Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skoll posted:

You can unlock like four alien heads once you rank to level 40.

Not that I've seen more than a handful of people use them.

Yeah but its like four alien heads, only one gender of each race, and only at level 40. There should be more options and sprinkled throughout the levels, this is star wars.

Hopefully the dlc will add a few options, like Wookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but its like four alien heads, only one gender of each race, and only at level 40. There should be more options and sprinkled throughout the levels, this is star wars.

Hopefully the dlc will add a few options, like Wookies.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. If you read my posts in the last thread, one of my biggest issues with this game is how they made a cosmetics system and then completely dropped the ball with it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the diversity is really good, although the lack of alien races is pretty egregious.

Good thing I got the DLC on the cheap from Mexico :)

It's a nice touch for the Rebels but I don't understand why anyone would want to play a helmet-less Stormtrooper

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Daily Forecast posted:

I think it's worth mentioning that you can get this game for like $40 on Origin.com if you use a Mexican IP to put it into your cart before you buy it.

I'm going to quote myself from the previous thread as a guide to doing this without going through too much fuckery:

Moartoast posted:

Use a Mexican VPN (FlyVPN's trial accounts have one for Mexico City that works just fine) and log into the Origin client on it (make sure two-step authentication is set up, just in case), it should list the game at about $40 USD and the season pass at $33 USD, use Paypal to pay (and log off the VPN at checkout when you're about to log into Paypal, obviously) and you're golden. Key sites don't seem to have it for any cheaper, and have been having issues due to the game unlocking later for some regions outside the US.

Don't worry about banning/revoking or whatever, you'd be risking it way more if you went with key sites anyways and I don't think EA's ever cracked down on anyone buying from their cheaper regional storefronts directly.

If you bought the game for full base price, I'd say get a refund and rebuy it and the season pass with the Mexican VPN. It's like you're paying $15 USD for the Season Pass on top of the normal retail price of the base game, rather than the full $50.

Dunno how quickly Origin lets you rebuy a game you refunded tho, so I dunno if that totally checks out. Also I still get to personally make "full game is actually $110" jokes because Canadian funbux and taxes on those funbux sux
without the mexican vpn the base game is $80, the season pass is $70 and the ultimate edition is $170 :negative:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Just eked out an imperial win on WA Sullust, was so drat intense my hands were shaking. I got an AT AT powerup in the last two phases and was able to lock down the rebels, my first game with over 60 kills.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 25, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Moartoast posted:

Dunno how quickly Origin lets you rebuy a game you refunded tho

because I'm a huge loving moron I refunded this game but then literally the next day I decided I missed it already so I rebought it. It let me do it no problem, and I even kept all of my levels and unlocks. I guess spending eighty bucks had less sting to it because that day I also felt really good about fuckin' nailing a job interview that's gonna get me a lot more funbux.

I'm so bad at videogames, I barely get a 1:1 K/D most rounds, sometimes less. I know a lot of it isn't about K/D but I still think it's a good indicator of how good you are at it in general.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Daily Forecast posted:

because I'm a huge loving moron I refunded this game but then literally the next day I decided I missed it already so I rebought it. It let me do it no problem, and I even kept all of my levels and unlocks. I guess spending eighty bucks had less sting to it because that day I also felt really good about fuckin' nailing a job interview that's gonna get me a lot more funbux.

I'm so bad at videogames, I barely get a 1:1 K/D most rounds, sometimes less. I know a lot of it isn't about K/D but I still think it's a good indicator of how good you are at it in general.
I've never heard an actually good player say KDR wasnt a good indicator of how good you are. If you are good at the core mechanic of shooting your enemy in the face before he shoots you then you'll be more or less good at anything else the game requires.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I really hope for a clone wars expansion down the track, I just want to be a Droideka or Grievous and spend friendly bonding time with the jedi :unsmigghh:.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Im upset at the lack of storm trooper customization. I reallly reallly reallllly want to be more than just scout trooper or dark trooper at the end. Wheres crimson guard? Wheres all the other fancy poo poo like swamp trooper? Give us some recolors man!

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Is there a way to report someone for cheating?

Also I found a fun spot to shoot down air from. You can jetpack ontop of the AT-ATs pretty handy.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 25, 2015

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

I actually really like cargo for some reason.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I keep reading recommendations for the DLT-19, but I can't kill poo poo with it. So far I do the best with the A280C. What's everyone's goto?

