Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Osomatsu was a surprise hit for a because I was planning to just watch Young Black Jack and maybe OPM. Also I got a ginormous list of Manga I follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm probably most excited for the Working OVA and will keep an eye out for other stuff as it starts airing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wait, did that ARIA OVA ever come out and/or get subtitled?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

Wait, did that ARIA OVA ever come out and/or get subtitled?

I think it showed in theaters back in September, we're just waiting for a disk release.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Any good manga finish recently? I'm always looking for stuff I can read at work.

Kakukaku Shikajika

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Teppuu finished not long ago, though it's an ending that's also open to a continuation if the author gets in better health. I gotta catch up on that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

Yeah but i usually watch 2 or 3 shows a season and I have impeccable taste. So it means a lot when I say it.
i'll do what i always do, read the anime news network previews where theron martin talks about how horny each anime makes him, and then ignore them and make my own decisions

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh! Going off of previous years, shouldn't we be expecting a Blu-ray release of Hosoda's The Boy and the Beast? Usually his movies debut in the Summer and come out on disk in the Winter after.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 3, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe Funimation is doing screening of it sometime this month. Not sure if it's subbed or dubbed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I believe Funimation is doing screening of it sometime this month. Not sure if it's subbed or dubbed.

Surely there'll be a dub and Western theatrical release at some point? Hosoda's been getting increasing international acclaim as a film-maker with every movie he puts out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'll do what i always do, read the anime news network previews where theron martin talks about how horny each anime makes him, and then ignore them and make my own decisions

Theron is a very important reviewer in the sense that he represents the average anime fan, except wordier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theron is very important in that he is the least fail of all the ANN reviewers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

*travels to leper colony, takes extensive notes, identifies man whose dick is least likely to fall off*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Surely there'll be a dub and Western theatrical release at some point? Hosoda's been getting increasing international acclaim as a film-maker with every movie he puts out.

i'm excited, to see Hosoda's furry dad movie in a big-rear end theatre

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

which turd is the least smelly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

which turd is the least smelly

Endorph posted:

*travels to leper colony, takes extensive notes, identifies man whose dick is least likely to fall off*

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

You say that, but then every so often he comes out with something genuinely skin-crawling, like that 'bitch deserved it' paragraph from his Cross Ange preview. The other reviewers' main faults tend to be shallow reading and point-missing, stuff that reflects on them as reviewers rather than as people.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i read a review of fuse memoirs of a huntress and in that review theron was like "the protagonist isnt hot enough"

e: The character designs are far from the prettiest; in fact, aside from Shino, hardly any character in the movie (the star included) could even be called attractive. Hamaji definitely looks better when she finally wears her hair down late in the movie, but she typically dresses in an unflattering fashion and is depicted with far more prominent hips than one would normally see on an anime leading lady.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dude does not like hips

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

You say that, but then every so often he comes out with something genuinely skin-crawling, like that 'bitch deserved it' paragraph from his Cross Ange preview. The other reviewers' main faults tend to be shallow reading and point-missing, stuff that reflects on them as reviewers rather than as people.

You could just say "he gave Cross Ange a broadly positive review" and call it a day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

that review was pretty dumb but his argument was that it was building up an arc for the protagonist, tearing her down before building her back up, not really 'bitch deserved it.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and i mean, I'd take theron martin's mild creepiness over the argument that F/SN is the most sexist thing to ever exist, or that gatchman crowds supports gamergate.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

gatchman crowds supports gamergate.

...Huh?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yep.

the argument is entirely around that 'you can just turn off the internet' line in S1, which was a really dumb line, but it's a pretty long walk from that to, uh, the other thing.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
"Gatchaman Crowds supports Tyler the Creator"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

that review was pretty dumb but his argument was that it was building up an arc for the protagonist, tearing her down before building her back up, not really 'bitch deserved it.'

quote:

The thing to keep a careful eye on is how the balance of fan service in the series will fall and how much of a distraction that provides to the storytelling, as many aspects of the first episode make abundantly clear that fan service is going to be a staple element. The battle uniforms for the all-female mecha pilots (because Norma are all female, for as-yet-unexplained reasons) are improbably skimpy, the camera certainly seems to ogle them in combat, cleavage-baring clothing for Angelise and her mother are the norm, and oh, yes, there is that one late scene, too, with Angelise being forcibly stripped for her “physical” by a female prison official. While that scene is edgy and probably could have been done in a less fan servicey way, it is not entirely exploitive or gratuitous because a) body cavity searches are a fairly standard prison entry procedure; b) it was karmic justice for Angelise's earlier comments about Norma being “monsters,” and c) the humiliation serves the narrative purpose of stripping her of her lingering princess attitudes. A bigger red flag is the brother's all-too-unsavory-seeming disposition towards the wheelchair-bound younger sister.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh i missed that sentence, nvm then

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

yep.

the argument is entirely around that 'you can just turn off the internet' line in S1, which was a really dumb line, but it's a pretty long walk from that to, uh, the other thing.

