Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe
I loved this movie, and just want more of the same, but I don't think I can stomach watching Fruitvale Station knowing what it's based on and how it must end. It's in been on my Netflix queue and I don't know when or if I'll ever watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe
Also I had a hard time parsing Pretty Ricky's accent in the theatre, what exactly were the criminal charges he was going to jail for? And what was his justification to his trainer?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LIKEINEEDTHIS posted:

Also I had a hard time parsing Pretty Ricky's accent in the theatre, what exactly were the criminal charges he was going to jail for? And what was his justification to his trainer?

Handgun possession.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I've somehow never gotten around to seeing any of the Rocky movies, but this blew me away. I'm shocked at how compelling it was even if the beats were incredibly familiar.

My only criticism is that the women in this movie are total props for Adonis. He bruises both of their lives for his own cause and ends up being justified for doing so with basically no repercussion for his actions. At least Bianca isn't a flat character, I guess. Tessa Thompson was really great.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Going from the trailer, it just looks like Whiplash, but with added gay coal burning father/'son' issues.

The movie with Clint Eastwood and Charlie Sheen about both being gay cops shares a similar sort of subtext.

verdigris murder fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 7, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Naet posted:

My only criticism is that the women in this movie are total props for Adonis. He bruises both of their lives for his own cause and ends up being justified for doing so with basically no repercussion for his actions. At least Bianca isn't a flat character, I guess. Tessa Thompson was really great.

Uh Adonis goes to jail for the thing that happened to Bianca.

osietra posted:

Going from the trailer, it just looks like Whiplash, but with added gay coal burning father/'son' issues.

The movie with Clint Eastwood and Charlie Sheen about both being gay cops shares a similar sort of subtext.

It's really nothing like Whiplash, and it's not even homoerotic. Rocky III is the homoerotic movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raxivace posted:

It's really nothing like Whiplash, and it's not even homoerotic. Rocky III is the homoerotic movie.

There is a little whiplash in it. The obsession to succeed and all that, but the difference is that in creed he learns the importance of having people in his life support him.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Raxivace posted:

You're right and I was unclear. I meant in terms of their relationships.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Naet posted:

You're right and I was unclear. I meant in terms of their relationships.

Well I mean he was pretty cost to totally losing her, but then they made up. That happens in life all the time.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I loving loved this movie. One of the matches being filmed in a single shot was awesome as hell.

Also it makes me happy that it means Ivan Drago and the birthday robot are canon in the Rocky cinematic universe.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 7, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is the band Creed, famous for their hit single Higher, really nowhere to be found in this film? It seems like even my idol, my shiny golden god Scott Stapp himself was confused at the lack of his band in a biopic of their rise to success in Christian Rock.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

xcore posted:

I'm looking forward to catching this. I've never been a fan of Rocky, but this looks like a sequel that isn't totally forced and some kind of cheap cash-in. An intriguing premise, good looking cinematic style and a Wire alumn. Color me excited.

"A" Wire alumni? Avon apparently went back to his boxing roots and became a trainer. It just needed Cutty there training to really weird me out.

This was a really good movie. Formulaic, but every scene was directed/acted so well that you couldn't help but be moved.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is the band Creed, really nowhere to be found in this film?

This joke really isn't funny enough to drop twice.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Donnie getting knocked down, flashing back to important moments in his life, popping up, admitting to Rocky his life can't be a mistake, then heading back into the ring for round 12 as the Rocky theme blares is like...the best 90 seconds of filmmaking I've seen. All the catharsis this movie had built up to is there and it's done so well. What an awesome movie.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Loved the movie although the ending we got is getting kind of tiresome.

Also, I really thought they were going to go somewhere with the boxer that got his car (cooper?), but the movie drops him pretty quickly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He's set up pretty well to be the antagonist of the sequel, broken jaw and all that putting him out of the first.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The Dave posted:

He's set up pretty well to be the antagonist of the sequel, broken jaw and all that putting him out of the first.

I guess I'm not really looking at it sequel wise. I've been looking at this as a one shot deal.

Also, I'm sad that Tony Burton wasn't in this one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"We're gonna build some hurtin' bombs" was the best line from Rocky 6.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This movie makes me really want to go see Philadelphia. This will sound really elementary, but it's a rare movie that feels like it's in a specific place.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

This movie makes me really want to go see Philadelphia. This will sound really elementary, but it's a rare movie that feels like it's in a specific place.

The movie was awesome.

Also the cheese steak place they went to is pretty legit. I was a little disappointed they didn't get the wiz on it though.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

blackguy32 posted:

Loved the movie although the ending we got is getting kind of tiresome.

It's only been the ending, what, half the time? I'm fine with it especially considering it's about someone new.

Naet posted:

Not really feeling this, though. Everyone nicks each other up a bit and Adonis easily comes off the worst for it. I personally think Bianca was a solid part of the movie in her own right. Adonis, Rocky, and Bianca all have something personal that's grinding on them and they're all, by the end, going on with their lives anyway to do what they love. They bond over this mutual determination and support each other like a new family.