Level 18 and have moved from the E-11 to the burst pistol (SE-'something'). Loving it.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Game sucks chode and I can still play the older battlefronts online, no loving way I'd buy this.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just held down the third stage indoor uplink station on Sullust by myself as Fett. Flamethrower owns indoors, even took down a damaged Luke with my rocket when he was seeking shelter. I didn't run or shoot anything until they came inside, so I didn't shot up on radar much.
loving teammates wouldn't come in to secure it with me though, I eventually died but the rebels didn't get any Y wings added to the attack run from that uplink.

Just before that I was rebels on Endor and man, the anti-vehicle turret owns, had it perched on a cliff directly beside the AT-AT when it was vulnerable, it stayed for so long and did heaps of damage. Imperials just weren't shooting at it.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

moosecow333 posted:

Real men run a load out with both Thermal Dets. and Impact Grenades :getin:

Not empty quotin'

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

drunkill posted:

Just held down the third stage indoor uplink station on Sullust by myself as Fett. Flamethrower owns indoors, even took down a damaged Luke with my rocket when he was seeking shelter. I didn't run or shoot anything until they came inside, so I didn't shot up on radar much.
Heroes always show up on radar no matter what, just that people don't realise it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ah. Welp.

Anyway, new post from EA http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/start-of-your-star-wars-adventure

And from eurogamer about the new gamemode Turning Point on one of the two Jakku Maps (presumably the large walker assault/conquest map)
Edit: Jakku teaser as a reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19mtbHG7WdY
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-24-star-wars-battlefronts-battle-of-jakku-dlc-introduces-turning-point-mode

quote:

Star Wars: Battlefront's upcoming free Battle of Jakku DLC will bring a new 40-player Turning Point experience to the sci-fi shooter.

Jakku is the desert planet to be featured in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, although Battlefront's level is set straight after Return of the Jedi's final battle.

The Empire is being pushed back, in other words, but still has plenty of fight left in it.

It's against this backdrop that Turning Point will take place, on the sandy Graveyard of Giants map dotted by downed starfighters.

Rebels must take one of three control points, which will then open up further points located deeper within Empire territory. This continues until you unlock the ability to perform a final assault on the Empire base.

Empire players must split up and defend the control points, whose capture percentage does not reset if Rebels are forced back.

"At the edge of the map, the Empire has constructed a make-shift base as well as smaller fortifications strewn across the landscape," DICE's lead level designer Dennis Brännvall has explained.

"Rebels need to locate and capture one of three control points in Imperial control. The clock is ticking, but if the Rebel team succeeds with a capture additional time will be added and new control points will be available for capture.

"Moving through these increasingly challenging checkpoints, the ultimate goal is the Empire's base where the final stand will take place."

Airspeeders and AT-STs will feature in the mode, while a Super Star Destroyer (not pilotable) will crash in the map's background.

EA is set to show off the first full gameplay from the DLC next Monday, 30th November at 7pm UK time, the day before the add-on is released to pre-order customers on 1st December (then on 8th December for everyone else).

So Basically MCOM/Rush mode from Battlefield, except with branching pathways for the capture points. I also read somewhere the other day that Dice added a bunch of rocks to Jakku as cover but Lucasfilm said they wanted it to copy the look of the location in the film, as a sandy desert so they replaced a bunch of the rocks as crashed debris from the space battle.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 25, 2015

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
So the new map wont have walker battles? Also how are heroes being handled?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
One of them will, the large map. There will be two new Jakku maps, these are the descriptions:
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/features/battle-of-jakku

quote:

Graveyard of Giants
Fight on the Graveyard of Giants in Turning Point, Supremacy, Walker Assault, and Fighter Squadron

Goazan Badlands
Experience the badlands of Goazan in Blast, Drop Zone, Droid Run, Cargo, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs. Villains.
Presumably the smaller one takes place near one of the downed (Super)Star Destroyers. Edit: Or maybe that village seen in TFA trailer.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 25, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
It's probably for the best it looks less like Jundland :v:

Also nice threat title wink

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

drunkill posted:

One of them will, the large map. There will be two new Jakku maps, these are the descriptions:
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/features/battle-of-jakku

Presumably the smaller one takes place near one of the downed (Super)Star Destroyers. Edit: Or maybe that village seen in TFA trailer.

