Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.

Shame the sequel's never gonna come out :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

The writing in Contra III on the SNES was fantastic: 'START GAME' 'BRRRREEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP POW POW KACHIIIIISH loving UP ALIENS' etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ksiESlOms

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

DoctorStrangelove posted:

wait, what??

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Flavor Truck posted:

This is a good game. I like this post.

:tipshat:

it is on sale on steam right now if anyone in the thread hasn't played it. it rules.

the dlc came out a few months ago also.

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
Another vote for Knights of the Old Republic 2, I just started replaying it. The world is basically an interconnected series of barren hospital examination rooms and the combat kind of sucks (although it's AD&D, I appreciate that familiarity), but I no longer really want games that I can't play while watching something else, so it hits the spot. Just mash buttons until dialogue appears, then pay attention. The moral choices are pretty gay, but they are still far more significant and satisfying as a 'roleplaying' experience than pretty much anything else I've ever played.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

drat horror queefs posted:

it is on sale on steam right now if anyone in the thread hasn't played it. it rules.

i was gonna buy it but then i saw dead island: goty edition was on sale for the same price, so ergo. :shrug:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
NBA Jam

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

Gabriel Pope posted:

Duck Hunt was adapted from an unpublished lost Dostoevsky manuscript, often considered to be his greatest work.

It's said that Kafka stole the only copy, and that the plot of a poor faded boyar being invited along on a prince's hunting party and blasting futilely away into the evening at birdbrained animals that eluded him totally only to find not even the noble degradation he sought, but only the sniggering of a dog, was the inspiration for his entire worldview.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

I liked Life is strange

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
all your base are belong to us am i right ??? :downs:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.

Ya this game was good

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i know goons are very ironic about liking things but The Stanley Parable was super well done and could only be done in video games

Lufiron posted:

Day of the tentacle

This is the first video game I ever beat, I was in year 1 and they gave me a sticker for using the word "completed" in my diary

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

symbolic posted:

i was gonna buy it but then i saw dead island: goty edition was on sale for the same price, so ergo. :shrug:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dead island: riptide was pretty fun with friends and apparently the original is better, so i expect good fun

i'll get LISA when i get more money

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

symbolic posted:

dead island: riptide was pretty fun with friends and apparently the original is better, so i expect good fun

i'll get LISA when i get more money

k but i got my eye on u buddy :ninja:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Pillars of Eternity was weirdly good.

I didn't think I'd have the patience for something so text-heavy anymore. Maybe it was the Planescape/Baldur's Gate nostalgia (it's not just the look of it, your character can be anything from a snow elf to a shark-man to constantly on fire, but you're still doing the Nameless One thing and digging around for your past life while talking to dead people), but I got pretty into it.

The game's story loves to wreck things when you think you did well, but it's not just constantly dark for the sake of being dark. The way they did it made me keen on beating the badguys and overcoming adversity instead of just wanting to yell at the writers.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
The Zero Escape series is good, I liked it a lot

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

www posted:

grim fandango was well-written imo

I played this one already. It was good and memorable!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only video game narrative worth a drat is the one which takes vicarious nerd fantasy to task: Dragon Age 2.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Metal...Gear?!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Pick posted:

The only video game narrative worth a drat is the one which takes vicarious nerd fantasy to task: Dragon Age 2.

I didn't play that one but I played the other one and it was fun I was a big badass dude with a huge cool axe and I killed dragons and magick users and red guys 9/10 goty potential

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Games do not have good writing. Sorry. Try books.

There are however lots of games that are fun, the two are not mutually exclusive you see.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, OP

This was the correct choice.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Probably Hugo's House of Horrors. Still waiting for a very realistic HD remake of it. I liked his comebacks to put downs, was very clever stuff IMO.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The other day I came into a random stream of a goon's playing "D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die" blind. I might have to get it soon. It was originally an early kinect title, and is now on PC, so the gameplay is basically babby's first QTE, but the writing and characters are so dang bizarre that I couldn't stop watching. i guess that counts for this thread?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Video games will never have good writing because good writers wold just go write actual books and get the respect of human beings instead of the hatred of nerds.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

drat horror queefs posted:

considering this anyone else recommend it

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Kuato posted:

Probably Hugo's House of Horrors. Still waiting for a very realistic HD remake of it. I liked his comebacks to put downs, was very clever stuff IMO.

Easily the best $0.99 I ever spent on an entertainment product.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Putty posted:

i've watched a friend play some of it and it looks pretty cool and unique

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I'm pretty fond of the sims universe. Hellooo Mrs Newbie!

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Wolfenstein: The New Order is surprisingly good on a story level, and you get to shoot nazis on the moon!

Telltale games are pretty good, at least their stuff after (and including) The Walking Dead

Stanley Parable

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Putty posted:

playing it through right now, it's interesting, definitely a unique game that has some interesting moment. definitely recommend

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Broenheim posted:

Telltale games are pretty good, at least their stuff after (and including) The Walking Dead

I regretted buying the wolf among us. Maybe it got good but i couldnt beleive the whole talking animals thing. Animals cant talk.

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

Isaac posted:

I regretted buying the wolf among us. Maybe it got good but i couldnt beleive the whole talking animals thing. Animals cant talk.

But little Bo Peep wants to bang you like a sheep.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
If you want words read a loving book.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPHtugfwoWw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mr. McGibblets posted:

If you want words read a loving book.
why are you literally a retard

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

symbolic posted:

why are you literally a retard

Oh sorry I thought I was in GBS.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mr. McGibblets posted:

Oh sorry I thought I was in GBS.
no, this is Games actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

play steins;gate op.

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

avernum series was p good.

dude's remaking them, it's rad

Pick posted:

you talk about it too much for it to be anything but that

• Locked thread