Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No, it's always Ruan. If you choose Schera, Agate and Anelace go to Bose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Agate specializes in berserking, cleaving things in twain, and :biotruths:

Oh no, we've made a huge mistake

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Really Pants posted:

No, it's always Ruan. If you choose Schera, Agate and Anelace go to Bose.

Which is a big reason (among others) that I feel so far that Agate is the more natural early choice.

I initially picked Schera, but then switched to Agate once I realized that you had to go to Ruan first.

And rage is definitely broken. Wow, I'm loving it. Considering I thought Agate was "meh" in FC, this is a welcome change of pace.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, Rage is definitely broken for early game. Later, there's more competition for broken physical shenanigans, especially because Rage's HP loss starts to become a real burden when your healing spells can't up with 70% HP loss later in the game, but the early game is especially vulnerable to free Final Breaks everywhere.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm not sure whether I should applaud your super-frequent update schedule, or worry that you're going to burn out. As it stands, you're probably going to finish the game before I ever have the chance to buy and play it.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I already spent a good portion of last month on this game, even having to reload from an earlier chapter cause I screwed up. This game does not give you any breaks on getting 100% completion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I'm not sure whether I should applaud your super-frequent update schedule, or worry that you're going to burn out. As it stands, you're probably going to finish the game before I ever have the chance to buy and play it.

This is still only about forty-five minutes of actual game, so far.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This is going to be a long LP, isn't it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mraagvpeine posted:

We've barely stepped into Chapter 1 of 9.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

There is a lot of text in this game.

A lot

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Super Jay Mann posted:

There is a lot of text in this game.

A lot

War and Peace levels of A Lot. That's not hyperbole, the script for the three games matches the aforementioned book.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Omobono posted:

War and Peace levels of A Lot. That's not hyperbole, the script for the three games matches the aforementioned book.
Eh? Someone discussing a Russian translation claimed that the FC script alone surpasses War and Peace.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

comparisons to novels are somewhat misleading because the main game, all sidequests and all dialogue variations within make up about a third of the script. like its still wordy but the average player is only going to read like a quarter of the script length

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AncientSpark posted:

Yeah, Rage is definitely broken for early game. Later, there's more competition for broken physical shenanigans, especially because Rage's HP loss starts to become a real burden when your healing spells can't up with 70% HP loss later in the game, but the early game is especially vulnerable to free Final Breaks everywhere.

Eh, I never found the HP loss to be burdensome. Plenty of food can keep pace in the mid-game, and late you have Tear-All access, which doesn't give a god drat how much 70% is.

There's a reason my team compositions were basically fixed even once you got some flexibility.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is a couple updates late, but was I the only one kind of disappointed in the villain dialogue? I mean I know this is a fantasy jrpg and all, but that scene read like a bingo card of stupid villain exposition cliches. We've got the little kid inexplicably put in charge of far more experienced mercenaries, we've got ham-handed oblique references to personal agendas left vague for no reason other than to keep the player in the dark, we've got a big "as you know" listing of character names that is completely out of place in the conversation, and on and on. I don't really know what I was expecting, but I felt like the protagonists are at least written like human beings, and this was jarringly bad.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

I like the Enforcers, but I can see how they would seriously grate on anyone who doesn't like hammy villain boilerplates.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 3, 2015

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Eh, I never found the HP loss to be burdensome. Plenty of food can keep pace in the mid-game, and late you have Tear-All access, which doesn't give a god drat how much 70% is.

There's a reason my team compositions were basically fixed even once you got some flexibility.

Oh yeah, it's still manageable. Of course, it also depends on how you play (I'm kind of scrubby with food and just used La Tearal for pretty much everything). Just saying that it's slightly less good and that there IS competition.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

The Enforcers are all masters of their art and have achieved a state of TRUE ANIME.

They're a bit of a tonal shift compared to almost everyone else (almost) but I ended up pretty fond of them.

Campanella's the best though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Royal Capital of Grancel-

