Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Kloe Caballero

I was going to become a cop, you know? That's on hold now. Forever, probably. I could do a good job, I think, up until I had to go to a crime scene, or a shootout. Can't think I'd keep my job long when halfway through I'd start licking the blood off the floor. You know, vampires in the stories never got this kind of lovely deal. They all had massive estates and fortunes and noble titles. Or at least a sire who had some. Not me.

Couldn't expect something cushy like that for Kloe Caballero, life never took the easy rode, so why would I expect death to? Yeah, I'm a Vampire. No, I don't sparkle. But am much more powerful after I've fed. It isn't sexy swooning maidens (or whatever the male equivalent of a maiden is) on balconies in skimpy night gowns, more overly drunk people my age stumbling back from the bar, reeking of alcohol.

Yeah, was going to be a cop. Now days I get a bit of cash by doing part time security guard/bouncer/threatening looking person work at the bar. Enough to keep the drinks flowing. Not that they help much. If I get too drunk I lose control and start going after necks, and if I don't drink enough I get thirsty and start going after necks. Of course if I go too long without going after necks or drinking, then I just start remembering dying and I'd rather avoid that if at all possible.

Or if I bring it up, then I start remembering as well. Thanks for that. You want to know? Really? Fine, you asked. I was on my bike. Not in the bike lane, motorcycles can't use those, poo poo, don't you know anything about traffic laws? On my bike, going across the bridge. Used to have a place across the river (The river is the border- our side has no sales tax but a higher income tax, otherwise has a lower income but a sales tax. And last year it was where you could get legal weed) now that I'm making gently caress all I'm over here because it doesn't matter. I'm not on the books on either side, except the obituary listing. Plus I don't know if I can cross the water.

Anyway. Driving across the bridge. Snowing that night. Fuckers don't have a clue how to drive in the snow here. Car comes swerving out of nowhere -well, out of the other lane, really- head on into our lane. Hit a truck first, I just got caught in the metal sandwich. I remember... I was looking at my arm, thinking it wasn't so bad, just a loooong cut along the length, blood everywhere. It didn't hurt, that was the odd thing. And even though it was snowing, it felt... warm. Then I looked down. I tried to laugh then. All that came out was a sort of gurgling. And a lot of blood. Some...thing metal. Parts of a car. Sticking out of my chest. I... tried to pull it out. Nothing. I laughed again, and this time I coughed up enough blood that I could actually make the croaking noise. The warmth was spreading through me, my vision was getting blurry. The last thing I remembered was... tipping my head down, the biggest piece of metal was far enough through that I could reach it with my face. I... licked the blood up. That's what I remember the most. The salty taste on my lips as everything went black.

It helps if someone causes trouble. Or tries to drag off a drunk chick. Or drunk guy really, both genders do it. But then I don't have to feel so bad about dragging them into a dark alley and having a drink myself. That doesn't happen often enough though. Most of the crowd are regulars, and most of the bad ones have been driven off by now. Maybe I should try pulling some of the classic moves out of the vampire book. Ugh.

The Ghoul posted:

Name: Kloe Caballero
Look: predatory, hungry eyes
Origin: newly reborn

Stats
Hot: 0
Cold: +1
Volatile: +1
Dark: -1

Moves
The Hunger
You have a Hunger for Blood.
Having sex with Callista.

When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

The Feeding
You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time they’ve ever been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two:
~ you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
~ you carry 1 forward,
~ they don’t die.

Marked for the Hunt
When you feed on someone, you establish a close bond with them. When you gaze into the abyss concerning their whereabouts or well being, roll as if you had Dark 3.

Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
~ heal one harm;
~ remove a Condition;
~ mark experience;
~ carry 1 forward.

Inescapable
You may spend a String on someone to demand that they not walk out on you. If they still do, gain 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Advances
@: Offskin Move: Inescapable
@: Skin Move: Satiety

Backstory
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.

You’re beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.

1. Another frequent attendee of the Flying Monkey Bar.

Janis, not sure what her last name is. She's there almost every night, sitting in the same seat at the end of the bar, writing. I think she probably takes classes at one of the campuses, but I've never talked to her. Actually, I've never seen anyone talk to her, except the bartender to give her a fresh drink. I've seen people look, but never do anything. She has this... aura... of distance. Like she's out of reach.

I've never talked to her. But I know her name is Janis. Did someone tell me that? Everyone knows it. But how?

2. A person or place with a reputation in or around Portland.

This...

place.

The Aristocrats.

Ugh. I don't even know how anyone can stand to go in there, let alone eat. Just looking in the window is enough to make my sick to my stomach and I don't even eat food anymore. But, its a really popular place with the remaining elderly population of Portland. Apparently its 'quirky'. Which is old person for weird, I guess. The odd thing is the people you see inside are always there. Uh. They don't live there. But if you go by at say, noon, you'll see the same group of people, same seats, every noon. If you go by at 6, no matter what day, it'll be the same different group of people, same seats. Sometimes a new person will show up, but they'll be there with the rest of their group from then on. Maybe the food is actually really good?

