Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I'm going to say that Powderific and Red have done a phenomenal job with survival/camping gear suggestions. I love the outdoors and basically they've hit all of the good points that aren't super specific to a person.

So instead cuntvalent I make a suggestion for your boyfriend's gift to him. I was looking into fishing reels, but those are extremely personal to the fisher. Whether they want tight or loose casting, reeling, salt, fresh, on and on. They also get pretty expensive. So instead, how about if he just takes care of the reels that he has with a nice, well priced Reel Cleaning Kit? Since he clearly likes working with his hands, this would be a nice meditative exercise. And probably help his fishing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just my opinion but smartwool makes better socks then fox river. Not that FR socks are bad it is just smartwool is where it is at.

On headlamps petzl makes the best quality lamps in my experience for the price. The tikka 2 is my favorite lamp currently.

Also a headlamp is the best gift for any guy, especially one who likes to work on cars or a house or spend time outside. I have a headlamp with me basically all the time. I am on a plane and it is in my backpack right now.

A nice knife is always useful for an outdoor person too. I use mine constantly (a foldable Gerber)

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

spwrozek posted:

Just my opinion but smartwool makes better socks then fox river. Not that FR socks are bad it is just smartwool is where it is at.

Truth.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

spwrozek posted:

Smartwool is great, too - they tend to be softer, I think. Fox River stuff, for me, is just insane in what the material does.

Under Armor isn't bad, but all of their socks tend to show their age fairly soon.

I'm kind of curious about Darn Tough, myself.

Also: Avoid any generic brands of hiking socks. They're stocked at K-Mart for a reason.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have darn tough dress socks for winter. They are super good.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I've never had any Darn Tough socks myself, but they have a lifetime guarantee! That's very impressive.

Red posted:

Also: Avoid any generic brands of hiking socks. They're stocked at K-Mart for a reason.

I bought cheap non-merino wool hiking socks once and wore them exactly once. Oh, the itching... :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

you were warned posted:

I bought cheap non-merino wool hiking socks once and wore them exactly once. Oh, the itching... :(

I bought some off brand at K-Mart years ago, and they literally came apart at the seams after a month.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Who is your giftee: My Niece
Budget: $75 CAD
Giftee's age: 3
Known likes/interests: Coloring, Megablocks, Disney Stuff
Known hates/allergies: N/A
Type of gift you are looking for: Hopefully educational and fun.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: She loved the megablocks. We've also gotten her a customized story book based on her name

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Red posted:

I'm kind of curious about Darn Tough, myself.

After thousands of miles backpacking, I cry when I wear something other than Darn Tough no show tab light cushion socks. Darn tough is awesome and a million times better than smartwool and ice breaker (just the last two larger name brand socks I've worn).

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
This is more focused on presentation than content, but does anyone have any ideas on how to make a physical gift out of a Steam game? Last year I got printed screenshots of the game in the seller's inventory wrapped around a chocolate bar, but I thought I'd see if any better ideas come up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Iamyourking posted:

This is more focused on presentation than content, but does anyone have any ideas on how to make a physical gift out of a Steam game? Last year I got printed screenshots of the game in the seller's inventory wrapped around a chocolate bar, but I thought I'd see if any better ideas come up.

Does it have to be a specific game? You could always get a Steam Gift Card.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
I could, but that would be defeating the purpose. I want to give specific games, just in a better way than only sending it to them.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

m.hache posted:

Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: She loved the megablocks. We've also gotten her a customized story book based on her name

3 year olds are pretty easy. Because exactly as you said, their hates are N/A. They'll love pretty much anything. Especially if she loves coloring, there are so many coloring options especially for kids. Or if you don't want to buy it, make your own crayons! You could even do it with her. She might find that fun.

If she really likes building, I'm getting my 3 year old newphew these Stackadoos for Christmas this year.

But I think she'll like whatever. Young kids are great like that.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Iamyourking posted:

I could, but that would be defeating the purpose. I want to give specific games, just in a better way than only sending it to them.

