Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It seems like the biggest skill that most people need to learn when playing Battlefront is how to slowly but consistently push into a point.

The thing about this game is that it doesn't matter how MLG PRO you are, you simply cannot put out the dps needed to take on several people at one time in an open firefight. So you have to be cautious but firm in your advance, and make sure you work on just a couple people at a time, max.

You have to be aggressive, but cautiously so.

I've noticed this as well. It's all about slowly and progressively securing space first, followed by laying down oppressive covering fire at long distance targets to slow their advance. Rushing more often then not just leads to death by grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Seems like now that people know how to play the game it's extremely hard to win as the Imperials in Walker Assault unless you have a much better team. It's just too easy to damage them, and too easy to spawn zerg them.

If you wipe out a big rebel group that is attacking a Walker you should get rewarded for it, not have to watch 20 of them instantly respawn with ion shot and gently caress the walker up.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Evil_Greven posted:

If you're wanting this on the computer, and have some old Vista bucket like I do, just a heads-up since it doesn't loving say this anywhere on Origin:

The game requires Windows 7+ (and GameSpot somehow still exists).

I'm not sure what Win7 specific thing it has, but it won't even try to install for me. At least they were quick on the refund (until I get a new computer anyway, :smithicide:).

Holy poo poo how are you still on vista? 7 makes vista look like 8

E:
Also people always have cool gifs, is there a way to go back to a game i previously played to get a gif?

Cause I shot an xwing out of the sky with my pistol and that was pretty cool.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Ginette Reno posted:

If you wipe out a big rebel group that is attacking a Walker you should get rewarded for it, not have to watch 20 of them instantly respawn with ion shot and gently caress the walker up.
Well, you do get extra points for every kill during the walker vulnerability phase. With Palpatine one time I came up around the back of the rebels as they all stand behind the snowbank to shoot at the first at-at in Hoth and managed to rack up 7000 points from casting chain lightning once and then frying everyone with the combination of at-at defence points and killstreak points, it just kept scrolling for ages.

It definitely is a bit harder on the imps now that the rebels know how to play, but just the same you should know how to keep them down too. They always bunch up in one of two spots for every walker vulnerability and rushing into those or storming them with a hero can completely devastate their damage, they've worked out how to smash them with turbo lasers on Sullust so make sure your ties are taking them down as soon as they become active, etc. Imps can still win every map handily with the right pressure, except for endor which is still a crap shoot.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Metos posted:

except for endor which is still a crap shoot.

Endor isnt a crap shoot endor is terminal cancer with a 99% chance to lose.

Or a million to one odds to navigate an asteroid field.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Note: I have come to know that Heroes vs Villains is the best mode in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGlbXiTmamE

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
This game is pretty rad sometimes. I picked up an early AT-ST on a Supremacy map today and because none of the pubbies ran Ion Torpedos, I managed to go on a 34 player killstreak with it before some jerk A-Wing came in and ruined the fun.

Felt like a nazi at the landing of Normandy, and it felt great

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Seems like now that people know how to play the game it's extremely hard to win as the Imperials in Walker Assault unless you have a much better team. It's just too easy to damage them, and too easy to spawn zerg them.

This is why I've switched to supremacy. I do love walker assault, but it really is too easy to defeat the walker.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'm still winning a good amount on imperials, but a lot more of it seems to boil down to who is getting the various vehicle and hero power-ups. For example a palpatine pickup right before the y-wings often works really well, since he is pretty quick to move around and can really mow people down. If you have people grabbing at-st and ties right as the phase is starting they can really wreck distracted rebels, or at the very least eat up a bunch of y-wing time as they are dealt with. A lot also has to deal with how aggressive your guys are interrupting lock-ons, most of the maps you should be able to keep y-wing time reasonably low if people are playing to the objective. If they have 5-6 y-wings it is pretty realistic to have the at-st/hero eat a good chunk of that time for most of their team, and if other people are making sure the radar dishes don't get to shoot much then you've got a really high chance of winning.

The other thing is imperials should keep a hand with ion torpedo's on it to spam at a-wings/x-wings (make it your first hand so your terrible partner can spawn with a torpedo if you can convince him). If your ties have the air, it makes it a lot harder to deal with a careful at-st pilot. Also as the phases go on it gets harder for rebels to get more ships back into the air, and if you've got a couple ties mowing them down you remove a lot of potential damage off the at-ats. If you've got the air won, they're really good at checking those back radar dishes and killing people on them.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I actually kinda like this lack of server. With BF4 I'm always spending half my time in the browser deciding which terrible set of custom rules I'm going to go by and scrabbling around for that elusive server that's not half empty and isn't full by the time I join. No queuing for the server I like, just plop into a game and go.