There was a bit more to it than that. I don't agree with it, but you're unfairly reducing the argument. Katze is basically the embodiment of Internet malice, so him getting shut away just like that and used as a (reluctant) ally in the second season against a big, creepily-nice Internet hugbox that tried to ban conflict could be seen as a mirror of GG 'u mad, bro?' rhetoric if you really squint. Couple that with a lack of focus on social and economic bigotry and discrimination (if we conveniently ignore stuff like Rui getting deluged with homophobic Internet comments when he tried to take a stand in S2) that could make you feel like the characters were living in a safe, middle-class bubble, particularly if you weren't paying all that much attention, and it becomes much easier to see how someone might get the wrong impression.

As for F/SN, it's an eroge where the women mostly serve to help the male lead develop/grow past/entirely fail to grow past his weirdo ideology. You can disagree on the degree, but it really isn't controversial to say it has sexism problems, particularly given weird, gratuitous poo poo like the rape-worms and Caster's torture of Saber.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

There was a bit more to it than that. I don't agree with it, but you're unfairly reducing the argument. Katze is basically the embodiment of Internet malice, so him getting shut away just like that and used as a (reluctant) ally in the second season against a big, creepily-nice Internet hugbox that tried to ban conflict could be seen as a mirror of GG 'u mad, bro?' rhetoric if you really squint. Couple that with a lack of focus on social and economic bigotry and discrimination (if we conveniently ignore stuff like Rui getting deluged with homophobic Internet comments when he tried to take a stand in S2) that could make you feel like the characters were living in a safe, middle-class bubble, particularly if you weren't paying all that much attention, and it becomes much easier to see how someone might get the wrong impression.

As for F/SN, it's an eroge where the women mostly serve to help the male lead develop/grow past/entirely fail to grow past his weirdo ideology. You can disagree on the degree, but it really isn't controversial to say it has sexism problems, particularly given weird, gratuitous poo poo like the rape-worms and Caster's torture of Saber.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

for real tho how dumb do you have to be to view a japanese show through the lens of western internet drama. like it's not disagreeing with crowds' political stuff that i have a problem with.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 4, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I like the stuff Nick Creamer writes for ANN though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

for real tho how dumb do you have to be to view a japanese show through the lens of western internet drama. like it's not disagreeing with crowds' political stuff that i have a problem with.

Japan has very similar problems with online harassment, though, even if it's (obviously) not specifically built around the Gamergate movement. 2chan really is not that far away, culture-wise, from 4chan - their closest parallel to GG would probably be the utterly insane, vicious poo poo surrounding the idol industry (it even has similar connections to far-right politics). The Internet brings us together like that. :unsmith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually it's about ethics in gatcha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Japan has very similar problems with online harassment, though, even if it's (obviously) not specifically built around the Gamergate movement. 2chan really is not that far away, culture-wise, from 4chan - their closest parallel to GG would probably be the utterly insane, vicious poo poo surrounding the idol industry (it even has similar connections to far-right politics). The Internet brings us together like that. :unsmith:
oh right i forgot everyone that's read ten anime news network articles is an expert on japanese culture

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

oh right i forgot everyone that's read ten anime news network articles is an expert on japanese culture

Uh huh. And your basis for what you're saying is...?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what im saying is 'gatchaman crowds is probaaaably not based on gamergate, and while there are plenty of angles to criticize it from, invoking gamergate outright is a really dumb way of writing a review or giving your thoughts on it.' i dont think that requires much basis.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im an expert on japan

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I think japan makes p. cool cartoons sometimes, but that's just my uninformed opinion.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

haha

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

anyway, i'll be watching haruchika and the kyoani show, but i don't have high expectations for either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

anyway, i'll be watching haruchika and the kyoani show, but i don't have high expectations for either

I'm holding out hope that they'll animate the sex scenes because KyoAni could probably make some drat fine sex scenes.

• Locked thread