Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Shine of Eidos-

The Legend of Heroes series spans approximately seven hundred different titles by Falcom Corporation, dating all the way back to 1989. Only a few games in the series have yet made it through localization hell to see a western release. Trails in the Sky First Chapter is an excellent, ridiculously charming JRPG, and Second Chapter still manages to improve on just about every facet.

This LP will mostly be screenshots, using the option to carry over a completed save from Trails FC. There will be immediate, huge, massive, unavoidable spoilers for FC, so if you're not familiar with the prequel then you should probably read this LP by Cake Attack first, or just go play it yourself. At any rate this will be a much better read if you already know the characters and give a poo poo about what happens to them.

Now let's begin.

The story so far
Bracer Notebook

Even five years ago, when I took him in, I knew we would someday reach this moment.
A lovely girl like you ain't allowed to be sad on a gorgeous day like this.
ESTELLE BRIGHT! It is time for...THE RECKONING!
Estelle. I'm counting on you.
No, BECAUSE we're bracers, we HAVE to look great! It's our duty!
Okay...I'll do my best today, too. I promise.
Cuteness is justice! And justice is poweeer!...Or something.
Surrender quietly...or we have a little hunting party.
And at last, comprehension dawns.
Let's return. To the land being swallowed by the creeping shadow...to Liberl.

Call it a gate on the trail that leads to the Goddess' treasure.

Well, we're doomed, then.
I do believe we are in some amount of peril, my good Mr. Crosner.
After all, he IS the kind of man who would be willing to leap off a moving airship...
You guys have your work cut out for you. Geared up and ready to go, I hope?
Let's see just how tough you guys have gotten...
Estelle...you've been through so much.
Could this be...fate? ♥
My goodness. What a tragedy in the making.
...Whatever. I'm gonna nap until it's over.
And all of my memories are ruined forever.
We're gonna go into this schoolhouse, punch the ghost in the face, and drag him back to the guild!
'Creepy mask dude'?

According to the professor, these phenomena are just the 'tip of a miracle.'

Heh! My graceful conversational skills finally have their time in the spotlight.
You better come back with some great stories...and bring Joshua back with you!
I heard that Zeiss has stairs...that MOVE. MOVING! STAIRS!
Well, that was a great way of getting welcomed to Zeiss.
Geez, is there anything this nutcase doesn't have up his sleeve?
And I shall serve as your final opponent.
I AM SINISTER, BE SUSPICIOUS OF MY EVIL WAYS.
Those darn dirty, calculating...
You really have become much more of a true bracer.
Now we just wait for an earthquake again.
Whoever is responsible doesn't have a lot of common sense.
You sure know how to keep a guy waitin'.
You can bet I'll help you, in any way I can.

Your freedom is coming soon, Colonel. I promise.

W-Well, that was certainly...a thing.
Oh, sorry, Estelle. I didn't mean to chew your head off.
'Ouroboros, please attack us.'
This is sorta nostalgic, in a 'that was an awesome adventure' kind of way.
Tita and Renne together...Why does that combination send a chill of doom down my spine?
Ergh...You.
Your soul has gained new steel since we met last, Estelle.
This mission kinda feels personal now.
I don't suppose you'd be up for swapping some stories, would you?
Well, that explains everything and leaves us with no questions. No, siree.
I am not about to lose to an eleven-year-old! Come on!
This is from Joshua, isn't it.
I have a feeling some serious stuff is goin' down.
Long live...Colonel Richard's dream!
I give it about even odds of either working or, uh, gettin' us all killed. Messily.
I must be really good at this! Either that, or you're just that dumb.
When she joins us...it will be entirely of her own volition.
Ummm...Estelle? Don't go crazy about this, okay?

Be careful. This won't be a normal fight.
Always remember you have friends you can rely on. And you'll always, always have me.

Haha, it's business as usual in Rolent.
It's always relaxing to get back home.
Did you guys...hear the sound of a bell just now?
☆△=`○☆シ~~!!
To think something so grave would occur here...
You'll find the answer you need if you take it one step at a time. I know you will.
Ah, my rose, but the weather casts a pall on men's hearts this day!
This is a taunt we'll have to answer.
Oh, goodness! Estelle, what is it? Did you have a bad dream?
Give my regards to your father. And to Joshua.
If you wish to oppose us, you will need everything you have.

Do we intend to turn this nation into nothing more than a smoking crater?

Casual heroism's just part of the job as a bracer, ma'am.
I was wondering what we were going to find here...
Beyond here it is a battle of wills. Now, overcome it with your love and courage!
The dangers of the Gospel...I feel like we've gotten a real hint of them.
In truth, it was nothing special. Simply a memory of my boyhood.
Agate Crosner. It has been some time, sir.
We're gonna have to be bastards about this.
It's not a 'something-or-other medal'! It's the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Winged Stallion!
You're not gonna give us a ton of those weird mushrooms again, are you?
Well, this is quite the turn of events!
As the one mercy I can offer you, I'll end this quickly.
You can very easily say that the blood of those people is on my hands.
I just want to say...thank you. So much. For always being my big brother...
I get to have my fun with surprises SOMETIMES, my princess.
Short of the truly unpredictable happening, this plan should succeed.
Great Aidios, who art in the sky. Please...guide us who stand upon this chaotic earth.
drat you...You will not escape!
And now we are prepared to enter the belly of the beast.
Thou hast my gratitude.
Those bracers are going to have some explaining to do.

She and I should never meet again. It's for the best.

Well, I guess the world ain't gonna end if we take a breather.
That's certainly a familiar face, isn't it?
Aaaand so we show up at just the right time.
The evening was just as lovely back then, too...
This is going to be the most dangerous thing we've ever done. By a lot.
This place seems more a house of horrors with every step we take.
I'm afraid this is check and mate.
Why don't we take the chance to have a nice chat?
This is darkness, Estelle Bright.
Looks like you're having a hard time. Allow me to assist.
Oooh, Joshua, you're such a stud. ♥
I finally reached you.
I promise I won't ever run from reality again.

The moment is upon us.

This is just the kind of time we all need to work together!
Have a care as you rush into danger like Poms, you hear?
Show me that radiance as it brings light to this shadowed land!
Six years and you still haven't changed at all.
Time for a good, old-fashioned deathmatch.
Looks like we've got our work cut out for us, huh?
You really haven't forgotten, have you, Scherazard?
Of all the people in the world, you, maybe you...can actually reach her.
I'm sorry I don't have any ice cream, but we'll still have lots of fun. I PROMISE.
Good evening, then, everyone. And welcome to the new age.

We're really in trouble now.

Right now we must focus on what CAN be done.
We might not be able to do a hell of a lot, but times like this are when bracers have to step up.
I hope you will continue to be the kingdom's hands, bracers.
Not that we can solve something like this just by waving our hands...
But, seriously, we can't just give up on them! Everyone's waiting!
Be careful, friends. I fear the danger has only just begun.
It is not an overstatement to say that the future of Liberl may rest on your shoulders.
Certainly there is much we do not know...
What we must focus on now is putting what we know to use for the future.
I feel like we might be able to offer a bracer-like solution.
Unfortunately, resolving the broader situation may still take time.
Action first, words later! We'll send these things packing!
As for my other goal...That, Dean Collins, would be the princess.
Gooooood afternoon! Someone order a rescue?
What part of this is work-related, exactly?
What're we even gonna do?!
You seemed quite eager for a fight. Are we still desirous of violence?
I am little more than a royal bastard.

What will you do when your wings of hope are ripped from your back?

Thanks, Creepy Disembodied Voice.
WHY did the residents abandon such a nice city?
I'm willing to bury the hatchet. And the whip. (Please, bury the whip.)
Stop being all mopey and get ready to kick some butt!
...Blorf.
It's time for the biggest fight of our lives.
Weissmann's game has only just begun.
I'll put everything I've perfected in the society into my fist...to bury Taito forever.
Hmmhmm...Your skill with a whip's certainly improved.
Loewe is really serious about stopping you this time.
If you feel the strength of your conviction is stronger than my own...Then let it speak for itself!
The trial is over. Now comes the execution.
drat, that's messed up.
It's time you realized just what it means to oppose me.
I've found what I was looking for, so it's time I went on home.
Well...so much for going back, I guess...
You have earned your rest.

This whole mess was just the beginning.