Estelle...you'd just gotten back, too. I'm sorry we couldn't spend more time together.
Me too...
It sounds like Aina and Rolent really need some help too, though. Be sure to say hi to everyone for me!
You got it. Estelle...I'm sure you're fine, but...Don't fret yourself to loose ends, all right?
Schera...
My tarot tells me that the bond between you and Joshua has not been severed...yet.
So...don't worry. Believe in your connection to him. Follow it and your trail will be clear. I know it.
Yeah...Thanks, Schera. I feel a lot braver now.
I...
Come on now, don't make that face.
You're a full bracer, remember? Be proud of yourself.
...Right, I am.
Heehee! So...Estelle. Guess this is goodbye for now, then.
Anelace...Thanks for going with me on my training. Schera asked you to come along with me, right?
Erm...
Ack! I've been found out like a pie-thief in the night!
Schera said having someone who didn't know Joshua too well around would help you sort out your feelings. So yeah, she asked me.
Haha...I thought so.
What th--Don't tell her EVERYTHING!
Hey, what's wrong with being up-front at this point, right?
But...the real truth is, it wasn't just that. I did want to train myself, too. And I really do think I learned a lot by training with you, Estelle.
So I've gotta say it, too: thank YOU.
Anelace...
And, and, um...(Okay, deep breaths...) I know you might think I'm weird for saying this, but...
Huh?
I, um, like to think we're already friends, but...well...I'd like it if you and me, Estelle, if we became something...more.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!
Wha...? Are you saying what I think you're saying?!
No! Don't try to stop me, Schera! I'm serious! I'm absolutely sure about this!
'Serious'...? Oh...Oh, my...
(Really? Right here? In public? You have GOT to be freaking kiddin' me...)
I, well, I know I'm a couple years older than you, Estelle...But we've totally spent about the same amount of time in the guild.
And you know what? Age doesn't matter when it comes to something like this! So...what do you think?
U-Um! Well! Um...!
I mean, um, I'm really happy, and I think my heart is racing out of my chest, but this is kind of surprising, to say the least! Besides, there's, um, Joshua, and there's kind of some issues on a couple fronts, or more than a couple...or rather, I don't, uh...
Joshua? What does he have to do with this? And what problems would there be on 'a couple fronts' if we became rivals?
... ... ...Rivals?
Yeah, yeah! We're about the same age, about equal in skill level...I thought it'd help us both try to reach even higher, but...
You...don't actually like the idea, do you...
A-hahahaha...haaaaaa...That's what you meant...Ooookay...
*sigh* As unpredictable as always, I see. Not quite the punch line I was expecting...
Punch line?
Haha...Well, if that's what you meant...
All right, then!
I, Estelle Bright, hereby recognize you as my rival, Anelace Elfead! Consider the gauntlet THROWN! In your face, even!
Sweet!
All right, step one: a race to see which of us can reach Agate and Schera's level first! ♪
Bring it, sword-brain! I'll leave you eating my bracer-point dust!
Oh, boy...I do believe we are in some amount of peril, my good Mr. Crosner.
Heh, seriously. Nothin' scarier than a couple kids charging straight ahead.

*BING BONG*

quote:

Woman's Voice: This is the final boarding call for the Cecilia, bound for Rolent. All passengers, please embark immediately.
That's us, I'm afraid.

We'll contact you through the guild should we find anything. Keep in touch with us as well.
Will do.
See you, Anelace, Schera! Stay safe!
Yeah! Good luck, Estelle!

Should we finish our check-in and wait for the next Ruan-bound flight?
Yeah, the ship bound for Ruan oughtta get here soon enough. Sure you don't want to do some shopping or something, though? Been a month.
Hmmm. I wouldn't mind hitting the department store, but...Are you sure you wouldn't mind, Agate?
Ah, I'm easy, really. Guys just charge into things without any planning, you see. Girls're the ones who actually bother preparing and whatnot. I say choose what you think is important.
Haha...Okay.
Well...to be honest, I can get what I need in Ruan.
Let's just get our tickets.
Works for me. Tickets should be sold in the lobby of the airship company building.
Let's go!

And I thought there were LIMITS to how unpleasant a single person could be.

Tell me, why does the Republic even care about the engine deal? I did not think Liberl's internal politics were your plaything.
It's a matter of national--no, international--security, of course. It's only been a decade since Erebonia attempted to annex this innocent little country.
It is absolutely unacceptable for a half-barbaric nation like yours to lay their hands on such cutting-edge technology. The Republic is a long-standing friend of Liberl! We won't stand back and allow something that will threaten its citizens.
Long-standing friend?! Some friends you are! You didn't send them so much as a soldier in the war! You're just pretending to be allies when it suits you, while standing back and doing nothing when it doesn't!
What did you just--

We do not wish to bother the other customers.
But, Mueller! We...
Ambassador Cochrane, may I ask that you back down as well? This is a...debate...that could be handled just as well through the embassies.
...Very well. I can't say I like hearing that from a member of the Imperial military.
Still, far better than hearing it from that pompous--and glutinous--member of the 'nobility,' I suppose.
WHAT DID YOU J--
Well, gentlemen, if you'll pardon me.

This is why commoners with no history or tradition are--
My lord...
...Hrmph, yes, yes.
I shall return to the embassy. I trust I can leave the other matter in your hands?
As you will, my lord.