What kind of game is it? Is it a game about spaceships? Give them a miniature spaceship. If it's a medieval game, put it in a castle. Just find a toy/action figure, or if you want to be classier, a model/collecible, of whatever represents the game the best and put the logo for the game atop it. Or in it if you can manage it. Then the person can proudly display the widget on his/her desk while they play all day. And it is a nice reminder of the gift.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

m.hache posted:

Target has these tiny plush Disney characters called Tsum Tsums. Google 'em - they have tons of the things for cheap. You could get her a pile of those.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

m.hache posted:

Grab some Essential Fantastic Four, or pick up some of the other comic book essentials. They're usually printed on cheap newspaper, so letting a kid go apeshit on a comic book isn't that big of a deal. And it helps teach them to read.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Who is your giftee: Dude in my vidjya games clan
Budget: $25 American shekels
Giftee's age: 39
Known likes/interests: Deadpool, booze, music, jerky, is a combat veteran
Known hates/allergies: None
Type of gift you are looking for: This is a somewhat white elephant Secret Santa thing where most of us are expecting a dildo by default
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: I was thinking of that Duluth underwear that dad gay so what was talking about in GBS last week because it's something that I wouldn't want to spend that money on myself, but would like to be able to try them out if received as a gift and "haha underwear" and he seems like he's into that whole mans vibe. Yay or no way?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Stinky_Pete posted:

Who is your giftee: Dude in my vidjya games clan
Budget: $25 American shekels
Giftee's age: 39
Known likes/interests: Deadpool, booze, music, jerky, is a combat veteran
Known hates/allergies: None
Type of gift you are looking for: This is a somewhat white elephant Secret Santa thing where most of us are expecting a dildo by default
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: I was thinking of that Duluth underwear that dad gay so what was talking about in GBS last week because it's something that I wouldn't want to spend that money on myself, but would like to be able to try them out if received as a gift and "haha underwear" and he seems like he's into that whole mans vibe. Yay or no way?

https://www.theworstthingsforsale.com

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
You guys are amazing, yet again. Thank you, seriously. I don't know much about outdoor stuff so you helped a lot.

Especially the Reel cleaning kit. I'm gonna pick that up and have the bf pay me back. What a great idea! :)

Seriously I can't thank you all enough!

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

That's a different one

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc
I for the life of me haven't been able to find this small, blue, translucent, light-up buddha.

My wife has been on the lookout for years, as she had it in her first car. I've Googled 25 pages deep with various keyboards and haven't found anything. Will you please help me find one?!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I need this thread!:

Who is your giftee: Father-in-Law
Budget:$100-200, Approximately
Giftee's age: 65-70
Known likes/interests: Handywork, trains, booze
Known hates/allergies: Dandiness
Type of gift you are looking for: A turntable that can easily burn a vinyl record to a CD
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Whiskey, various tools

Basically, what's the best possible turntable I can buy for someone who doesn't really want to fuss with a computer?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Who is your giftee: Stepbrother and his wife
Budget: $25-$30 USD, I am le poor
Giftee's age: Mid 30s
Known likes/interests: He likes trivia (Big Jeopardy fan, can trounce anybody at 6 Degrees of [insert name here], etc), being smart, cooking maybe? She likes hand-crafted things, knitting, music. Both enjoy gothic-steampunk stuff, Edgar Allan Poe, and dry wit.
Known hates/allergies: I think she might be vegetarian?
Type of gift you are looking for: Something practical but funny/quirky. Think themed salt and pepper shakers, or matching ugly sweaters.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Handmade jewelry (for SIL), philosophical or poetry books (for brother), Target gift cards.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Faerunner posted:

Who is your giftee: Stepbrother and his wife
Budget: $25-$30 USD, I am le poor
Giftee's age: Mid 30s
Known likes/interests: He likes trivia (Big Jeopardy fan, can trounce anybody at 6 Degrees of [insert name here], etc), being smart, cooking maybe? She likes hand-crafted things, knitting, music. Both enjoy gothic-steampunk stuff, Edgar Allan Poe, and dry wit.
Known hates/allergies: I think she might be vegetarian?
Type of gift you are looking for: Something practical but funny/quirky. Think themed salt and pepper shakers, or matching ugly sweaters.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Handmade jewelry (for SIL), philosophical or poetry books (for brother), Target gift cards.

