Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

lol that is the dumbest meta I have ever heard of, how can you possibly think anyone is going to ever consider and accept that as fact

Hey, I haven't played all that many games, but every single time I've claimed on D1, it's been the truth. It doesn't mean that I always claim on D1 and it doesn't mean that I will always be telling the truth on D1, but as of right now, every time I have claimed on D1 it's been the truth. So instead of immediately attacking me when I make my claim here on D1 at a point when there is absolutely no reason for scum to even make a vanilla claim, wouldn't it be wiser to consider it the truth and then judge me on my actual actions in trying to find scum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Hey, I haven't played all that many games, but every single time I've claimed on D1, it's been the truth. It doesn't mean that I always claim on D1 and it doesn't mean that I will always be telling the truth on D1, but as of right now, every time I have claimed on D1 it's been the truth. So instead of immediately attacking me when I make my claim here on D1 at a point when there is absolutely no reason for scum to even make a vanilla claim, wouldn't it be wiser to consider it the truth and then judge me on my actual actions in trying to find scum?

lol

Also every time someone did judge you on anything else your only defense was that you claimed VT already, so once again you're full of poo poo.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

TMM is mechanically in the right here imo but I can't really talk this game

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

lol

Also every time someone did judge you on anything else your only defense was that you claimed VT already, so once again you're full of poo poo.

Until I actually play a game where I lie about a claim on D1, why would you automatically assume I'm lying?

You flat out refused to vote for Ecco because 'She would never ever kill her scumbud'. So since I haven't ever lied about a claim on D1 yet, why don't I get that benefit? You're the one holding a double standard.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Yo TMM not to dogpile but your game analysis and conclusions were on point but you couldn't seal the deal but convincing people. You can be as right as peanut butter and bananas but if you can't convince people, you will still lose.

People are saying you were coming off as abrasive and irritating, and that makes it really hard to convince people that you are right, which is the other half of the game and not something you can neglect.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Like your approach seems to be to try to just holler until you get your way, which really only works if you're funny and pleasant while doing it

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
(he also exclusively cased people who cased him; let's not pretend like he had a great analytical mind behind his deductions)

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I mean tmm you didn't lose the town the game (nor did asiina you goober) but you were pretty objectively terrible for the town and perhaps in the future rather than fight everyone who tells you to change your posting maybe you should consider changing? Just a suggestion from your good ole pal Ecco.

ok goodbye everyone good game again anon thanks kashuno and keane for humoring the Raven Gambit as I am calling it and I hope you all do too okay bye!!!

:vapes:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Let's not also forget that I was fighting against two active scum and Asiina who wasn't even going to consider Ecco anyway. The other people were all pretty much lurking.

And casing people that are casing me is not a bad thing Ecco and it was blown out of proportion since the four people that were attacking me were also the four people I found the scummiest. I had Cpig and Taste as town early and was fairly sure about Opop and Hiip too.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Essentially, we were all competing for the attention of 100Yrs.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, it's not like I hate Asiina or anyone, I just like to air my thoughts about this specific game and then move on.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I mean I fully disagree with Ecco that TMM's deduction wasn't extremely strong, but yes convincing people is half the game of mafia. I think there's a good reason whether or not I'm scum or town I can get to -1 and still not end up being lynched that day

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Sounds like you guys need more drugs.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's not inherently a reflection on a player if they can't convince town

Town can be dumb as rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TMMadman posted:

Essentially, we were all competing for the attention of 100Yrs.

Well I'm a sucker for friendliness to the point that I can easily give a strong town bias to players I just inherently like as people. No it's not good play by my part but that's just my nature. So even if Ecco had the un-countered vig claim going for him, I just like Ecco and it was easier for me and made my happier to think he was just town anyway.

You were fun to play with and I have nothing against you and in fact would play with you again, but like Keane said work on persuading people. You mentioned earlier you had no idea what I was thinking. I feel that people often don't (as seen I have a very strange way of seeing things), so it's my job to get them around to that argument. Sometimes, as in your case, brow beating can work, but more often than not it'd only do so with apathetic lurkers. I try to convince people by posting my evidence and going through it as meticulously as I can so the narrative I've managed to create in my mind can be fully road-mapped. After that if people see what I'm building towards, all they need to do is judge my motivations.

You do do this, but you fail in to consider the weak points of your arguments. Some people call it equivocating, but I think it's important to acknowledge where your argument may fall apart. Understanding that your not infallible also helps garner empathy from others, I find.

For example taking your town claim, perhaps you've yet to lie when doing it, but the possibility remains it could happen. Also, a lot of people toss around vanilla claims, it's not uncommon for them to be lies. If you want to make it your meta, then so be it (I don't think we'd ever played before together), but do realize why there may've been obstacles for understanding it.

Anyway! If anyone wants to give advice on how not to wholly mis-read people I'd love some.

• Locked thread