Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

What interesting events spring to mind? I mean, anything happen to you personally that really amused and/or outraged you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Other expenses include great conference venues with good services like translation, good buffet lunches with free (bad/good) champagne etc.

This piqued my interest because a friend of mine is in that field and it's always been her dream to work in Brussels. How valuable is a high quality translation/interpretation service, and how saturated is the market? I don't know how much you know about that specific area, but I wonder about it sometimes.

Like, I do some translation jobs on the side, but that's mostly written marketing and literary work, and I don't have a MA in translation specifically so I figure my chances are pretty much nil. (Also because I'm limited to Dutch <-> English.) My friend, on the other hand, did get her MA in translation specifically, is fluent in Spanish, English, French and German and fairly competent in Portuguese, Italian and one or two more I'm forgetting here, so I wonder what her chances are and what the pay is like for someone with her skill set.

For that matter, what does your job actually entail? What role do you play? You've talked a bit about, for example, stopping bees from dying. Are you the person sitting at the table talking to the involved parties, or do you organize those meetings/events as well? How do you do your job in practice?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Kung Food posted:

How important are looks when it comes to hiring lobbyists? Would you say lobbyists on average are better looking than the general population? I imagine the big titty blonde bombshell would be better at convincing people than old fat balding white dude.

I actually don't think so. Talking about something like economics the latter would be taken a lot more seriously than the former.

• Locked thread