Philosophers, Poe, quirky... http://www.philosophersguild.com/

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Genius. Thank you!

ishootudie
Dec 12, 2003

Who is your giftee: My Sister
Budget: $50
Giftee's age: 30
Known likes/interests: Hiking, Climbing (indoor and outdoor), Traveling
Known hates/allergies: Vegetarian, things that don't work in the UK
Type of gift you are looking for: I live in the US, she lives in the London. It needs to be something that can be used in the UK, and can go back with her in her suitcase. Those are the main criteria.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Past gifts were climbing rope bags, gift cards to a gym she likes in the UK (which was a pain trying to buy internationally). She is also getting married next summer so something that can be used toward that might be good too, or something she can use during her week over here in the US. Things for climbing are rough, since they seem to be very specific and in the past entailed her basically sending me a link to what she wanted, which she has not done this year. I am open to all suggestions!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Red posted:

I need this thread!:

Who is your giftee: Father-in-Law
Budget:$100-200, Approximately
Giftee's age: 65-70
Known likes/interests: Handywork, trains, booze
Known hates/allergies: Dandiness
Type of gift you are looking for: A turntable that can easily burn a vinyl record to a CD
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Whiskey, various tools

Basically, what's the best possible turntable I can buy for someone who doesn't really want to fuss with a computer?

You've been so helpful in this thread that I really want to help with this query, but I have no idea about such things. So instead I offer you a link that you have probably already found: http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/what-s-the-simplest-way-i-can-convert-vinyl-records-to-mp3s-579712/

Goonspeed.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

ishootudie posted:

Who is your giftee: My Sister
Budget: $50
Giftee's age: 30
Known likes/interests: Hiking, Climbing (indoor and outdoor), Traveling
Known hates/allergies: Vegetarian, things that don't work in the UK
Type of gift you are looking for: I live in the US, she lives in the London. It needs to be something that can be used in the UK, and can go back with her in her suitcase. Those are the main criteria.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Past gifts were climbing rope bags, gift cards to a gym she likes in the UK (which was a pain trying to buy internationally). She is also getting married next summer so something that can be used toward that might be good too, or something she can use during her week over here in the US. Things for climbing are rough, since they seem to be very specific and in the past entailed her basically sending me a link to what she wanted, which she has not done this year. I am open to all suggestions!

There are a few good posts about general hiking related gear starting at the bottom of page two if you want to look at that.
Some ideas for climbing related products for the climber who already has everything: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=7997
It might also be fun to go on a few hikes while she is visiting. That's something she can't do while she's in the UK. Hopefully you live near some cool spots.
Subscription to a bridal magazine? http://www.brides.com or http://www.marthastewartweddings.com

Just some ideas to help you get started.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Who is your giftee: Dad
Budget: $50-$75
Giftee's age: 60
Known likes/interests: Working at work, working at home, working in the yard, watching the episodes of NCIS that rerun on cable over-and-over, random tech gadgets that meet his arbitrary definition of "useful"
Known hates/allergies: Sugar, anything he can't easily return and buy whatever it is he wants instead, doesn't drink at all, Kindle, Chromecast, and every other tech doo-dad I can think of in my price range
Type of gift you are looking for: Anything
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Sodastream

Red
Apr 15, 2003

a friendly penguin posted:

You've been so helpful in this thread that I really want to help with this query, but I have no idea about such things. So instead I offer you a link that you have probably already found: http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/what-s-the-simplest-way-i-can-convert-vinyl-records-to-mp3s-579712/

Goonspeed.

That's not a bad resource at all - the wife and her brother decided to go in on a $300 TEAC stereo that has a turntable and CD-RW drive built in, so I think they're set.