The Liberl News

Issue 1: [Rebuilding the Army] Post-Coup D'etat Reorganization Commences!
Issue 2: [Ruan Mayoral Election Special] The Contest Heats Up! Details Inside!
Issue 3: [Ruan Election - Clash of Candidates] A Riot on the Bridge?! Exclusive Photos Inside!
Issue 4: [Earthquakes Over] Central Factory Declares Zeiss Safe! Is the Danger Over?
Issue 5: [Ruan's New Mayor Decided!] The Election is Over! Who did the People Choose?
Issue 6: [The Intelligence Division Resurfaces!] Shocking Events in the Capital! Resolution Inside!
Issue 7: [Non-Aggression Pact Signed] Exclusive Details from inside the Erbe Royal Villa!
Special: [Ancient Dragon Appears!!] Legendary Beast Runs Rampage in the Bose region!
Issue 8: [Operation: Dragon Capture] The Liberl News is on the Mission! Full Details Inside!
Issue 9: [The Royal Army Reborn] The Royal Army Transforms! Organizational Updates Inside!
Issue 10: [The Kingdom Under Fire!] Info On the Abnormalities Occurring Across the Country!
Issue 11: [City Under Siege - Crimson Soldiers Invade!] Up-to-date Info on the Fighting Inside!

Gambler Jack

Chapter 1 - The Girl
Chapter 2 - The Offer
Chapter 3 - Challenge at High Noon
Chapter 4 - The Daughter
Chapter 5 - The Invitation
Chapter 6 - The King
Chapter 7 - The Banquet of Darkness
Chapter 8 - Haru
Chapter 9 - Nostalgia
Chapter 10 - The Match
Chapter 11 - The Decisive Moment
Chapter 12 - The Truth
Chapter 13 - The Sense
Chapter 14 - To Each their Own Wish

The Doll Knight

Chapter 1 - The Puppeteer's Apprentice
Chapter 2 - The Blue Knight
Chapter 3 - On the Road Home
Chapter 4 - A Righteous Display
Chapter 5 - The Girl With Sky Blue Eyes
Chapter 6 - The Melancholy of the Princess
Chapter 7 - Turbulent Days
Chapter 8 - What Makes the Darkness Shake
Chapter 9 - Afternoon in the Lesser Palace
Chapter 10 - A Faint Pain
Chapter 11 - The Devil's Attack
Chapter 12 - The Crimson Demon
Chapter 13 - Saying Goodbye
Chapter 14 - The Cost of Deceit
Chapter 15 - A Little Decision
Chapter 16 - The Duke's Private Manor
Chapter 17 - And So the Boy Becomes a Man
Chapter 18 - The Duel Between Red and Blue
Chapter 19 - Red Hot Roar
Chapter 20 - The Whereabouts of the Deathmatch
Chapter 21 - The Dollmaster's Purpose
Final Chapter - A Moment's Rest

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Disappearing Star-

The first two Trails in the Sky games focus on two young adventurers: Estelle and Joshua Bright. JRPGs are required to have either a spunky tomboy protagonist, or a dour emo-kid protagonist. Falcom made waves in the industry by forgoing the choice and including both.

First Chapter begins at the home Estelle shares with her father: Cassius Bright, legendary hero and all-around super guy of the Liberl Kingdom. Cassius returns home from a long business trip one night, carrying a badly-injured mysterious boy in his arms.

Fast forward five years or so, after the boy, Joshua, has accepted his place in the Bright household. He and Estelle are now getting ready to follow in Cassius's footsteps as junior members of the Bracer Guild. The Guild is kind of like a rotary club, only with swords and artillery, and Cassius is one of its most honored members.

While Estelle and Joshua finish up their basic training, Cassius is called away from home on some kind of urgent guild business and promptly vanishes without trace. In the absence of better options, his daughter and adopted son resolve to continue their training while looking for any sign of his whereabouts. They march their way across the length and breadth of the kingdom, slaying monsters, righting wrongs, and meeting all manner of strange, rad people. They also face down the oncoming freight train of puberty, while literally everybody they know teases them nonstop about how they're not actually flesh & blood.

Now that's kind of sketchy, but Estelle and Joshua's relationship is really just the boilerplate childhood-friends spiel except they're also flatmates. That part of the story works...probably about as well as that sort of thing ever could work, partly because it's all just as weird and awkward for the two of them, and mostly because Estelle and Joshua are just genuinely awesome together.

Anyway, in the midst of all that, they uncover a plot to depose the Queen of Liberl and seize the kingdom by force. At its heart: Colonel Richard, commander of the Royal Army Intelligence Division...

Captain Amalthea, his second-in-command...

and Lieutenant Lorence, mercenary leader of the I.D.'s special ops troops.

Richard's plan, in a nutshell:

1) Smear the Royal Guards so that the Intelligence Division can take over Grancel Castle and hold Queen Alicia prisoner. Force her to name her idiot nephew, Duke Dunan, heir to the throne. Pack off the queen's granddaughter, Princess Klaudia, to an arranged marriage with some foreign rando.
2) Manipulate King Dunan to remake Liberl as a militaristic state. Keep the rest of the Royal Army high command in line through blackmail, and threats against their families.
3) Meanwhile, excavate the castle's robot-infested catacombs and search for a legendary ancient relic: the Aureole.
4) ...
5) Glory and prosperity for Liberl.

Long story short, Estelle, Joshua, and their fellow bracers kick IntDiv rear end up and down the kingdom, finally storming the castle, confronting Richard, and foiling all his schemes. They then learn that Richard himself was deceived--tricked by Lieutenant Lorence into entering the sealed ruins and activating the ancient devices inside. The Aureole was never there, and the colonel's last-ditch attempts to summon it only wake a giant mechanical monster. Realizing he's been played, Richard tries to help stop the thing, but it still comes close to killing everybody before Cassius Bright shows up out of nowhere to wreck it at the very last second.

Colonel Richard is now in custody and just about everyone thinks the kingdom is safe. Unfortunately they've forgotten all about Joshua's mysterious past. Just when the happily-ever-after is in sight, the real villain turns up to greet Joshua while Estelle is off somewhere, and completely shits on everything.

And that's where we begin our story.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 12, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Royal Castle-

Aaaaahhhhh, that felt good. I haven't slept like that since...
Wha...?
Oh, right. We stayed in the castle last night. Joshua and I were out enjoying the celebrations, then...we had some ice cream on the way home...Then we all went to the dinner party...And then...

-Silence-

...N-N-N-No...
This is...This is Joshua's room. But I was staying in the same room as Schera. Was...Was all that a dream?

Estelle notices something in her pocket:

Joshua's prized harmonica.

JOSHUAAAAAA!!!

Really, warn me the next time you aren't going to come back for the evening. I was getting a bit worried! Althoooough, it looks to me like you and Joshua managed to talk about QUITE a bi--
Schera! Where's Joshua?!
What? Where's...?
I'm looking for Joshua! Schera, have you seen him?! This is important!
I...haven't seen him yet this morning, no...But weren't you tired yesterday and stayed over in his room? He wasn't there when you woke up?
Wh-Wha...?! I-I...What? Who did you hear that from?
Um, from Cassius, but why does that--
From Dad?!
O-Okay! Where's Dad, then?!
Well, last I saw, he was heading up toward the Garden Terrace, but now wh--
The Garden Terrace! Okaythanksbye!

What on earth has gotten into her...?

Schera was raised in a traveling circus. Among other things, she got used to telling fortunes. When in doubt, read some cards.

There are only two places to go on the castle roof, and I still get lost. Every time. :saddowns:

D-Dad...

I know. Joshua...is gone.

-Town Where The Lights Went Out-

Wh...What...? How do you know about that?!
After getting back from the meeting last night, I found you asleep in one of our beds. He left a note on the nightstand, as well. Between the two...I have a fairly good idea of what must have happened.
Then, then...! What the heck are you just standing around here for?! We need to find Joshua fast befo--
Stop, Estelle.
Wha...?
If he has truly gone to ground, even I have little hope of actually finding him. His skills are almost superhuman. When we fought five years ago, I was nearly killed...by an eleven-year-old.
...Okay. I only asked this once before, a long time ago, but...Who...Who IS Joshua, exactly? Why did you bring him into our home?
The Society of Ouroboros. Your answer begins there, with an organization few even know exists. They are an organization that seeks to manipulate the world from the shadows, led by a leader called the 'Grandmaster.' Joshua was in their employ as an assassin when I first met him. I brought him home because it was his only chance to live free of them.
Ouroboros...
Even the Bracer Guild knows very little about them, and only top bracers even learn of their existence. Given that the response of the public to the idea of Ouroboros' existence would be either panic or skepticism, we don't acknowledge them publicly. But...they exist. There is no question of that. And they've had plans in motion for years. The recent coup is just one example of their machinations.
Wait! You mean...Lieutenant Lorence!? He was--
Yes. We have absolutely no doubt he was another senior agent from the society. Of course, we doubt he was acting as a lone wolf. He must have had support to accomplish what he did.
Support like Joshua, for example.
Wait. What...? What the heck do you mean?!
He stated as much in his note. Over the past five years, Joshua has been passing guild secrets to Ouroboros. He claims that he was under the influence of some sort of mental control and didn't even realize what he was doing himself.
No. No...
No, he wouldn't...
Ouroboros' cunning is matched only by their malevolence. Stay away from them, Estelle. They're far too dangerous.
O-Okay...I don't quite get all of this, but I just want to make sure...make sure I'm hearing this right. You're saying we should abandon Joshua.
Well...
Dad! ANSWER the question!
I always knew this day would come. Even five years ago, when I took him in, I knew we would someday reach this moment. He swore something to me, that first day he actually accepted he could be part of our home.
What did he...?
The moment he became a burden or a threat to us...The moment the society contacted him or pursued him in any fashion...He would disappear from our lives. 'Like a shadow dispelled by the sun,' he told me once.
What...? What's...that supposed to--
Estelle...I understand how you feel. He was part of our family. It isn't easy to just...say goodbye so suddenly.
But there are some lines which a man can't bring himself to cross. Ever.
So, please, try to understand what Jo--
You knew.
Hmm?
You knew that Joshua might leave us someday and you never said anything to me or did anything about it...You knew...and you didn't...
I'm...sorry, Este--
I HATE YOU!

