Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Not quite? More like, not at all.

I should make a list of all the horrible things I did at my last job.

One of them was when I called my coworker a lisptard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Edit: Never. Minde.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Ithaqua posted:

That's a stupid question. "Take a wild guess at what sorting algorithm is used by a framework method that you're unlikely to have ever looked at the source to".

You don't need to guess the specific algorithm at all.

You should also be able to answer questions like, "what is the big O of this ORDER BY query (given certain indexes)" without knowing the precise internal machinations of a database engine. And then give an estimate of the round-trip latency depending on how big the dataset is / how big rows are. And the way you'd come up with the answer is, "it's using a {b-tree|hash table|none of the above}, so obviously blah blah blah." The operative word there being "obvious."

sarehu fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 3, 2016

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

csammis posted:

Would anyone actually ask this? Real-world read speed and query-to-result is going to be dictated by pressures on the database engine by other queries and memory / tempdb caching, not just table size.

...or did I just give the best answer? :aaa:

I wasn't recommending that as an interview question, my point is that it's the sort of back-of-the-envelope awareness that is useful in real life at real jobs. Big O is the first step, more specifics are the second. Like this one coworker I had once whose answer to problems that could easily be solved by batching SQL queries was to bring in some blades he happened to have lying around at home, because he just didn't get it. Being able to say "this'll bring a ~33x speedup" and have it turn out to be 30x is quite useful when you're deciding what to do. It's like avoiding homeless people in San Francisco: you're better off with a hill-climbing algorithm than blind search.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Antti posted:

It was pretty fun when I sat down with a developer (I'm a subject-matter expert officially but I end up doing a fair amount of QA testing for reasons) and started going through a routine test case in our expert system that I've been doing regularly for two years by now, and their jaw dropped when I started tabbing through the fields, using all the shortcuts I'd learned, etc. I'm not a "real" tester but apparently I can test faster than our actual testers. I guess it helps that I've used the system for ages, that'd be why I'm the SME. And it's also easy to test fast when you wrote that particular test case yourself in the first place. It's muscle memory at this point.

What.

Are you doing this manually?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

comedyblissoption posted:

why does US culture continue the insult of being expected to give employers 2 weeks notice to quit but employers are not expected to extend the same courtesy when they fire you

Why are you so insulted? Unless you're rage quitting there's no reason not to give notice.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Cuntpunch posted:

The concern is that if you, the worker, don't give plenty of notice and opportunity to replace you, you're at fault.
But the employer can basically say "get the gently caress out" at a moment's notice and you're expected to leave and be owed nothing because obviously, if they gave notice to you, you might HARM THEM.

No poo poo. It's a totally banal point, because obviously you don't keep employing somebody that has no motivation to work hard or might have a grudge against you. Leaving with notice, on the other hand, lets your departure be handled much more economically optimally. This is all obvious and whining about it is stupid.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Pollyanna posted:

I've been denied short term disability for a total of seven work days for recovery from a medically necessary surgery. Companies can be really poo poo about this sort of thing.

Huh? You don't have 7 days of vacation to schedule?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

a foolish pianist posted:

You shouldn't have to burn vacation for surgery recovery. That's literally what short-term disability is for.

If you paid for short-term disability insurance. But if you haven't, then you should have to burn vacation.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

I guess I've been spoiled by a startup and then a European company, but this sounds insane.

Why should the company paying your salary give you free money? Why not the company next door, or your neighbor?

Short term disability insurance is a common employment benefit, and (*googles*) it's mandatory in some states.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

AskYourself posted:

If you like to see it this way : because onboarding new hire and getting them up to speed at a good productivity level cost the company more than 2 months salary. So if the sick employee is a good one it's a better financial choice.

That's a good reason to have short term disability insurance for your developers as a benefit. And also a good idea in New Yorp's case. And if you didn't, and an employee asked for extra days off... that's the same as if they're asking for a raise. And the reason to give them a raise is subject to questions like, are they a good employee, and how easily can they leave.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Vulture Culture posted:

I had a well-reasoned reply half typed but I think it's more appropriate to just respond with "stop posting"

In other words "I have opinions but they're religious and I can't articulate them on a rational basis."

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Munkeymon posted:

I count 6: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas

Last job I had the day after Thanksgiving and some rando Christian holiday off in the spring (no, not Easter), but that's the best automatic holiday list I've had. This job is just better in every other way than that, so I don't mind the extra two days.

