Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well the point I'm trying to make is that the biggest unlock is jetpack to move around quicker. Most of the actual kills aren't from card abilities, they're from stuff available to everyone from the start, just having played longer we know the map, power-up locations, etc better. The first things you get are a solid grenade, an alternate close range kill weapon, and the anti-vehicle weapon. Scout pistol out performs the dl-44 at close range, the thermal detonator is very good, and the ion torpedo should literally never leave your available options in the big map modes.

The unlocks aren't what are destroying the other team, it is the one guy doing good and the other team not knowing how to play against whatever he is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

ZypherIM posted:

The unlocks aren't what are destroying the other team, it is the one guy doing good and the other team not knowing how to play against whatever he is doing.

Cool, guess you're fine with the balance then. I'm not. I find it frustrating to get rocked by poo poo I don't even have access to.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Eh the one game where I didn't lag out, I did really well with the E-11, which is probably my favorite followed by the DH-17.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

wow heroes vs villains is super fun. surprised boba fett as he came around a corner when i was han solo and shot him to death, point-blank. felt like a true han maneuver. also holy poo poo leia is so good if your team is comprised of sentient beings. still can't do much with luke though, unless i get lucky and sneak up on someone point-blank.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Recoome posted:

Eh the one game where I didn't lag out, I did really well with the E-11, which is probably my favorite followed by the DH-17.

Personally I find the E-11's RoF just a tad too slow, but on short-ish distances you really can put dudes into the ground in a hurry when you land those first three shots. The A280C of the rebels is also an all-around really good gun, possibly the most balanced one of them all. Honestly the only gun I'd say is a bit frustrating to go up against is Han's blaster, since getting killed by it is so sudden and most people only get access to it fairly late.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

What, exactly, is the poo poo you don't have access to that is rocking you? About the only thing possible is barrage, which is good but not crazily better than thermal dets. Is it guns? A lot of the early unlocks there are really good as well.

There are balance issues aplenty that I'd love to see fixed, but the fact is that by level 15 you've got access to setups just as good as poo poo you get later.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

The Royal Scrub posted:

Then someone gets 30 kills in an AT-ST because everyone is trying to snipe with 15 second cooldowns.

That's when you jump into the Turbolaser.

Always jump into the Turbolaser.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Summit posted:

Cool, guess you're fine with the balance then. I'm not. I find it frustrating to get rocked by poo poo I don't even have access to.

Relying on cards to carry the day is a terrible idea. Your primary weapon is powerful and reliable, all the cards are gimmicks. The only ones that are actually game-changing is the jet pack and ion torpedo, and that doesnt take that long to unlock.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
For anyway who was thinking about buying this game (at least for the console) and lives in Australia, I'd give this game a big ol' do not buy. The way the game handles matchmaking and connection is pretty terrible so don't waste your money and sanity trying to deal with it. Pretty disappointed by it, it'd the only video game I've bought all year and it's just super lovely that no matter how fun the game ~could~ be, it can't be that fun because you can't get a game with a decent connection.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Join up in my PSN party if y'all want to play some Thanksgiving Battlefield. I have not found an easy way to communicate this in game. I'm NotAntagonist.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
OK so I've played FPS online since quake 1. While I've been doing great in fighter squadron, every other mode I lose firefights left and right, and honestly that never happened in other FPS games. But I figured this fucker out. It isn't really an FPS. Not by design anyway. I tried out 3rd person in run and shoot mode and now I'm winning. So, if you're getting owned like I was, its because your targets are playing 3rd person and you aren't. And I can avoid obstacles, dodge enemies, see around me, etc etc. So that's my story. For Battlefront, 3rd person in all things. And I no longer suck (at the game, I suck generally though).

PEW PEW PEW

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Summit posted:

Unlocks are stupid. I'll agree with that. The balance issues you see are more down to not having used the stuff first hand to see it's weaknesses. Eg homing shot is really bad never take it. Barrage is situational in a way normal grandads aren't.

I'm level 32 and I generally finish near or at the top. I run with a set of grenades or a grenade and jetpack, bodyguard and explosive shot or focus fire which I never bother to charge and I always use the e11 which is a starter gun.

Most of the early Unlocks are really good and remain viable. It's just a case of seeing that sweet high level grass and how green it is and assuming it's incredible.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I assume this is a bug but I bought two refills of my personal shield and it set my uses to 99 and every new map it recharges them back to 99.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea that is how you'll see some guys constantly using scan and stuff. If you want to be a cheap fucker on endor you know what to do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hhhat posted:

OK so I've played FPS online since quake 1. While I've been doing great in fighter squadron, every other mode I lose firefights left and right, and honestly that never happened in other FPS games. But I figured this fucker out. It isn't really an FPS. Not by design anyway. I tried out 3rd person in run and shoot mode and now I'm winning. So, if you're getting owned like I was, its because your targets are playing 3rd person and you aren't. And I can avoid obstacles, dodge enemies, see around me, etc etc. So that's my story. For Battlefront, 3rd person in all things. And I no longer suck (at the game, I suck generally though).

