Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I don't know because I've been watching movies on Blu-Ray since 2006 but I remember that Fullscreen DVDs were a thing for a while. That is, studios would cut off the sides of a movie to make it fit stupid old 4:3 TVs. Does anyone watch fullscreen DVDs? Fullscreen DVDs were poo poo and you a scrub if you still watch fullscreen DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i got a big 16:9 projection TV years ago and would rant endlessly about how pan n scann mutilated the director's vision and poo poo but now that it's pretty much impossible to buy a new 4:3 TV and you're practically amish if you keep your old CRT when a modest sized hd lcd can be had for a couple hundo, they don't really do pan n scan releases anymore.

i'm going to admit i'm a lovely enough person that part of me feels cheated out of something that was so fun to be abrasively smug about

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
dunno, i only watch 1985 transformers reels on my viewmaster.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bradzilla posted:

you a scrub if you still watch fullscreen DVDs.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

You know what, that's true too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

but in serious, now the opposite is true where the same brigade of idiots who moaned about black bars above/below the picture now moan about stuff that was shot for 4x3 has black bars to the left/right of the picture, so they zoom and crop stuff to shut them up.

never watch seinfeld in HD on TBS

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

my tv was 2:4. everything was hosed. every movie was coneheads with that crazy dude akroyd.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
lmao at you fools that aren't talking about a 21:9 projector so that you can watch movies properly. Sorry about your poo poo aspect ratios.

(I have a pretty drat nice 21:9 tv also)

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 25, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The last time I used DVD ever was when redbox was a thing in Canada and even that stopped when it got so cold we decided we'd rather just pirate a movie than get bundled up to go to the closest machine.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
and yet youre supposed to watch terminator 3 fullscreen
a testament to how dumb and wrong that movie is

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I was a manager at a Blockbuster when DVD's were just starting to come out, and nobody wanted the widescreen version of anything. For about two years, part of my job every day was explaining to some bumpkin that studios were not just deliberately putting black bars on the top and bottom of the picture just to screw with them.

Mind you, back in those days, most people had like a TV that was 24" tops so even if you understood aspect ratios, you were watching a small picture. Sure enough, all this complaining about widescreen cutting out the picture disappeared once LCD televisions started coming out.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

kuddles posted:

For about two years, part of my job every day was explaining to some bumpkin that studios were not just deliberately putting black bars on the top and bottom of the picture just to screw with them.

I worked at FYE in highschool and we had so many returns because the widescreen DVD was "broken" or "bootleg"

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

bradzilla posted:

watching movies on Blu-Ray

Lol, okay grandpa

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

gary oldmans diary posted:

and yet youre supposed to watch terminator 3 fullscreen
a testament to how dumb and wrong that movie is

It was filmed in open matte then poorly converted for 4:3 format. You're still meant to see it in widescreen.

Or dont because as you said its balls.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

rear end cobra posted:

Lol, okay grandpa

I'd stream if I wasn't forced to use a Comcast internet connection literally everywhere

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
With 4K displays becoming more common I can finally play SNES games with a fully accurate CRT shader. Technology is great.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I grew up with VHS and remember when a widescreen version of anything was like a rare gem in a sea of poo poo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Disliking widescreen in VHS format is legitimate. You're only getting like 180 lines of resolution or something out of it. DVDs would just stretch the image, so you'd use the full vertical resolution, but VHS was not capable of that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Im pretty sure I still have a set of star wars trilogy special edition vhs tapes from 97 that are fullscreen. you could buy either the full screen or wide screen versions. The widescreen versions were silver colored and the fullscreen were gold lol

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
I only watch Youtube videos on my smartphone.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
you can take my 4:3 aspect ratio from my cold dead hands op

I am saddened that not even steve jobs was able to make it a thing again with the iPad

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If anyone is interested, I started a thread on movie formats and widescreen in CineD:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747647

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Non-anamorphic widescreen was the best. This transfer burned the black bars into the image so even if you shelled out $ in the early days of 16:9 TVs you still got a 4:3 image, but with black bars on the sides, top and bottom.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

what's a dvd?

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

also, what the gently caress is a tv?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

ghlbtsk posted:

Non-anamorphic widescreen was the best. This transfer burned the black bars into the image so even if you shelled out $ in the early days of 16:9 TVs you still got a 4:3 image, but with black bars on the sides, top and bottom.

I have an early (1997?) copy of Blue Velvet which is like this.

The transfer is also pure .rm quality.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the pan and scan release of A League of Their Own was horrible.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I still watch VHS ans full screen DVDs

I watch all my movies on a 13" CRT and with the black bars cutting off the top and bottom on widescreen I can barely see anything if I watch ws

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ghlbtsk posted:

The only available DVD of the Abyss is like this. It is still not released on Blu-ray either and at this point i doubt it ever will be.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i like laserdick

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

NihilismNow posted:

The only available DVD of the Abyss is like this. It is still not released on Blu-ray either and at this point i doubt it ever will be.

Well that movie sucks so...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

But its not filling up my whole screen! *buys 4:3 dvds*

*buys HD television*

But its not filling up my whole screen! *watches 4:3 dvd stretched to 16:9 *

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

lmao if u cran doon scuba morsh. pret a manger

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I watch Full Metal Jacket 4:3 the way Kubrick intended

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

But its not filling up my whole screen! *buys 4:3 dvds*

*buys HD television*

But its not filling up my whole screen! *watches 4:3 dvd stretched to 16:9 *

For some reason, my mom would buy me 4:3 DVDs for Christmas because I hadn't switched my TV to HD yet, despite the fact that I had been buying 16:9 DVDs for years at that point.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Our 16:9 screen can be set to a 4:3 aspect ratio if we ever find ourselves watching something shot in 4:3 (a lot of classic TV was shot in 4:3 format). My wife is perpetually watching 4:3 stretched out to 16:9 and vice versa because she forgets to adjust the picture settings to the appropriate aspect ratio. She does not understand why I get so upset about this and claims she cannot tell the difference until I point it out and sometimes not even then.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applewhite posted:

Our 16:9 screen can be set to a 4:3 aspect ratio if we ever find ourselves watching something shot in 4:3 (a lot of classic TV was shot in 4:3 format). My wife is perpetually watching 4:3 stretched out to 16:9 and vice versa because she forgets to adjust the picture settings to the appropriate aspect ratio. She does not understand why I get so upset about this and claims she cannot tell the difference until I point it out and sometimes not even then.

Doesn't your player have a setting to automatically switch over?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Applewhite posted:

(a lot of classic TV was shot in 4:3 format)

whoa

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Doesn't your player have a setting to automatically switch over?

Not for streaming TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applewhite posted:

Not for streaming TV.

That's odd, because I've streamed plenty of things in both aspect ratios and I've never had an issue :confused:

• Locked thread