Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

return0 posted:

Even if you wanted this, why not just push to a git repo on the box, or push to like GitHub and have a cron to pull the production branch? Pushing a bunch of diffs to SCM and having it automatically show up on production is like literally easier and less error prone than scp-ing every changed file manually.

Easier to set up your own remote that auto-pushes to live whenever someone pushes to it. That way changes go live immediately and you only need one pull as part of the build for the production box, so it's more robust when you nuke and rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

return0 posted:

Well, yes, exactly.

You'd be amazed how many people I've met who act like it's some kind of miracle solution. I should thank them for driving me to drink, it's faster than walking.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Steve French posted:

Production box, singular? Sounds like a pet. How does this scale to multiple potentially short lived servers that are autoscaled? Or does production box mean some sort of deployment coordinator?

Since we were talking about a single production box, I don't give a gently caress. When Asymmetrikon has a herd to ride over, a herd solution is appropriate. When they've got a pet — and a thoroughly sick pet at that — I'm going to suggest a way to make that pet less sick.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Waterfail, every time.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

revmoo posted:

Convince people without autism to take over the industry.

A start-up with VC funding for "a disruptive approach to employer's rights"

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

leper khan posted:

Just imagine having a royalty on the employment of all tech workers.

If you'll all excuse me, I have to move to the Bay Area and hire a bunch of techbros.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

PHP is less a programming language, more a Turing-complete set of security vulnerabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Some of the cans have been used as ashtrays. Your boss insists you drink the half-full can of stale, ash- and tobacco-infused beer.

At least two of those cans came like that, and you don't realise until you crack them open and have a taste.