At my last job we had Election Day off (in even years) but this was only mentioned in the employee manual. I was the only one to take the day off, didn't announce it to anybody beforehand, they were wondering why I didn't show up to work.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Also stay in the office until 5 PM for at least two weeks before going to the boss about how somebody else is hurting team <whatever>.

Also stop letting them be a blocker, but you have a project manager and poo poo that are clued into this right? Get them to deal with this poo poo.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 26, 2017

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dirty Frank posted:

I take 5 weeks every year, what poo poo hole country do you live in Fool?

One where salaries are a lot higher and you can retire earlier?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Xarn posted:

As an european, work rights in USA chat always amuses me... How do you put up with this poo poo?

The USA has a higher material standard of living than Europe. This includes metrics like poor USA households' dwelling size being bigger than average Europeans', whether you have laundry machines or a dishwasher, average number of unexploded bombs buried underneath your backyard, etc. How do Europeans put up with their poo poo?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
What would be fair is for everybody to pay the same amount of taxes.

If we want to better society through taxation a good start would be to tax dynamic typing.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's amazing how these so-called "workers' rights" are useless to anybody with enough self control to have savings.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Xerophyte posted:

Sweden has strong unions and very strict employee protection laws, which probably does hamper startups and entrepreneurship and does make companies more hesitant to hire more people unless they're sure there's a long term need. On the other hand, employees are typically take the long-term view and have high job satisfaction and performance, and the Swedish tech industry is booming.

Sweden's labor market is a big reason why its immigrants do such a poor job of integrating.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
In some US states (California, Massachusetts, for example) this effectively exists -- mandatory vacation payouts. They put enough crimp on the ability of small companies to operate -- you end up having to keep extra cash around -- that they've switched to "unlimited vacation." We're talking less than a month's worth of notice here. Multiply by 20 employees and you've got to keep ~$200K around. Of course, people can take this payment in advance, by using their vacation hours.

If you should get a payout for getting laid off or fired, why not give people the option of receiving a lump sum payment in advance, in exchange for no payout if they get removed from the company? Is not being able to make such a deal also a worker's right?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
In California IIRC the state can even dip into C-level employees' personal wealth to pay employees' last paychecks. Maybe conditional on certain facts. I don't know how that applies to vacation payouts. I don't think it has to be in "the bank."

sarehu fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 24, 2017

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Call it a consulting firm.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

I love Prolog so much. Did a bunch of my masters NLP work with it. It's such a shame no one in industry uses it or even cares that it exists.

What would they use it for?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

KoRMaK posted:

I don't understand why that would even be a concern. Like really, I don't get it. Why hash your function names

To map function names to implementations in a hash table.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Elasticsearch not being a database is only true in the sense that it's a marketing decision. The same might be true of Solr, I don't know anything about it, but there's no reason why a search index would be a distinct piece of software from a database.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
ACID isn't applicable if you don't have transactions. You've just got the D to worry about.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Oh, I guess I was taking C for granted. Fail!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck: Did you never code review your contractor's work?

I think that actually risks making them classified as an employee. Maybe it depends on other risk factors.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
"Unpassionate" is code for low-IQ mutationally loaded dum-dums for which the idea of coding in their free time is unreasonable because it would take them too much time to make anything interesting. Also, females would have as much free time in college as males of equal intellect. In the workforce they have more free time because they work less hours. So how could this be about white men? What a dumb bitch.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
College students? Engineers who don't have kids out of wedlock?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Volmarias posted:

There was already a list.

You talking about the one with people privileged not to have a social life, or was there a real list?

In my experience it's possible to be a passionate developer and also find time to play a round of golf in the morning five days a week so I'm going to conclude, correctly, that the notion some people are just to busy too have any interest in their field is complete nonsense. If you want something interesting enough to talk about that you did outside of work in an interview, it takes a day or two. And then you can ride on that for ten years. I moved into a condo previously held by a doctor who apparently had enough time to read a medical journal. My dentist talks about papers he read.

Maybe some people are more passionate about complaining endlessly about the industry they work in, over the problem that it pays women less, before segueing into the problem that men work more hours when what men should be doing is going home and drinking wine alone with their cat and posting pictures of this for likes on Instagram.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It definitely takes only one day. You're falling behind and people on the street who stare at you when you aren't looking can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
They buy the crib and clothes and paint the nursery before conceiving the child.