Hm...? Ah...Estelle, yes?
It's been some time--since your, ah, 'help' during the festival, I believe.
Haha! I'm glad you remember.
That was one heck of an argument just now, though. Who were those two, and why were they going at each other like a cat and dog?
The man was the ambassador of the Erebonian Empire to Liberl, Lord Davil Crainagh. The woman would be the ambassador from the Republic of Calvard, Elsa Cochrane. They head up their respective embassies here in the capital.
Oh, I see.
Awful drat childish for a couple of ambassadors. Can those two really do their jobs?
Agate...
I wish I could disagree, honestly.
To say that the Empire and the Republic have always been on 'bad' terms would be an understatement at the best of times. And on top of that, those two are like oil and water on a personal level.
Well...No, the fact that they break into an argument every time they meet shows how similar they are, in some ways.
In the deepest vaults of each embassy, classified at the very highest levels: two diaries, their pages filled with nothing but heart doodles, variations on the phrase 'Lady Elsa Crainagh,' and just once, 'Mr. Davil Cochrane.'
Haha...I guess I can see that.
Though, maybe it's 'cause I walked into the middle of the conversation, but I couldn't understand, like, half of that. Something about engine provision and Liberl's internal politics...?
Er, sorry, I guess I shouldn't ask.
No, I don't mind. It's not really a secret, anyway.
The engine in question is actually the latest from your own Central Factory. Once the design is finalized, sample units are to be provided by your airship company to the Empire and the Republic both. But...We...er, bumped into Ambassador Cochrane when we came by to finalize the details of the deal.
Oh, I get it.
Why the big argument about an engine, though?
An orbalship's engine is what determines what a ship can really do. Since you can install 'em in military ships, you usually don't just hand 'em out like candy.
Now I get it...
It'd be a real mess if that engine let the Imperial Army get all powered up...
Er, well, I mean!
Estelle has been back for a matter of hours, and she's already sparking international incidents again.
Not at all. It's true.
Normally, sharing such advanced technology with other countries so freely would be unthinkable, but this is a part of your queen's plan. Rather than monopolizing a technological edge, she wishes to provide it to other countries to promote multinational peace. At least, that's her plan as I understand it.
I see...She did mention something like that a while ago, now that I think about it.
Hmm, it's pretty incredible that the queen is willing to try something like that. Like it's not just an ideal, you know? It's something that could really change how people negotiate...
Yes, you have reason to be proud of your queen, I'd say.
...My apologies, but this conversation has gone on longer than I'd intended. You're here for air tickets, yes? I'll pardon myself here.
Oh, yeah.
Say, Mueller. About Olivier...Has he gone back to Erebonia already?
What, you've not heard?
I haven't really had a chance to see him since the queen's birthday celebrations, actually. I felt kinda bad about that.
Oh, don't worry. That halfwit is continuing to while away his days here in Liberl. He said he was going to visit Elmo's springs, if I remember right.
Ah, okay then.
Haha...Yeah, that sounds like Olivier, all right.
Should he ever bother returning to the embassy like a responsible citizen, unlikely as that is, I'll let him know you were asking after him. I'll make sure he at least contacts you before he returns to the Empire.
Thanks, Mueller.
Hardly. I should thank you for keeping that lunatic company. Now, if you'll excuse me.

Who is he?
Mueller's the resident military officer for the Erebonian embassy, I think. I've only ever met him a few times myself.
Hrm...Well built and he made sure to not leave himself open at any point in our 'chat.' A well-trained dog of the military...and hiding some sharp fangs, to boot.
There you go again...
He...does seem like he's really strong, though.
Tch. I don't trust any Imperials, and that includes Blondie. It seems like he talked to Cassius about something...But who knows what his plan is, what with staying so long.
I guess that's a good point.
Although...Olivier may be weird, but I can't think of him as a bad guy...Even Mueller doesn't seem all that...malevolent, I guess?
Tch. Yeah, whatever.
Let's get over to the counter and get our tickets.

Sasha: Will you be using our national flights? Or our international flights?
Er, two tickets bound for Ruan, please.
Sasha: Understood...Oh, pardon me. You are with the Bracer Guild, yes? Are you Estelle and Agate?
Y-Yes?
Sasha: I have already received payment from Elnan with the capital branch. Here are your tickets.

quote:

Received two Boarding Passes.
I see, so Elnan did...
Nice, Elnan. He's always ahead.
Sasha: Well then, please hand your tickets to the receptionist immediately outside the building. You can check in for your flight there.

You can also pick up a new issue of the Liberl News here.

Finella: If you are, you will need to check in and present your tickets.
Once we check in, we should stick around and wait for the ship. Sure you got everything you need?

Finella: Very well. Please sign these papers, then.
Ah, sure.
...*scritch scratch*

quote:

Estelle and her companion finished checking in.

Finella: Thank you, everything is in order. Please wait in the harbor area for the next airship arrival.
Okay!
Right, then. Let's find a good bench and wait for the next ship.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 2, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 30, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

This is a couple updates late, but was I the only one kind of disappointed in the villain dialogue? I mean I know this is a fantasy jrpg and all, but that scene read like a bingo card of stupid villain exposition cliches. We've got the little kid inexplicably put in charge of far more experienced mercenaries, we've got ham-handed oblique references to personal agendas left vague for no reason other than to keep the player in the dark, we've got a big "as you know" listing of character names that is completely out of place in the conversation, and on and on. I don't really know what I was expecting, but I felt like the protagonists are at least written like human beings, and this was jarringly bad.
shadowy villain organizations are cool, dummy

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mzbundifund posted:

A lot of what made FC work so well story-wise was that it set up a lot of the standard JRPG tropes and then made them work much better than you would expect. So I'm looking forward to what they do with these guys even if the intro isn't great.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if we/Estelle will be the tie-breaking vote in that election.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
If you try and leave, Agate goes "what, so you wanted to go shopping after all?" and Estelle says "Nah, not really."