Rosalind posted:

Known likes/interests: Working at work, working at home, working in the yard, watching the episodes of NCIS that rerun on cable over-and-over, random tech gadgets that meet his arbitrary definition of "useful"
Known hates/allergies: Sugar, anything he can't easily return and buy whatever it is he wants instead, doesn't drink at all, Kindle, Chromecast, and every other tech doo-dad I can think of in my price range

This is one of those times when you don't want to give someone a gift card, but... what else can you do? A Home Depot card in this device might be fun: http://www.amazon.com/Maze-Brainteaser-Puzzle-Unlocks-Compartment/dp/B004U6TIAI/ - make him work for the gift. :)

Another option might be a small mini-fridge. My dad has one he keeps in the garage so he can have cold bottled water/gatorade after mowing the lawn. If you go that route, buy him a six-pack of those old-timey looking classic glass-bottled Santa Claus-themed Coca Cola to go inside.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rosalind posted:

Depending on the kind of working on things he does, inspection cameras are a kindof useful tech doodad. I have a Ryobi one I got for something around $70 on sale. Doesn't look like it's on sale right this second, but there's also a Rigid one at Home Depot that looks decent.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Time for last minute Xmas gifts... these are my biggest challenges right now, I think I've got everyone else figured out. Would really appreciate any help. I'm usually good with gift giving but as you can all guess these people are somewhat difficult!

Who is your giftee: My cousin
Giftee's age: 20
Known likes/interests: Final Fantasy XIV and literally nothing else. Truly nothing else.
Known hates/allergies: He feels apathetic about almost everything. He definitely hates anything his dad likes (guns, alcohol, golf, cycling, sports, home improvement).
Type of gift you are looking for: Anything at all, including gift cards. Our worst case scenario is just to give him cash money and a box of homemade cookies.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: We got him a Razr MMO gaming mouse for his birthday and that went over well. Aside from that, he liked when we made a bunch of homemade cookies/candies a few years ago. His parents are getting him a PS4 so we could get him a game or PSN credits, but he won't be getting the PS4 until the next day so either of those would ruin the surprise of his parents' gift.

Who is your giftee: My mom
Giftee's age: 56
Known likes/interests: Cycling, cooking/home goods, drinking wine, cosmetics to an extent, nail polish
Known hates/allergies: She is not into fashion really at all, or decorative home items. She is all about function and utility.
Type of gift you are looking for: Anything she would like, she can be difficult.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Kindle, a cute top from Anthropologie that she didn't like at all at first but has ended up wearing all the goddamn time, an Epicurean cutting board. Candles have been received OK in the past but she almost never burns them.

Who is your giftee: My sister
Budget: $75
Known likes/interests: Kpop, a mix of Korean/hip/goth fashion, video games (esp Binding of Isaac, Final Fantasy XIV, and Life Is Strange), really soft/cozy things (she is lazy as hell -- for example, she has a onesie and a Spyro kigurumi and wears both at home regularly), hilarious joke items (i.e. anything from The Worst Things for Sale), dogs/cute dog stuff, Korean beauty stuff
Known hates/allergies: Nothing in particular
Type of gift you are looking for: Anything. I was thinking of buying her a gift certificate for sunglasses since she doesn't have any and we live in San Diego, but I'm not sure she will find any she likes at Warby Parker. She has a very specific style.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Fuzzy boots, don't remember what else... she is a poor biology student so something that she normally wouldn't be able to buy for herself would be great.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

dead lettuce posted:

Time for last minute Xmas gifts... these are my biggest challenges right now, I think I've got everyone else figured out. Would really appreciate any help. I'm usually good with gift giving but as you can all guess these people are somewhat difficult!

Who is your giftee: My mom
Giftee's age: 56
Known likes/interests: Cycling, cooking/home goods, drinking wine, cosmetics to an extent, nail polish
Known hates/allergies: She is not into fashion really at all, or decorative home items. She is all about function and utility.
Type of gift you are looking for: Anything she would like, she can be difficult.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Kindle, a cute top from Anthropologie that she didn't like at all at first but has ended up wearing all the goddamn time, an Epicurean cutting board. Candles have been received OK in the past but she almost never burns them.

