Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Introduce the English longbow to the Romans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

'English longbow' is what I call my cock.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If I could go back in time and give jesus thousands of copies of The Mormon Bible and also travel with him to north america to take pictures and selfies while he evaneglizes to the jewish native american lost tribes of israel i could come back to modern times and ensure an eternal mormon dominion over earth

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I would crucify Christians, because that is just what they did back then. No hard feelings.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

I would crucify Christians, because that is just what they did back then. No hard feelings.

im having some hard feeelings, for buggering your rear end in a top hat ancient rome style :a2m:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rutibex posted:

its a hell of a lot closer than earth/fire/air/water :shrug: it's not like we understand how atoms work exactly either

we know enough, we know that if we split them stuff blows up :911:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
1 AD? What an awful time to try this thought experiment.

You're talking about going back to a time where the elites engaged in public debate regularly and were master rhetoricians. You might be able to convince the plebs in the country but if the rhetors in Athens and Rome were the best bullshitters in history. A guy named Gorgias could literally talk convincingly about any subject, no matter how little he knew about it. Even with modern proofs and whatnot, the average rhetor would destroy just about any of us in the public arena and explain away whatever we brought. It's not about truth/accuracy, it's about convincing people you're right and that would be nigh impossible around that time (unless you're well-versed in rhetoric yourself).

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

FooF posted:

You're talking about going back to a time where the elites engaged in public debate regularly and were master rhetoricians. You might be able to convince the plebs in the country but if the rhetors in Athens and Rome were the best bullshitters in history. A guy named Gorgias could literally talk convincingly about any subject, no matter how little he knew about it. Even with modern proofs and whatnot, the average rhetor would destroy just about any of us in the public arena and explain away whatever we brought. It's not about truth/accuracy, it's about convincing people you're right and that would be nigh impossible around that time (unless you're well-versed in rhetoric yourself).

wow look at this gay idiot lol what a knob

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FooF posted:

i was gonna make this post but just say everything was about to get hosed up big time with barbarians and plague and poo poo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

On the other hand I have just used my flamethrower to incinerate someone in a public display and claimed myself the god of fire, and i have ordered the horrified mob who has witnessed this to kill every senator in rome and to send messengers to the provinces instructing the plebs to arrest and kill every governor and every landed male, and they do it because what are they gonna do to a madman with napalm and a flame thrower

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

On the other hand I have just used my flamethrower to incinerate someone in a public display and claimed myself the god of fire, and i have ordered the horrified mob who has witnessed this to kill every senator in rome and to send messengers to the provinces instructing the plebs to arrest and kill every governor and every landed male, and they do it because what are they gonna do to a madman with napalm and a flame thrower

cool you've caused an anarchy state and every would be hero around to pick up his pilums and try to jack you at range from behind

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Maybe I'd convince a rhetoricians in private why arabic numbers are good, and he could do the rest of the work.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

cool you've caused an anarchy state and every would be hero around to pick up his pilums and try to jack you at range from behind

im not gonna try to take control, the anarchy is thegoal. the god of fire is not a god of order

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I would introduce the concept of eating pussy to the ancient greeks so they wouldn't have to be gay.

E: I guess by 1AD the greeks are done. I guess I'd help the romans with their sex problems.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Applewhite posted:

I would introduce the concept of eating pussy to the ancient greeks so they wouldn't have to be gay.

Maybe introduce pussy hygiene first

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hemophilia posted:

Maybe introduce pussy hygiene first

yeah very good point.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I would enter the colosseum and totally destroy and dismember all the malnourished diseased weakass syphillus gladiators and become a living god

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I would enter the colosseum and totally destroy and dismember all the malnourished diseased weakass syphillus gladiators and become a living god

RIP

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hemophilia posted:

romans already had flame throwers, you wouldn't impress anyone

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

romans already had flame throwers, you wouldn't impress anyone

you haven't seen my outfit

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

FooF posted:

A guy named Gorgias could literally talk convincingly about any subject, no matter how little he knew about it.