3. A rumor going around that your character finds interesting.
Tomorrow

4. Why DO you hang out at the Flying Monkey so much, and why would it be difficult for you to stop doing so?
I've sort of said it already, but, well. Most places are keen on handing over cash to a regular patron for helping security if it comes to it. So I'd be out my money for one. Second, people know me. Most bars around here, a heavy drinking 24 year old girl shows up with no one she knows, theres going to be trouble. And I prefer to keep my trouble outside of the bar. Third, I know people. So a new person shows up, I know they're a safer target if I really need to drink. And I know if a regular is looking to get blacked out. Finally, I just feel more at home here. I've spent most of my 'new' life here, so... I don't really know what I'd do, or where I'd go if I left.

5. Optionally, a title for the game thread, because otherwise it's gonna be Slackerhearts and we (collectively) can do better than that.
Monsters vs The World

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Post has Violence and Suicide in it.

Rauri posted:

EVERYONE
Where do you live, and do you have any roommates? How do you usually get around town? How old are you? (Feel free to leave roommate slots open if you’re hoping to room with another PC or something, but some people have already described and I’d like to get a general idea of what you have in mind for your PC.)

Kloe Caballero, the Ghoul
What’s the worst you’ve ever hurt someone at the bar? How about not at the bar? What helps you relax? What do you think most people at the bar think of you?

How old am I? Twenty.... four... Kind of. It took a bit to work out, but the first time I came back I'd been dead for about... four months. So if we just count time I've spent alive, I'm still in year twenty three. But I don't really want to start counting from four months after my birthday since that'd be really confusing. And a little unsettling to be doing like a death date count or something. But yeah, the first time I died -in the accident- I got a full funeral, burial, all that, and woke up in a cemetery four months later. You know -gimme another drink will you- dying in a car accident is pretty low, but I'm not sure if was nearly as bad as waking up in the dark, in a casket, under six feet of earth, and having to dig your way out, starving and confused. Another drink.

Thanks.

So I pulled myself out of the ground and went stumbling off to find something to eat. Didn't get far- maybe a block from the graveyard, when I found someone. Must have looked scary, covered in gravemud, blood dripping off my hands where I cut them open bashing my way out of my coffin. The first person to see me stared, screamed, started to run. Tripped, scraped their knees. Got up and ran again. And I... oh god, they smelled so good. The blood from the scrap it smelled so good and I was so hungry. So hungry. Four months in the grave. I chased him down. That first bite tasted so good. I accidentally let go after the first taste. He ran again. I caught him. Got free again. Smashed me in the head with a lead pipe. I barely even felt it, the taste of his blood in my mouth was so wonderful. I drank and drank and didn't notice how weak he was getting until it was almost too late. Found his phone, called 911 and ran, blood soaking my mouth and clothes. Found a building. Climbed the fire escape. Tossed myself off- I landed on a wooden fence. Guess it isn't true about stakes. Didn't take four months that time. Couple days, maybe a week. Gets shorter every time.

Double. Gimme a double.

What else? Something normal. Get around, yeah. Well my old bike -motorcycle- got flattened in the accident. Tried the buses once. Mistake. Too many people, too likely someone has a fresh cut. The smell. Went on foot for awhile, until I saved up enough for another bike. When I put the helmet on, flap the visor down and start burning rubber, the world melts away. The person in the car next to me could be bleeding all over and I wouldn't notice. Just me and the blur of lights going by.

Worst I've hurt someone at the bar? Hmm. Glenda. Used to think she was Top Dog around here. Top Monkey? Wicked Witch, I guess if we're sticking with the theme. I'd been going here, what, a couple weeks maybe? I think so. Anyway- stuck the back or sides, kept quiet. Just wanted to drown my troubles, not go looking for more. Well, people like her think people like that can't take trouble. Easy pickings, yeah?

Well I was playing a game of pool with someone else, dunno who. Glenda comes over, thinking she can shove us out of the way, get her on game on. My drinking buddy was all for it. Nah. I was on edge, I'd stolen some blood from a blood drive. Doesn't help much. Sort of like eating chips? You feel full but still have that hungry edge. Bloods gotta be warm and fresh to really do the job. Maybe if I'd heated it up... Point is. On edge. She tries to gently caress with me, play a little Kloe in the middle. I'd had it after about three shoves. Broke the pool cue over her stupid face. Chucked the 8 ball into the head of one of her friends, smashed a second into the pool table, tossed my drink into the eyes of the third one and added a knee to his crotch for good measure.