PEW PEW PEW

First person works just as well as long as you play the game right and not like a COD cover shooter. Ironically you have to play it like Quake 1 which you say you've been playing since but maybe you've forgotten.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe there is not even rudimentary balancing. They just were too lazy to even add a "if team numbers are uneven player x switches team upon death" mecahnic. WTF?
We just had half a server exit on Endor and 1 minute after start and it was 5 imperials vs 12 rebels ...naturally AT AT didn't survive phase 1.

This game is fun, and it is very well programmed from a fidelity/stability standpoint, but it just seems they saved the man hours i.e. money spent on making it look great on the side of quality of life aspects such as balancing, server rowser, team balancing etc

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Someone hit earlier on why they didn't really mind not having a server browser, and I find myself agreeing with them (basically server browser is kind of a hassle and then you have to wade through servers with poo poo options). A way to check ping before you commit (max ping setting please) would be nice, but that is about all I personally miss. Just like playing a round of cs:go, I just hit maps/gametype and wait for it to make a match.

Numerical team balancing would be nice, and a scramble if round ended too out of wack (imperials don't get to phase 3, or at-ats don't get below 75%, something like that).

Trying to do a more in-depth balance that is worth anything would be really, really hard. You've got how well people play on each map, how well they play with certain gun/card setups versus what the opponent does, how everyone else is playing the map, the number of players, and more. Think about games like dota or cs:go and how much work they put into match-making, and how it is often still way off.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Summit posted:

The progression system in this game is loving bad. Multiple matches in a row I've had where a dude rolling all black cards — usually barrage, jump pack, explosive shot and presumably bounty hunter — just dominates the round going 40-5 or some poo poo. It's incredible how much more powerful you are at higher rank vs someone just starting out.

I have all black cards I've been playing for 3 days. Excessively yes, but it takes about a week to get all the good poo poo.

also

E:
http://imgur.com/gallery/ib8nW

Someones working on a graphic pack.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 27, 2015

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Still haven't won a match as Imps on Endor in WA.

Battlefrownt. :(

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly the annoying thing about ion torpedoes for pilots is that a lot of the time you can actually dodge them with sharp tens depending on what angle it's coming at you from but it's almost completely arbitrary when this does and does not work

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Remote User posted:

Still haven't won a match as Imps on Endor in WA.

Battlefrownt. :(
Its very dependent on taking and holding uplinks, which is very dependent on your hero being a team player and holding one - unfortunately all that happens is Boba jetpacks up somewhere high up and snipes everyone, ending with 50 kills but lost the game as the players on the other team who aren't poo poo just went to the uplinks where they're safe or had their own heroes take it back.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Honestly the annoying thing about ion torpedoes for pilots is that a lot of the time you can actually dodge them with sharp tens depending on what angle it's coming at you from but it's almost completely arbitrary when this does and does not work
When I get 'missile incoming' and I can't see it on the map I just immediately do the 'up' maneuver, once that's finished I fly straight up until I've gone 90 degrees then I go straight down 180 degrees, missile goes away. Works every time whereas if I do anything different at all or any of the other maneuvers it gets me 50% of the time, but its so drat time consuming and if another fighter spawns you're pretty much toast and if another person is shooting missiles too you'll be there forever.

Which is to say, if I have air superiority and your team doesn't harass, ion torpedoes slow me down but don't mean poo poo. But if you do keep up the pressure and work as a team, they're goddamn invaluable. Seems right to me.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

First person works just as well as long as you play the game right and not like a COD cover shooter. Ironically you have to play it like Quake 1 which you say you've been playing since but maybe you've forgotten.

The physics are nothing like Quake 1 and I've never played COD so I have no idea what that would be like. All I'm saying is 3rd person is doing it for me and I have no idea why, and it's unnatural and weird but whatever I like winning

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Has anyone played around with Barrage, Personal Shield, and Bounty Hunter? I don't have shield or bounty hunter yet, but I'd imagine you could get some pretty sweet room clearing power.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Explosive shot and the 5-burst pistol is the best room clearing setup I've found. Grenades are good if you've got an angle, but unless its the special pickup they're not going to really clear a room.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Uh, so using the 99-infinite charges glitch w/ scan pulse, jetpack, barrage and DL-44 (Bounty Hunter trait), I just went 60-14 on Hoth as Rebels. No heroes, no vehicles. So that should hopefully get patched soon...

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Scan pulse seems like the best on endor, everywhere else I'd probably just spam explosive shot or personal shield. Maybe focus with machine gun for long range "sniping"?

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

ZypherIM posted:

Explosive shot and the 5-burst pistol is the best room clearing setup I've found. Grenades are good if you've got an angle, but unless its the special pickup they're not going to really clear a room.