Graveyard of Giants sounds wayyyy more likely to be the one with the crashed SSD/SD.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you can keep a 1:1 while playing for objectives in the big maps you should be just fine. Having that go up will be mainly in learning good timings, flankings, etc. For example, spawns are in waves, so seeing people start to spawn in the y-wing phase is a great spot for an orbital. The spots people like to watch from, for example phase 2 sullust there will always be like 3 rebels by that one turbolaser, because it is out of line of sight from the walkers and there is an e-web turret by it. Stuff like that, maybe a good timing on an at-at or hero pickup can bump you up to 30-40 kills pretty easily, and even with 20+ deaths (because you're pushing objectives super hard and not camping one) you still have a decent ratio and probably top 3-5 on the scoreboard. Make some new hands to bring to different maps, jetpack is good almost all the time, but you could have an "indoor death hand" that you swap to when you're just inside that's like explosive shot+thermal det+barrage/impact. If they other team has some annoying people using homing missiles, maybe make a hand with smoke grenade for hoth so you can smoke+capture. Also remember that you can switch your main gun every spawn, so as the map changes you can switch that up too.

I've been slowly settling on barrage as my standard other card. Bowcaster is decent but the charge time is a bit wonky for how I play, maybe I just need more time with it. Impact grenades are essentially 1 target which I don't feel is worth it, thermals seem like a decent other option that I should go play more with. Barrage spreads enough that often I can get 2, and I only fail to get my main guy when I'm doing a long shot sometimes. Pulse+bounty is great for maps where you can put good pressure on control points from a distance like hoth and sullust, but endor I never use it and tatooine only for the first phase.

Bounty feels like the best trait overall to me now. The added utility/damage you can pull out is pretty great, and often feels more useful. I guess the rest of the traits are more defensive, and in general so much of doing well seems to be having a good offense instead. I can get up to trait level 3 on bounty a lot more consistently than on the others, probably because pulling a grenade or smart rocket is a straight +1 or +2 kills usually, and even the other options are good for a kill or distracting the enemies while you blast them. Scout is good on endor for rebels, lets you truck around and still surprise people, but rebels hardly need the help on that map. The other options (minus sharpshooter) aren't bad or anything, just they don't really help you survive a fight till higher ranks, while if bounty kicks in at the lower ranks it can be pretty huge, and at rank 3 the power-up+cooldown refresh is huge. I've yet to get bodyguard to 3 I think, how much does that reduce blaster damage by?

I've found that the multi-shot guns with explosive shot are really awesome. Probably the safest way to breach a door or other close quarters setup is to engage that and pre-fire as you round the corner. Impacts don't cover enough area to kill more than 1, and the other grenades take long enough that they're grenading back and/or falling back. Also the best way to kill heroes that I've found by far, just really mows them down.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
If we see The emperor or Darth on the map its gonna get weirrrrrrd.

Also what guns do the shock troopers and royal guard use?

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 25, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Shock troopers have a t21, and the royal guard have like a beefy version of the rebel gun. Or at least I'm pretty sure it does more damage than the normal one? Also they both get a rocket that is twice as strong as a smart rocket, and a homing missile. Both those two are cooldown based. Basically they're great.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Basically I want whatever gun the rebel guard has. ITs good.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Boba Fett on endor supremacy is just the most hilarious, evil thing regardless of showing on the map.

Also they had a news update earlier saying well be getting more free maps and bits and bobs on top of the DLC packs so that's something.

Also for those on the fence it's really good, the shooting is grade A fun as gently caress, and once you actually learn the gear infantry play is really pretty well balanced.

The main issues to me are the obvious ones. It's pretty light on content and there are some standout balance issues on maps, usually relating to map boundaries not shifting between phases and letting an imperial into a turret behind your lines early. Imperial fighters are flat out worse than rebel ones which is fine in modes where they have the atst ground advantage and a bit of a fuckin pain in squadron. I don't know how you work around that.

Basically the big spectacle modes are really fun but sometimes a bit unfair. The small death match modes are really loving fun and tightly crafted except hero hunt which can gently caress right off.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zodack posted:

It's a nice touch for the Rebels but I don't understand why anyone would want to play a helmet-less Stormtrooper

There is only one reason why Stormtroopers can do it: Marketing

Saying you have 150 customizations sounds awesome. Until you realize it means 70 heads you can put on both rebels and Imperials, 4 unique rebel alien heads, 2 unique imperials and 4 female bodies for the imperials*. :effort:

* I didn't count but I think that's about it.