It certainly helps that they took all the traditional wet blanket-ness that the love interest usually gets in a sports movie and puts it on the mom where it makes loads more sense in this context.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Movie was pretty good. Some eye rolling parts and main character kind of unlikable. But it's a tried and true story that's almost impossible to gently caress up. 3 out of 4 stars

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

It's only been the ending, what, half the time? I'm fine with it especially considering it's about someone new.

Not really feeling this, though. Everyone nicks each other up a bit and Adonis easily comes off the worst for it. I personally think Bianca was a solid part of the movie in her own right. Adonis, Rocky, and Bianca all have something personal that's grinding on them and they're all, by the end, going on with their lives anyway to do what they love. They bond over this mutual determination and support each other like a new family.

It certainly helps that they took all the traditional wet blanket-ness that the love interest usually gets in a sports movie and puts it on the mom where it makes loads more sense in this context.

I was telling my friend after the movie that any other movie and the love interest would be the worst part of it all, but creed handled it so well.

Something I liked about the movie too was how genuine it felt. Nothing felt forced, and there are so many moments where it could have turned bad, but they handled everything with care and grace.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Adonis jeopardizes her career in a dumb masculine stunt. What exactly does she do to him? What in the movie indicates why she would show up to support him in pursuing a dangerous career (one that encourages the dumb masculine stunt he pulled to push her away in the first place)? The "Rocky is sick" justification is fine, I guess, but I don't really buy it for who Bianca is supposed to be.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Darko posted:

This was a really good movie. Formulaic, but every scene was directed/acted so well that you couldn't help but be moved.

Agreed that it was formulaic, but it was still amazing. When the 'Rocky' theme started up during the final fight, about half the audience in the theater lost their poo poo. My only complaints were 1) there was no cameo of Ivan Drago (I figured after the cat was out of the bag, there'd be at least an interview on a TV in the background with Drago, mentioning how he was the one who killed Adonis's dad in the ring). Even though Paulie's room was in the movie, his robot was never seen. My BF and I agreed it would have been a funny little nod to the series, if say, Adonis opened a closet in the room and just raised an eyebrow at the robot.

And this may just be due to my area of work, but in regards to the love-interest (not huge spoilers, but I'll tag it just to be safe) Bianca being a musician that is slowly losing her hearing made me roll my eyes a bit. I work in the Deaf community, so maybe I'm biased, but the whole 'musician will someday no longer be able to hear music' trope has been done before for a long time as a 'oh that's so sad!' dramatic device. I suppose it works in the 'time takes everything away' sense, and I liked their little conversation about how she was starting to learn sign language to prep for it, but still. But I'm sure I'm in the vast minority for people that would nit-pick on that

Overall, I liked how easily Adonis and Rocky played off each other, and how their relationship didn't seem forced. I was also surprised at how funny it was at times out of nowhere, like when Adonis freaked out right before he had to go to the ring to fight the guy with all the tattoos.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Naet posted:

Adonis jeopardizes her career in a dumb masculine stunt. What exactly does she do to him? What in the movie indicates why she would show up to support him in pursuing a dangerous career (one that encourages the dumb masculine stunt he pulled to push her away in the first place)? The "Rocky is sick" justification is fine, I guess, but I don't really buy it for who Bianca is supposed to be.

What was supposed to happen to him? Was he supposed to be punished the rest of the movie for it? Like he made a mistake and she forgave him. That poo poo happens all the time. Did you want her to just leave him forever?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The_Rob posted:

What was supposed to happen to him? Was he supposed to be punished the rest of the movie for it? Like he made a mistake and she forgave him. That poo poo happens all the time. Did you want her to just leave him forever?

I wanted a resolution that wasn't just her showing up? Is this that hard to understand? She shows up and the movie never addresses their conflict.

It's nowhere near the worst depiction but it fits a standard Hollywood trope where men can be violent and disregard their love interest or jeopardize their livelihood and the only consequence is not actually addressing their horrible behavior, but just being sad until the love interest shows up again to support them in a time of need.

The movie doesn't justify why she comes to Liverpool and says nothing about why they should be together after his actions.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Naet posted:

I wanted a resolution that wasn't just her showing up? Is this that hard to understand? She shows up and the movie never addresses their conflict.

It's nowhere near the worst depiction but it fits a standard Hollywood trope where men can be violent and disregard their love interest or jeopardize their livelihood and the only consequence is not actually addressing their horrible behavior, but just being sad until the love interest shows up again to support them in a time of need.