I wanted to go shopping, game! I found it a bit silly that the game also has that "are you sure you want to leave" confirmation, even though you can't leave anyway. What's the point of that?

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

This is a couple updates late, but was I the only one kind of disappointed in the villain dialogue? I mean I know this is a fantasy jrpg and all, but that scene read like a bingo card of stupid villain exposition cliches.

Trails is weird with their villains. In each of the three sub-series, there's at least one set of incredibly sympathetic, understandable villains with reasonable, grounded motivations and personalities (in Skies, that would be Richard). And then there's at least one set hammy ham ham villain who is just evil. This happens in every sub-series.

It's like Falcom just wants to show that they can make villains of both reasonable and completely unreasonable types.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I was in the middle of drinking something during the Anelace/Estelle talk.

Turns out I can't say "What the Hell?!" with a mouth full of Coke.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

AncientSpark posted:

Trails is weird with their villains. In each of the three sub-series, there's at least one set of incredibly sympathetic, understandable villains with reasonable, grounded motivations and personalities (in Skies, that would be Richard). And then there's at least one set hammy ham ham villain who is just evil. This happens in every sub-series.

It's like Falcom just wants to show that they can make villains of both reasonable and completely unreasonable types.

Eh, I wouldn't call all the enforcers 'pure evil' or anything, hammy for certain though. That's probably a discussion for once we've actually met them all though.

Estelle totally should have gone shopping though, and got herself an early equipment advantage.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

mauman posted:

I was in the middle of drinking something during the Anelace/Estelle talk.

Turns out I can't say "What the Hell?!" with a mouth full of Coke.

Yeah, that proposition was something else. No damage to any electronic equipment, I hope?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Dancing With The Wind-

The tourists gotta be flooding the streets in Ruan if the weather's like this there!
Maybe. They got bigger things heatin' the place up than tourism, though.
Other than tourists? What do you mean?
The election for the new mayor. Apparently, there's two popular candidates to replace old Dalmore.
So it's, like, an actual fight of an election? Neat.
And, thinking about it, I guess it's about time, huh? They can't just let the mayor's office sit empty.
Yeah, whole thing's been a bit of a mess ever since you guys blew that case wide open. I heard about what you guys did from Jean.
Ah, haha...
Yeah, after you left, me, Joshua, and Kloe worked on that. Well, we had some help from a reporter too, and the actual arrest was done by Lt. Schwarz of the Royal Guard.
Heh, even better! You're smart enough to see it wasn't all just you.
By 'Kloe,' though, you mean the girl in the uniform, right? A.K.A....Princess Klaudia? Man, that blew my friggin' mind when I heard that in the castle.
Haha, yeah, I know what you mean.
Y'know, I haven't seen Kloe since the birthday festival...or Olivier, I guess. For better or worse.
And not just them...Tita, too...and Zane...
I told Tita and her old fogey about what was up with you. I figured they'd worry too much if they were kept in the dark.
Oh...Thanks, Agate.
Yeah, well, you'd better send 'em a letter soon, or meet 'em in person, or whatever. They miss you.
Oh, and Zane went back to Calvard after the festival. He said to give you his best.
I see...I wish I could've said goodbye...
As for the princess, I think I heard she was back at the Jenis Academy. We'll be in Ruan for a while, so I think we can find some time to drop in and say hi, at least.
Yeah...You're right.
Heheh...
What? Did I say something funny?
Oh, no, not really.
I was just thinking...You're a lot more thoughtful than you look, Agate. You even offered to let me do some shopping before we left the capital.
Thoughtful?! I'm not...I mean, I am, but...Aww, forget it!
Whatever. I'm gonna go take a nap in my seat till we arrive. Don't get so absorbed in wandering around that you forget to get off at Ruan!

Anyway, think I'll take his advice! Time for a bit of looking around before we arrive...

Passenger: What'll happen if you fall, eh? Haha, kids are always so fearless. My knees are shaking just from being out here!
Young Passenger: Wooow, this is so cool! Heeey, look, look! That tree is so tiny! Heeey, Papa, c'mere! The mountains and rivers all look so small!

Santos: Thanks to the clouds, you can't even see the Sapphirl Tower from here. I'm a researcher with the History Museum. You know the towers, right? I'm here to inspect those. After Her Majesty's birthday celebrations, there were sightings of odd phenomena around the Tetracyclic Towers. A little late, but better to investigate now than never, right?

Passenger: No...They wouldn't attack us, would they? It seems likely the Sky Bandits've fled the country, but...Even so, I'm a wee bit worried.
Other Passenger: Oh, really, Grandpa is such a worrywart! I dunno what to do with him! Sure there WERE bandits, but according to the news, they don't even have a ship anymore! What're they gonna do? Flap their arms real hard and run us down with wishes?

Passenger: We really have it easy these days. And it's all thanks to Her Majesty!

Passenger: The candidates, I believe, are the harbor manager and the owner of a local hotel. I wonder which will win?

Crew Mem. Parker: Regrettably, it is cloudy at the moment, but you should be able to see the outline of the lake. Ahem! In a moment, we will be seeing a large river. That is the Roubine River, the largest in the kingdom.