Schera. I'm sorry you had to see that.
No, it's...
Why do I get the feeling you're biting back a lecture?
I stumbled into your life from a disaster of my own. You saved me, just as you did Joshua. I understand what both you and Joshua must be thinking.
Indeed...
If I may make a single comment, though. From a woman's perspective?
Of course.
At this point, you and Joshua are, essentially, the two most wretchedly miserable sons of dogs I have EVER had the displeasure of knowing.

No...
Just...No way...Joshua wouldn't...wouldn't run away...
Patrol Guard: Whoa, you okay, miss? What're you doing out without an umbrella?

Home...? Home...
Yeah...Yeah, you're right. I should head home. Joshua must've headed home. He...probably went right back home...
Patrol Guard: Huh?
Thanks, Mr. Guard! I'll head home right away!

Patrol Guard: Swear I've seen her somewhere before...Wait, isn't that the girl who helped stop the coup?!

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 2, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

quote:

My time with you was the happiest...and the most painful...I've ever known. Just as the brightest light casts the darkest shadow...If you stayed with me, you'd find out just how disgusting my true nature is...Sometimes, I think it would have been better if we'd never met...

He wishes he'd never met me. He said...He SAID that...I...I...
Man's Voice: Nooo, no, no!
Huh?

Feel the gentle kiss of the wind on your cheek!
A lovely girl like you ain't allowed to be sad on a gorgeous day like this. It'd sadden Aidios, too, y'know.
Uhmmm...
H-Hey, waidasec! I'm not dangerous! Well, okay, maybe I come ACROSS as--
A-Anyway! You just caught my eye the moment you came aboard, y'see.
You seemed a little broken up over something, so I thought to myself, 'Heeey! I'll put a smile on her face with my OVERPOWERING charm.'
Ummmm...
I...don't quite get what you mean, but thanks...I guess?
To be honest, this is what we usually call, ah, 'putting the moves on.'
So how 'bout it? Want to head down to the lower observation deck? You can get drinks down there, too! I'd be happy to treat a new friend. What d'you say?
Well, um, I appreciate the offer, but...I'm not...not really in the mood...
I'm sorry...can you just--
Hmmm...I think I see how it is.
All right, then, time to knock it off with the come-ons and put on the work face, eh? After all, it's my job to guide lost lambs like you.
Your job...?
Heh, darn right! Look at this!

quote:

The previously-insensitive jerk held forth a medallion with a chalice engraved in the center.
Eh? That's...Isn't that the seal of the Septian Church?
Bingo. This is the grail emblem. Lemme introduce myself properly. I'm Kevin Graham. Looks and, uh, moves aside, I really AM a priest of the Septian Church.
Huh, wow.
Wait, for real, or is this another joke?
Aww, why d'you have to doubt me still? I'm a serious, devoted priest, y'know! I never miss the Trinary Prayers, and I always have my Testaments right...at...
...hand? Uh...
I...think I left 'em on my seat. Sorry!
Yeah, that really helps your case, there.
Heh heh...You really are kind of a weirdo, Father.
AH-HA! Laughter! Victory is mine! That's more like it! Cute girls like you deserve to smile.
Anyway, if you want, I'll give you an ear in my official, priestly capacity. No pick-up lines, I promise. Aidios smite me dead otherwise!
Well...okay...But...where do I even...?
I...
...*sniff*...
W-Wait, hold on now...I don't know what I did, but I'm sorry anyway!
I...It's myyyyy...Muh-My fau-fau-fauauuuuuu...auuuu-huuuuuu...
Waaaaa-haaauuu-haaauuuuh!
Great Goddess...

-Dancing With The Wind-

My shoulder is yours. Come on...cry it all out. I'm here...
Waaaaa-haaauuu-haaauuuuh! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

I'm sorry. That was pathetic of me.
Heeey, no big, seriously. My shoulder's always got room for a girl to cry on.
So how 'bout it? Feel a bit better now?
Yeah...A little. I'm Estelle. Estelle Bright. I'm a member of the Bracer Guild.
Esteeeelle, eh? Dang, even your name is cute!
...Er, hang on, you said the Bracer Guild?
Don't let on that you're holding, Kevin. You can still escape.
Yeah, I'm a newly-minted senior bracer.
Might be hard to believe after seeing me break down like that, though.
No, not at all. Now that you mention it, you do kinda look loaded for bear. You a martial artist of some kind?
I guess you could call me that. I focus on staff combat.
Though you said you're a priest, Kevin? I do appreciate the shoulder, but I gotta admit, you don't look much like any priest I know. Or would trust, usually.
Ahaaa, ka-zing. Through the chest, madam!
Well, I'll admit that us wandering priests are sheep of a different color.
Wandering what now?
Well, okay. You know how there's villages 'n farms 'n whatnot without churches, right? My order heads to such places at set times each year and offers church services and teaches Sunday school. Think of it as 'home delivery churchening'! Or something like that.
Huh. I never knew there were priests like that, but it does make a lot of sense.
And unlike church-bound priests, there's a lot of us who are more carefree about dress code. The church just kind of lets us do our thing, so...
Uh, well, fair enough I guess!
So, Kevin, I guess you're off to some village somewhere?
Nah, not immediately. I actually only just arrived in Liberl, like, today. The High Seat dispatched me here since, apparently, there's not enough wandering priests around right now!
Oh, really? Okay, then.
The High Seat...They mentioned that in Sunday School, but I don't remember where...
She's totally testing his story, in the most amateurish way possible.
It's in the Holy City of Arteria, in the middle of the continent.
Anyway, I figured I'd do a bit of sightseein' before I went and reported my assignment to the bishop of Grancel Cathedral. And, well, here I am!
Note that this flight departed from Grancel.
Uh...That seems just a bit irresponsible to me...
You really are kind of a half-baked priest, aren't you?
Heeey, it's cool. I'm checking out the places I'll be wandering to in advance. Besides, I got to meet a troubled--and lovely!--young woman.
That's actually something Cassius and Schera talk a lot about in FC--not meeting women, but saying that it's good for bracers to see the places they'll be protecting with their own eyes. That's a big part of the reason Estelle and Joshua first set out around the kingdom.
This is surely a blessing from Aidios, praise be to Her name!
Yeah, smooth recovery, there.
But...really, thank you, either way. Letting it all out helped to clear my head a bit, I think. Seriously, I'm being a ninny. I should trust Joshua. He won't do anything stupid.
Huh? Who?
Oh, uh, Joshua is my b--my, um, brother. Sort of, in a sense. He disappeared suddenly, which has been a bit of a shock...
'Disappeared,' huh...? You mean he ran away from home.
Ahhh, no, no, no. He just went back home ahead of the rest of us. I mean, he's family. He wouldn't just run off on his own...
I...see.
Really, though, what was I THINKING? Worst mistake ever, telling him how I felt. Especially at THAT moment. Next time I see him, I'll have to make up some kinda excuse about that...
Hey. Estelle.
Huh?
Well...
Well, like I was saying! I'm basically just a tourist without a plan or a clue right now, so! Howsabout I land with you in Rolent and make sure you get home safely?
Whaaa...?!

