Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Samus is a woman" is like, "Darth Vader is Luke's father"-level of knowledge in the video game world. It just surprises people when they hear people still thought otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The manual was either written without knowing or deliberately misleading, but Samus has always been a woman, as an above poster said she reveals herself in the ending of Metroid if you complete it fast enough and future playthroughs depict her without the power suit.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think the manuals and comics around the original game's release were deliberately misleading so that the surprise would be even bigger. At the time, I can imagine it would have been a huge deal.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
I've not come across "Samus is actually a man", I have come across a lot of "Samus is a trans woman" and people mad at that theory because they think it means "Samus is a man" though

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

It was only a "mystery" in the first Metroid back on NES. After that it was just known that she was a lady.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

See, not having played anything prior to Metroid Prime, and not really keeping track of how fast games developed, I thought that by that point games didn't really have dialogue yet. So I thought they kept that secret in the games for a while too instead of just the first game and immediately revealing it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

For the most part the games before Prime had little to no words in them. I think Super Metroid was the first one to have any sort of monologue from Samus and even then it was only the game's intro scene that set up the plot. In the original Metroid, you got to see that Samus was a woman if you completed the game fast enough and all that happened was that it showed a woman in a bikini with no explanation and let the player put two and two together that the cool robot guy they had been playing as was actually a woman.

Because my first exposure to Samus was N64 Smash Bros, I think I discovered she was a woman due to the skeleton models the game had when characters got shocked by Pikachu. If I remember correctly, Samus didn't have a skeleton but instead had a woman-shaped, one-color model under her armor. I was pausing the game on all the characters as they got shocked to see what it looked like and suddenly "Hey wait, she's a girl??????" 10-year old me was surprised.

I never knew anything about the series until Prime came out and I got it for Christmas in 2002. The rest, for me, is history.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I like how Samus' suit has a specific setting to find cool half-pipes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Panderfringe posted:

I like how Samus' suit has a specific setting to find cool half-pipes.

"Sick-nasty grindrail detected, brah!"

Morphballing is not a crime.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Human evolution is such that we've been growing progressively taller for some reason. All of the remains excavated from sites like Anicent Greece and Rome suggest that being 5.5 ft. or around 1.5 metres would've been the upper end for a lot of military age men of the time. It is really slow, but over 2000 years we've gained an average of 30 cm extra in regular height. So since Metroid takes place in the far future, there really isn't anything suggesting that Samus might be anything other than average height.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The explanation I've heard is consistently better nutrition.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Also Samus has had bird blood since she was a kid (going off the fake statue fights in Super they're a bit under twice her suit-clad size) and either is buff enough to constantly use the Power Suit, or if it's augmentation that isn't an issue to wear she's still constantly jumping around and fighting. It's a wonder she's even in the same realm as present human heights.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Wapole Languray posted:

It was only a "mystery" in the first Metroid back on NES. After that it was just known that she was a lady.

My first Metroid game was Prime, and I knew Samus was a woman before I'd even played the game, because all the Nintendo magazines had been saying it for years. :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

AlphaKretin posted:

Also Samus has had bird blood since she was a kid (going off the fake statue fights in Super they're a bit under twice her suit-clad size) and either is buff enough to constantly use the Power Suit, or if it's augmentation that isn't an issue to wear she's still constantly jumping around and fighting. It's a wonder she's even in the same realm as present human heights.

The Power Suit is held on by sheer force of will and emotion. If she's rattled, can't concentrate, or just chooses to take it off it disappears. But it's also solid, since she's seen holding her helmet several times.

Although some of that is taken from Other M and gently caress that Samus

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The Power Suit is held on by sheer force of will and emotion. If she's rattled, can't concentrate, or just chooses to take it off it disappears. But it's also solid, since she's seen holding her helmet several times.

I'm pretty sure every other game has had the suit be a solid object. It's integrated into her body in some way (they had to surgically remove it in Fusion) but she can definitely take it off. Zero Mission had an extended sequence where Samus had to operate sans armor, and it wasn't because Ridley gave her the stink-eye.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I believe that was Sakamoto's intention, yes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My cousin's 6'5", former basketball player, rower, and frankly built like an Amazon. I have no problem believing Samus is tall.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, I know about Metroid Fusion- I think? That's the SA-X one right?

Fusion takes place after Other M. And is retroactively made worse by Other M's existence.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Samus being a woman is only a spoilers on GameFAQs where the mods enforce the spoiler rule as a joke* on the nes version of the game.

