Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ithaqua posted:

I don't know how true that is even if you had a 50 inch monitor.

Yeah, he's forgetting the 4+ GBs of RAM. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The secretary that handles the punched cards isn't the cloud.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm having a worryingly lot of free time lately and I'm either on the forums a lot or I'm trying to learn new JS stuff, like React and Redux.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I'm getting into serverside programming after about 7 straight years of doing Android.

:iit:

As someone that loves serverside programming, dealing with Android was always a source of frustration.

Welcome to the club. :toot:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

I mean obviously "only hire talented people" is a great answer, but that's not realistic at all, so what's the real-world solution?

I don't think there's any practical solution to turn bad devs into good devs other than replacing. If they aren't willing to improve themselves they just won't, and there's really nothing else to be done.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You are probably trying to make the point "lol, entitled shits", but not understanding why a process is there is a valid complaint. :shobon:

Of course, that depends on the tone of the rants more than anything else, but.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I just take the mounds of process as a reason to try and be less pressured and hurried. If it's gonna take a while, I might as well let my blood pressure benefit from it.

Yep. I don't think I'm going to stress out if something like that holds up my job either.

Though I heard a few stories about managers breathing down on the development team's neck and demanding the thing for yesterday, when the thing is held by company processbureaucracy and your hands are tied. Those managers can go gently caress themselves.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

piratepilates posted:

We both know it was the CEO

That, or someone from HR.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

- Jargon

If you don't have jargon, what do you have? :confused:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

I'm working in a nodejs project right now, and I haven't found a good user signup plugin. Like, this has to be a common thing, and I'm sure other people have done it better than me. Well, in rails there is a gem called devise. Again, it frees me up from having to write code for an already well solved problem.

And then your special snowflake application has to sign up users slightly differently from the method that the plugin supports and either you have to scrap the plugin and roll your own method anyway, or try to kludge what you need in the plugin and ending up with a complete mess, or the plugin is so generic and full of required configuration that it's barely worth keeping it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

It kinda seems like most products that companies (startups, corporations, the whole gamut) need pretty much just boil down to REST-y CRUD apps. For customer-facing services, anyway. A lot of the interesting problems are either already solved via plugins and gems, or require some crazy Ph.D level work to solve.

I'm not sure if I would call problems that can be solved with plugins interesting anyway. That you can just slap a plugin on them makes them uninteresting IMO.

Pollyanna posted:

It feels like the technology is becoming less and less the actual barrier to productivity and success, and design is becoming more and more important as those barriers are coming down. Which kinda makes me wonder where software engineers will be going in the future.

I agree with you on the technology part, but I think that people that know their poo poo aren't going anywhere soon. Businesspeople will always need tech people to translate their requirements into things that people that code understand.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Just put all the candidates in a room then put the interviewer in the middle and blindfold him. Spin him around a bunch then have him try to walk in a straight line. First candidate he blunders into and knocks over gets the job.

gather all the cvs in a pile and throw them upwards, whichever cv the hr person picks gets the job.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is this a case where he does poo poo work but his personal apps are good? If this is the case I guess this is a classic case of being unmotivated.

Though I guess it's irrelevant if his personal apps are good, because he's doing a lovely job no matter what so no big loss to you either way.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

I got so frustrated I checked the SVN branch and main development into GIT and did the merge that way and it was a lot better. When that happens, you question why are you even using SVN...

Because there's at least one old fart that says that git is too complex (meaning that they don't understand git) to implement. And that assuming that they know that git exists.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Man, I just took off 3 weeks PTO and the first day I was back I was already goofing off in the forums quite a bit. Is this burn out already?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Don't get me wrong, I love to goof off, especially on Mondays. And I don't mind being not excited about my job, but I would have liked to be excited enough to come home and put some of my ideas for projects in practice. As it is, I literally come home home, sigh and just proceed to jerk off the rest of the evening.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Look man, don't be upset that you don't feel like coming home and coding for 6 more hours after coding all day at your job. By the time I'm done at work my brains are usually leaking out my ears and I simply don't have the mental energy left for any more programming, despite having things I'd like to make. More importantly, I'm certain that if I forced myself to do it anyway, I would burn out extremely rapidly, and my personal projects would probably be mostly poo poo code anyway.

Yeah, that makes sense, thanks. I still can't imagine how some people have the energy to both code at work and then work on OSS or personal projects in their free time.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Talk to your supervisor and if he blows you off or doesn't pull any strings then just warm your chair until you get that sorted out.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pie Colony posted:

What database implementations supporting nested transactions don't allow you to roll back everything in the outer transaction's scope?

First time that I've heard of nested transactions.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Except when you are neither. :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sometimes your PR is huge/intricate and they just can't be bothered to read all that and prefer to review the easy ones. Splitting the huge PR into multiple, smaller, less complex PRs could work.