-Provincial City of Rolent-

Gotta admit, though...it feels a bit like a backwater farming village with an airship dock dropped on it.
Well, excuse the heck out of us for living in the boonies.
At least we're big enough to have our own church, Mr. Totally-Pretending-To-Be-A-Holy-Man.
A small hometown is nothing to be ashamed of, Estelle.
Oh! I'd better go pay my respects over there once we're done. So, Estelle! Which of these fine boonie-shacks is yours?
Uh, setting the 'boonie-shacks' bit aside...you really don't need to escort me home, you know. It's just outside town, and crying fits aside, I really AM a bracer. I can take care of myself.
Nah, nah, don't worry about it. It's a duty of us real, manly men to make sure a lady gets home safely.
'Sides! I'm looking forward to meeting this boyfriend of yours.
B-B-Boyfriend isn't the term I...think I'd use...maybe...
But, fair enough, I guess! I'll fix you some tea or something when we get there.
And I get free tea out of the deal! Victory again! Well, lead the way.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 2, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:allears:

All aboard the Bright train, destination beating some sense in Joshua's head and then breaking a lot of staves on the villain's head. Along the way, some rocky patches but a metric ton of cheerfulness and energy from dear Estelle.
Mind the step, we're understandably in a rocky patch at the moment.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
If you thought First Chapter was good... oh boy oh boy oh boy.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
I'm so sad that we'll probably never see the Third in the US, because if SC is any indication, Kevin is THE BEST, but he doesn't get as much of the spotlight in this game compared to the Third where he becomes the protagonist.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Neat. In case anyone was wondering I wasn't going to LP SC since I don't really follow LP anymore, so cheers to Really Pants for taking the obligation away from me.

BTW are you using a script dump? If not I got mine for FC from forums poster Admiral H Curtiss so maybe ask him

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AncientSpark posted:

I'm so sad that we'll probably never see the Third in the US, because if SC is any indication, Kevin is THE BEST, but he doesn't get as much of the spotlight in this game compared to the Third where he becomes the protagonist.

You have to believe.

Cake Attack posted:

BTW are you using a script dump? If not I got mine for FC from forums poster Admiral H Curtiss so maybe ask him

I need screenshots of who's speaking and what faces everyone makes, so I haven't looked into scripts yet; but thanks for the heads up.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 27, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Back once again in lovely Rolent. It's big enough to have its own church, you know!

-Provincial City of Rolent-

Before we go chasing after Joshua, let's take a moment and catch up with all of Estelle's wonderful neighbors. They must have missed her so.

Alan: Ooh! Chestnut hair in twintails, brown eyes that are almost red like flame...Healthy proportions, but...lacking in a certain feminine charm. I'll have to give that one 82 points!
...Please explain to me, in detail, exactly how I am 82 points. I want justification for the beatings.
Alan: ...Well, now that I look, it's you, Estelle! Hey, been a while.
Ugh...You're the same as always, Alan.
Alan: All the traffic from the queen's birthday celebrations has finally settled down. Rolent is back to its usual self.

Pat: You're back, you're back! Welcome back!
Hi, Pat! Yeah...I'm back.
Pat: Luke heard about what you guys did and has really started practicing with his sword. He keeps saying that he'll absolutely become stronger than you, Estelle.

Luke: ESTELLE!! Estelle's back!
Hey, Luke! You sound like you're doing okay.
Luke: Heheh. Heheheheheheheheh! Meeting me here shall be your end. Now, I shall show you the results of my DAYS of training! ESTELLE BRIGHT! It is time for...THE RECKONING!
Time for the...What?
Luke: Our DUEL, duuuuh! Just gonna tell you now, I'm the bestest fighter in all of Rolent now! So c'mon! Let's DUEL!
Oh...Uh, yeah, we'll do that later.
Luke: ...Huh? What the crap! What kinda bracer backs down from a totally awesome challenge like that? H-Hey...are you okay, Estelle? You seem kinda...I dunno...
What, no, I'm the same as always! I just need to go do something.
Luke: Estelle...where's...?
Say what, Luke?
Luke: Nah...Nothin'.

Elissa: ESTELLE?!
Hi, Elissa. It's been a while, huh?
Elissa: It's been a while? COME ON! You haven't been back since you went to Bose!
Well, uh, a lot kinda happened...
Anyway, sorry if I worried you.
Elissa: Oh, I heard all about it! You became a full bracer AND stopped Alan Richard, huh? You're so cool! Oh, yeah! Meanwhile, I'm finally allowed full run of the kitchen.
Whoa, really?! That's great!
Don't patronize people, Estelle.
Elissa: Heehee! Come by and eat sometime! I'll treat you to my very super best!
You bet your butt I will!
Elissa: Now, with all THAT outta the way, let's talk about the REAL topic.
...The who wha?
Elissa: Oh, don't play coy with me, Miss Bracer! (Y'know...I'm talking about the total stud behind you. What happened to Joshua?)
(Uh...)
(I-It's not like that!!)
(Father Graham was worried about me being alone, so he came...I mean, he, or, uh...)
Elissa: (Ooooooh, so he was worried about you being alone, you saaaaaay?)
Gnaaaaaaaaah, it's not LIKE THAT!
I'm here to go catch up to Joshua at home. JOSH-U-A. He went a little ahead of us.
Elissa: Did he...? Oh, well, fiiiiiine. That's enough for one day. Unfortunately I'm still on the clock, so come by again. Make sure you bring Joshua, too. I bet I'll hear a lot more interesting stuff if you do that!
I'm telling you, you have it all wrong...
(Um, huh?)
Elissa: Oh, yeah, Estelle...
Uh, was there something else?
Elissa: Tio really wants to see you, y'know! The whole family does, really.
You're not allowed to go out west yet, so the Perzels will have to wait.

Densel: Oh, welcome indeed! If it isn't Estelle Bright!
Hi, Densel. You sure seem full of energy.
Densel: Darn right, I am! No one'd want to eat food cooked by some lazy slob, right?
Haha. I guess not.
Densel: Oh, yeah, we've got a new dish. It's the 'Three-Eyed Soup.' Give it a try and 'see' what you think! Heh.

Tabitha: ...Estelle?! My goodness! It's been so long!
Haha! Yeah, it really has.
Tabitha: You surprised me, sweetie. When did you return to Rolent?
I practically just got off the airship.
Tabitha: Is that so? Well, I'm sure Elissa will be over the moon to see you again. Do come by with your friends again.
You don't need to tell me twice!
Tabitha: I'll see you soon, then! My family's doing well as usual. If you have the time, do say hello to them all.

Hi, Claire. Sorry I haven't seen you in a while.
Claire: ...HEY! Who're YOU?!
YOUNG LADY THAT IS EXTREMELY BAD LANGUAGE--wait never mind
Uh, who, me?
Claire: Wait! Could it be...Is he a mystery man, here to tear Estelle and Joshua apart? You aren't allowed to have an exciting love triangle where I can't cover it!
Uhhhhhh. Claire?
Claire: Oh, I know, I'm sure he'll fight Joshua TO THE DEATH! But the flames of friendship will ignite as Mr. Green-Hair breathes his last...
O-kaaay, the, uh, kids around here are somethin' else...
Claire: Estelle, where's Joshua? Or is that really your new man, and you ALREADY threw Joshua to the lions?
. . .
(Er, missy! Ix-naaaay!)

CWO Ashton: I wasn't aware you'd be returning to Rolent.
Hi, Mr. Ashton! I, like, literally just got back.
CWO Ashton: I see! Well, I'm sure Luke will be very happy to see you've returned. Luke's been dedicating himself heavily to learning the way of the sword recently. I had wondered what sparked the sudden interest, but he doesn't want to tell me. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to spend time with my son, since I'm out of the house so much. Haha...It is a little embarrassing, to be honest. The Royal Army is going to be undergoing substantial organizational reform. We're all going to be very busy in the near future...

Yes! Hello!
Mine Chief Gaton: Thanks to you, our mining of a new vein's going just fine. After what happened, we closed up that hole the monsters came out of with some explosives.
Um, well, glad to hear it ended well...
Mine Chief Gaton: Wasn't really any other way. It was worth it, though. Ol' Malga's running just fine now. Today's a day to spend with family. Feels like the right thing to do since I've been stuffed up in that mine all the time lately.

Anya: And we're gonna go on a picnic to the Perzel farm!

Whoops, wrong turn.

Just a moment ago, actually.
Fate: I heard from Aina. You've become a full bracer, right? Sounds like that trip of yours was worthwhile!
Ah, haha...Yeah, pretty...pretty much.
Fate: From what I heard, it sounds like Cassius has rejoined the Royal Army, too. The coup really surprised us all, but in the end, maybe it'll help the kingdom come closer together. I'm just glad it seems like we'll be able to entrust a bright future to our children.

Hey, Yuni! You been okay?
Yuni: Uh-huh, I'm okay! Estelle, did you see Luke? He's been talkin' about you a lot.
He has? Huh...

Elger: Estelle! It IS you!
Hi, Elger. I've missed you.
Elger: YOU, young lady, have been all over the damned news. Heard you're a full bracer now, among other things. Really. You Brights just surprise me again and again. I heard that old dog Cassius is well, too. Though...Wait a moment. Where's Joshua?
Ah, he came home a bit ahead of us. I was just on my way back home myself.
Elger: Did he, now? He came back and didn't even drop by to say hello? Well, that's just heartless.
Joshua didn't stop by to say hi?
That silly...Don't worry. I'll tell him to come visit when I see him.
Elger: Yes, please do.
Elger: Estelle...
Hm? What is it?
Elger: No...it's nothing.