Bonus points if he was actually handsome.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

as if I'm scared of of some skinny slave with some pussyass net

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FooF posted:

OTOH all you have to do is convince one of these fuckers in private that it's in their best interest to work with you, and now you've got a convincing spokesperson and crazy science that looks like magic/will of the gods.

poo poo, show one of these fuckers something like a mechanical scythe or some other agricultural development and they'll loving line up to work with you.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
destroy all the gladiators with an aluminum baseball bat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXb1z25hnI

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

syphilis is from the americas. enjoy being dismembered

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The decimal system, germ theory and vaccination, basic chemistry, crop rotation, gunpowder, steel making would be accessible things to them. 1AD Rome? Get an audience with Maecenas.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

1AD North America, convince closest civilization to domesticate turkeys, so when Old Worlders show up they are wiped out by Turkey Pox. Entire planet is depopulated.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

its a hell of a lot closer than earth/fire/air/water :shrug: it's not like we understand how atoms work exactly either

We have a pretty good nuclear model. That guy's atomic theory is closer to the elements idea than it is to modern science. All he says is that at some point you can't cut stuff in half anymore.

It's like congratulating a kid for pointing out some symbolic imagery in a movie and they say "I thought it was interesting when..." Thanks kid you really had some insight there.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
"Stay safe poverty ghost"

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I only know how to Google things so I'd just set them back by some imperceptable amount as they're forced to deal with yet another anonymous corpse.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

We have a pretty good nuclear model. That guy's atomic theory is closer to the elements idea than it is to modern science. All he says is that at some point you can't cut stuff in half anymore.

It's like congratulating a kid for pointing out some symbolic imagery in a movie and they say "I thought it was interesting when..." Thanks kid you really had some insight there.

Every goon posting like this needs a good rear end kicking

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Every goon needs a good rear end kicking

FTFY

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

It's great how a bunch of neckbeards are fantasizing about amazing everyone with an iPod or dominating the Roman Empire because you have a gun like you think you are gonna be some kind of walking God-King just because you can carry some stupid big weapon

You could walk into Ancient Rome with a full frikken armory and you'd still be killed in under a minute by anyone with an arrow, spear or knife because you are a loving goon

Having modern technology doesn't mean poo poo other than you are weaker without it, you're talking about a bunch of people who struggled with no modern technology living in a world full of barbarians and ultraviolence who were able to conquer much of Europe and establish the largest and most complex empire ever seen and build colleseums and marble statues and poo poo with just a bunch of twigs and rocks and unclean water

Your average goon can barely feed himself properly, kill a spider, or have sex and that's with the entire wealth of all human knowledge at his finger tips

And yall think you could become some sort of emperor as if the ancient Romans give a poo poo about your Thomas the tank engine collectibles

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah just ignore the fact rome pretty much managed all that by storming a bunch of technologically inferior petty kingdoms and tribally controlled territory or just waving a sword at some of the older, more advanced parts of the world that still didn't want to bother fighting the terrifying roman army bringing innovations such as forcing a bunch of slaves to build roads everywhere and military logistics.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'd teach the Romans that pro-wrestling is fake as gently caress by learning Augustus how to do a proper Super-plex

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Lmbo

goon_history_smdh.jpg

eurocentric.jpg

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SHISHKABOB posted:

its a conceptual framework, they didnt just figure out atoms they figured out that most of matter is void, which is pretty important too. the idea that the shape of atoms is what gives them their characteristics is mostly correct as well. they called it "hooks" instead of "electro magnetism" but the concept is sound

the greeks problem was that they didn't like experiments. they considered empiricism to be a more degenerate knowledge than what you could get just by thinking. if they did some experiments with their ancient atomic model in mind i feel confident they would have figured out the missing details pretty easily (like atomic elements)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'd introduce the nobility to heroin.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

It's great how a bunch of neckbeards are fantasizing about amazing everyone with an iPod or dominating the Roman Empire because you have a gun like you think you are gonna be some kind of walking God-King just because you can carry some stupid big weapon

You could walk into Ancient Rome with a full frikken armory and you'd still be killed in under a minute by anyone with an arrow, spear or knife because you are a loving goon

Having modern technology doesn't mean poo poo other than you are weaker without it, you're talking about a bunch of people who struggled with no modern technology living in a world full of barbarians and ultraviolence who were able to conquer much of Europe and establish the largest and most complex empire ever seen and build colleseums and marble statues and poo poo with just a bunch of twigs and rocks and unclean water

Your average goon can barely feed himself properly, kill a spider, or have sex and that's with the entire wealth of all human knowledge at his finger tips

And yall think you could become some sort of emperor as if the ancient Romans give a poo poo about your Thomas the tank engine collectibles

everyone in old times are weak and malnourished and infected with parasites and half drunk all the time it'd be easy to steamroll them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I was sent back but ended up inside of the ground killing me instantly.

• Locked thread