Sister Rosa: I must confess, though, all the time I've been away, I've been so worried I thought I'd go crazy! This ship isn't even going the right way, but I jumped on without thinking about it. Ohhh, did Sunday School end safely, at least? Oh, dear, oh, dear...

Phelio: Sometimes you just need to kick back and chill out, you know?
Lakeisha: Hah! 'Sometimes,' he says. 'Sometimes,' my foot! You've only JUST managed to find a job! Phelio HAS been working hard lately, granted...I guess it's all right so long as he's doing his job...Wait, no, I keep spoiling him like this!

Crew Mem. Clare: Um, excuse me, are you from the Bracer Guild, miss?
I am, yeah.
Crew Mem. Clare: I thought so! I'm glad we could meet again. Do you remember me? I was one of the people you saved when the Sky Bandits held us hostage.
Oh! You were with the captain, right?
Crew Mem. Clare: That's right. I'm Clare. I manage the passenger cabin. Our entire crew owes you our lives and more. We're still here at our posts because you managed to save us.
Heehee, you're welcome!
Is the entire crew of the Linde back at work?
Crew Mem. Clare: Yes, everyone is working even harder than before.
That's great! I'm glad everyone was able to get back to their lives.
Crew Mem. Clare: Forgive me for asking, Miss Bracer, but are you traveling for pleasure today? Or...work?
Haha, unfortunately it's always work. I'll probably end up riding airships a lot from now on. I hope you'll treat me well if I end up on the Linde again. ♪
Crew Mem. Clare: Absolutely! I hope we get to serve you again. Bracers like yourself always seem so busy, miss. It must be so rough...Still, it's because of your efforts that our lives are peaceful. Thank you!

(This guy...Oh, no way.)
Orvid: I absolutely must make this next deal happen...I should look over the local foodstuffs again. Hmm, that's a good idea. I should return to my roots and do some plain old investigating. Hmmmmm, looking over the foodstuffs of Manoria...If I'm to get anything from this, I'll need to make a list and investigate with a careful plan.

Simon: If that non-aggression pact with the Empire happens, our trade in orbments is going to explode, after all. The plan is to get to Zeiss now and secure some product in advance. Mirano's schedule is always so tight. If nothing else, I guess it means we don't waste time...

Duncan: Watch that you don't hit your head wanderin' around. Our cargo this time is almost entirely orbments we loaded on at Zeiss. I dunno why, but lately there's been a lot of stuff gettin' shipped around.

Captain Grandt: Wait a moment...You're that girl from before!
Hi, sir! I haven't seen you in a while. I saved you at the bandit hideout, right?
Captain Grandt: Yes, I thought so! You must forgive me. I never had a chance to properly thank you. Allow me to offer my thanks on behalf of the entire crew.
Haha, you're welcome! I was really just doing my job, though.
Still, it is kind of funny, though. Taking a trip on the same airship I once helped to rescue...
Captain Grandt: Repairing the damage those thugs did took some time, but the Linde's as good as new now. I'm sure she's doing her best with you on board.

*HONK* *HONK* *HONK*

Ah!
Captain Grandt: Haha! Looks like she heard us talking. With conditions like today's, we should arrive in Ruan in no time. Please, enjoy the rest of your journey. Let us know if you need anything.
I will. Thanks, sir.
Captain Grandt: Incidentally, miss...Did you ever find your father?
Ah, yeah. He did come back eventually.
He waited until the very last second to show up, though.
Captain Grandt: I see! I'm glad to hear it. Just between you and I, I was a bit worried. After all, he IS the kind of man who would be willing to leap off a moving airship...
Ahaha...yeah, I...guess?

Crew Mem. Timon: Maintain heading until we reach the Roubine River. I'm glad the winds aren't too strong today. It'd be best to not stress the engine too much.
Crew Mem. Colton: Altitude okay. Setting throttle at 60%. Maintaining current heading until we cross the Roubine River. Confirming throttle at 60%. Orbal driver set. Okay! We should make touchdown in Ruan on schedule at this rate.

Lloyd: Somewhere in that wide open lake...the legendary king of the Valleria waters lives.
(Someone hasn't changed a bit...)
Lloyd: Hm? Oh, I was wondering who it was! Hello, Estelle.
Hi, Lloyd. I haven't seen you in forever. Looking to challenge the lord-king-mugwump fish of Valleria Lake again?
Lloyd: For now, no. I'm off to Ruan. I've heard there's a nice, convenient spot right in the city limits.
Wow, you sure are dedicated! It sounds fun, but I guess I'm just not that into fishing.
Lloyd: Oh, really? That's a pity. You've got quite a talent for it, from what I saw at the Kingfisher Inn...I know! Let me give you this.
Huh?

quote:

