Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Cardboard Computer has finally decided that Act IV of the legendarily delayed Kentucky Route Zero is almost finished. Acts I through III and three side-games (scroll down; they're basically Acts 0, II.V and III.V) have previously been released. Also there were phones.

The OP from the previous thread (possibly in archives):

TychoCelchuuu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCz9T5NgYJQ

From the developers of Wikipedia vs. Predator and this guy comes Kentucky Route Zero. The game is five acts long and so far Act 1 is out.

The game was funded on Kickstarter and it's "a magical realist adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky and the mysterious folks who travel it." It's on Greenlight if you want to vote for it.

Check out an old as gently caress trailer. It has a giant eagle that sidles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pvkCYNhf7M

Basically everyone who plays this game loves it - this thread is a good indication. It's out on Steam and also on the official site.

The only images released of Act IV (because SPOILURZ):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's half-off right now for the Steam Fall Sale right now and I'd say its totally worth 12 bucks right now if you're willing to wait. The episodes have only gotten better and its personally one of my absolute favorite games.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

It's half-off right now for the Steam Fall Sale right now and I'd say its totally worth 12 bucks right now if you're willing to wait. The episodes have only gotten better and its personally one of my absolute favorite games.

To set expectations: it's been a year and a half since episode 3 and counting, and the delays have gotten worse for each episode. We probably won't see episode 5 until mid-late 2017, so if you prefer to play episodic games at once, you may as well wait.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

monster on a stick posted:

To set expectations: it's been a year and a half since episode 3 and counting, and the delays have gotten worse for each episode. We probably won't see episode 5 until mid-late 2017, so if you prefer to play episodic games at once, you may as well wait.

If there have been no toxxes about this game and its release dates (and whether it gets finished at all) I'm very disappointed you people.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 28, 2015

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
They've been releasing some more teaser images for act IV, including a cool webgl scene you can (kind of) interact with.
http://kentuckyroutezero.com/phonebooth.wrongle

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
They sent an update.

quote:

Progress! And wrongles.

Hi all!

It's been a while since we checked in with you by email, so we just wanted to say "hello" & share some progress and art.

Last time we wrote you was in November. We were feeling pretty confident about the way Act 4 was shaping up at that point. Then some personal and creative curveballs tripped us up a little & we didn't get it done as quickly as we thought we would at the time. Now we're feeling confident & "almost done" again ... but let's be a little more concrete this time:

We have basically one-and-a-half scenes left to make in act four. Those 1.5 scenes are on the smaller side of the KRZ spectrum in complexity. Ben has some recordings to edit together into a piece. We have a final pass of dialog proofreading & editing left to do. And we have to play through the whole thing a few more times looking for bugs.

So that's where we're at! We are still learning how to balance making work and communicating with you, our audience, especially as a three-person team spread pretty thin as it is, so, thanks -- as always -- for your patience.

Act 3 was released on May 6, 2014; 740 days ago.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
Im seriously marked out hard for this game. I dont care if I wait 5 years for the next game, I am the exact kind of dope that this game is for. right now im trying to figure out the best time to start a new playthrough to rev up my hype machine

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
A new clip from the act 4 soundtrack was posted to the Cardboard Computer Twitter feed today. This was included in the lyrics tag:

quote:

See that? Looks like a swirling mess of garbage, doesn't it? Well ... that's what it is. I don't know why trash seems to collect right there, of all the spots on the lake. It's always been that way. Everyone navigates around it, like it was an island or something. I think I see some desks and chairs, swirling around the edge there ... Yeah, those all-in-one desks, like they have in schools, if I remember right. It's been a few years since I saw the inside of one! Those must have washed down from somewhere. I've never known there to be a school on the lake ... Oh, there was "Gemini School of Beauty." It was run by sisters, Cassie and Paula, indistinguishable except for their hair. But I wouldn't think they'd have used desks like that. We used to stop there most every night to let someone off for a cheap haircut - student stylists, you know - they spared many a sailor the pain of a botched do-it-yourself do! But I guess they got in deep to the power company; those blow dryers and curling irons burn a lot of coal. It's a shame they had to close down. The haircuts are gone, but the hair keeps growing. Yeah, this cluttered place makes a decent local museum. It's as good a history as I could ever tell ...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this is a really cool game and I hope they're able to release the last episodes at some point

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

KR0 Development Team posted:

We must have spent ten weeks trying to turn Act 4 into a VR-capable game and an additional three months trying to build a time machine--crystals, electromagnets, it even had a huge clock like you'd see in the movies--but it never seemed to work, (besides inching us ever-forward into the future). One of us kept bringing up that TV show, "LOST". I grew weary of the allegories, the unanswered questions.

It's a game about death, so it's only appropriate that I die before my game is completed. "The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" Will I become part of my game once I shuffle off this mortal coil?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Cardboard did a thing:

http://www.milanogamefestival.com/collection/

quote:

The Triennale Game Collection is a downloadable virtual exhibition of video games created for the XXI Triennale by some of the world’s most renowned independent game designers, showcasing these artists’ experimental approach to interactivity.
Neighbor (Cardboard Computer)

The crater is roughly sixty meters in diameter, rocky, hot in the daytime and cool at night, home to cacti that bears edible fruit.

EDIT: also

I may have been optimistic :v:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 18, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
:siren: Act 4 is out :siren:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's real good. I also assume there's a lot of scenes you can miss because you either choose to stay on the boat or explore the Echo multiple times.