Here are some ideas for your mother. I'l keep thinking for the other two.
All of them are bike related.
Stylish bags to attach: http://gravelandgrind.com/shop/gear/bags/ This place also has awesome coffee.
Upcycled products made from bike parts?
http://hipcycle.com/all-products?material=4
http://www.alchemygoods.com

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We are getting desperate and time is running out... Since my boyfriend and I both work on Christmas, both sets of parents are coming to our house over the weekend for a small family get together. We have no idea what to get them.

Who is your giftee: My parents and my long term boyfriend's parents.
Budget: $50 - $100, ideally the gifts would be similar in quality and comparison as we will all be together.
Giftee's age: Mid 60s
Known likes/interests: Antiques/collecting, travel, coffee, watching TV, quiet things, local things*, our parents have a lot of the same interests.
Known hates/allergies: Chain-anything (stores or restaurants), being social, alcohol, food that is not healthy/clean, clothing they haven't picked out themselves
Type of gift you are looking for: ANYTHING
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Ideally we want to get them something they can use. Both parent pairs already have everything they need, and since they've collected for years and are actively trying to downsize, we don't want to get them things that will just sit around. The only thing we have so far for all of the Rents is a fancy drinking glass where the proceeds went to charity. Last year they liked the "exotic" coffee we got them, I saw the French Press suggestion but I don't think they would use it. My parents enjoyed a camping package a couple years ago that had fire starters, cards, tin cups, etc in it but they don't need more camping stuff. We've done "recipe in a jar" before where you put stuff in a jar and all they have to do is add water, but that's kind of cheap and it was only three or four years ago. We got my boyfriend's parents a nice bird feeder last year that they really liked. We just want them to utilize our gifts.

*His parents live about 60 miles away from us, and my parents live about 150 miles away, so gift certificates to local places won't apply, but they are supporters of small businesses.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 21, 2015

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

dead lettuce posted:

Who is your giftee: My cousin
Known likes/interests: Final Fantasy XIV and literally nothing else. Truly nothing else.
Known hates/allergies: He feels apathetic about almost everything. He definitely hates anything his dad likes (guns, alcohol, golf, cycling, sports, home improvement).
Type of gift you are looking for: Anything at all, including gift cards. Our worst case scenario is just to give him cash money and a box of homemade cookies.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: We got him a Razr MMO gaming mouse for his birthday and that went over well. Aside from that, he liked when we made a bunch of homemade cookies/candies a few years ago. His parents are getting him a PS4 so we could get him a game or PSN credits, but he won't be getting the PS4 until the next day so either of those would ruin the surprise of his parents' gift.

Any chance you can get his parents to include your idea of credits or games with their gift and say, this is from us and your cousins? And then it'll all get delivered at the same time and everyone gets credit?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

dead lettuce posted:

Who is your giftee: My sister
Budget: $75
Known likes/interests: Kpop, a mix of Korean/hip/goth fashion, video games (esp Binding of Isaac, Final Fantasy XIV, and Life Is Strange), really soft/cozy things (she is lazy as hell -- for example, she has a onesie and a Spyro kigurumi and wears both at home regularly), hilarious joke items (i.e. anything from The Worst Things for Sale), dogs/cute dog stuff, Korean beauty stuff
Known hates/allergies: Nothing in particular
Type of gift you are looking for: Anything. I was thinking of buying her a gift certificate for sunglasses since she doesn't have any and we live in San Diego, but I'm not sure she will find any she likes at Warby Parker. She has a very specific style.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Fuzzy boots, don't remember what else... she is a poor biology student so something that she normally wouldn't be able to buy for herself would be great.

Does she need to be more cozy?!
https://www.perpetualkid.com might have some similar joke items that can actually be useful as opposed to WTFS.

But what I think you should do is get her a Kindle and load it up with a ton of those free self-published kindle books, the worst ones that you can find. Ones with terrible titles like the ones you see on WTFS. for example

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Koivunen posted:

We are getting desperate and time is running out... Since my boyfriend and I both work on Christmas, both sets of parents are coming to our house over the weekend for a small family get together. We have no idea what to get them.