What's the name of the 5-burst pistol? Right now I'm using the SE-14C with explosive shot. It has taken the place of the E-11 as my favorite gun. It's weak for long range, but that's what the jump pack is for. :ninja:

e: One another note, I'd really like the ability to see what my challenges are from the multiplayer game mode selection menu. I always forget what they are and have to back out, select 'stats', then click the left box/window. Would be nice if they'd put them off to the right or along the top where there looks to be plenty of real estate for them.

Rob Haldorson fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 27, 2015

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Rob Haldorson posted:

What's the name of the 5-burst pistol? Right now I'm using the SE-14C with explosive shot. It has taken the place of the E-11 as my favorite gun. It's weak for long range, but that's what the jump pack is for. :ninja:

SE-14C is the five burst pistol. I got it today and now I'm in the top half of the board more times than not. It owns.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ZypherIM posted:

Numerical team balancing would be nice, and a scramble if round ended too out of wack (imperials don't get to phase 3, or at-ats don't get below 75%, something like that).

Matchmaking ok, but don't call it skill based if it is literally just "shove player on server that is almost full".
And numerical balancing is the bare minimum I expect a game to have from the start. Not having it is inexcusable when you don't give players a chance to manually switch sides. Seriously, What were they thinking would happen?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

In general I haven't had much of an issue personally. Endor is a poo poo-show any way you cut it so don't take that map seriously. I think I've seen a mass ditching on other maps only 2-3 times. If they put in a scramble function it'd probably work out ok, but then they wouldn't keep parties together and that'd suck even more. Being able to switch teams is much more likely to just lead to people hopping to the winning side or the map favored side as often as possible (see every goddamn game with team switching). Also is the comment about calling it "skill based" from somewhere else? I don't think I've seen anyone here say anything close to that.

The burst pistol/rifle are really good if you can connect with the shots, and terrible if not. If you expect more close range the pistol is better, more mid-range the rifle is. The T21 still works great for mostly ranged fighting, and if you're planning on plinking at people from any distance that should be what you use I think. I don't see much dlt (machinegun) use, but I think it interacts with cards really well.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

Metos posted:

When I get 'missile incoming' and I can't see it on the map I just immediately do the 'up' maneuver, once that's finished I fly straight up until I've gone 90 degrees then I go straight down 180 degrees, missile goes away. Works every time whereas if I do anything different at all or any of the other maneuvers it gets me 50% of the time, but its so drat time consuming and if another fighter spawns you're pretty much toast and if another person is shooting missiles too you'll be there forever.

Which is to say, if I have air superiority and your team doesn't harass, ion torpedoes slow me down but don't mean poo poo. But if you do keep up the pressure and work as a team, they're goddamn invaluable. Seems right to me.

I like to fly low and dart around objects or terrain to dodge missiles (especially on sullust those radar dishes eat missiles all day) die to usually getting shot from the ground when I'm already flying low. Ion torpedoes really only scare me when I'm in an at-st.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
how do you get enough credits to buy 99 charges of anything :regd09:

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

PopZeus posted:

Uh, so using the 99-infinite charges glitch w/ scan pulse, jetpack, barrage and DL-44 (Bounty Hunter trait), I just went 60-14 on Hoth as Rebels. No heroes, no vehicles. So that should hopefully get patched soon...

It's even worse on Endor, I wreak havoc on Endor with that exact setup every time.

Jerkface posted:

Do the Hero Missions under the single player stuff on Master and get the stars, I think it comes out to like 24k credits if you get all the stars on them.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Jerkface posted:

Its only 1700 credits for 25, you start with 25 and so only need to spend 5100, which isn't even how much upgrading a single card costs? Maybe play less of the small round games and more WA and hit those challenges.

I'm sitting on 17k in the bank at the moment two ranks away from unlocking an alien, but that's also probably because I haven't spent 5100 on cheating.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Rob Haldorson posted:

Has anyone played around with Barrage, Personal Shield, and Bounty Hunter? I don't have shield or bounty hunter yet, but I'd imagine you could get some pretty sweet room clearing power.

thats what i run plus jetpack. Its pretty fun.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Summit posted:

I think the last functional unlock is the DL-44 at rank 25. It takes less than a week of casual play to get half the star cards and another to reach rank 25 (or like three days total if you're crazy like me).

There are balance issues with the game, but the progression system is not contributing to that. I hope you don't play Call of Duty or literally any free to play game because they might give you an aneurysm.

Also, quit telling people to play in 1st person mode Zaphod you crazy bastard. 3rd person or bust :colbert:.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Jerkface posted:

play like 3 games. its 1,250 for 25 charges.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Anyone had problems with their keybindings spazzing out? They're flickering back and forth between default binds and custom binds and it makes playing pretty much impossible. I got rid of default binds a while ago so I don't know why it's acting up now.. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I only play in 1st Person now when I want to just enjoy the scenery and lose, it's definitely third person or bust. Finally have a jump pack.

• Locked thread