Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ChickenWing posted:

I acutally was recently upgraded to a 6-core@3.4ghz Xeon machine with 32GB RAM and a 256GB SSD

That was from a much worse machine with like a 4-core@2ghz Xeon with 4gb RAM. I had to expedite the upgrade because I got moved to a new project and the server application wouldn't start due to lack of free memory.

You need some pro-tier equipment like this:

Also, every Friday at noon the AV kicks in for a couple of hours and nothing can be done during the run (TREND MICRO OfficeScan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

JawnV6 posted:

I thought this was the non-horrific thread

I think Azure only promotes this deployment model for the Web Sites service.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ithaqua posted:

Agile and Scrum are different things, though! You have to make sure you choose the bad process that works right for you. :v:

Does Agile actually have any meaning any more? I thought it was mainly Scrum vs Kanban?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That guy is really obnoxious to listen to, starting out with being wrong about GOTO and then he goes all "me, me, me".

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

This is not Martin's best talk, he does quite a few though and this topic has been covered very well by Google too: scaling linearly at Google scale is completely impractical. I can't find a link to the video though

Doesn't really explain why all the Node.js based job applications fail miserably, I can't imagine the C samples being concise.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

high scalability.com found this trove of interesting white papers to read.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gounads posted:

Very timely. Yesterday, I hop on a screen share to help a fellow developer figure out an issue. Call ended with me taking 20 minutes to show him how to use an interactive debugger. He didn't even know it was an option.

I expect that was the most valuable 20 minutes I'll spend this quarter.

I see extremes, at one end real time systems where a debugger is DoA, I've hardly ever touched a debugger at all in my career, the other is offline processing for which I've seen the peak. Reuters has a web service (https://hosted.datascope.reuters.com/) for accessing a plethora of content but for bizarre reasons only support a C# SDK built off the service. They ship a demo app which includes a Metro interface showing the available API and example usage in C# together with a "Run" button. There are instructions to note you need to attach a debugger to the process to follow the underlying request and response, it is not shown in the UI.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Horn posted:

Titles are nuts but in general architect is pretty high up there on the chain while still being a primarily technical role.

A lot of companies don't have architects as a dedicated role, some places it is the nomenclature for a drag-n-drop UI based developer ala TIBCO Business Works or similar:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

revmoo posted:

The issue is that this industry attracts super-spergs like flies, so you get people that are truly passionate about technology working insane hours because it's a source of recreation for them. They get to build a Tower of Babel that is woven from their sheer autism using all these exotic technologies and weird/unique methods, when in reality they're over-engineering EVERYTHING, and their opinionated attitudes poison the well for everyone else that isn't full-blown autistic. It's maddening, and it has to be the worst part of working in this industry.

I do the insane hours and recreation side but I still get hassled when the "exotic technologies" are things like C++11 or Apache Log4j2, I deliberately go out of my way to make super under-engineered stuff that is really simple and just barely does the task at hand but is rock solid stable (because it doesn't do anything). Nobody cares as it just means other people mistakes become more apparent now. I've got to five years without a production bug following this model :shrug:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

quote:

Refactoring is a team effort, not a PR-level thing. Refractors need buy-in from the team at large in order to tackle, which means going through the "add to list of improvements -> accept into backlog -> make ticket -> add to backlog -> estimate at backlog pruning -> drag into sprint" workflow. This is the feedback that my co-worker was least sure about, and we talked about the difficult in balancing it with "leave things better than you found it". We settled on PR-level refactoring being limited to the immediately relevant code touched by the PR, and even then to as minimal as possible.

The Chromium Project has an odd take on refactoring, they prefer completely fixing the larger picture than smaller PR's that improve what is there today. This can mean ugly code lives in the tree for a long time.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Webshop part of amazon yes. I don't work for either of them but I understand that one of the big reasons why Amazon webshop barely has a presence in the Netherlands is because they simply cannot compete against Bol's popularity.

It's more likely that Holland is tiny and Amazon France and Germany are enough to cover the Benelux region well?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CPColin posted:

migrate stuff from HTML4 to HTML5

How is this even a thing?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sounds like they want an additional UAT environment then, production reliability but non-production.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CPColin posted:

Knowing Java, they're all going to be NullPointerExceptions!