Also poo poo's not looking very good for Conway.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 19, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

I'm going to run home so fast my cheeks will billow out with wind.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Let's assume I'm on a device that's incapable of playing videos (and also using google for some reason?) and thus SA is my only window into the vast world of gaming. What's the gameplay like, and what's so cool about it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Xander77 posted:

Let's assume I'm on a device that's incapable of playing videos (and also using google for some reason?) and thus SA is my only window into the vast world of gaming. What's the gameplay like, and what's so cool about it?
It's focused on dialogue choices and exploration. The choices you make don't change the plot but shape the characters and who they are. The game's got a lot of things to find, especially whenever you're driving around the Kentucky backroads. It's fantastic settings and great writing all come together to make for a really engaging game.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Just finished it.

Great writing as usual, loved all the little bits between stops on the Echo. Will definitely be going back through it later this week to see every option. Seeing Conway be taken away actually startled me with how quick the pan to the boat is even though I saw it coming. Poor guy

Seeing End of Act IV just made me upset cus it'll probably be another year before I get to see the end of this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kentucky Route Zero is always weird for me because I both want to see everything I missed, and feel like I shouldn't at the same time.

Don't know if all the stuff I obviously missed this time will change that, but I haven't replayed any earlier chapters yet, much as I love the game. Just feels like I should... live with my decisions, I guess.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Aw goddammit, I bought the game and played through the first three acts a couple weeks ago, and now act four's out, and now I'm in love and it's gonna be another year before it's finished. It's too late to leave you now. :argh:

Conway left Blue behind, this isn't how things should be. :cry:

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
I'm gonna have to play this act twice, aren't I

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

abardam posted:

I'm gonna have to play this act twice, aren't I

Looks that way.

I loving love this game. I don't want to play through Act IV again, though, because I like having made my desicion on character motivations, but I also know I missed a lot of scenes.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Looks that way.

I loving love this game. I don't want to play through Act IV again, though, because I like having made my desicion on character motivations, but I also know I missed a lot of scenes.

You can always use a new save slot!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
is the game done now or is there another act coming that will arrive in approximately 50 years

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Coolguye posted:

is the game done now or is there another act coming that will arrive in approximately 50 years

There were 5 planned acts, come back sometime before the heat death of the universe to see this game through.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

choobs posted:

You can always use a new save slot!

Don't you have to replay the whole game? You can't copy over your save.

Somehow in my game Conway joins the the Purple Clan from Indigo Prophesy, and that is how is story ends, is that always going to be the case?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I love this game but there's no way I can keep track of a narrative like this over several years. I'm going to go through it when it's done.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Narrative is great but pales compared to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAUonsYhVU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

double nine posted:

That scene blew my mind when I played it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I somehow missed/forgot about Junebug and Johnny's origins in Act III, so I was a little confused by the sounds they made while walking.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

double nine posted:

I mean if that's going to be the game's high point I would be fine with that, because its a fricking hell of a high point.

Paracelsus posted:

I somehow missed/forgot about Junebug and Johnny's origins in Act III, so I was a little confused by the sounds they made while walking.
Yeah, it can be easy to miss because if I remember right they don't even really explicitly say that they're escaped robots from the mines.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 23, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

I mean if that's going to be the game's high point I would be fine with that, because its a fricking hell of a high point.

Can someone explain why that scene is so good?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Cause it is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A few reasons. I dunno if you ever played the interstitial episode "The Entertainment," but it built up Junebug's performance in the bar a lot - the characters spent so much time sitting around and talking about it that the first 9/10's of the game felt like Waiting for Godot. So when she finally does perform (and it's now in a bar where no one even knows who she is or cares what she does, which fits with KR0's generally resigned tone), we finally get to see what the big deal is, and it's this huge, dreamlike setpiece where the whole bar peels itself away and we actually get to choose the lyrics to her song and all of the choices mesh together in coherent ways. It's not something I ever saw in a point and click before and it left a huge impression.

That scene and its song also has some pretty heavy thematic implications for the game as a whole - it's not just "here's a pretty thing, now let's go on to the next scene." Episode 3 is where KR0's larger themes really start pulling together, as all of the characters and Conway especially are mired in debt, disappointment, and missed chances. The beginning of the episode shows us that Conway is so fanatical about making this delivery because he let down the family that took his worthless, drunken hide in, and returned only to find two of those people dead and the survivor falling apart with grief and senility. He's making the antique company's last delivery because he wants to make up for his mistake and show his gratitude to the people he left behind. But like the song goes, it's too late, it's too late.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone else think the Hard Times Distillery IOU from Act III is gonna be important when Act V finally comes out?

Also, I would put money on the song for Act V being "Will The Circle Be Unbroken". All the songs so far have had to do with either home or death, and that one has both.

Also, the reason "It's Too Late To Love You" is so great is the reason this game is so great- you pick the dialogue/lines. Things basically stay the same, but it's like a video game Rorshach test. I know having an alcoholic dad changed how I played Conway in acts I-III, and then act IV was realistic but still made me feel like poo poo. I was going through a rough breakup when I played Act III, and it totally changed the lines I picked for the song.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 4, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They're releasing a Junebug album.

I wish this thread was more active :(

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 26, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'mma gonna buy it when its up.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I want more Bed quilt ramblers. But my understanding is they were a bit of a one off.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I haven't played Act IV yet. If Junebug's performance is what held up Act III, does Act IV have any setpieces or other content that justify its even longer delay, or was it just because of How The Developers Is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

BiggerJ posted:

I haven't played Act IV yet. If Junebug's performance is what held up Act III, does Act IV have any setpieces or other content that justify its even longer delay, or was it just because of How The Developers Is?
Act IV is the boat trip from Apocalypse Now.

• Locked thread