Hiya, Stella.
Stella: It's really you...
Huh?
Stella: It's really my little Estelle! Oh, Aidios. It feels like I haven't seen you in years.
I kinda think you're blowing it out of proportion.
Stella: We talked about you every day. You went off to travel without saying anything to me...
Yeah...Sorry, Stella.
Sorry, Stella :smith: You need to leave your drat room if you want to talk to people, jeez.
Stella: Oh, it's all right. I know you were in a hurry. More importantly, come on! Tell me all about your journey. I'd love to see Joshua, too. Is he with you?
Um...
Ah, excuse me...
Stella: Pardon, you're...?
Nice to meetcha. I'm Kevin Graham, wandering priest. Sorry to interrupt the reunion, but Estelle's in a bit of a hurry.
Stella: O-Oh...Really? I'm sorry. I just got so excited...
No, don't worry about it. I'll make sure to come by again!
Stella: Yes, I'll make your favorite dish, Estelle! Bring Joshua next time, too!

Rinon: Well, I'll be! It's Estelle! It's been ages! When did you get back?
Hi, Rinon. I literally just got back now. You look well.
Rinon: You bet I am! Oh, yeah! We should be getting the latest Stregas in soon!
Whoa, really?
Yeah, those limited edition ones to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Strega Corporation.
Rinon: Oh, sir, you know a lot.
Hey, what can I say? A man's gotta love him some kicks.
I mean, check it! I'm wearing some right now.
Rinon: Oh, those are...
I...saw those in a magazine. They're an international-only model, not sold in Liberl...
Bingo!
I wanted some, but I couldn't find a way to import them.
Hang on, Estelle, you're big into sneakers too?
Uh, well...
Cool! Glad we have a shared interest!
Yes, indeed, this too is the guiding hand of She Above!
Hang on. Sneakers? On a priest of the church? Is that seriously okay?
Rinon: Wait, this guy's a priest?
D'aww, come on, I'm outnumbered here!
Rinon: In other news, my mother's been out scouring the countryside high and low to find me a wife. *sigh* I wish she'd just let it be, already!

Melders: Why, hello, Estelle! I've missed you brightening up my shop. It's been a while, ain't it?
Ahaha. You look well, Mr. Melders.
Melders: Heh, 'course I'm well. I'm not about to lose to you kids just yet. Ah, but if you're looking for Freddy, he's off in Zeiss.
Zeiss? What's he doing there?
Melders: The Central Factory is giving some kind of training session on tactical orbments, of all things.
Tactical orbments? Huh.
Melders: But, boy, I've been ten kinds of busy lately! I don't care if the boy's learning to perform miracles. He needs to get back here!

What's wrong? I thought you were going to be in Grancel for a while.
Ha ha, well, Joshua came home early, so I'm trying to catch up with him.
He did...?
Sir, are you from the Septian Church?
That's right. Kevin Graham's the name.
(I'm not sure what happened, but I've never seen Estelle this out of sorts.)
(I know it's a lot to ask, but could I ask you to stay with her until she's calmed down?)
(Trust me, I'm on top of it.)
Thank you, Father.
Huh...?

Ridge: I heard from Aina. Congrats on your promotion to senior bracer!
Haha, thanks, Ridge.
Ridge: Where're Schera and Joshua, though?
Schera's still in Grancel. Joshua came back home a little ahead of us.
Ridge: Weird. All right, well, can't wait to work together again.

Verne: On top of everything I heard in the news, I understand you won the Martial Arts Competition as well. You and Joshua truly are the pride of Rolent.
Awww, c'mon, Verne. Stop flattering me.
Verne: No, no, I do mean that. You inspire us all.
(Huh...She really is something.)

Father Divine: And you are...?
Pleasure to meetcha, Father. I'm Kevin Graham, wandering priest.
Father Divine: Ah, I did hear that someone from the High Seat would be stationed in Grancel soon. Would that be you?
Yup, guilty as charged! Now, it's, uh, kinda a long story as to why I'm out here...
Father Divine: ...(Father Kevin.)
(Yeah?)
Father Divine: (Please...protect Estelle, in every way you can.)
(...!)
(Yeah. Don't worry.)
Father Divine: Estelle, welcome home. Oh, Aidios, She Who Dwells Above. Give your guidance to these wandering lambs.

Lita: Yes, Estelle, hello! So you've returned to Rolent? Sadly, I'm afraid Mayor Klaus is in Grancel at the moment. The mistress is also in Grancel, at least for now. Mmm...The mistress wanted to see you very badly, too, Estelle. It's a shame.

Well, that was all very nice.

Now why do I feel like I'm forgetting somebody?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 7, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh boy :allears:

Picked up the first game due to the LP of it, can't wait to see how this one builds on the first!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I found the LP of the first game shortly before it wrapped up, and basically the reason I've been following the LP subforum closely is so that I could catch this one at the beginning. I'm really looking forward to this.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, the Rev Graham seems like he'll make for a good party member. And its a pity that Estelle doesn't know that Alba/Wiseman is to blame for the current situation. I can't wait for her to break those glass of his, he deserves that. Break his bones! Spoiler for those who didn't read the lp of the first game. Now go and read that, then come back.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 27, 2015

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

So looking forward to this; I've heard nothing but good things about SC.

On a more technical note OP, you might want to consider moving future updates to the test poster. As I have been told multiple times, this game has a LOT of :words:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Awesome, was hoping this would get LP'd. Was planning to start a new run through both games once I had the time, but it'll be nice to have this to read as well.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I love how half the people look at Estelle and immediatly understand it's Joshua problems. Although Aina and Father Divine probably got a call with some details from Cassius already.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh right! Joshua!

-The Way They Walk In Liberl-

The Bright residence is just outside of Rolent proper.

-Setting Off-

I hope Joshua really is home, because otherwise that upstairs window has been open for like six months. Keep an eye out for attic bears, you two.

It's got a...how to put this...a warm, homey feel to it.
Heh heh. Yeah, I know. This place holds a lot of memories. For me, for Dad...And for Joshua, too.
So I can see! And you think Joshua's going to be just inside, right?
Yeah, I'm sure he is. Come on in! I'll introduce you to him. He'll like you, I think.

Well...let's get this over with. Aidios, give her strength...

You're back, right?
...That's weird. I'm sure he must be here...
Ah! Maybe he's in Dad's study.

-Silence-

It's possible he's in my room looking for something, right?
...Did I leave some underwear or something laying around?

Uh...My room's clean, at least! Though Joshua probably wouldn't care about a few panties here and there...
So...

*knock, knock*

Joshua...I'm coming in, okay?

-Decision to Leave-

Of course...Makes sense...
I'm such an idiot...

Or, hey, maybe we missed him? He came back, then headed out to town for a bit, and we passed by each other without realizing?
...No.
*sigh*
You've accepted it, then.
I...
Really...I knew, somewhere, deep down. I knew he'd really left. There was no way he'd come back home for any longer than a few moments.
Right...
But this room was it. It was my last hope. I have no idea where else he could be. At all. So...this is the end. I'll never see Joshua again. Ever...
Ain't it a bit early to be giving up THAT easily?
Huh?
In the end, the only one who knows whether we're destined to meet someone again, here or beyond, is Aidios Herself. Just because YOU think fate's against you is no reason to give up. The question then, Estelle, is this: what do you think you can do about it?
But, but...I don't even have any leads to follow...
No leads at all? You sure? I don't know your boyfriend, of course, but...Nobody I know would disappear without SOME reason.
What do you...?
Was there anything weird in how he talked or acted towards you recently? Or maybe something strange had been happening with him lately? Something only you, who've been with him so long, would pick up on?
Hey!

-Silence-

Oh yeah, of course! Joshua started acting weird RIGHT after I got back to that spot where we were resting! What the...? Why is my head fuzzy...? Why can't I remember who I met along the way? I DID meet someone!
Hey, you okay? You went white as a sheet there.
Yeah...I think so...

Joshua went off to stop the 'foul magician.'
If the person I met then was that 'magician'...and that person was the one actually behind the coup and Colonel Richard's memory trouble...then that magician must still be planning something else in Liberl!
But that means, if I can stop him, as a bracer...Maybe...Just maybe...
Man's Voice: So, you've realized what's going on.