It also means I'm bouncing happily between modes and playing a bit of everything, which is nice and hassle free.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8YoXJME54E

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Played with gooch (from #pcgaming) this evening and for a few maps of supremacy we did quite well. On Endor I was leading our team thanks to an early cap and a few pushes to cap the rebels zones and near the end of the map I went to get the ATST token, a pubbie was about to grab it but backed off and let me take it, which was nice. I then proceeded to own the rebels, getting about 20 kills, almost capping their far zone (in that area with the tents) by myself but unfortunatly we got pushed back. I then assaulted the middle cap from the rebel side, so I was able to shoot them all in the back as they went to join the battle. Grenade launcher on the ATST owns bones.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Cardboard Box A posted:

Note: I have come to know that Heroes vs Villains is the best mode in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGlbXiTmamE

Is that you? Cause they sound like an irritable whiny loving autistic retard.

E:

Wooo now that i have this barrier shield and the explosive grenade launcher im placing like 1st or 2nd almost all the maps its amazing fun.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 26, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Microwaves Mom posted:

Is that you? Cause they sound like an irritable whiny loving autistic retard.
It's a Star Wars fan

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's a Star Wars fan

Oh so yeah whiny autistic retard.

Anyways Im really digging the bounty hunter perk. It says at rank 2 you are supposed to get 100% item card drops but you don't I've had it not give me cards for kills several times.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Microwaves Mom posted:

Oh so yeah whiny autistic retard.

Anyways Im really digging the bounty hunter perk. It says at rank 2 you are supposed to get 100% item card drops but you don't I've had it not give me cards for kills several times.
Yeah same on walker assault. I know in other game modes it says '50% chance' at rank 2, wonder if they hosed up either the programming or the strings for walker assault.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Metos posted:

Yeah same on walker assault. I know in other game modes it says '50% chance' at rank 2, wonder if they hosed up either the programming or the strings for walker assault.

well i havent found much else wrong with the programming besides cheaters and a lack of team balance so I'd say thats not bad for a fuckup.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
My fav mode is Fighter Squadron since all your weapons and cards don't matter there. Everyone has the same loudout and that kinda makes it more fun. Just feels lovely to play a normal ground mode and getting constantly exploded by barrage/explosive shot/sniper rifles. Guess the tide will turn once I unlock those cards myself... but they prolly nerfed that stuff by then.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

today i am thankful for the bodyguard trait because nades are loving stupid

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

also i am thankful for my goldfish

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The lack of Australian servers really sucks rear end, also the game just can't handle internet connections like the one I have, and I live in a major Australian city.

Will probably return this tomorrow, it sucks having a multiplayer game where I can't actually play multiplayer.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Recoome posted:

The lack of Australian servers really sucks rear end, also the game just can't handle internet connections like the one I have, and I live in a major Australian city.

Will probably return this tomorrow, it sucks having a multiplayer game where I can't actually play multiplayer.
I'm an hour away from a major Australian city and have no lag problems whatsoever, on PC. There's definitely Australian servers there, maybe try PC once you return the Xbox one, otherwise its definitely your connection.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

alarumklok posted:

Yeah I'm considering dumping my Scout trait for Bodyguard as well, as grenades are just that bad right now. They plague every game and make taking uplinks impossible. My main concern is that the effect is minimal and that I'm still going to die to the 8~10 grenades that come flying down the hallway anyways.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

alarumklok posted:

Yeah, impact nades in particular get really drat annoying after a while.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Chiming in to agree that Walker Assault is mad imbalanced. I think the rebels are favored on all maps. The imp team has to be observably better to have much of a chance. On Endor they have to play so good just to eek out a 5% health victory that it would be an embarrassing stomp in any other game.

Balanced is hosed. Now that the new game shine has faded just a bit I'm probably going to play a lot less Walker Assault until they do some balancing.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Recoome posted:

I don't think it's a lack of servers in your area. By the looks of it searching online there might be some bug with connections. I get frequent bad connection warnings in every mode but fighter squadron (and no other game) and I'm in North America. Hopefully they fix it soon, I'm tired of going 1-15 instead of my expected 1-10.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
There's a lot of Stupid Things that happen with Ion Torpedos. It always seems anything in the air can out-run them so long as they don't remain in a straight line. It only helps out when a dog fight is going on as the guy is probably too busy dealing with his opponent to react to a ground-to-air lock on.

Not only that but it's such a random thing if people even use any vehicles in any of the game modes. Compare that to the green sniper rifle thing where you will always know for sure that there are people to shoot, and that you will always have some opportunity to be at range and give it a safe shot no matter the 40 man game mode, it makes it difficult to justify that torpedo. It is a nice thing to have when you can blast something and it does give some points just to hurt a thing, but I have found it's so random just how any particular shot will play out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
As a pilot you have no loving idea how annoying Ion Torpedos are.

You can't barrel roll to dodge them because you have no proximity indicator, which means that you have to use your U-turn. Even if you use your U-turn, if you do it too early or too late because you have no proximity indicator you still get hit. Even if you time it right, the Torpedo doesn't break lock. Instead it will curve to try and hit you and then literally circle around your ship for ages whilst you get the game going crazy about a missile being locked on you. The best part is if you accelerate away, the torpedo can right itself and slam into the back of your ship.

