Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Yeah, idempotence is the property that f(x) = f(f(x)); they're talking about pure functions.

We're finally (maybe) getting version control at my job. Still writing code directly on production servers, but, you know, baby steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Well, source control isn't "fast" enough, you see. Clearly the best way to write code is to make a change to your file, FTP it to the production server, and cross your fingers that nothing breaks. Instant feedback!

Thankfully, my team only has to interact with that stuff peripherally; we have a Kallithea HG server that we store our repos on, and the only trouble is when we need someone on one of the other teams to make a change to a system we interact with.

Also, it's Coldfusion web dev (them, not us; we do Python). I feel that explains a fair bit, frankly.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Or buy a Kinesis Advantage.

Seconding this, it's the best hardware purchase I probably ever made.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Yeah, we'd need like, a union to be laborers

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

That's not, uh.... quite what Bolshevik means. But "worker" is probably the more correct term.

Anyway, at work last week they laid off all but one of our QA people (and UX people), and now our team lead is leaving, which puts me next in line for lead role.
What's the right amount of time to give the company to find another lead before I get the hell out?

e: Also we have a major deadline in about 2 months which we now have to do both dev and QA for.

Asymmetrikon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 19, 2018