-Where The Bonds Are-

Why are you here?
Sorry, Estelle. When we touched down, I took the liberty of contacting the guild's Grancel branch on the sly.
Oh...
Estelle, honey, you scared the pants off of us, running away like that! We were at the Grancel guildhouse trying to find you when the call came in.
We barely managed to catch a departing freightliner out here.
Ah...I'm sorry.
Just as Scherazard said. I'm glad you're safe, Estelle.
Now then, Father Kevin, was it? I appreciate your contacting us. You have my deepest thanks for letting us know where Estelle was.
Naaah, don't worry about it. My fault for butting into family matters, really.
U-Um...Dad, I...
No, Estelle. The one who needs to apologize is me.
It was nothing more than my ego talking when I told you to stay away from Ouroboros. I was simply forcing my opinion, as a man and as your father, onto you.
Scherazard made the point, ah...quite clear on our trip over.
Schera...
Hm-hm! Don't worry, Estelle, I'm completely behind you on this.
In all honesty, I thought I'd prepared for this day for a long while, but...losing him is worse than I could have even imagined. Thus, I...if nothing else, I wanted to keep you from walking the path of thorns which now lies before us. I couldn't bear the thought of you sharing Lena's fate--of you losing your life to protect someone else.
But, that is an insult. Not just to you, but to your mother as well. I understand now, as terrifying as the possibility seems to me.
Dad...
I will be too busy with the work of rebuilding the military to act on my own. I fear that is exactly why they will act now. This time, I really won't be able to help you, Estelle. Are you sure this is what you want?
...Yes. I know I've still got a lot to learn, but I don't see any other way.
So I'll do it. I'll put a stop to whatever horrible thing this 'Ouroboros' has planned...and I'll bring Joshua back home!
I see.
Then there's nothing more to say. As a bracer, and as an independent woman...Do as you see fit.
Dad...

I...I...
Well, no. There is one more thing I must say.
Huh?

Estelle. I'm counting on you. Bring back Joshua. Bring back my drat fool of a son. Please.
Ah...
Right. Piece of cake. I'll do it. I'll make sure we can all live in this house again.
I WILL bring Joshua back--no matter what stands in my way!

Video: Intro

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 2, 2016

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
There's nothing quite like dragging out the inevitable realization. At least Estelle didn't have a complete breakdown this time.

On a completely separate note, I just now reached the point of the game where Estelle drops the title of this thread, and it is even better in context. I love these games so much :allears:

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Oh boy, I've been waiting for a Second Chapter LP for, well, however long it's been since the FC LP finished. LP Archive says it wrapped up at the end of 2013, so about two years, then. I'll definitely be following this one closely!

Also...

AncientSpark posted:

That's what I thought about SC, but here it is. So here's hoping!

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Oh great, he messed with Estelle's memory as well. How does he do that so easily? Well, that won't save him in the end.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

rear end in a top hat :argh:

grandalt posted:

Oh great, he messed with Estelle's memory as well. How does he do that so easily? Well, that won't save him in the end.

This game is amazing in the details. When I saw that picture the first time, I went from puzzlement to understanding to "you're loving dead rear end in a top hat" in about 2 seconds. That villain does his best to poo poo on everything, and we all love hate him for it.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
Unfortunately, the intro video is set private.

I enjoyed the LP of the first game, so I'm pretty interested in this one already.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feldherren posted:

Unfortunately, the intro video is set private.

Whoops. It should be unlisted now; please let me know if it works.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

quote:

Two months later...
Midwest Zemuria, Leman State
Le Locle Canyon, Bracer Training Grounds

Video: Estelle vs. Anelace

-Welcome to Le Locle-

Haha...No, I'm okay. I blocked it...uh, mostly...
*phew* You sure got me good with that one, though...
Guess I can't rely on that one move as my 'win button' anymore, huh?
Heheh...It was just luck, really.
Besides, I gotta give back a LITTLE of what I've been taking!
You've really been throwing yourself into this, Estelle.
If you've got enough energy left for smack talk, let's do one more set! C'mon!
You're on!
Woman's Voice: Well, you two certainly have a lot of energy this morning!

Morning, Phyllis!
Phyllis: Good morning, Estelle, Anelace. I WAS going to call you two to breakfast, but...I suppose you'd rather beat the stuffing out of each other instead of getting stuffed, hmm?
Oh, breakfast! Right!
What do you think, Anelace? Beat stuffing, or get stuffing?
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. That IS a choice, isn't it?
We'd be wasting a perfectly good breakfast if we didn't eat, so...
Phyllis, you wouldn't happen to know where Kurt is, would you?
Phyllis: Kurt said he had to prepare some things for today's training, so he went on ahead. He made it sound like he had some pretty hard things lined up for you two today...
Oh, great...
H-He really said that?
Phyllis: Mm-hmm! And he told me to make sure you both ate a good breakfast. Come in and eat, you two. Something tells me you'll be wanting it later!

I hope it isn't a bad idea to eat this much just before practice, though...
Yeah, Phyllis' cooking is extra-super yummy!
Plus, Kurt's got something big planned, so I doubt we'll get a lunch break, y'know?
Yeah, good point. We need to keep our strength up to train, after all.
Man, though...It's already been three weeks since I came here. It feels like it's passed by in the blink of an eye.
Heehee! Well, you really threw yourself into it, Estelle. Training with you has done me a lot of good, too!
Aww, thanks, Anelace. That means a lot.
I gotta admit, though...while I'm glad Kurt agreed to train us...I really didn't expect for you to be here training with me!
Anelace and Kurt are two of four bracers who helped stop Colonel Richard's coup in FC, but never joined the party.
Wellll...I've only been a 'senior' bracer for, like, half a year. I'm really still a newbie, myself, to be honest.
So when Schera told me the whole deal with you and the training and stuff, I thought, hey! Perfect! Kurt and the others had mentioned this place before, and I'd wanted to come anyway, so when I heard you were coming, well...
Oh, that makes sense.
Y'know, thinking about it, the guild owning something like this makes me realize just how big the guild is. When Dad first told me about it, I didn't realize how big a thing it'd be.

To be honest, however...you are no match for the society, especially against their deadliest agents. You simply lack the skills.
So I have a suggestion. Would you like to go to Le Locle?
Huh? 'Le Locle'?
It's a training ground run by the Bracer Guild near the international headquarters in the Leman State. Its base is set within a canyon that contains a number of difficult training facilities, covering skills of all kinds.
Ruins investigation techniques, ranger, tracking and survival skills, counter-terrorist operations...It is, bar none, the finest place on the continent for teaching practical bracer skills.
Wow, I never knew there was a place like that.
But, it's in Leman, isn't it? So it's outside the country?
I don't...think I can leave Liberl right now...
Well, it's in a 'foreign country,' yes, but it's only one day by airship. The training period lasts for...about a month, I believe?
If anything new comes up while you're there, we'll send for you right away. How does that sound?
Well...
I recommend it, but the decision is yours. You needn't answer today. Take some time to think it over.
No, I've decided.
I'll take the training.
Oh, my...
Excellent. You sound rather determined. I get the feeling you've been thinking about something like this for some time.
Yeah, sorta.
To be honest, looking back, I've just been relying on Joshua this whole time. Whenever something happened, Joshua would always guide me to the answer. But now...now I have to rely on my own judgment.
So, yes. I want to retrain myself at this Le Locle place.
Oh, Estelle...
I see.
Then we'll file your application to attend tomorrow. Rolent's guild branch will have everything we need for it.
Okay, then. Tomorrow.
Say, Estelle. Once we're done with that, let's hop back over to the department store in Grancel for a minute, hm?
The department store? Why?
Well, I haven't gotten you your 'senior bracer present' yet. And you, I think, are going to need some new 'on the job' clothes...

Speaking of your folks, those clothes were a present from Schera, right?
You're so lucky! I wish Schera would buy ME clothes! Especially cute stuff like that!
Y-Yeah, they were...I mean, they're tough and all, and they're nice and light and easy to move around in, but...I don't know if colors this...girly...are really my thing...
What, are you kidding? You look great! Way better than that old red outfit of yours. Remember: we may be bracers, but we're girls, too. Fashion is important!
No, BECAUSE we're bracers, we HAVE to look great! It's our duty!
Uhhhh...Anelace?
AH! I've got it! Estelle, a hair ribbon!
You'd look great with one! How about it? I should have a spare somewhere!
I-I'll pass, thanks.
In fact, I, uh, couldn't help but notice...You're kind of a...fan of cute things, aren't you, Anelace?
Well, YEAH! Cuteness is justice! It's the law!
I mean, okay, I totally get the appeal of cool, older women like Schera...But there's nothing--NOT A THING!--that can beat a young girl who's dressed up all cute!
And whenever I see a teddy bear or a stuffed animal, I just wanna hug it to death and...
Ah...hahaha...(If she ever met Tita, she'd probably faint...)
Hmmm, but, y'know...You've changed a lot since I first met you.
Huh?
Well, when we first met way back when, you had this real 'I'm a naive innocent newbie' air about you. And, you still have that air of newbieness around you, but now it seems like you've got some...steel in your soul, I guess.
It's pretty incredible, if you ask me.
Awww, A-Anelace, cut it out with the flattery!
Haha! Don't get so embarrassed. I meant it.
Besides, you make me want to work harder. Can't let a young upstart like you take my 'cutest and best bracer ever' title!
R-Really...?
Anyway, shouldn't we be getting to practice soon?
Yeah, it's about time, I guess, huh? Let's go back to our rooms and get ready.
See you in a bit!