Received Fishing Book.
Received Progress Rod.
This is, uh...?
Lloyd: It's a rod for beginners and a notebook for recording your fishing records. We, the members of the Fisherman's Guild, are devoted to the expansion of the culture of fishing! We're always happy to provide promising rookies with the tools of the trade. Incidentally...are you bound for Ruan?
Yeah, I am, actually.
Lloyd: Oh, well, then. You'll have a chance to swing that rod right away. There are all sorts of fishing spots in Ruan.
Huh, I guess it would be a good chance. Now that you mention it, Ruan as a region IS kind of full of waterside areas!
Lloyd: As I mentioned, there's a point within the city itself, too. You should go there first to practice. For now, so long as you enjoy it, that's enough.
Yeah, thanks. I'll definitely give it a shot.
Lloyd: I pray that you'll join our ranks someday. Well, then! Safe journey to you. Normally, when you think Ruan, you think of sea fishing. But there's other good fishing spots, too. The Roubine River, the one that flows through town, and the ever-famous Air-Letten waterfall are also great fishing spots. If you get the chance to visit them, you should definitely bring your rod.

Passenger: Speaking of Ruan, that whole thing with Mayor Dalmore being arrested was a real shocker. Seems like the whole town's still in an uproar over it, but that's not too surprising. Even to an outsider, the whole Mayor Dalmore thing is shocking.

Burrell: The first time I rode one...we got attacked by bandits! P-Please let nothing happen this time, almighty Aidios...

Passenger: Back home in Calvard, airships are still very rare. It was kind of a shock when I found out normal citizens use them so casually like this!

(He's...already completely passed out.)
(I guess I've gotta respect being able to sleep like this.)

*BING BONG*

quote:

Woman's Voice: Thank you for flying with us today. We will be arriving in Ruan shortly. Please be aware that there may be turbulence while landing, so we ask that all passengers take their seats.
Whoops, I'd better get to my seat!

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 20, 2016

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
So Cassius got off the Linde in FC by literally jumping off of it?

:allears:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
You could tell me Cassius conquered Erebonia in his free time and I'd believe it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BearDrivingTruck posted:

So Cassius got off the Linde in FC by literally jumping off of it?

:allears:

I believe it's actually that he never got on and they just didn't change the passenger manifest, but your version works too.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Some Numbers posted:

I believe it's actually that he never got on and they just didn't change the passenger manifest, but your version works too.

I was going off the fact that the Linde's captain just said "After all, he IS the kind of man who would be willing to leap off a moving airship..."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cassius doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would jump off an airship without a good reason, though, and for him the sky bandits certainly didn't qualify.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ultrafilter posted:

Cassius doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would jump off an airship without a good reason, though, and for him the sky bandits certainly didn't qualify.

The reason he never was on "jumped off" the Linde wasn't the Capuas, it was because the guild contacted him about the Calvard branches being targeted by the Jaegers (under Weissmann's orders) and said Calvard branches cried uncle to uncle Cassius.

Of course, had he still been on the Linde upon the sky bandit attack, the Capuas would trigger PTSD symptoms at the mere mention of the Bright surname.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
And even if he did jump off it's unlikely he did it while the ship was at high altitude. He probably leaped sometime during the takeoff. Which admittedly would still kill most people, but Cassius is probably like level 999.

Or, you know, he just smuggled a parachute on board or something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Seaport City of Ruan-

When Estelle was last in Ruan, Mayor Dalmore and his steward had a heel-turn that would move Vince McMahon to tears: burning down an orphanage so they could steal the land, and build ritzy vacation homes on it. Loewe, who set the fire, made sure that Matron Theresa (yes, really) and her charges could escape unharmed, but then Dalmore had them mugged in the street.

It was all a little over the top. Theresa and her kids are probably just lucky that Liberl doesn't use railroads. They would have gotten tied to a track for sure.

The Intelligence Division was there too, because...reasons. I have no idea what value Colonel Richard would have seen in that whole deal, unless Dalmore was being set up for future blackmail or a high-profile arrest. Maybe it was all Loewe, using the I.D. to perpetrate some secret fuckery for Ouroboros. Dalmore's heirloom Chronos Rod has been mentioned in passing a few times; ancient artifacts are right up Weissmann's alley.

Carna's been away, so the board's covered with jobs.
You guys have your work cut out for you. Geared up and ready to go, I hope?
Ah...haha...Sending us out already...?
We were expecting a LITTLE board work, but...
Anything urgent come up lately?
Well, no. We're snowed under with work in general, but none of it is particularly urgent. I mean, the election's being held under the eyes of the military anyway...The town's so busy boiling over from the election that the tourists have stayed home a bit.
Whoa, the election's gotten that hot? Who's running? We haven't heard...
Mr. Norman, who is a proponent of the tourism industry, and Mr. Portos, who wants to try and revive the harbors and shipping business. Remember, this is a big deal--the mayor of Ruan is also the governor of the entire region! People in Manoria and elsewhere are voting, too. It's been a real media circus.
This election is basically going to decide the future of Ruan. It's exciting.
I get it now. That IS big! Well, given that I'm underage and not a citizen of Ruan, I guess I can't vote...Gotta admit, though, since I, uh, basically helped CAUSE this, I'm sorta curious to see where it goes!
Oh, then read the coverage from the Liberl News. Their investigative articles are excellent.
Investigation...Wait, that reminds me...
There is actually a job I'd like you to focus on. It isn't 'urgent,' but...it's something that needs looking into.
Oh? What's up?
Uh, well, how do I put this...? It's hard to explain. Maybe I shouldn't have...
The heck? Ain't like you to beat around the bush, Jean. Since when do you hesitate to pile the work on? Come on, spit it out!
Haha! Well, ah, thanks for the honesty...I think...
Well, all right. Here it is: I want you to investigate ghost sightings.