The excellent developers at Reuters do this, or an exception with the error code embedded somewhere in a text string of dubious usefulness. Frequently the errors are reported asynchronously in a log file and the execution path silently craps out :350:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

VIM is nice when you want to just see the code and nothing else, IDEs tend to be visibly slow and showing a lot of unnecessary detail. It's a bit difficult to beat the performance when remotely editing files.

I only modify VIM to save per-file edit position, I cannot remember pretty much anything more than the simple editing functions. Copy & paste is utterly awful and I usually hop into Sublime to do that :derp:

I work in a domain that the debugging features are usually of no assistance though, that's my excuse. Plus project management is usually totally retarded in MSVC.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 2, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I think we all know what is wrong and terrible with interviews, the challenge is finding things that are not.

Aside from the majority of companies copying others there is a significant problem due to high renumeration that there are applicants willing and coached to game the system. Bloomberg suffers this a lot with NYC with every recruiter offering interview classes.

I have still yet to in my entire career gain a full time job offer from a developer interview, I have to workaround the system with freelancing or systems architect type titles. I mean they may be right and I would suck in those roles, but I do wonder how companies would attempt to interview for the positions I have had which I only had to chat with a non-technical manager for.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 18, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A similar area was posted about on the BBC recently, gender bias in job description language.

quote:

A job description that uses the phrase "We're looking for someone to manage a team" may seem innocuous enough.
But research, based on an analysis of hundreds of millions of job ads, has shown that the word "manage" encourages more men than women to apply for the role.
Changing the word to "develop" would make it more female-friendly, says Kieran Snyder, chief executive of Seattle-based Textio, an "augmented writing software" company.
Textio uses artificial intelligence to pore over job descriptions in real time, highlighting any terms that could come across as particularly masculine or feminine. The software then suggests alternatives.
"We don't explain why this or that phrase excludes women," says Ms Snyder. "We just provide the data and the company in question can come up with their own theory on why that sentence doesn't work."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44399028

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

the workstation client itself is over six million lines of C++, registers itself as a windows shell namespace extension, and does all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Think about the fun times that led up to that alone.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Rubellavator posted:

What do you call a modernization effort that replaces maintainable and performant code/technology with unperformant and unmaintainable code/technology? Cause that's what I'm part of right now.

Progress.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Boiled Water posted:

why is cosmos db so stupid expensive? To drive SQL sales?

Isn't it supposed to be a globally distributed DB with SQL support? There's some blog with a developer interning at Microsoft for a year or so and masterbating furiously over how wonderful it is and so much better than Google's Spanner.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

smackfu posted:

Heard at work today: “Can our REST library handle XML responses instead of JSON?”

Of course, if you're lucky you may even get a CDATA,
code:
<JSON>{
  "firstName": "John",
  "lastName": "Smith"
}
</JSON>

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

beuges posted:

I have just discovered that somebody has checked in a .git folder into the svn repository for this application I'm maintaining.
edit: also a number of node_modules, dist, bin and obj folders. :bang:

I think that’s me. Some orgs like dumping copies of third party stuff and if that’s a git checkout well that comes along for the ride too.

SVN server died and lost a lot, so just pushed a copy of the working directory back.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jabor posted:

Do you people not have threaded emails or something?

Outlook had functioning threaded emails only recently and is still not as reliable as Gmail threading, but the performance of the UI is so impressively awful it's best to disable it. Outlook continues to be a poster child of bad app development.

For an organisation that throws nearly 50 threads at a file dialog to make it responsive how can they make the majority of Outlook's basic email usage pattern constantly locking in the UI. It's like the code is still being copy & pasted from DOS apps.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 16, 2019

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rt4 posted:

Nah, it gets to be soul crushing after a while

Yes, when it gets to multiple years I started moonlighting.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Keetron posted:

My favorite vendor API thing was with a vendor that kept pointing to the docs when I had questions so when I found a difference in behavior between the API and the specs and pointed that out, they said nothing but without warning changed the API a week or three later. gently caress everyone who integrated with the actual instead of the documented use, I guess?

That’s fine to a degree, you need a spec and it’s better to be the docs than the implementation.

It’s all too levels of webdev poo poo to have “examples” as docs and completely undefined implementation with different behaviour on each set of api calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rt4 posted:

alias make='make -j64'

The make team recently adding a new env variable specifically for crap like this, :lol:

GNU software, where having details about what is in a new release should never be in the news feed, or product page,

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/make.git/tree/NEWS

Apparently it is MFLAGS or MAKEFLAGS, compared to Gentoo's MAKEOPTS

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 26, 2020