Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah I have periods of downtime at my current job and I just dig in and learn as much as I can about the tools/languages I work in or write stuff that will help me down the line. I've built a few components that ended up saving me (and some of coworkers) a lot of work on later projects.

Also read the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Is pair programming something people actually spend a majority of their working hours doing? Standing over a coworker's shoulder and going over something every once in a while is fine but doing it all the time sounds like the most miserable thing in the world.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Does anyone's office not basically shut down the last week of December? All my jobs have allowed carryover and it's still always a ghost town between Christmas and New Years.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Here's our PR process:

1. Break tests
2. Create PR without running tests locally
3. PR build fails
4. Reviewer merges without looking at code or failed build
5. Develop build fails
6. "Must be a problem with the frontend"

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah if I had to work in an environment that used spaces I'd demand more money too

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Let me introduce you to Visual Studio Code my man

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Jesus Christ it just keeps going :eyepop:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

We're using Elasticsearch as our sole datastore and then ended up setting everything up with basically no analyzers anyways because we never use text search and only do exact and wildcard queries :v:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Tbh your editor/gofmt/etc should just do all of this transparently. I had to double check because I wasn't entirely certain whether or not I had actually been using tabs for the past year

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Out of curiosity, what did your primary care physician say when you asked them how many hours they spend practicing medicine in their free time?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It goes beyond passion for me. I will not apply to any job that doesn't have the phrase "rockstar" in the description

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

This week when my family gets together to watch football, and my brother spends the entire game reading medical textbooks like he usually does, I'll give him a silent nod and he will know that I too read a blog post about a new Javascript framework outside of work hours

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

There's a counter to the left of each line that tells you how long it should be. It makes all your code look like pizza slices :)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Love that the nightmare union scenario is having a sysadmin reboot a server instead of a developer

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

My last job doing internal web apps at a DOD organization our testing process was:

1. Send customer an email linking to our dev server
2. Customer never looks at it
3. Assume everything is fine
4. Fix issues on live production code

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Calling everything you don't like "lazy" is lazy!!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I was really impressed by your background!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

You've been promoted. Roll d8 + CON for additional sprint points

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Technical Reverse Mortgage?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Not true, sometimes things work great right away, and then suddenly stop working

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah that's my favorite: "I'm not done yet but I'm gonna hit run anyways to see how it brea--wait why did that work something is very wrong"

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I always put incorrect expected values the first time I run tests just to make sure it can actually fail

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Volmarias posted:

You should be adding tests for unhappy paths along with tests for your happy paths.

I'm not talking about unhappy paths, I've seen incorrectly written tests passing when they shouldn't so now in my paranoia I force them to fail first and then fix it

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the only ethical consumption under capitalism is application/json

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I recently had to explain to a senior dev why he couldn't copy the -d '{json...}' argument from a curl command and stick it on the end of the URL string in a Javascript request

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

for me it's called Week 2

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

tbh I could not care less about True RESTful Standards or what HTTP methods you use or how you pass args as long as you provide some sort of OpenAPI/etc schema so I can generate a client

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

was just in a 3 hour meeting discussing this exact problem

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

just got to stage 3 I want to die

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

One time on one of our internal apps for fun I made it so the user could customize their own color scheme

It was basically Hot Dog Stands all around

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

one weird trick to never have to give raises again

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

TBH the answer is going to be highly dependent on the nature of the data and how it's being used. I wouldn't say that "I don't want to GET/POST the whole thing" is a very compelling reason by itself.

Is there some reason why a complete GET/POST is expensive? Is latency a major concern? Are they doing bulk updates of single fields? Is the thing they really want to do something that would be better served by a new API (e.g.: update by query)? Does every other API already implement this as a standard?

Regardless the question isn't "what is the best way to do this?" it's "is it worth spending the time to do this?" and it's not up to you to come up with that justification, and possibly not up to you to make that decision.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I wouldn't do anything without some real metrics on how much these operations are actually bogging down your servers. He wants you to make a new API and then rewrite a bunch of client code to optimize a REST call that happens once every few minutes?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If you do decide to help him the answer is probably not writing a generic JSON manipulation API but just giving him an Update Progress endpoint

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

At my last place there was a guy who would come in before 5 (AM). Most everyone left between 2-3. I came in at like 10-1030 and had the office to myself for 3-4 hours every afternoon it was loving great.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

My current experience with Jira is improved by coming from a place with a nightmarish custom Remedy setup

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

"Do you know why <thing> isn't working?"

"What do you mean by not working?"

"I'm trying to use it and it's giving me some error"

"What are you trying to do?"

"Well I'm trying to do <process> and it's giving me an error"

"At what point are you getting an error?"

"Doing <thing>"

"Through the UI? From another service? cURL?"

"cURL"

"What's the error?

"I'm not sure, some kind of access error or something"

"What's the http code?"

"I don't know, do you need that?"

"Just send me the cURL command"

"You put -X instead of -H for a header"

every day with this poo poo

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Keetron posted:

The above post but with:
<thing> has a bug.

See also: The system is down

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

"Hey has anyone told you yet that the system is down?"

"What? Production?"

"No, R&D"

"It looks like everything is up and healthy"

"I'm looking at the UI and there aren't any jobs running"

"Are you trying to run something?"

"No"

"Is something supposed to be running?"

"I don't know"

"Are any of the data feeds turned on in R&D?"

"I don't know"

"If nobody is testing anything right now you're not going to see any jobs running in R&D"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Please no one fall for the "I can't right now but give me 6 months" line