. Who hadn't had a speaking role since season 3 where she had a two second cameo.
Plot threads get mashed together with no cohesion because they needed to wrap things up, so you get out of left field nonsense like Darth Maul becoming lord of the Mandalorians, to an episode that exists solely to write the Nightsisters out of the show because they have no idea what to do with them. And the utterly bizarre idea of mixing the Nightsisters and Darth Maul and Savage together in the first place.

Yeah you just have bad taste.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I always found the animation for the show to be completely unremarkable. It was so boring I couldn't keep my attention focused.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Beastie posted:

I always found the animation for the show to be completely unremarkable. It was so boring I couldn't keep my attention focused.

It is aggressively bland. It's like the animation version of those funko dolls that barely resemble the likeness they're going for in this ovoid, dead-eyed way. I mean I realize the whole reason is that it's probably quicker and cheaper, but that comes with a serious trade-off in dynamism and visual interest.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Skoll posted:

I just want a Republic Commando 2 game.

I would give my body for a star wars game with a The Division type experience and not made by ubisoft

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I would give my body for a star wars game with a The Division type experience and not made by ubisoft

So you're asking for EA to do an MMO.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It is aggressively bland. It's like the animation version of those funko dolls that barely resemble the likeness they're going for in this ovoid, dead-eyed way. I mean I realize the whole reason is that it's probably quicker and cheaper, but that comes with a serious trade-off in dynamism and visual interest.

The animation definately lacks panache (some space battles aside) but at least the almost woodcut marionette style to the characters is a look. It's a polarising look at best, but it's an actual style.

For true blandness, you look to Rebels.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

vyst posted:

lmao yeah im sure The Division as published by EA will be a much better experience for all

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I reminded of the scene were Ashoka jumps up and decapitates 4 Deathwatch Mandalorians on screen as the perfect example of that.

Yeah you just have bad taste.

No u.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, how did Rebels end up treating Thrawn?

And is Mara Jade on the show yet?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Deakul posted:

They let Thrawn do the Patton scene with facing down a strafing fighter with his sidearm.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Thrawn is primarily known for shooting at clouds

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deakul posted:

Mara Jade is not likely to show up.

Thrawn is pretty awesome.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can't have Mara Jade stealing Rey's thunder.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I always considered clone wars to be primarily the character story arc for Ahsoka as much as anything. With the occasional dumb Jar-Jar episode.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

They lost me at Zero The Hutt.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Steve Vader posted:

They lost me at Zero The Hutt.

^Ziro

Who is in the movie, and then maybe 3 Episodes besides that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah its small arcs and episodes if they are on what you think is some.bullshit skip ahead an ep or 3 and they're off it. Even if u dont like skyguy and snips there's some without em

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Ziro is absolutely train wreck television though and I can understand not wanting to watch the show after that for even a second.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Heck yeahs! My Xbox One X is shipping early. Originally it wasn't gonna ship until the end of the month but I just got email it's on it's way for Tues delivery.

I'm gonna play Battlefront 2 with MAX TERAFLOPS in ultra 4k or some poo poo! Awesome! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Finally looked at my calendar, wtf is this Friday release day poo poo?

• Locked thread