Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NoDoorway posted:

Do workers in the US get extra pay or time off in lieu if they work a holiday?

My union allows us the option to take either or. If I take $ then it's time and a half, so about under $400 for a single day of work. If I take time then it's an additional 8 hrs vacation added onto my regular 12 hr monthly vacation accrual . So yeah I'd have 20 hrs of vacation time accrued just for this month alone.

So suck it non-Union drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about shop-lifting on thanksgiving?

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
the only people who actually shop in stores on Black Friday are poors

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Police and Fireman get their money from sales tax. So gently caress you OP.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

i don;t want to but I need beer and Total Wine is open until 7, sorry

bitch Dale Mabry/275 is so far :(

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
Reading between the lines I'd have to say that retail slave is a company/boss apologist. Why blame the customers for the store being open on thanksgiving? Isn't it the the bosses and CEOs that made the decision to be open creating an opportunity for people to shop if they choose to? I don't think there'd be any real protests against BIG RETAIL if all companies went back to being closed on thanksgiving. If I'm wrong then I'll guess we'll see what happens outside of REI tonight. I'll pray for the best!

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
too bad OP, i have an addiction to Dr Pepper and the house was empty

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

bitch Dale Mabry/275 is so far :(

I was at that total wine earlier today for scotch.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I always liked working hourly jobs on holidays for the sweet, sweet time-and-a-half or double-time I earned.

Working holidays when salaried sucked, though.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I'm with you, op. Cvs texted me saying that the pharmacist refilled my anti psychotics but I didn't pick them up.

(I'm not making a point here...I'm not saying it was essential for the cvs to be open so the mentally disturbed can get their pills...I am swimming in risperdal)

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
About to lay down so I can be up for my 12-8am shift. gently caress you. Everyone who feels the need to stand in the freezing cold to buy a pair of boots 30% off. Suck my loving dick. There is no reason I should have to be in a retail store working at 3am. None. You can't justify it other than you're poor and or greedy. You fucks.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i bought a $35 kindle on amazon because i hate humanity

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.

Windows 98 posted:

About to lay down so I can be up for my 12-8am shift. gently caress you. Everyone who feels the need to stand in the freezing cold to buy a pair of boots 30% off. Suck my loving dick. There is no reason I should have to be in a retail store working at 3am. None. You can't justify it other than you're poor and or greedy. You fucks.

Is your argument of the fact you have to work a crap shift in a retail store on a "holiday" is because other people are poor?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Windows 98 posted:

You know, no one is forcing you to work there. Or anywhere really. Quit tonight and stand up, be a man for a change.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Actually you're doing them a favor by helping them to not celebrate xgiving, national indigenous genocide day. You're welcome.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

NObodiesGeek posted:

Is your argument of the fact you have to work a crap shift in a retail store on a "holiday" is because other people are poor?

yes

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Back when I worked retail I would put in that I couldn't work on Black Friday ten months out. That's how everyone should do it and if your job says you can't take that time off then you should poo poo in the basin of the most used toilet and shut off the water to it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You have no excuse for going to a store for Black Friday sales when online retailers have already started their Black Friday poo poo today. I did some X-Mas shopping this morning before I left for Thanksgiving dinner, took me about ten seconds and I didn't have to wait in line or fight off smelly mouthbreathers on mobility scooters.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i hope everyone dies

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Windows 98 posted:

This guy knows whats up.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

What's the discount on shovels? :corrupt:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol was REI the only major company that said "gently caress poor people getting a deal"?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Customers control store policy. A backwards opinion.

Maybe in a better, full communism now world would the premise of the OP be valid

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Windows 98 posted:

Maybe if you'd gone to college instead of suckin' dicks you'd have a real job.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Maybe if retail workers understood that management, not the customer, is the enemy they would have better awareness about their economic situation :ussr:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

mdm posted:

Maybe if retail workers understood that management, not the customer, is the enemy they would have better awareness about their economic situation :ussr:

Retail workers are dumb enough to work retail, they're not smart enough to figure this out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

mdm posted:

Management is the enemy here as well. But they open the store because they know greedy fuckwads will trample each other to save 50 bucks on a TV.