See, I KNEW you were gonna look at me like that...This is why I didn't want to bring it up.
N-No, sorry, it's just a bit of, um, a surprise, is all.
So...uh, what exactly do you mean by 'ghost sightings'?
Okay, so. It began about two weeks ago. We've been receiving reports that people have been seeing a 'white shadow' at night. And not just in the City of Ruan, mind you. Reports have come in from all across the province.
They saw a 'white shadow' at night...
W-W-Wait, you mean...?!
Ah, so that's why you said a 'ghost.'
And it probably isn't a prank or a trick of the eyes, if people are seeing this thing all over.
Exactly. I'd have dismissed one sighting, but with all the reports we've gotten...While you're traveling around working on the other jobs, do you think you could follow up on a few of the reports?
Er, um, well, you see...
Uh, it'd be...irresponsible of us to take such a job with so much else going on! Yeah...That's it...
Estelle...are you...?
Wha, noooo, nonono! Not at all! You think Estelle the Coup-Breaker, Hero of Liberl, would be afraid of ghosts? No way! No how! No...
...Sorry, I AM afraid of ghosts. A little.
Haha! More than a little, from the looks of it.
Well, don't worry. Nobody's been hurt or anything, and it isn't urgent. We'll just pretend this conversation didn't--
No. We'll take it.
Don't forget. A big part of our mission is investigating the society. We're to keep an eye out for even the slightest hints of activity from them. That's the plan, remember?
Oh...
Everyone has things they have trouble handling. Everyone. So don't be afraid to admit you're scared of something...
But admit it, and do something about it, instead of just running away from it.
Ouch. Little harsh, don't you think, Agate?
...No. Agate's totally right.
I'm afraid of ghosts, but...No ghost...could match the terror I felt the day Joshua disappeared.
Estelle...
Heh, now you get it.
Jean. We'll investigate those sightings and get to the bottom of them. I promise!
Glad to hear it.
Anyway, I've got three sightings in particular that I think bear looking into. The first one is a report from a guard at Air-Letten. Apparently, he saw something during a night patrol that spooked the heck out of him.
Oookay...Not scared, not scared...
The second one I know of was a sighting by a member of the Ravens.
Figure that one should be easy since Agate is with you.
Heh. If he doesn't talk, I'll remind the guy who his REAL boss is.
Oh, cut it out with the macho stuff...
They seemed...kind of different during the tournament in Grancel, y'know?
Yeah, I kind of doubt it.
Well, ah, do try to be...SUBTLE about it, yes?
The last report is from one of the children at the Mercia Orphanage.
Wait, one of the orphanage kids?!
Yes, Matron Theresa contacted us on her behalf. Oh, right, guess you wouldn't know. Reconstruction of the orphanage finished not too long ago. According to Theresa, it's more or less exactly as it once was.
It is? That's a relief. I wanted to go say hi to Theresa and the kids anyway. I'll ask about the...thingy sighting when I go congratulate them over the new orphanage building.
And that's it!
Remember, though, this really isn't urgent, so you can put it off for a bit if something else comes up. The rest of the jobs are on the board, so make sure to check it. Once you've heard what all three witnesses have to say, come back here. We can go over all the testimonies and take a stab at figuring this mess out.
Understood! The Ravens hang out right here in the city, in the Warehouse District. We might check in with them first.
Right. The Warehouse District is across the bridge, by the harbor. Let's move out.

Two of these jobs are best finished later, and the other two can't be done at all yet. We have more pressing business:

-Welcome to Le Locle-

Gambling!

Lottelio: It's super-mega relaxing here! Where else can I earn some mira AND have fun while I'm at it? If you're not sure how to play, let me know and I'll be happy to help. ♥

Fuego: I shall be your match.

Gunter: You can play blackjack here at this table. It's one of the few games where you're practically guaranteed to make a little mira, so long as you play your cards right. Sit back, relax, and have some fun.

Spiridon: There are times in life when one is forced to make decisions without the help of logic. However, Aidios, ever merciful, has granted humanity a gift to trump such trying moments...I speak of intuition, of course. Just as with choices in life, there is no logic behind winning and losing in gambling. But once you've learned to sense the danger intuitively...THAT, friend, is when you've captured the true spirit of gambling.

You have to buy and wager medals instead of just gambling with mira directly. Lavantar has poker, blackjack, and roulette, but the safe money is over in the corner.

Alund: They're not nearly as nice as the modern ones...Which is totally why I lost. Yeah...

The slots are the only casino mini-game that requires timing rather than luck.

You can bet up to five times per play, with each bet activating another row or diagonal for potential payouts. And once you've got the rhythm down...

It helps that you can save scum, too.

