Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ask me about my autistic nerd hipster animes that nobody else watched because they were boring nerd poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

ask me about my autistic nerd hipster animes that nobody else watched because they were boring nerd poo poo

so all anime?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

cat doter posted:

so all anime?

Everyone watches jojos though? Dont pretend u dont its pathetic?

I mean ill grant the autistic nerd hipster parts but dont even try to lie about jojos.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Have you heard of digimon?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

http://youtu.be/mNR4kR1uC-w

This one is also good.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Nathilus posted:

I mean ill grant the autistic nerd hipster parts but dont even try to lie about jojos.

Jojos seemed interesting if not extremely gay. It's for gay men right?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished reading the Battle Angel Alita manga and it was quite good.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
According to a guy I work with every anime is "really well written and has absolutely hilarious things happen in them". One such example is when one person was calling another person a little girl, but she was not in fact a little girl but a 900 year old god of war or something XD XD XD XD XD. Oh man if you want to see hilarious things like that happen then watch all the anime. :)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Nathilus posted:

the most I've seen of jojo is some gif of some dude gargling balls

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

JoJo's is strictly for people with confidence
LoGH is good

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Pitdragon posted:

See you too obviously watch jojos. How else would u know its fabulous? Its ok dude you can be het and still admit liking dick a little bit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jukeboxblues posted:

According to a guy I work with every anime is "really well written and has absolutely hilarious things happen in them". One such example is when one person was calling another person a little girl, but she was not in fact a little girl but a 900 year old god of war or something XD XD XD XD XD. Oh man if you want to see hilarious things like that happen then watch all the anime. :)

do you work at burger king with 16 year olds

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pitdragon posted:

no.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

do you work at burger king with 16 year olds

Nope. The guy is in his mid twenties too. I do construction work, so he is kind of a freak of nature. Pretty sure he has full blow rear end burgers as well.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
He should see a dermatologist

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I liked Gundam 00.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

I just finished reading the Battle Angel Alita manga and it was quite good.

yes. the original manga and last order are very different, but i enjoyed both.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
Welcome to the NHK is about an idiot rear end in a top hat nerd spiraling into depression and isolation. Is very funny.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

PenguinBob posted:

Welcome to the NHK is about an idiot rear end in a top hat nerd spiraling into depression and isolation. Is very funny.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PenguinBob posted:

is that the one with the shut-in who can only relate to people via anime who meets a manic pixie dream girl that like, the japanese government part-funded in the hopes of curbing the plague of hikikomori

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Psycho Pass.

I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. They reference Shakespeare, Phillip K. Dick, Rousseau and many other writers and it's surprisingly cerebral and does Sci-Fi/Detective Noir quite seamlessly.

Attack on Titan is also pretty good. Imagine the conceit of 'War Is Hell' played out over soldiers getting eaten by giants. Binge-watched it with a vet buddy of mine who dislikes anime.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

is that the one with the shut-in who can only relate to people via anime who meets a manic pixie dream girl that like, the japanese government part-funded in the hopes of curbing the plague of hikikomori

If I recall the manic girl was just as hosed up as he was and was looking for someone to fix because she thought that would fix her.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Clipperton posted:

Serial Experiments Lain

This. This show changed me. It is littered with allusions to great science fiction stories, transhumanist writings, Cartesian dualism and early internet culture. The people who made it must have been insanely well read, especially in Western philosophy.

Its avant garde as hell and continues to astound me with its prediction of technology that wouldn't be available for years. Great stuff.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Can y'all recommended me some anime with bad writing

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Fate/Stay Night. Oh, and Attack on Titan, because it's poorly written facist propaganda. Sword Art is also poo poo.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Neurosis posted:

vampire hunter d bloodlust was written in english and is a lot less awkward than most animes as a result

Oh, so that's why it mostly avoided this:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Future Diary, it's on Hulu. Like, 99.2% of anime is lovely but there's something special about this one's shittiness.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

KiteAuraan posted:

Sword Art is also poo poo.

I started watching it last year when I was sick and had a lot of time on my hands because it came highly recommended by a talkative, co-worker of a friend and the idea seemed kind of cool: "People trapped in MMORPG, you die in game, you die in real life."

It started out okay, but then started racking up the lovely cliches:

Everything that transpires always revolves around the protagonists.
The protagonists are not all that interesting.
A protagonist inexplicably develops powers at a crucial moment, powers are never explained.

The show started getting really loving weird when the two main characters have a "child;" and then it was Incest O'clock and Rapes A-hoy! When incest & rape come to the forefront that's when I stop watching. I guess I'm weird like that, and why I only watched the first episode of Gantz and will never watch the last episode of Berserk again (holy poo poo that was a tone shift).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did anyone mention Paranoia Agent yet?

because Paranoia Agent.

speaking of, I just love that drat intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anabfAg06U

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

half-serious answer for gays: Ouran Highschool Host Club.

it's your stock bishie romance thing except that it focuses on how the stereotypes that trashy romance is driven by lead to completely broken people, unable to function in reality or relate to other people or form meaningful bonds. also there's a character in it that's basically a fangirl stand-in that every single other character hates passionately.

also it's got cute bishies in it.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

i almost forgot about Cromartie High School

here is a clip about internet trolling (Super pro-click)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qamgp

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also Nichijou because it's a weird surreal take on highschool girl daily life animes and i loving hate those but i loved Nichijou so they did something right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDHRQLJSA8M

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I thought ergo proxy and the first season of a darker shade of black were p good too. Ergo proxy has huge pacing issues but the first few episodes barely feel like anime at all and the last few are sick too .

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Gurren Lagann is my favorite of all time. A little spoilery, but it's basically about Humanity building a basement universe and ruling the rest of the universe fairly so that none of the plebs destroy themselves, only for the plebs to rise up and destroy their only means of the inevitable destruction of the universe.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Runefaust posted:

Gurren Lagann is my favorite of all time. A little spoilery, but it's basically about Humanity building a basement universe and ruling the rest of the universe fairly so that none of the plebs destroy themselves, only for the plebs to rise up and destroy their only means of the inevitable destruction of the universe.

yeah kinda, but really its about an increasingly large series of robot fights

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

also Nichijou because it's a weird surreal take on highschool girl daily life animes and i loving hate those but i loved Nichijou so they did something right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDHRQLJSA8M

one of the best comedy animes

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
cowboy bebop
satoshi kon
naoki urasawa
ghibli
um
one punch man
king of the hill
ummmmmmmmmm
rick and morty

thats all I can think of

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Millennium Actress made me cry. I like Satoshi Kon's stuff.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thanks a lot thread I watched all 9 eps of one punch on Hulu and then read the manga

I never read manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Thanks a lot thread I watched all 9 eps of one punch on Hulu and then read the manga

I never read manga

read Pluto, it's the best manga ever written cause it's the only manga ive ever read

• Locked thread