Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Having all my teeth and all I feel like I could be pounding puss left and right... until I started to lose teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Decrepus posted:

I was sent back but ended up inside of the ground killing me instantly.

Yes!! This!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

its a conceptual framework, they didnt just figure out atoms they figured out that most of matter is void, which is pretty important too. the idea that the shape of atoms is what gives them their characteristics is mostly correct as well. they called it "hooks" instead of "electro magnetism" but the concept is sound

the greeks problem was that they didn't like experiments. they considered empiricism to be a more degenerate knowledge than what you could get just by thinking. if they did some experiments with their ancient atomic model in mind i feel confident they would have figured out the missing details pretty easily (like atomic elements)

Yes indeed I agree that the Greeks would have ample resources for experiments probing the behavior of the atom.

Listen dude, I'm not calling them stupid. I'm just saying that without these experiments, their ideas are meaningless. They don't predict anything. There is no model to compare things to.

In a philosophical sense it's cool I guess, but in terms of science it's like ok whatever.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Germstore posted:

Having all my teeth and all I feel like I could be pounding puss left and right... until I started to lose teeth.

People generally had reasonably decent teeth due to the lack of refined sugars in their diets.

Then again its not really surprising that dirt farming peasants have better overall hygiene then goons.

Yes they actually bathed pretty often (the peasants, not the goons)

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yes indeed I agree that the Greeks would have ample resources for experiments probing the behavior of the atom.

Listen dude, I'm not calling them stupid. I'm just saying that without these experiments, their ideas are meaningless. They don't predict anything. There is no model to compare things to.

In a philosophical sense it's cool I guess, but in terms of science it's like ok whatever.

Empiricism without "philosophy" proper is epistemological nihilism

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Like, exactly where I am now but the year 1ad op?

Probably die in the cold vacuum of space id imagine

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I know some of these words.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

New World apocalypse cult. In 1491 turns of the seasons pale devils will invade your shores. You cannot stop them with force, only by living in very large groups with large amounts of turkeys will you bring them the same destruction that they bring you. Now bring me some puss to smash.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wow it's like it goes both ways. I guess that's why we don't say they were scientists back then.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
The diseases I carry would probably ensure that the entire population of the world would be dead within a year or two.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow it's like it goes both ways. I guess that's why we don't say they were scientists back then.

They needed a thousand years of monotheistic philosophic thought before empiricism could develop as a methodology :shrug:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

They needed a thousand years of monotheistic philosophic thought before empiricism could develop as a methodology :shrug:

Shut up, you two.

e: This is a safe space for talking about smashing first century puss.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I'd preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ until getting fed to lions

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If you're not smashin' patrician puss I don't want to hear it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Stay safe poverty ghost.

Harry Harrison wrote a great book about a man with decent science knowledge trapped on a primitive planet called The Ethical Engineer. The main character eventually makes a electric prayer wheel for the peasants to turn that sends out an SOS.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People would be too busy trying to survive to help you out with your retarded ideas about advanced civilization. Then they'd enslave you and pork you in the butt

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I would poop on a boner

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
funny thing is, unless your some kind of scholar or a catholic priest you wouldn't be able to talk to anyone. but unlike most people you would be able to read out written text, just not understand it :v:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i would become emperor of rome and erect a gargantuan stone structure that looked like my cock, which would also serve as my royal palace and tomb

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Stay safe poverty ghost

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Therefore, we are referred to the op.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's great how a bunch of neckbeards are fantasizing about amazing everyone with an iPod or dominating the Roman Empire because you have a gun like you think you are gonna be some kind of walking God-King just because you can carry some stupid big weapon

You could walk into Ancient Rome with a full frikken armory and you'd still be killed in under a minute by anyone with an arrow, spear or knife because you are a loving goon

Having modern technology doesn't mean poo poo other than you are weaker without it, you're talking about a bunch of people who struggled with no modern technology living in a world full of barbarians and ultraviolence who were able to conquer much of Europe and establish the largest and most complex empire ever seen and build colleseums and marble statues and poo poo with just a bunch of twigs and rocks and unclean water

Your average goon can barely feed himself properly, kill a spider, or have sex and that's with the entire wealth of all human knowledge at his finger tips

And yall think you could become some sort of emperor as if the ancient Romans give a poo poo about your Thomas the tank engine collectibles

Dude I'm really good at Crusader Kings 2 and Total War games, okay?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
italians are dumb as poo poo, conquering them would be easypie

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Rutibex posted:

funny thing is, unless your some kind of scholar or a catholic priest you wouldn't be able to talk to anyone. but unlike most people you would be able to read out written text, just not understand it :v:

Being able to read just by looking at text instead of having to say it aloud was considered quite a feat though I would probably have trouble reading Latin in all caps with no spaces even if I were actually fluent in Latin

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

funny, i would go back and convince jesus to write an actual book instead of letting his retard inbred followers write a conflicting book made up of things they half remember him kinda saying and doing and also here's a dream

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I'd gently caress everything that moves, advancing human evolution a tiny amount through my sperm.