EDIT: I also just realized that you can create several "hands" but must chose 2 as your primary and secondary per map. So you can actually make an anti vehicle loadout, endor loadout, hoth loadout etc.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 25, 2015

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Bought the game got a refund

Got the game given as a gift today for a place I can't get a refund :(

Soooooo

The fighter games are soooooo imbalanced. I played about 25 matches today and every single time rebels win. Shields>Speed Boost. Also A-Wing rules

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Microwaves Mom posted:

If we see The emperor or Darth on the map its gonna get weirrrrrrd.

Also what guns do the shock troopers and royal guard use?

Hell if Fett shows up it's only because he crawled out of a giant sand vagina. :zombie:

So where are the other empire heroes?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Rebels are definitely better but I see imperials win fairly often (when I'm playing as them basically :D ). The dumb fact that teams don't get shuffled means that if a team gets an unassailable selection of better players is going to stay that way.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Hopper posted:

There is only one reason why Stormtroopers can do it: Marketing

Saying you have 150 customizations sounds awesome. Until you realize it means 70 heads you can put on both rebels and Imperials, 4 unique rebel alien heads, 2 unique imperials and 4 female bodies for the imperials*. :effort:
In an anecdote about this, I played in a game with someone who had the Shadow Trooper skin (rank 50) and we were crushing the rebels so badly they had 1 Y-wing in Tattoine phases 1 and 2, someone actually asked that that player leave the game. We had 4 other players including myself that were higher in k/d/score and also being a menace to the team rather than just going for kills too, but the fact that that person had the shadow trooper armour was definitive proof that he was the most overpowered piece in our team and it'd all be ok if he left.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

SpaceBanditos posted:

Hell if Fett shows up it's only because he crawled out of a giant sand vagina. :zombie:

So where are the other empire heroes?

maybe it'll be fetts new best friend he made in the sarlac pit.

I wonder what they'll do.

E:
They said gently caress the EU right? SO that means no emperor clones?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is a videogame, they don't give a poo poo if the Emperor shows up at the battle of Jakku. Why should they? He shows up on Hoth and Sullust too. It is non-canon (in that it has no storymode, the tie-in book is canon)

Although in the inevitable TFA DLC pack we'll no doubt get Captain Phasma in her Stealth? suit of armour and Kylo Ren and his kickass crossguarded lightsaber for the Empire/First Order and probably Chewie and Finn or Rey for the Rebellion/Resistance.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

drat the canon, pull from KOTOR. I want to play as HK-47

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
They may not care but what about Disney?

e:

Why the gently caress would anyone ever get the DLT-19? It costs 550 and its got worse stats than the RT-97C in every way. There is literally no benefit to it over the RT-97C

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 25, 2015

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Hey, is anyone still playing the Base Command game in the companion app? I'm on the final mission (#50), but I cannot build a good enough deck to get most of the units down at any decent rate. Funnily enough, I have no problem with the Emperor, Boba and Vader - it's just that the vehicles are so powerful AND have first strike, so what am I meant to do??

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What does it mean when there are just no enemy (in this case rebel) aircraft in the air for almost an entirely supremacy battle? Are they just not picking up the power ups or what?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

What does it mean when there are just no enemy (in this case rebel) aircraft in the air for almost an entirely supremacy battle? Are they just not picking up the power ups or what?

Possibly, I've seen air tokens just get completely ignored for a surprising amount of time. Or its just a matter of having a couple skylords on your team that just wrecked anyone spawning in

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I will never understand why people get the hero token in Hoth WA and use it to become Boba Fett: Sniper Extraordinaire. Dumb bastard was on the hill next to the phase 1 imperial spawn (during phase 2) and just plinking away as his team got owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

I will never understand why people get the hero token in Hoth WA and use it to become Boba Fett: Sniper Extraordinaire. Dumb bastard was on the hill next to the phase 1 imperial spawn (during phase 2) and just plinking away as his team got owned.

Because they don't really care and just want to get the kills.

Personally I find myself judging people that pull Luke or Han on supremacy maps. Come on guys, Leia is so dammed good on those points, even if she is boring.

• Locked thread