Glenda was getting to her feet, I grabbed her by the collar, held her up to my face. The cue had broken when I hit her, cuts on her cheek. I licked the blood off nice and slow, savoring the taste. I could barely hold myself back, if I hadn't had that cold blood before, I don't think I could have. She could see it in my eyes, the urges I was forcing down. I told her to run and never to come back. She did. I took their drinks and went off back to my corner to finish them.

Driving off Glenda got me a few friends, and the show I'd made of it lost me a few. Well, not that they'd been them before, but it salted the earth anyway. Expect most people at the bar thing I'm a bit nutty. "Oh, Kloe, she's alright, just don't get on her bad side." Sorta thing. But you know, none of us are really here for choosing, are we? And most of us have plenty of troubles to drown. So long as I don't go picking the fights no one has much to complain about. Still, the story hangs around, which is probably why most of the people giving me looks (the good and the bad kinds) don't try to make a move. Sure do like to look though.

I live a couple blocks from the bar. Ratty place, but not a bad enough neighborhood that I have to worry about someone killing someone out side my window and the blood driving me mad or something. Sharing an apartment with a couple roommates, we've got our own rooms thank god and I told them the smell of blood makes me ill so to be sure to clean up if they cut themselves or anything. Second floor room, I managed to snag the room with the little balcony, even though it comes with the smallest bedroom area (about big enough for a bed and nothing else). That way if I come in a mess I can just leap up to my room and let myself in. Don't have to trouble the others with a bloody Kloe coming through.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Rauri posted:

Round 2 Questions
Kloe Caballero, the Ghoul
What would you be willing to do to go back to normal, somehow? Do you ever find yourself rooting for horror movie antagonists? What's your lovelife been like since the incident? What's your most melancholy memory?

What would I? What wouldn't I do you mean? No... There are things I wouldn't do. But there are a lot more things I would. Would I kill someone? Yes. Definitely. I'm going to before long accidentally if this keeps up, I know. So why not get it over with, limit the damage. Would a normal person kill someone so they could live? I think so. Maybe not everyone, but most people. Humans are selfish. Ask another person if they'd do something to stay alive, and if they tell the truth their answer will probably be the same as mine.

Wow. gently caress off! Just because I act like a slasher villain doesn't mean I support them.

Okay yeah, I do. BUT! That isn't new! Even before I died, the protagonists of horror movies always drove me crazy! They're so dumb! LETS SPLIT UP DUUURH. I wonder what might be in this DARK UNLIT BASEMENT. We should go hang out with the family of creepy cannibals! I should run away screaming loudly in high heels! We better go back for the guy in the wheelchair! I always hoped the villains would win.

What's my love life been like? Try non-existent. Not strictly true. I tried a couple times. You know, I thought maybe a boyfriend would distract me? Nope. Nothing quite like making out and having a sudden, overpowering urge to sink your fangs into their neck. First time I managed to pass it off as over-eager biting. Second time I forced it down and ran away. Haven't tried since. You know what the worst part is though? Before I was driven to biting the necks of my dates, I'd have killed to have people be was interest in me as they are now. Something to do with being a vampire? Or maybe the gloomy aura of suppressed desires attracts people in Portland. I'd believe it.

The most melancholy moment? The second time I came back. I thought I was in another grave at first. Couldn't see anything when I opened my eyes. But I moved, and the mortician's sheet fell off. That wasn't the melancholy part. Just setting up the moment. It was night time, no one was around, so I got up and left. My functions hadn't really come back by then, so I was a bit stumbley, eyes blury whenever I looked in at one of the bright windows of the cafes and pubs and stripclubs. Eventually I went over to a starbucks, and took a look at one of the newspapers to see the date. I'd briefly seen it the first time I came back, but this time I actually sat down and did the math. Four months the first time, four days the second. Well. I got up, kept going. I knew where I was going. Across the bridge, back home. 'home.' Ha. When I got there, it was full of strangers. Well, it wasn't like I'd paid four months worth of rent. But that was my melancholy moment. Standing out there in the rainy night, staring in through the lit windows at what used to be my apartment. They even had my TV up where I'd left it. My couch. Strangers, humans, in the light. Me in the darkness. Heavy handed I suppose, but that's my life now.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.
Giving this one to Joanna.

You’re beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.
Going to give this to our resident Snaaaackman Zach.

Neopie posted:

Someone wants you real bad, and doesn't realise what kind of person you are.
Take two strings on them.

Taking this one~ She looks so tastey, Kloe wants to sink her teeth into you. :ohdear:

GodFish fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 9, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Kloe wants to keep Zach in the Dark about her not dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Spending my advance on the Ghoul Move Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
~ heal one harm;
~ remove a Condition;
~ mark experience;
~ carry 1 forward.

• Locked thread