Managment does it because they want to make a buck in any way possible. Both sides enable each other. But just because a store is open on Thanksgiving doesn't mean customers have to go in.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Retail Slave posted:

Management is the enemy here as well. But they open the store because they know greedy fuckwads will trample each other to save 50 bucks on a TV.

Managment does it because they want to make a buck in any way possible. Both sides enable each other. But just because a store is open on Thanksgiving doesn't mean customers have to go in.

No, both sides are not at fault. Managements have made the decisions to open their stores on Thanksgiving themselves, probably based on market research they created themselves, asking loaded questions about how cool it would be if they could shop ON Thanksgiving too, and are competing with each other. It's not greed between management and consumer, it's greed between competing managements. Consumers have no power but to play the game of which managements have set the parameters.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mdm posted:

No, both sides are not at fault. Managements have made the decisions to open their stores on Thanksgiving themselves, probably based on market research they created themselves, asking loaded questions about how cool it would be if they could shop ON Thanksgiving too, and are competing with each other. It's not greed between management and consumer, it's greed between competing managements. Consumers have no power but to play the game of which managements have set the parameters.

Consumers are the demand side of PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

Consumers are the demand side of PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

this guy gets it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Retail Slave posted:

Do you work at Best Buy, or what?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

mdm posted:

Nobody forces management to open the stores on thanksgiving. Likewise, they do not go into people's houses at gunpoint and order them to go into the store. Management opens because people will come, and people come because management opens. Both sides are at fault.

There are still PLENTY of good deals to be had on Friday and all throughout the season. It's not like you have to go shopping on Thanksgiving Day ONLY if you want to save some money.

Don't give me this "consumers have no choice" bullshit. There are more choices now than ever, especially with people doing a lot of shopping online.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
I worked retail on black friday once. I didn't like it very much, it was very busy and people were generally in a rushed and short-tempered mood.

I was 19 at the time. The first iPhone was a hot new item on holiday gift lists. After that, I decided to get better jobs. Now I shop online on black friday and "cyber" monday. One of my favorite thanksgiving traditions is watching grown women fight over $10 waffle makers on YouTube. Hope this story helps you OP.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm back. I survived.

Back tomorrow for more fun! Whee! :colbert:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I just went to Waljmart because I needed a few groceries and some sort of hoody/jacket. I knew how tomorrow was going to be but holy poo poo, tonight, on Thanksgiving, they were packed and had caution tape making lines to the back of the store. I found an open gas station and bought a 12 pack of beers instead.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This time last year, I was working in a gas station, hired on specifically for two reasons, they needed someone for graveyard shift on the holidays, and the old graveyard bitch was making fake money orders and short counting the cash register and did so until he was fired.

I didn't mind. The worst part was being too exhausted to visit family during the day.

People asked me if I hated working thanksgiving/black friday and of course I did, but frankly if you're an adult working that kind of job you care more about the hours and holiday pay than you do about the fact you're a corporation's bitch babysitting their assets and selling junk and gas to people who are by default better than you since they have the privilege of being free, and driving while you have to clean up after them and hope someone doesn't vomit in a trash can or poo poo all over the toilet.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
gently caress you i need celery

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

hemophilia posted:

This time last year, I was working in a gas station, hired on specifically for two reasons, they needed someone for graveyard shift on the holidays, and the old graveyard bitch was making fake money orders and short counting the cash register and did so until he was fired.

I didn't mind. The worst part was being too exhausted to visit family during the day.

People asked me if I hated working thanksgiving/black friday and of course I did, but frankly if you're an adult working that kind of job you care more about the hours and holiday pay than you do about the fact you're a corporation's bitch babysitting their assets and selling junk and gas to people who are by default better than you since they have the privilege of being free, and driving while you have to clean up after them and hope someone doesn't vomit in a trash can or poo poo all over the toilet.

Wow, sorry about your lot in in life. But good attitude! 😀😀😀😀😀👌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

hemophilia posted:

Does Walmart or your other average retailer even do holiday pay? I'm so glad I got out of that type of poo poo. I only work in manafacturing but I was off today and got paid for 8 hours at least, so I will not complain. Plus if I want some more hours I can go in on my weekend and work basically anytime I want. Today I woke up at 12pm, ate with my family, and went back to bed and slept until 6. Probably the best Thanksgiving I've had in a while.

• Locked thread