The movie doesn't justify why she comes to Liverpool and says nothing about why they should be together after his actions.
Every scene with the two (or three) of them before the show is addressing the conflict. Rocky visiting him in jail is addressing the conflict. The scene at her door after he's released from jail is addressing the conflict. Donny reconciling with Rocky (and convincing him to fight) is addressing the conflict. Rocky awkwardly sitting on Donny's hotel bed is addressing the conflict. Her showing up is addressing the conflict. You don't need to know exactly what Rocky said to her, or what Donny said after he invited her in. You keep bringing up 'tropes' but you're treating Bianca as either a reward or a punishment - there's nothing unrealistic about their reconciliation within the scope of the movie or how the characters were drawn (the timing was a bit dramatic, but hey, it's the movies).

Now you can certainly make the case that there should be more movies featuring a Bianca as the protagonist, and a sequel focusing on her (with Adonis as the peripheral character) would be more exciting to me as a concept than Creed 2, but within the movie it worked fine.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 8, 2015

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Naet posted:

Adonis' career is dangerous and he's breaking down his body to pursue it. Bianca's career is increasing the damage to her already-deteriorating hearing but she keeps on going. Rocky's cancer makes him almost give up until he decides to fight it with chemo to keep supporting the newfound family he has. They all have things they're doing that's harming themselves in the hope that the time they're buying lets them keep doing what they love.

The Bianca -> Adonis sniping is very minimal, I'll admit. It just struck me as strange that she'd be amused that Adonis' uncle is secretly Rocky Balboa but she got "walk away break up angry" that his dad is Apollo Creed. The reason to keep both relationships under wraps makes a pretty good amount of sense. If nothing else I don't get why the difference in reaction is so stark. Is she still being defensive? Maybe it's just a hitch in the screenplay and they wanted a manufactured drama scene, I don't know.

LadyPictureShow posted:

And this may just be due to my area of work, but in regards to the love-interest (not huge spoilers, but I'll tag it just to be safe) Bianca being a musician that is slowly losing her hearing made me roll my eyes a bit. I work in the Deaf community, so maybe I'm biased, but the whole 'musician will someday no longer be able to hear music' trope has been done before for a long time as a 'oh that's so sad!' dramatic device. I suppose it works in the 'time takes everything away' sense, and I liked their little conversation about how she was starting to learn sign language to prep for it, but still. But I'm sure I'm in the vast minority for people that would nit-pick on that

No denying the cliche but, to me, it seemed that the point of her condition was to mirror the degeneration that Adonis is going through as a boxer. He's slowly turning his body and mind into a pile of broken parts but he loves to fight and is chasing that dream. She's losing her hearing but she's still blasting her ears with music because it's her career and what she loves. Crass as it is to put it this way I think deafness is just the most convenient condition they could tag her with to give her a parallel motivation.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

oldpainless posted:

Movie was pretty good. Some eye rolling parts and main character kind of unlikable. But it's a tried and true story that's almost impossible to gently caress up. 3 out of 4 stars

Remember his dad in Rocky 1/2?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Adlai Stevenson posted:

The Bianca -> Adonis sniping is very minimal, I'll admit. It just struck me as strange that she'd be amused that Adonis' uncle is secretly Rocky Balboa but she got "walk away break up angry" that his dad is Apollo Creed. The reason to keep both relationships under wraps makes a pretty good amount of sense. If nothing else I don't get why the difference in reaction is so stark. Is she still being defensive? Maybe it's just a hitch in the screenplay and they wanted a manufactured drama scene, I don't know.
I dunno if she was break-up angry (couples have fights and don't break up sometimes!), but she was angrier about that one since she straight asked him about his dad and he told a half-truth.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

wyoak posted:

I dunno if she was break-up angry (couples have fights and don't break up sometimes!), but she was angrier about that one since she straight asked him about his dad and he told a half-truth.

The tone from the scene I got wasn't "hey I'm upset" it was "hey I'm upset and we're still new and I'm starting to wonder if you're worth my time because I have other things I could ve doing right now." Also the scene is framed as a classic "she keeps walking and he has to find a way to make her stop and listen" kind of way. Again, this could just be the screenplay feeling like it needs That Scene in it.

And if you're going to be condescending at least be funny, c'mon now

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I wasn't being condescending though? In any case, her problem wasn't that Apollo was his dad, it was that he didn't tell her when she asked, she explicitly says that.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Ty1990 posted:

I love the Rocky series but as you guys can tell most of the boxing match scenes, while exciting, are really loving unrealistic (even the final fight in this film fits that mold)

My favorite subtle joke in the movie is when they let you know you've left the real world and entered bullshit superhero boxing Ivan Drago world before the last match by having the announcer say something like "he's never fought at the THIS LEVEL of boxing before!"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's a dumpster city, and cheesesteaks are garbage food.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I live in Philadelphia and this is accurate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't a cheese steak just a steak sandwich with cheese? What's wrong with that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Coffee And Pie posted:

Confirmed. And it is fantastic.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't a cheese steak just a steak sandwich with cheese? What's wrong with that.

Authentically its cheese-whiz, not cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
People get into fights as to whether cheez wiz or provolone is the cheese of choice.

I fall on the provolone side.

• Locked thread