Sniper rifles kill a guy who respawns, an Ion torpedo means that for the next 15 seconds an A-Wing is literally doing nothing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So... We lost 17,000 points last night on a Heroes vs Villains game griefing this poo poo-tastic clan called DarkSith because EA's servers shat the bed. On top of that, the game apparently didn't save my screenshot of Leia sucking on Luke's lightsaber hilt.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My last two matches have had someone completely invincible on the other team, so people are figuring out how to do the glitch reliably at this point. I think I'll take a break until they patch that out, since it completely ruins supremacy.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I don't think I've actually run into the invincibility glitch yet myself, weirdly.

On the topic of ion torpedoes, as someone who pilots and can dodge a decent amount they're super, super loving annoying. You don't have any good idea of how far away that poo poo is, and you're spending a decent chunk of time doing nothing but frantically trying to dodge. gently caress it up and that is about half your health gone. If like 3 people on the ground just look up for half a second every cooldown and fire one off, you're really working hard to stay alive, and if someone grabs a fighter token during any of that they're probably going to be able to close and mow you down. If people don't shoot at all, you and a buddy curb stomp everyone who tries to spawn in and then do strafing runs killing a couple people per and basically win the phase (since you'll really impact the effectiveness of at-st from either side).

Maybe you don't run with ion torpedo out by default, but keep that poo poo on your other hand, and if they're doing better in the air switch to it and just fire off shots every time you can. If you're rebels it is good for the at-st as well! If you're an imperial in the at-st, the #3 missile is a smart rocket so spam that poo poo at ships every time you can.

In regards to the balance on walker assault, if the teams are even the imperials have no chance on endor and a fair shake on the rest of the maps. If half your team is running pulse rifle because "there is always someone to kill with it" and hanging back and letting the rebels stack up the y-wings, your day is going to suck. Being super aggressive is a way better plan even if you die more, because the entire goal is to keep their y-wing amount below like 6. Good at-at, hero, and at-st usage will break solid rebel holds on outside points, while a vader or palp can break most inside points.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Lothire posted:

There's a lot of Stupid Things that happen with Ion Torpedos. It always seems anything in the air can out-run them so long as they don't remain in a straight line. It only helps out when a dog fight is going on as the guy is probably too busy dealing with his opponent to react to a ground-to-air lock on.

Not only that but it's such a random thing if people even use any vehicles in any of the game modes. Compare that to the green sniper rifle thing where you will always know for sure that there are people to shoot, and that you will always have some opportunity to be at range and give it a safe shot no matter the 40 man game mode, it makes it difficult to justify that torpedo. It is a nice thing to have when you can blast something and it does give some points just to hurt a thing, but I have found it's so random just how any particular shot will play out.

Then someone gets 30 kills in an AT-ST because everyone is trying to snipe with 15 second cooldowns.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Honestly, I have a hard time justifying bringing the charge sniper rifle into a battle. It is certainly good for getting kills, but the issue remains that you should be fighting around the objective, and if someone is far enough way that you need a real scoped weapon then he isn't much of a threat to the team.

Of course it has some utility, counter sniping and door watching is good, but the fact that you can't really hold the charge makes it something of a poor point defense weapon.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
The progression system in this game is loving bad. Multiple matches in a row I've had where a dude rolling all black cards — usually barrage, jump pack, explosive shot and presumably bounty hunter — just dominates the round going 40-5 or some poo poo. It's incredible how much more powerful you are at higher rank vs someone just starting out.

Summit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 26, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

You can't have all 3 of those at the same time. Also, when doing that well you're getting a ton of blaster kills if they didn't just get a good hero or vehicle pickup, which means they're just aiming better.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Summit posted:

The progression system in this game is loving bad. Multiple matches in a row I've had where a dude rolling all black cards — usually barrage, jump pack, impact grenade and presumably bounty hunter — just dominates the round going 40-5 or some poo poo. It's incredible how much more powerful you are at higher rank vs someone just starting out.

If you have all those things unlocked then it isn't surprising that you would have higher score because you already Got Gud during the 15 hours or so to get to max level

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you have all those things unlocked then it isn't surprising that you would have higher score because you already Got Gud during the 15 hours or so to get to max level

I think I've played at least 10 hours and I'm level 18. Guess I'm pretty bad if I should be level 50 in 5 more hours.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Summit posted:

I think I've played at least 10 hours and I'm level 18. Guess I'm pretty bad if I should be level 50 in 5 more hours.

Obviously that was just a number, not an exact measurement. The point is that having all the stuff unlocked implies that you have played for a long time.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

One very strategically placed turret and probe droid, and a hell of a run in the at-at. The rebels locked in 4 total y-wings, I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Obviously that was just a number, not an exact measurement. The point is that having all the stuff unlocked implies that you have played for a long time.

Obviously there's that and I'm not attempting to imply they are 'bad' and only doing well because of the unlocks. Anyone who gets all the good ones has spent their fair share of time playing and probably knows the maps pretty well and can aim decently. That said, the amount of killing power you unlock throughout time feels pretty excessive. I've never been a big fan of progression systems in general, preferring that all options be available and the let people decide how they want to play, but Battlefront feels particularly bad in this respect. I would hate to buy this game in 3 months when everyone is rolling around with a hand full of explosive death and you've just unlocked ion shot.

• Locked thread