Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

On this day several hundred years ago the Natives of this great American land decided to welcome the European refugees on to their land. And now we former refugees call the holiday Thanksgiving while the former natives cry and smoke meth and drink alcohol to forget the land they once inhabited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Manifest Destiny's a motherfuck but that's the way it be.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

On this day several hundred years ago the Natives of this great American land decided to welcome the European refugees on to their land. And now we former refugees call the holiday Thanksgiving while the former natives cry and smoke meth and drink alcohol to forget the land they once inhabited.

I'll drink to that

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i often wonder what would have become of their civilization if it was undisturbed, but it wasnt like, one culture, right? i mean it was all these tribes so i think it would have evolved into city-states or something like the greeks, right? hmmm not so sure there, bobby. i mean we keep putting western civilization models on these other cultures. i dunno man. just love one another i guess.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"i often wonder" thats so gay lol "i often wonder" every once in a while about civilization

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OP there is a difference between refugee, immigrant, and colonist.

Maybe you should educate yourself, wouldn't want to come off foolish at Thanksgiving dinner.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Refugees are people paid by their home country to travel to new land, colonize it, and bring back goods.

loving dumbass.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

dad gay. so what posted:

"i often wonder" thats so gay lol "i often wonder" every once in a while about civilization

what do u think about sid meiers civilization series

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

fuckin stone cold blue eyed indian hotties daaaaamn

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Planting fish trees

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

That Robot posted:

what do u think about sid meiers civilization series

best. games. ever.

Vacation Tenzin
Jan 23, 2005

I'M TOTALLY CALM AND RELAXED.
I don't think we should let them in when we have so many of our own who need help already or we could put them in camps and make them work for us hth

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

dad gay. so what posted:

best. games. ever.

good man

:respek:

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Yeah but what a waste to leave this place to people still living in the stone age.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

4outof5 posted:

Yeah but what a waste to leave this place to people still living in the stone age.

Yeah just look at what the middle east has squandered by living like that

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Would it be conservative or liberal to compare european refugees invading america to syrian refugees invading x country

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I will be thankful if there is a Wapos Bay marathon on Teevee tomorrow.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

a hole-y ghost posted:

Would it be conservative or liberal to compare european refugees invading america to syrian refugees invading x country

Well no because the Colonists realized that europe was poo poo centuries ago and got the gently caress out of dodge because they were sick of the tribalistic mentality that had plagued europe for centuries.

So when they saw tribalism from the natives in america they went "no oh gently caress no not this poo poo again" and made the world a better place.

They had amazing foresight because they knew the europeans were incredibly short sighted.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

i often wonder what would have become of their civilization if it was undisturbed, but it wasnt like, one culture, right? i mean it was all these tribes so i think it would have evolved into city-states or something like the greeks, right? hmmm not so sure there, bobby. i mean we keep putting western civilization models on these other cultures. i dunno man. just love one another i guess.

They didn't live in loving wigwams and teepees dude they had towns and cities already. they were just made of wood so they're all gone and nothing remains lmao

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

Cahokia was the largest and the most influential urban settlement in the Mississippian culture which developed advanced societies across much of what is now the central and southeastern United States, beginning more than 1000 years before European contact.[5] Cahokia's population at its peak in the 13th century, an estimated 40,000, would not be surpassed by any city in the United States until the late 18th century. Today, Cahokia Mounds is considered the largest and most complex archaeological site north of the great pre-Columbian cities in Mexico.

Aug 4, 2010

Whoops, sorry indigenous peoples of the Americas

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
First Nations

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

Actually the Native Americans once had a sophisticated network of city states with trade routes and commerce, but it had all collapsed a few centuries prior to the Europeans' arrival. We happened to catch them at a low point in their civilization.

On the one hand it's sad we wiped out the Native Americans, but on the other like, that's history? One civilization wiping out another is nothing new and it probably happened numerous times between NA tribes before we got there. If we're going to vilify the European colonists for doing what was natural in that era, we could just as easily vilify the Incans or the Mayans or Aztecs, who didn't build their empires in a vacuum and who certainly wiped out many tribes of "indigenous" people as part of their own manifest destiny.
The best we can do is learn a lesson from it and not let is happen again. If you start bickering about who invaded who and whose land is whose you end up like the middle east. No human living today is on their ancestors' "original" land and every human population has been displaced so many times that keeping track of who has superior claim to what is an exercise in futility.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

Actually the Native Americans once had a sophisticated network of city states with trade routes and commerce, but it had all collapsed a few centuries prior to the Europeans' arrival. We happened to catch them at a low point in their civilization.

On the one hand it's sad we wiped out the Native Americans, but on the other like, that's history? One civilization wiping out another is nothing new and it probably happened numerous times between NA tribes before we got there. If we're going to vilify the European colonists for doing what was natural in that era, we could just as easily vilify the Incans or the Mayans or Aztecs, who didn't build their empires in a vacuum and who certainly wiped out many tribes of "indigenous" people as part of their own manifest destiny.
The best we can do is learn a lesson from it and not let is happen again. If you start bickering about who invaded who and whose land is whose you end up like the middle east. No human living today is on their ancestors' "original" land and every human population has been displaced so many times that keeping track of who has superior claim to what is an exercise in futility.

Yo your posts are really long for no reason.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Romes128 posted:

Yo your posts are really long for no reason.

That's what she said.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Oberleutnant posted:

They didn't live in loving wigwams and teepees dude they had towns and cities already. they were just made of wood so they're all gone and nothing remains lmao

Funny because they found that Viking settlement in Canada made of wood.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

That's what she said.

im pretty sure a woman has never acknowledged you irl

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Romes128 posted:

im pretty sure a woman has never acknowledged you irl

Shows what you know.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Hey you know what?

No matter how bad it is in America, at least we're not Sweden. Rape Capital of the World.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Funny because they found that Viking settlement in Canada made of wood.
yeah we;ll youre mums a fat oval office how bout that big guy

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Archaeological evidence also suggest than many tribes engaged in cannibalism and were also routinely wiped out by diseases unknowingly brought in from other passing or warring tribes.

Starting to see why they got kicked in the rear end.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Let me, as a 2015 white european from actual Europe, explain to you why Hallowe'en is bad and wrong.
First,

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Let me, as a 2015 white european from actual Europe, explain to you why Hallowe'en is bad and wrong.
First,

I meant The Eastern Hare.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

"welcome". yaaaah, gonna have to disagree with you there. but I guess they should have been thankful for the smallpox.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I don't trust these refugees send em back. They'll prolly try and destroy the country.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
what does this have to do with the Beirut and African university attacks, OP????

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

i'd celebrate this thanks giving

• Locked thread