You can take your pile of medals back to the exchange girl for a selection of prizes...

...including a new volume of Gambler Jack, a fishing rod, and some accessories that you can take to Joan Arms & Guards just up the street.

-Seaport City of Ruan-

Eva: Carna's not here right now, so I hope you guys will do your best.

My foolproof get-rich-quick scheme is enough to net me a whopping...

...two grand.

Since you're only playing for Lavantar fun bucks, the slots are a terrible, terrible way to get paid. I mean, I suppose you COULD make infinite money...in theory...as long as you've got the next fifty years free or so. Stick to honest work. The Guild pays perfectly well.

If you've come here with Agate, make sure you get one of grandma's earrings for him. Estelle and Schera can get by on just their arts, but Agate will be crippled if he can't smash things.

Those casino winnings are at least good for some better gear for Estelle (Agate already has the best available right now), some extra ingredients, and a few new local recipes.

Primo: Apparently, he and his friends participated in the Martial Arts Competition this year. But just when I thought he was going to try and make something of himself, he's back to being lazy as ever. It's so frustrating! Why doesn't he have the motivation to change...?

quote:

Azelia Kiss

[To-Go/HP1500/Cures K.O.]
A cocktail with a lip-tingling hint of Azelia.

The streets are filled with election solicitors.

The Royal Army is fully aware, and preparing airstrikes.

Squaro: The second floor's serving as Portos' election headquarters, but my place is as open for business as always. Why not have a seat and take a look at our menu? We got the best seafood around!

quote:

Sea Breeze Soup

[Sit-Down/HP1000 All]
A simple pasta soup seasoned with a kiss of ocean brine.

quote:

Prime Salmon Grill

[To-Go/HP1800]
A luxurious dish of premium fish steaks, drizzled in oil.

Ruan's Granate Orbal Factory doesn't have any amazing new quartz, but I've got enough sepith to upgrade one more slot for Estelle.

Tobias: You should focus on upgrading your slots to get a handle on their functionality levels as well. The Epstein Foundation is really pushing the new model orbments. Even independently owned and operated factories like mine are participating in their outreach programs.

Is that you, Lloyd?
Lloyd: Oh, it's you guys. How about it? Already tried out your rod?
No, not yet. I had some places I needed to go.
Lloyd: I see, I see. Well, then, want to check out a spot nearby? I know a really great location.
Really?! Yes, please!
...Hey, weren't we gonna ask the Ravens about the ghost?
O-Of course! Of course we were. But, we can make a short stop, right...? Pleeeeeease?
*sigh* Fine. Hurry up and get it over with.
Lloyd: Haha, no worries. It won't take that much time. Let me show you. Follow me.
Yeah!!

Lloyd: Yeah, look at the surface of the water. See, there's a ripple in the water, right? That's a sign that you can pull up fish here. You should be able to find them in most bodies of water, so be sure to keep an eye out on your travels.
Okay. So basically, just pay attention to the surface of the water. Got it.
Lloyd: Now, enough about how to find fishing spots...Next, let me give you this.

quote:

Received Polychaete x5.

Lloyd: This is bait for fishing, but...It's not sold in stores, so you'll have to find it on your own. They're dropped by monsters, though, so a bracer like you shouldn't have any problems.
Ah, that's good to hear.
Lloyd: Aaaaand that's about it. You'll just have to find out the rest by trying stuff.
Yeah, got it. Thanks for all the help!
Lloyd: No, no. My pleasure. It's all part of being a member of the Fisherman's Guild. Well, then, catch you later. I expect great results!

Fishing, like gambling, is totally optional.

You just find one of Liberl's many ripply fishing holes, then select a rod and a bait.

The rod determines what types of bait you can use. The bait determines what types of fish you can actually pull up. Not every bait will work at any given fishing spot.

Then wait, and hit the use button the instant you see the '!' start to appear over Estelle's head. If you wait for the full ! then it'll be too late.

quote:

Great Blackfish spat out Wind Sepith x20.

quote:

Kasago spat out Gummy Eyeball x2.

quote:

Gold Angelfish spat out Space Sepith x15.

quote:

Sea Bass spat out Fish Fillet x3.

quote:

Claudine spat out Juicy Bone x1.
Fish can be sold, and will also vomit forth a variety of useful supplies: cooking ingredients, sepith, recovery balms, even rare and powerful accessories. Some, like the Kasago and Sea Bass, can be used as fishing bait in their own right. Unfortunately Estelle missed Lloyd's 'CATCH you later!' pun--the only joke he knows--and so we've missed out forever on the ultimate fishing secret.

Now that's enough distractions.

Next time, we have to interrogate Agate's old gang of toughs. I'm sure his authority will help everything go smoothly.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 7, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 30, 2016

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Pfft, slots are for chumps, if you REALLY want to make some money in the casino, stick to Poker. It's really easy to get a high medal multiplier in a session relying on nothing but pairs and you're bound to luck into some good hands now and again for a chance to max out the multiplier at 9999, which on max bet is enough for 25k mira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Now, is that 25,000 mira, or 25,000 medals?

• Locked thread