Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey Stretch, thanks for the thread. Interesting stuff to read. Can you tell me a little about your oyster mushrooms? What medium are you growing them on? Did you get a kit, or did you put everything together from scratch? Where did you get your supplies from? I'd like to start growing them on used coffee grounds, but am having trouble tracking down grow bags and either spawn or spore syringes. The one lady I found advertising them on Vancouver Island is (Surprise!) incredibly flaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for the write-up. I'll give a good look around at the supermarket and see if I can find oysters. All I can recall seeing are white button mushrooms. I suppose I could make up my own spore syringe if I can get my hands on fresh mushrooms to start out with.
I have been trying to find something like these in Canada. I figured I could fill the bag with coffee grounds, seal it up, give it a boil/steam, and it would be all sterile. Once cooled, give it a shot from the spore syringe, and let it colonize. Then once the mycelium has taken over, I've basically got the same thing as what's inside those kits you can order for $30. I think the process of adding your spawn to straw, and essentially starting the whole colonization process over again in a new medium is opening you up to contamination. I don't have access to a laboratory grade clean room, or anything like that. And I know mold spores basically get everywhere all the time, so I want to minimize the chance of any contaminants getting in there. I've been saving up coffee grounds, sticking them in the freezer just like you suggested.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 3, 2016

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Is there a general gardening and/or houseplant thread on SA, or is this as close as we get? Just getting into the growing season on the West coast now, and figured I'd post some photos / engage in some general discussion.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Stretch Marx,
Do you mind sharing what ideal light cycles to use for peppers? I've currently got sweet bell pepper bedding plants waiting under sun blaster cfls, near a south facing window. I hope to be able to start moving them outside in a couple weeks. How long should I have the lights on and off for each day? The plants are still small, so I have been pinching the flower buds off, hoping to get more leaves growing.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Stretch Marx posted:

No worries. It's less expensive that General Hydroponics which I honestly think is way overpriced now that I've used competitors. I'll definitely give a full run down when I can.

As far as I know, most tropical perennials like a lot of sun so I went with 16 on and 8 off and ran that through the whole thing. If your smaller plants are already putting out buds you might want to put the light on longer than you have been as plants tend to want to veg more than flower. Also check your nutrient mix. Higher nitrogen and phosphorous will induce vegging while higher phosphorous and potassium induce flowering more often. It's also why grass seed has so much nitrogen in it.
Thanks for the tips. I think the peppers are doing pretty good so far. They had little flower buds on them when I picked them up, and I have no idea what costco's supplier was feeding them. I have just been feeding with orchid fertilizer, since it is what I had on hand in higher nitrogen content. Don't have any phosphorus on its own, nor high N high P. I have balanced all purpose though. Not too concerned, apart from the leggy tomatoes. Here's a couple photos to make up for my late thanks
bedding plants

• Locked thread