Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never get used to seeing Samus without shoulder pads, even in Super Metroid when it's far subtler. She's a true woman of the 80's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I think the morph ball paths are supposed to be like air ducts and plumbing and stuff like that.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The episode is marked as hidden, just as a heads up.

Also, I like to think that Space Pirate's idea of keys is a HUGE BALL with a bomb inside.

Gives new meaning to losing your keys.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And yet, a key that is a ball with a bomb inside is totally the sort of thing that would win a space pirate Nobel prize.

The video is public now, thanks, forgot to set that this morning.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 10, 2016

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
So I seem to recall reading in the game text that the morph ball is 1 meter diameter. Does that mean that Samus is 4 meters tall?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
The height of the morph ball and the height of Samus relative to it changes practically every game. It looked more doable in the older games, though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In the Prime games, the morph ball is one meter in diameter. It looks much smaller because of how far the camera zooms out but there are a few places in the game where you can get a good sense of its scale. I was planning to bring it up in a video sometime but haven't had the opportunity yet (or we've been too busy laughing at the dumb jokes we make).

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, it depends on the game, but generally speaking the diameter of the Morph Ball is about a little less than a half of the Power Suit's height. Samus herself isn't quite as tall as the Suit, and I'd imagine that if the tunnels are about one meter in diameter, obviously the Morph Ball has to be a little less than that.

At any rate, the Ball is larger than it would seem at first. It's bigger than usual in the Prime games too.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I couldn't quite hear, is this the version where Flaagrah's music is bugged in loops the first few seconds endlessly? And if I'm not mixing up my trivia, that bug you mentioned with the ball jump can get you high enough that you can leave the room, at which point Flaagrah just disappears and you can't get the Varia Suit. :eng101:

Speaking of, Varia is my favourite translation goof ever, they not only produced something that sounds cool but you can retroactively justify the name as being short for Variable Temperature or Variable Environment. :allears:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You're right, this is the version of the game with the shortened Flaahgra's battle music. Whether or not it's due to a bug, the NTSC-0-00 original release on Gamecube has a battle theme that only lasts about a minute before looping. To my knowledge, starting with the PAL version they extended the music so that the loop point is around the two minute mark instead. It also meanders a little more and has more phrases to the track.

Here's a link to the extended track if you'd like to hear it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMkEc6-0nlU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I thought some log or maybe something from Nintendo Power in the Super Metroid age gave her height as 6' (or maybe 2m with armor), and the ball being 1m in diameter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You all have this completely wrong.

by Psuede

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I thought some log or maybe something from Nintendo Power in the Super Metroid age gave her height as 6' (or maybe 2m with armor), and the ball being 1m in diameter.

Well, if you go by each tile in the old games being about 3ft/2m tall that makes perfect sense.

Honestly the best thing about the morph ball is that it came to being entirely because the creators of the original Metroid were lazy. They couldn't get a sprite of Samus crawling to look good, nor could they work out the mechanics, so instead they had her turn into a small little ball which let them create all sorts of nifty mechanics that were much more fun then "slowly crawl through air ducts".

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Well, if you go by each tile in the old games being about 3ft/2m tall that makes perfect sense.

Honestly the best thing about the morph ball is that it came to being entirely because the creators of the original Metroid were lazy. They couldn't get a sprite of Samus crawling to look good, nor could they work out the mechanics, so instead they had her turn into a small little ball which let them create all sorts of nifty mechanics that were much more fun then "slowly crawl through air ducts".

Which makes the ending of Zero Mission pretty funny.

This LP got me to start replaying the game. Still so good.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 9, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Something interesting I should note about the free strafe in this game and in Prime 2 (when you hold L without locking on) is that it's not quite a free strafe like you'd see in more standard FPS games. Instead, the game just locks you onto a point that's rather far away and rotates you around that. It's still close enough that you can notice the distinction, but regardless it's interesting to consider the technical limitation that Retro was unable to write up a true free strafe in the Metroid Prime engine.

Prime 3 may or may not have had a true free strafe, but in any case the Wii's changes to the FPS controls from the tank controls of Prime 1 and 2 made a true free strafe less meaningful.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.

AlphaKretin posted:

I couldn't quite hear, is this the version where Flaagrah's music is bugged in loops the first few seconds endlessly?

Fun fact: Flaagrah's music being bugged is a misnomer. Retro decided post-NA release that the music was too repetitive and bland and had the theme extended for future releases. I actually don't mind it either way tbh. The extended cut really fits the over-all theme of the Prime series' music, but the simplistic loop of the original just made the fight that much creepier for 13y/o me.

Chips Challenged fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 10, 2015

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You all have this completely wrong.

by Psuede

This is the best thing I have seen all day.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
It looks to me like the "bomb slots" are supposed to be electrical outlets of some sort. Samus' morph ball just happens to fit nicely in the receptacle, and her bombs provide the power.

The morphball tracks are clearly plumbing and vents. The spiderball magnetic tracks look like they were built to facilitate automated robot worker drones; maintenance bots, really.

People also complain about the doors requiring blasters and whatnot to open. I'd prefer to say that there's a less "invasive" way of opening the doors, it's just that the doors are heavily shielded as a lock to prevent destructive entry from most people. Samus' weapons just happen to be powerful enough to overload said shields.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Iunnrais posted:

It looks to me like the "bomb slots" are supposed to be electrical outlets of some sort. Samus' morph ball just happens to fit nicely in the receptacle, and her bombs provide the power.

The morphball tracks are clearly plumbing and vents. The spiderball magnetic tracks look like they were built to facilitate automated robot worker drones; maintenance bots, really.