...I'm so glad to have her with me, though.
All right. Gotta stop by my room and get my stuff together!

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 2, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Things timeskips are good for:
-Training montages
-passage of time
-GETTING A BIGGER COLLAR POP THAT poo poo UP

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-Double posted-

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

-GETTING A BIGGER COLLAR POP THAT poo poo UP

Popped collars are way too girly for me :blush:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Still trying to finish up FC before starting into my copy of SC, but hopefully I should catch up to the LP at some point. Looking forward to seeing how things have changed since the end of FC.

One question: is it worth it to grind Estelle up to level 40 in FC for the save file transfer, or do the extra few levels not matter that much?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Sandman posted:

One question: is it worth it to grind Estelle up to level 40 in FC for the save file transfer, or do the extra few levels not matter that much?

If you're already at 38 or so and really close to the end of FC, I wouldn't bother. Estelle might be a little weak for the prologue, but XP scales so she'll bounce back quick.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

The Sandman posted:

It makes a difference for maybe up to the end of chapter 1; I ended chapter 1 with Estelle being at level 40-ish with no carry over data. Trails gives each character less experience depending on their level compared to the enemy level, so if Estelle starts the game at level 40, she barely gains any experience for the first part of the game anyway. Besides, no matter what you do, Estelle will either be your highest or second highest level character by the end of the game anyway because she's a fixed party member.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 28, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

anelace wants to hug cute things, but cannot hug herself despite being the cutest

a frightful paradox

Omobono posted:

this also does a good job of explaining/tying into the faceless nickname without actually spelling it out directly

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 28, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oh please Cake, there are at least two characters cuter than Anelace.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Omobono posted:

This game is amazing in the details. When I saw that picture the first time, I went from puzzlement to understanding to "you're loving dead rear end in a top hat" in about 2 seconds. That villain does his best to poo poo on everything, and we all love hate him for it.

I was seriously creeped out at how he deleted himself from her memory. It was all the creepier because we saw that scene in FC and he didn't appear to do anything at the time.

The choice of "Town where the lights went out" was a really fantastic choice to play over the SC title card. It was also really great when the music cut out on her return home, and then how she stopped running and walked to Joshua's room. Little details.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

anelace wants to hug cute things, but cannot hug herself despite being the cutest

a frightful paradox

Anelace is physically prevented from self-hugs by the second law of thermodynamics

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Welcome to Le Locle-

Phyllis: Welllll? Satisfied?
Haha, yup! I'm stuffed! It was so good I, uh, couldn't help but eat a little too much.
Phyllis: Mhmhm! Well, that's good. ♥ Today will be a big lesson that will wrap up your training here, apparently. Put your best foot forward, all right?
I will!
Phyllis: I'm rooting for you, Estelle. I'll have something delicious waiting for you when you get back! ♥

Robert: You and Anelace were really going at it. I could hear you from in here! My workshop's still not open, but I'll be ready before you have to head out. We can do orbment tuning or whatever you need then.
This is awfully close to the kitchen. Is that sanitary? How much septium dust have Estelle and Anelace ingested over the past month?

Huh, weird.

Nah, I was just about to head to my room.
Ah, okay. You better get ready fast, then. See you in a bit, Estelle!
Yeah, later!
Let's get ready quick and meet on the first floor. Kurt's preeetty strict about being on time, so he'll get super ticked if we're late!

Get your equipment ready and head to the first floor. We'll begin today's training soon.

It'll be just like real combat, so I'll have no idea what to expect...

quote:

Estelle took the harmonica out of her bag.

quote:

Packed away Joshua's Harmonica.
Equipped Break Rod.
Equipped Enhanced Leather.
Equipped Reinforced Boots.
Packed away 1000 mira.

Unfortunately almost all of the 500,000 mira and ancient artifacts that Estelle accumulated in FC were confiscated by the crown for various property & psychological damages.
All right, that's everything. Next stop, the entrance!

Robert: I think he has something he wants to give you.

Phyllis: Kurt and Anelace have been waiting for a while now.

We'll be heading to the Balstar Channel, which is west of the lodge.
The Balstar Channel...Kind of a strange name, but it's another training facility, right?
Yes, that's exactly it. It's an old aqueduct from the Middle Ages that the guild repurposed. Several of its defense mechanisms are still operable, plus quite a few monsters have made it their nest.
Traps and monsters, huh? Yep, that sounds like practice, 'Kurt-style' to me. So let's head off to this aqua thingy!
Hold a moment. Before we leave...
I want you two to take a look at these.

quote:

Kurt produced a pair of strangely configured orbments.

What...? This is...
It looks like a combat orbment, but it's all weird.
Correct. This is a new model combat orbment. You know, of course, of the Epstein Foundation which develops combat orbments, among many other orbal technologies. This is a new kind of combat orbment developed by the foundation and supplied to the guild mere weeks ago. As you can see, they have an additional slot compared to previous orbments, for a total of seven. As a result, this should allow for the utilization of new, more powerful combat arts.
Whoa...That's incredible!
Heck yeah, it is! These'll make us awesome!
So don't be stingy, Kurt, make with the goodies!
Hm-hm. Yes, if you wish, the guild will provide you each with one for free.
However...
There is, as you may expect, a catch. The circuit architecture within these orbments is radically different from your current combat orbments. As a result, your old quartz crystals are not compatible with these new orbments whatsoever. You will need to obtain new, revised quartz.
What?! But that'd mean...
That all the quartz we've made up till now are worthless?!
I'm afraid so, yes. It will be a hassle, but you'll need to rebuild your quartz collection from scratch if you use these.
Oh, no waaaay...
Sheesh...This IS a hard choice.
Could we keep using our current orbments?
You could, but I don't recommend it.
These new orbments are superior models in every way. Their maximum 'EP' potential is higher, and the high-end new quartz they can accept have impressive capabilities. In the long term, they will grant you increased physical abilities...
And most importantly, the arts they can construct are far beyond what your current orbments are capable of.
Estelle. You recall our...'good friend,' Lieutenant Lorence, I assume?
What?!

Don't think I could forget him even if I wanted to...
Schera told me about a certain bizarre art he used against you. A terrifying attack that lashed out at your entire team and clouded your minds...As it happens, this orbment can manifest an art exactly like that with the correct quartz combination. It's been dubbed 'Silver Thorn.'
'Silver Thorn'...
W-Wait, hang on a sec here...Wouldn't that mean that red uniform bozo had one of these new model orbments?! TWO MONTHS ago?!
A scary thought, but it's very possible. The implications of which are...
...Well. For now, I must know. Will you accept the new orbments?
Hmmmmm...Man, this is so tough. With a bit of work, it'd make us awesome, but right now it'd be a nasty drop in power...
Or they could take both, and use their old ones until they scrape together some good quartz for the new ones...no?
I...I'd like the new model, Kurt.
Bwuh?
Lorence...or whatever his name is...beat us away like a...a tiger swatting at a playful cub. I know a new orbment won't make me innately stronger, but...
If this could give me even the tiniest edge...I'd like to master it. So, please...
Estelle...
Yeah...You're right!
Like I said, Kurt! Fork over the goodies!
Very well. Go ahead and take them.

quote:

Estelle and Anelace received new model combat orbments.
Also, take these.

quote:

Estelle and Anelace received various kinds of sepith.
That should be enough to synthesize a basic selection of quartz. Robert's stationed at the workshop there in the corner, so he'll be able to help you prepare some quartz. Incidentally, your Bracer Notebook should also cover all of the new quartz and arts available. It might not be a bad idea to skim through it before talking to him.
Sure, we'll do that.
In addition, today's practice is likely to be, ah, long duration, shall we say. I would recommend bringing some food, just in case.
Ah, right, food!
We just talk to Phyllis about that, right?
Correct. Talk to Robert and Phyllis for anything you might need before we begin practice.
Ah, Estelle, before I forget. These are for you.

quote:

Received Glove Gear.
Received Celestial Balm.
Received Emergency Puppet.
Received Luck quartz.
This grab bag is your first reward for kicking rear end in FC. The Glove Gear is a nice accessory that increases the wearer's physical attack and defense by 10. The Celestial Balm will revive and fully heal a downed party member. The Emergency Puppet is an accessory that will prevent one KO, and then break. Hopefully I won't need either of those any time soon. We'll take a closer look at the quartz in a bit.