Flesh Forge posted:

I could show those old boys a thing or two about advanced masturbation techniques

You gonna do the one where you rub your penis like you're trying to kindle a flame?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elfgames posted:

funny, i would go back and convince jesus to write an actual book instead of letting his retard inbred followers write a conflicting book made up of things they half remember him kinda saying and doing and also here's a dream

Id take him my hentai babe sketches and show him how easy is to draw a big ol weiner between her legs

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Not very far because my specialty is New World Archaeology, if anything I'd set Rome and China back a ways.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Leroy Dennui posted:

You gonna do the one where you rub your penis like you're trying to kindle a flame?

Oh man, I tried looking in the masturbation article on Wikipedia for this technique but couldn't find it; still a pro-read, though.

There used to be an animated gif on Wikipedia of the technique but it's probably long gone.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

hemophilia posted:

Yeah just ignore the fact rome pretty much managed all that by storming a bunch of technologically inferior petty kingdoms and tribally controlled territory or just waving a sword at some of the older, more advanced parts of the world that still didn't want to bother fighting the terrifying roman army bringing innovations such as forcing a bunch of slaves to build roads everywhere and military logistics.
they werent really technologically inferior thats just roman cultural propaganda

for example the celts were an advanced and complex society that were a lot better at iron working than the romans and invented things like a harvesting cart that were centuries ahead of their time

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

XMNN posted:

they werent really technologically inferior thats just roman cultural propaganda

for example the celts were an advanced and complex society that were a lot better at iron working than the romans and invented things like a harvesting cart that were centuries ahead of their time

the romans defeated everyone and everything not through superior military cunning or technology or force of will but really just logistics

what the romans would really want you to create for them would be amazon.com

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I could swap venereal diseases with whores. Have some HPV and a bit of herp for whatever whacky dick-rot we've wiped out with anti-biotics.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

eSports Chaebol posted:

the romans defeated everyone and everything not through superior military cunning or technology or force of will but really just logistics

what the romans would really want you to create for them would be amazon.com

War is logistics especially in a pre-mechanised society.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

you could just refine bauxite and buy every government with your aluminium, then you could do whatever you wanted

TBF you don't even have to travel that far back to pull this time scam off.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Elfgames posted:

wouldn't have mattered dude

All the Christian priests got together in Rome after they got all official, and had a big meeting about what was official poo poo that goes in the book and what was apocryphal blasphemy to be burnt. Weirdly enough all the stuff that supported the political goals of the priests got in and all the stuff that was like gently caress the man got quietly burnt. All the same kinds of sources and so on. So if Jesus existed and then wrote a thing, then it like all the other texts would have been heavily spun. the resultant blancmange would be pretty similar: an ambitious political manifesto of the earliest pioneers of Roman Catholicism that is as groundbreaking in its day as it is disastrous now.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

chaosbreather posted:

wouldn't have mattered dude

All the Christian priests got together in Rome after they got all official, and had a big meeting about what was official poo poo that goes in the book and what was apocryphal blasphemy to be burnt. Weirdly enough all the stuff that supported the political goals of the priests got in and all the stuff that was like gently caress the man got quietly burnt. All the same kinds of sources and so on. So if Jesus existed and then wrote a thing, then it like all the other texts would have been heavily spun. the resultant blancmange would be pretty similar: an ambitious political manifesto of the earliest pioneers of Roman Catholicism that is as groundbreaking in its day as it is disastrous now.

This isn't accurate. Up until the reformation the popes would determine what was canon and what wasn't on a pope-by-pope basis.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is the Bible considered fanfiction?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Germstore posted:

This isn't accurate. Up until the reformation the popes would determine what was canon and what wasn't on a pope-by-pope basis.

they were dangerous, capricious times. one moment you have the Holy Father's blessing to ship Christ and Magdalene, the next youre being excommunicated for it

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Germstore posted:

council of nicaea et al gently caress face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

chaosbreather posted:

council of nicaea et al gently caress face

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea posted:

There is no record of any discussion of the biblical canon at the council.

• Locked thread