The times that I have had success with getting big PRs pushed is when I talked with my project lead beforehand, and we both agreed that it was going to be a lot of code.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 3, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

The PR one is the most reasonable and a legit fuckup on my part. I'm used to the "gently caress it get it out as soon as possible and let others comment on it" mentality that I got from...somewhere?...and it's probably just making things worse. I guess I just don't fully understand how to go from "it works" to "it's acceptable" outside of "make the code look good and more robust". I'll have to experiment with that a bit, it's high time I held myself to a better standard.

Maybe contributing to projects on GitHub? In the times I had PRs open there, it was normal to have a substantial PR and then lots of smaller commits while it's open to fix things the repo owner asked.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Is this a thing that actually happens or am I better off not knowing and being able to sleep peacefully?

Yes, but it's more likely that you have a bad RAM chip or something.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 10, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

return0 posted:

Sure. We give the candidate two files full of 2D points (one tiny and one big), and ask them to write a program to find the point furthest away from any other point. The files are just lines of the form:

code:
name x y
The instructions provide the correct answer for both files, so the candidate can verify their solution. They can use whatever language, but we state we expect the program to be better than O(N^2) (and ideally be fast in practice). We also ask that the program read input from standard input and write the point name as output to standard output.

There is some narrow overlap with the domain we work in, but really we find it's a nice enough exercise because it requires a little bit of research if people are not familiar with spatial data, and requires a little bit of implementation. It's nice because it should generally not take that long, and it also gives us something to talk about with the candidate.

Not sure if that would be appropriate for you to use, but I'm sure there are equivalents for your domain? I think we could easily switch to a different but similarly scoped exercise and get the same benefit.

I wouldn't even know how to start optimizing. :negative: I think I could write the stupid solution, but. :negative:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

rt4 posted:

When you're writing software, do you find most of the challenge to be in code organization rather than algorithm development? Seems like everything I do is pretty easy. Getting things done while preventing or fixing a mess feels like the only part worth being proud of.

This has been my experience as well. Except for optimization or if it is something really specific to your problems, say business logic for report#6789 for startup#1234, I figure that the really interesting algorithms have already been abstracted away to libraries and such.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

We have the opposite, there's a company-sponsored "codeathon" 2-day at the end of this week that basically amounts to "lock the developers in a room until they come out with something". My coworkers are questioning how they're supposed to explain to their family that they need to stay overnight in a city 2 hours away. :downs:

You mean it's an optional team building thing and they can build whatever they want for their own personal gain with lodging and food provided by the company, right?

If it's not it then :sever:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 12, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

... What's grooming?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

csammis posted:

Working in Development: What's grooming?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

We aren't using a framework, we're basically taking a microservices approach and dispatching to different web views based on nginx url matching so each team can develop completely independently, and so we can all use different tech that allows us to turn the header, footer, content, calculators, etc. into drop-in components that we can include in pages written through a CMS.

Wait, what do you mean that's not what microservices are????

I'm imagining that one team is building on Jquery, another is using AngularJS, another is using React, and another is using Jquery, but has a completely different way of using it than the first one and so on.

Fake edit: Misread the next post, this hasn't happened. Yet.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

With that attitude you should actually be Mushrooms, fed poo poo and kept in darkness.

:drat:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

One True Pairing?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not sure about the fan, but my code sure is fiction.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

rt4 posted:

Ah, sounds like my last job. I quit that place after 4 months.

I am on that job for four years now.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Short term disability is equal to the company giving the employee free money, you heard it here first, folks.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

sunaurus posted:

My expectation has always been that if I some day decided to work for a US based company, I could still get similar conditions, but based on the previous posts here, I'm starting to doubt this. Can anyone clear it up for me?

I don't work in the US as well, but from what I understand from these forums is that for the average employee it sucks pretty hard.

You can get boons like porp, but afaik he is pretty senior in his corp.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

sarehu posted:

In other words "I have opinions but they're religious and I can't articulate them on a rational basis."

I think you should just stop posting.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Roadie posted:

I wonder how long until we start seeing business apps coded in Unity because of this.

*tugs collar*

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If it's any solace, the day I realized that I was doing a business application in loving Unity, I redid it in WinForms which is arguably better, I guess.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

curufinor posted:

Hey, I got told to post in this thread instead of the projects thread

I've been working on a weird dealio for predicting how long github issues will take (like a super small version of COCOMO, but not a giant piece of poo poo and with no human input). Weirdly complicated as a machine learning dealio. It's not incredible but it's not bad either, and I've been wondering if it was better than humans. Would any of you be up for a small head-to-head to see if you're better than the machine? PM me if interested, or hlee.howon at the google mail service if you don't have pms

Issues? On GitHub? Infinite time. Where do I collect my paycheck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

That must be a nightmare to diff.

Unless you are saving the models in a text format, git doesn't even try to diff binary files, other than saying that "Yeah, this changed".