Hey, these are...
Oooh, shiny!
And it all looks really high quality, too!
Yes, they're all quite valuable. The quartz, naturally, is for your new orbment. Think of them as a reward from the guild for your successes as a junior bracer.
Heehee, thanks!
Now, then. I shall wait for you outside the lodge. Come see me once you're ready.
Okay, Estelle! Let's go get ready!
Right! Let's talk to Phyllis and Robert.

quote:

You may now access your Senior Bracer Notebook. This notebook contains information about your jobs, related events, orbment info, etc. To read your Bracer Notebook, open the Items tab from the Camp menu, and under the 'Book' category, select 'Bracer Notebook.'

Phyllis: Here, then, let me show you how to prepare some nice, clean water for yourselves out in the field.

quote:

Received Recipe Book.
Learned Nature's Bounty recipe.

[To-Go/HP500/Cures K.O.]
A refreshing soda infused with extract of scented grasses.
That's some seriously clean water.

Phyllis: Oh, don't forget the ingredients, dears.

quote:

Received assortment of ingredients.
So, like, we can just throw this stuff in a pot to cook up a meal, right?
Phyllis: Well, yes, what you have will cover most basic cooking, but...You can only get some ingredients by defeating monsters. Gathering all the ingredients for those is a bit dangerous, needless to say.
Yeah, tell me about it. There're some weird recipes out there...
Man. Kind of takes 'those who don't work, don't eat' to a whole new level, huh?
Phyllis: Your Bracer Notebook will have a more detailed explanation of cooking. Make sure to look it over! Well, good luck with your training!
Thanks, Phyllis!
We'll try not to burn anything down when we cook stuff!

quote:

You can learn new recipes by eating meals at bars, or by eating 'To-Go' food items you purchase or find. Once you learn a recipe, you can make the food item any time so long as you have the ingredients by opening your Recipe Book. To open your Recipe Book, select the 'Items' tab from the Camp menu, and then select the 'Recipe Book' under the 'Book' category.

Phyllis: If it gets dangerous, make sure you have a meal and rest a bit. I know you're big, tough bracers and it's good to push yourselves, but overdoing it's no good either.

I'm going to spend almost all of that 1,000 mira on a copy of the Liberl News, three or four of every ingredient Phyllis has for sale, and an Herb Sandwich.

quote:

[To-Go/HP700/Cures Poison]
A fresh herb-scented sandwich. Perfect for a light meal.
We won't see any more money for a little while, but we shouldn't need it either. You can only get money by selling stuff or completing jobs for the Bracer Guild. Monsters don't carry it, and nobody will ever let you smash all their pots or otherwise rob them. Messed up, right?

Robert: Did you already go over the list of new quartz in your notebooks? The fundamentals aren't much different, but some things have had their attributes adjusted in the switch, so give it a look. Now, before we get started, how about a quick overview? If you need a refresher on anything about how your orbments work, ask away!

[Orbments] Orbments are energy control devices that manifest a variety of effects via crystalline circuits made of septium, commonly called 'quartz.' When most bracers think of an 'orbment,' they think of combat orbments that improve your physical abilities and let you use 'Orbal Arts.' Combat orbments are specially tuned to each individual user, so no two will be exactly alike. This mostly boils down to elemental limitations on certain slots, and the arrangement of the orbment's 'lines.' Taking a person's strengths into account is crucial in preparing a strong orbment for them.

[Orbal Arts] Orbal Arts are a kind of...'magic,' I guess you'd say, that can be activated through a combat orbment's power system. 'Orbal Arts' is a bit of a mouthful, so most people refer to 'em just as 'arts.' To use arts--or get any use out of your orbment at all!--you first need to synthesize quartz at a factory. Setting quartz circuits in your orbment will allow you to utilize arts. The arts you can use, therefore, depend on the quartz you set in your orbment. For example, you want to fling around water arts? Use water-element quartz to focus your orbment in that direction!

[Quartz] Quartz themselves are circuits made from sepith fragments which are synthesized and engraved accordingly. They have a hell of a lot of effects when put into an orbment. They can make you stronger, faster, all kinds of things. Quartz are basically useless without an orbment's drive mechanism, and that's not the only limitation they've got. You see, some slots only allow certain kinds of quartz to be set in them, limited by element. Particularly potent quartz will also only function if placed into upgraded orbment slots.

[Sepith] Sepith are small fragments of septium, commonly held by monsters. There are seven different 'colors' or elements of sepith: Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, Time, Space, and Mirage. Just about any store will take sepith off your hands for some money, but...You can also take them to a factory to have them made into quartz or orbment slot upgrades!

[Upgrading Slots] Oh, right. One of the new tricks with the new model combat orbments is slot upgrading. A lot of the higher-end quartz for these new things are stupidly potent, but...there's a catch. That kind of circuitry is going to require adjustments and upgrades to your slots before you can use it properly. Good news is, the upgrades will also increase the maximum 'EP' charge your orbment can hold. You'll need sepith to do it, but it's worth it, trust me!

Robert: Okay, you've listened to me ramble on long enough. Let's make some quartz and get you over to Kurt! You want my advice? You should make sure you can use some healing arts, at the very least. Do you know what kind of quartz are required for healing arts? Your Bracer Notebook will have a full list of arts and their requirements. Make sure to check it. The art in question is called 'Tear.' If you check the Orbal Arts section of your notebook, it will tell you the elemental level you need for it. When you want to make quartz, select 'Quartz' under 'Upgrade/Exchange.'

Kurt provides enough sepith for one of everything except Impede 1 and EP Cut 1. At this scrub tier, most quartz have only minuscule passive benefits. Far more important are the arts they unlock for you.

We're almost ready to go.

You have to have a new outfit, or the mid-season upgrades won't work.

By default, you begin Trails SC at level 35. If you're carrying over a completed save from FC, you can start as high as 40.

Stats-wise, both of the girls are well balanced with no outstanding strengths or weaknesses. Anelace is a bit tougher, but Estelle has more EP and better attack reach.

Estelle also gets a much better orbment, but that doesn't really matter yet.

The Luck quartz has good elemental values, and also helps Estelle reap the remains of her enemies.

Some quartz, like Attack and Defense, will partially counteract each other's passive benefits, and shouldn't be used on the same character unless you really want them to have certain arts.

Very good. Now we can set off.
Finally...
So we're heading for that sewer-like thingy in the western part of the canyon, right?
Indeed, the Balstar Channel.
As I said before, the monsters within are dangerous. Are you two prepared?

Very well! Let's get going. Follow me, you two.
Okay!
Right behind you, boss!

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 22, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I liked that they make something of a plot point out of lorence's unique OP magic from FC

if you look at the notebook silver thorn is one of SC's highest tier spells which makes clear just what weight class our dreamy silver haired friend is competing in

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ugh, those lines is so loving awful. Estelle's 4/4 spread is the bare minimum to function as a caster, while Anelace's (and those with similar setups) 3/3/2/2 is loving horrible, making her orbments basically a passive equipment slot.
Still not the worst setup in the game (at least another dedicated meelee has what I'd consider a worse one).

Is there ANY reason in-universe for the 3 or 4 lines orbments, considering they're pretty much useless compared to the single and double line ones?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

I liked that they make something of a plot point out of lorence's unique OP magic from FC

if you look at the notebook silver thorn is one of SC's highest tier spells which makes clear just what weight class our dreamy silver haired friend is competing in

I definitely made a little :getin: face when I first heard that it's a usable art now.

Omobono posted:

Is there ANY reason in-universe for the 3 or 4 lines orbments, considering they're pretty much useless compared to the single and double line ones?

Every tactical orbment is tuned to its owner :downs: So don't ever lift any weights, or you'll get a crappy orbment.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 28, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Bracer Notebook is still as handy as ever.

Apart from keeping tabs on your guild jobs, it also lists just about everything you need to know to play the game.

Most importantly, it lists the elemental value requirements for every orbal art...

...although a few of the listed values are wrong...:argh:

...and the effects and elemental values of common quartz are listed as well.

...hang on.

Wait just a god drat second.

I know for a fact that EP Cut 3 used to reduce the cost of arts by 50%. Quartz prices have been jacked up, and quality has gone down the tubes! This is criminal! What else are Kurt and Big Orbment not telling us?! :tinfoil:

The Bracer Notebook also contains all the other basics of gameplay, in detail.

Long lines of orbment slots provide the most EP and the strongest possible arts, but short lines are cheaper to upgrade.

You only have the basic 2-person Chain to start out with. Characters get access to triple and full Chains as they advance.

Generally this only applies to Earth, Water, Fire, and Wind. Time, Space, and Mirage arts will affect almost everything equally.

omg spoilers

Out of all the stats, SPD is most vital.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 30, 2016

• Locked thread