Budget: $50 - $100, ideally the gifts would be similar in quality and comparison as we will all be together.
Known likes/interests: Antiques/collecting, travel, coffee, watching TV, quiet things, local things*, our parents have a lot of the same interests.
Known hates/allergies: Chain-anything (stores or restaurants), being social, alcohol, food that is not healthy/clean, clothing they haven't picked out themselves
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Ideally we want to get them something they can use. Both parent pairs already have everything they need, and since they've collected for years and are actively trying to downsize, we don't want to get them things that will just sit around. The only thing we have so far for all of the Rents is a fancy drinking glass where the proceeds went to charity. Last year they liked the "exotic" coffee we got them, I saw the French Press suggestion but I don't think they would use it. My parents enjoyed a camping package a couple years ago that had fire starters, cards, tin cups, etc in it but they don't need more camping stuff. We've done "recipe in a jar" before where you put stuff in a jar and all they have to do is add water, but that's kind of cheap and it was only three or four years ago. We got my boyfriend's parents a nice bird feeder last year that they really liked. We just want them to utilize our gifts.

*His parents live about 60 miles away from us, and my parents live about 150 miles away, so gift certificates to local places won't apply, but they are supporters of small businesses.

Is there a local resort/cozy lodge nearby? I'm not talking super fancy or anything, but a nice place where you can take them out to brunch and then spend an hour or so chatting on a porch overlooking a beautiful scenic view while everyone enjoys a cup of coffee/hot cocoa? Or maybe you could manage something like this yourself at home?

Then there are the "of the month" clubs where you can get coffee or teas or wines, whatever they might enjoy getting something new of every month. You could get them any of the fun television options that exist these days: Chromecast, Apple TV, Netflix, etc, etc.

You can also purchase livestreaming events for performances. If you knew that they liked goign to the opera or any certain bands, sometimes they have livestreaming of concerts. But you can also purchase tickets to an actual theatre in their home towns online usually easily enough.

Just some thoughts.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Travel and local things? What about tickets/plans for a semi-local day trip - museum, caves, hiking/boating, wine tour, B&B and horseback riding? Pick something that a tourist would be interested in doing if they came to town. Most of that stuff is affordable, fun, and ignored by the locals so it's a perfect gift for people who love to explore and are proud of their area.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Does she need to be more cozy?!
https://www.perpetualkid.com might have some similar joke items that can actually be useful as opposed to WTFS.

But what I think you should do is get her a Kindle and load it up with a ton of those free self-published kindle books, the worst ones that you can find. Ones with terrible titles like the ones you see on WTFS. for example

Oh man Perpetual Kid is a great site, going to bookmark that one. I think I'm just going to get her some nice makeup and a makeup brush she wouldn't normally be able to afford. The marshmallow footwarmers are right up her alley though, those are amazing.

Any chance you can get his parents to include your idea of credits or games with their gift and say, this is from us and your cousins? And then it'll all get delivered at the same time and everyone gets credit?

Got some intel and he already knows about the PS4. We'll get him credits or a copy of the Witcher III. Apparently he played through all of Skyrim at some point so I can add that + Persona to the list of things he likes (grand total of 3 now).

Thanks everyone for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Who is your giftee: my father
Budget: $100-ish, can go up from there for the right thing but he's not terribly ostentatious (also he makes baller cash so anything expensive he's likely already bought himself)
Giftee's age: 59
Known likes/interests: gospel music (particularly like the Brooklyn tabernacle choir), yard decoration / renovation (he's addicted to getting free plants off of Craigslist). Loves Christmas to an almost pathological degree.
Known hates/allergies: not looking for anything in the knife / flashlight / outdoorsy category. I'm the member of the family with those interests and have already outfitted him with the best reasonable stuff.
Type of gift you are looking for: I'll be blunt - my mom has recently passed and all of his grandkids are hundreds of miles away. He's alone in a giant house with his dog. I want something that can give him some physical connection or reminder of his family (not Mom, we've got that covered).
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: the simplest things have often been the best. He really likes a stupid USB Christmas tree I got him off think geek years ago. :shobon:

• Locked thread