Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it got me thinking

so billy joel describes all of the historical events that had developed in the period between 1949 and 1989. a lot of those shaped the world and changed history, with lasting influences. it's a very informative song that benefits from important history in those 40 years

too bad there hasn't been much history post-1989. like between '89 and '01 you had the fall of the U.S.S.R., Oklahoma City bombings, Waco Compound, U.S.S. Cole, etc. some neat history there, but none debatedly to the scope of what occurred between '49 and '61. then 9/11 occurred and nothing much has happened since then that wasn't new technology benefiting lazy millennials and a few oil-driven wars. it makes me think that the more we have access to social media, the less important history is actually occurring and recorded that will be remembered by future generations.

gently caress me and my wandering mind at 2 am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I guess we put the fire out

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Francis Fukuyama called he wants his soiled toilet paper back

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I guess we put the fire out
rather millennials and corporations put the fire out

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
he kinda spends too much time on 50-60s and rushes through the rest, typical boomer

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mariana Horchata posted:

he kinda spends too much time on 50-60s and rushes through the rest, typical boomer
well to be fair, a lot did happen in the 50s and 60s while the 70s was moreso about pop culture fluff than anything. i do agree he rushed through the 80s though.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The columbia shuttle fell apart, I guess that's some fire

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
the next major historical event will be the millenials being wiped out during ww3

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the next major historical event will be the millenials being wiped out during ww3
i would welcome this if i wasn't also a millennial and would therefore also be wiped out

gagelion is back
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot
can you really not think of anything important thats happened since 2002

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Francis Fukuyama called he wants his soiled toilet paper back

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

cool song though. i like parodys of it also

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

gagelion is back posted:

Justin Beiber?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gagelion is back posted:

afghan war
iraq war
london bombings
madrid bombings
findng osama
electing Obama
legalization of gay marriage
columbia explosion
paris shootings
2008 economy collapse

notice how they're almost all either wars, acts of terrorism, or domestic occurrences. that does not bode well.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what year did the avatar series get invented?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dad gay. so what posted:

what year did the avatar series get invented?

like 2008 or something idk

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

duke nukem forever
new star wars
michael jackson died
4chan
reddit
donald trump

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Juggalos came to be

Bronies came to be

Furries came to be

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

if i wasn't in bed i'd bang out a post-1989 version. maybe i'll do that tomorrow.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
so who started the fire anyway? I never got that part.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

symbolic posted:

afghan war
iraq war
london bombings
madrid bombings
findng osama
electing Obama
legalization of gay marriage
columbia explosion
paris shootings
2008 economy collapse

notice how they're almost all either wars, acts of terrorism, or domestic occurrences. that does not bode well.

yeah and the song referrences the cola wars. check ate

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Western hegemony isn't our fault is what Billy Joel is saying. and the middle east deserves to continue to burn forever.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Britney Spears
Titanic film
Janet Jackson Superbowl nip slip
Dolly the sheep
Princess Diana death
Hubble space telescope
SARS
The Passion of the Christ

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Britney Spears
Titanic film
Janet Jackson Superbowl nip slip
Dolly the sheep
Princess Diana death
Hubble space telescope
SARS
The Passion of the Christ

i have some bad news about dolly...

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Despite the name of the album, Taylor Swift's 1989 actually came out in 2014 and that's a pretty big world event. Probably bigger than whatever you nerds are listing

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
America making the middle east a better place and ending terrorism

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Op if you think we are living in less interesting times I would recommend these two books:

The first one presents the idea that the cultural and economic factors that made the the 50's-80's so radically historic have ended and that we are living in a boring age because we've settled the global argument about which forms of government, economics and culture are going to inherent the earth. Those decades were a clash of civilizations, a battle of ideologies, but that all ended at the end of the 80's and the 1990's showed that American style liberal democratic capitalism had won and there is no more room for great historical struggles. He then proceeds to utterly decimate this idea by describing and analyzing the one-two death punch of the short lived era of stability and the idea that we had reached "the end of history". He argues that with the 2001 WTC attacks and 2008 economic crisis, this narrative was torn open, we were once again cast into struggle by the violent intrusions of the Real. He argues that with these two events, we witnessed the end of the assumptions about liberal democratic capitalist hegemony and have once again entered a new era of radical change and upheaval.

The second one he wrote a little later, he describes our system as going through the stages of grief and mourning as we face the end of an era and the forced intrusion into a new one. He describes the ways in which western culture is manifesting the classical stages of grief and then looks forward into the horrifying future and poses questions about problems that are right on our horizon which we currently have no clue how to address since the problems of the new era cannot be viewed through any historical framework as they were never before possible. He addresses the rise of new de facto apartheid systems appearing all over the world (think Elysium), the rising battle between neoliberalism and radical fundamentalism taking place in the void left by the absence of leftism proper, as well as the frightening new possibilities that come with technological developments such as intellectual property issues, communication and privacy, virtual reality, and the frightening terror of trans humanism becoming a real possibility with the increase of biogenetic and computer technology all without any agreed upon moral or ethical standards.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
From 1989 to 2015 we went from a world where only gay nerds used computers to a world where people die over twitter beef lol

gagelion is back
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot
transhumanism sounds loving chill

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

gagelion is back posted:

transhumanism sounds loving chill

Maybe we should figure out how to be properly human before we try skipping ahead

Death to videodrome long live the new flesh

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Business Octopus posted:

From 1989 to 2015 we went from a world where only gay nerds used computers to a world where people die over twitter beef lol

Also we did finally find the beef (its on Twitter)

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

List songs were very popular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

I can't think of a recent one, so, yeah, you better write one already.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Welcome...to the Videodrome...

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I.C. posted:

there was one that was just a list of brands it was really bad

e. it was swedish house mafia

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 28, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

crapple ipoop - 2007

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I.C. posted:

Even in Iraq War time period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16yI2d9sNE

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Steve Jobs passed away and with him, the heart and soul of America

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The next We Didn't Start the Fire/End Of The World As We Know It will be by Weezer.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.C. posted:

one that note,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqpPliNe17E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Ian Malcolm posted:

“[..]Although personally, I think cyberspace means the end of our species."
Yes? Why is that?"
Because it means the end of innovation," Malcolm said. "This idea that the whole world is wired together is mass death. Every biologist knows that small groups in isolation evolve fastest. You put a thousand birds on an ocean island and they'll evolve very fast. You put ten thousand on a big continent, and their evolution slows down. Now, for our own species, evolution occurs mostly through our behaviour. We innovate new behaviour to adapt. And everybody on earth knows that innovation only occurs in small groups. Put three people on a committee and they may get something done. Ten people, and it gets harder. Thirty people, and nothing happens. Thirty million, it becomes impossible. That's the effect of mass media - it keeps anything from happening. Mass media swamps diversity. It makes every place the same. Bangkok or Tokyo or London: there's a McDonald's on one corner, a Benetton on another, a Gap across the street. Regional differences vanish. All differences vanish. In a mass-media world, there's less of everything except the top ten books, records, movies, ideas. People worry about losing species diversity in the rain forest. But what about intellectual diversity - our most necessary resource? That's disappearing faster than trees. But we haven't figured that out, so now we're planning to put five billion people together in cyberspace. And it'll freeze the entire species. Everything will stop dead in its tracks. Everyone will think the same thing at the same time. Global uniformity. [..]”

• Locked thread