People also complain about the doors requiring blasters and whatnot to open. I'd prefer to say that there's a less "invasive" way of opening the doors, it's just that the doors are heavily shielded as a lock to prevent destructive entry from most people. Samus' weapons just happen to be powerful enough to overload said shields.

Or the reason why is because it was the chozo who sold everyone their locks and doors and when they up and left people just made more of the same.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Back with a new session, we start exploring the boundaries of temperature.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FPzero posted:

Back with a new session, we start exploring the boundaries of temperature.

You left the episode unlisted again.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I am literally the worst at this.

Also, the pokemon I was talking about is Alomomola: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Alomomola_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Look at this dumb fish.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"How does that not melt the snow underneath?"

Cold fusion, duh :suicide:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
There is a video game molamola, though - that one where you watch a fish die in as many ways as possible and see how long it takes your Twitter following to drop to zero.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Phenandra drifts is such a chill area, even the music just wants you to sit back and watch the snow fall.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You glossed over the word Phazon in an item description like it's a spoiler and yet its in your avatar text. :v:

I'll be very impressed if Fae can crochet something spiky and shiny. :)

The music in the Drifts is indeed chill, but as a massive dork for Super Metroid I think I'm contractually obliged to prefer the Magmoor Caverns.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

AlphaKretin posted:

The music in the Drifts is indeed chill, but as a massive dork for Super Metroid I think I'm contractually obliged to prefer the Magmoor Caverns.

Who doesn't like chanting and drums?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

FPzero posted:

I am literally the worst at this.

Also, the pokemon I was talking about is Alomomola: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Alomomola_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Look at this dumb fish.

Why is that thing not just an evolution to Luvdisc?

WHY DOES LUVDISC EXIST?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

WilliamAnderson posted:

Why is that thing not just an evolution to Luvdisc?

WHY DOES LUVDISC EXIST?

Because they thought farming for drops was fun.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We make bad jokes and go skateboarding.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's fitting that the Rolling Stones pun came in the same episode that you got the boost ball.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Just for that She-Goth pun, I'm requesting that Faerie Fortune crochet Samus' goth phase.

I don't know what it would be. A black morph ball with a skull on it? But I challenge her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

'Samus must be a man, because she's so tall' is a new one, I've got to admit. Or it is for me at least. But I'm not really in touch with the Metroid fandom so I've got no idea what other stuff exists for the series, my knowledge basically begins with Metroid Prime and ends with Other M.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

RareAcumen posted:

But I'm not really in touch with the Metroid fandom so I've got no idea what other stuff exists for the series, my knowledge basically begins with Metroid Prime and ends with Other M.

I think that pretty much misses Metroid, Metroid 2, Metroid Pinball, and Super Metroid. There have never been all that many Metroid games because they're not popular enough in Japan for the people who make them to want to make more.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

'Samus must be a man, because she's so tall' is a new one, I've got to admit. Or it is for me at least. But I'm not really in touch with the Metroid fandom so I've got no idea what other stuff exists for the series, my knowledge basically begins with Metroid Prime and ends with Other M.

Super Metroid is really good.

Must be a man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I think that pretty much misses Metroid, Metroid 2, Metroid Pinball, and Super Metroid. There have never been all that many Metroid games because they're not popular enough in Japan for the people who make them to want to make more.

Wait, I know about Metroid Fusion- I think? That's the SA-X one right?- and there was a really early game where dialogue wasn't even much of a thing yet before she took her helmet off and revealed that she was a woman the entire time and people flipped in a 'Holy poo poo no way!' kind of way, like they just got Vince McMahoned.

Also there was a comic/manga too with her being celebrated and poo poo and with a bikini lady on each arm and I feel like it's such a shame they decided to stop and change her character from there after she revealed 'Actually I am a lady.'

Mordaedil posted:

Super Metroid is really good.

Must be a man.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

RareAcumen posted:

Also there was a comic/manga too with her being celebrated and poo poo and with a bikini lady on each arm and I feel like it's such a shame they decided to stop and change her character from there after she revealed 'Actually I am a lady.'

Considering that was literally the first game where that was "revealed", I don't think there's much room for anything like that there. In fact, you could replay the game without the suit...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cheez posted:

Considering that was literally the first game where that was "revealed", I don't think there's much room for anything like that there. In fact, you could replay the game without the suit...

:shrug: Like I said, my knowledge of Metroid is three games, a comic, and 'Why can't Metroid crawl?' I mean, Super Smash bros doesn't count towards character lore at all.

edit: I thought they went multiple games without mentioning that she was a woman and it wasn't until like the third or fourth one that the reveal happened.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 16, 2015

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

In Super Metroid when you got a game over, Samus' suit would bust open with a big flash of light and you could see her silhouette which was DEFINITELY female so it was at least hinted at back then too.

RareAcumen posted:

A canon lesbian Samus would have made me so happy and now I wish that was a reality, that would've meant a lot to kid Fae :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

In Super Metroid when you got a game over, Samus' suit would bust open with a big flash of light and you could see her silhouette which was DEFINITELY female so it was at least hinted at back then too.

A canon lesbian Samus would have made me so happy and now I wish that was a reality, that would've meant a lot to kid Fae :unsmith:

My first experience with Metroid was Super Smash Bros Melee and Metroid Prime. My experience with Fusion and Other M came much later from LPs and riffs so I had no idea it wasn't kept a mystery at all. v:v:v I had a Nintendo 64 and some games on it and never got any more besides what I had. And among those I had Mario 64 as the only big game that everyone loved on that system.

If I'm inviting a bad topic I apologize but I agree with you. Although I'd say a gay character in general would be good. Closest one I can think of is Tharja since she's into the Avatar no matter which gender you decide on.

• Locked thread