*maybe, like 50-50.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know why I have such a clear memory of Fusion's intro but the Suit had basically bonded with her, so it is an augmentation, but she wasn't expecting it so it was at least originally just a suit. If I knew Other M said stupid poo poo about it then I forgot.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't know why I have such a clear memory of Fusion's intro but the Suit had basically bonded with her, so it is an augmentation, but she wasn't expecting it so it was at least originally just a suit. If I knew Other M said stupid poo poo about it then I forgot.

Pretty much. It only really bonded with her because of X-parasite shenanigans if memory serves (or whatever they were called in Fusion). I also remember a line or two in the intro to Fusion pointing out that the parasites were preventing the medics from taking off or removing parts, which you'd think would infer it was a normal suit of power armour before that.

And frankly, just running off of the bile on the internet about Other M, I'm 99% sure Other M said a lot of poo poo about everything in the setting, suit or otherwise.

Kurieg posted:

Fusion takes place after Other M. And is retroactively made worse by Other M's existence.

The fact that was my favourite GBA game has just made that hurt far more. drat it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
If it helps any, it feels like the Fusion versions of things that are supposed to connect to Other M conflict with the Other M versions. Like they gave the personality of "Adam" a nudge in a different direction for Other M that you wouldn't have seen or picked up from Fusion.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Except it doesn't help in the end because Other M can almost be described as a Metroid Fusion re-envisioning. The general plotline of events in Other M nearly mirrors Fusion's ingame events. It also has the side effect of rendering Fusion and its plotline reveals completely dumb. The big twist of Fusion is that the Galactic Federation is mass producing Metroids from Metroid DNA leftover from the Last Metroid's DNA after they were supposedly extinct and this is a surprising discovery for Samus and everyone else involved. The problem with Other M is that this exact twist occurs in Other M for the exact same reasons and motivations, with Samus acting equally surprised. But Other M takes place before Fusion, meaning that all the big twist reveal in Fusion is retroactively made completely dumb because she shouldn't be surprised by it at that point!

Other M is trash plot-wise and not much better in gameplay. I almost want to LP it some day so I can just go over how bad it gets but I'm not sure I hate myself that much.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So the suit is an either/or kinda thing. But that's far from Other M's greatest flaw. It took the biggest thing the first games did right and took it away. Railroading is the opposite of what the series is known for

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

FPzero posted:

not much better in gameplay.
Well, actually, the gameplay is pretty good, but only if you divorce it from Metroid. It's a completely different kind of game than Metroid, so you're probably not going to enjoy it if you come in expecting that. On the other hand though, the way the game is designed, there's a lot of fun to be had with the new mechanics, and they always have a fast way to kill every recurring enemy, so you can feel like you're growing in strength even though your powerups remain the same. You just have to suffer through a god awful plot and a bad rehash of an enemy from Fusion, and the extremely ham handed "imagery" they continually use...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

By Fusion's explanation. The suit is a biomechanical thing that she has to put on and take off, though in Prime 3 she can teleport it on via her ship when she's physically in her ship. The doctors can't remove it in Fusion because she is A: Unconcious and B: the X has infected both her and the suit and is making it hard for them to figure out where one starts and the other stops. The inclusion of Metroid DNA caused both her and her suit to mutate because they're both physical things.

But then in Other M it turned into a hard-light hologram summoned by willpower because that let them strip samus out of her armor whenever it was convenient for the plot.

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015

Kurieg posted:

But then in Other M it turned into a hard-light hologram summoned by willpower because that let them strip samus out of her armor whenever it was convenient for the plot.

...So, what you are saying is, Ignore Other M because it makes no sense?
I mean, Hard light hologram armor sounds cool, but how the hell would it make missiles, or power an energy blast?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

By Fusion's explanation. The suit is a biomechanical thing that she has to put on and take off, though in Prime 3 she can teleport it on via her ship when she's physically in her ship. The doctors can't remove it in Fusion because she is A: Unconcious and B: the X has infected both her and the suit and is making it hard for them to figure out where one starts and the other stops. The inclusion of Metroid DNA caused both her and her suit to mutate because they're both physical things.

Zero Mission did the similar thing. Since she took it off at the midway point it went down with the ship.

I guess in Super Metroid might have been too, or just the fact that the suit takes so much damage it explodes.

Why she didn't freak out and become zero suit Samus whenever SA-X pops up? Fusion is a better game is why. And I am deeply irritated that Other M is a thing that justifies me typing that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm totally okay with the half-mystic technology thing. It suits the chozo's ethos incredibly well to design something like that. The federation and space pirate tech is all regular technology, and Samus' tech is bird-people techno-magic.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Thyself D. Mad posted:

...So, what you are saying is, Ignore Other M because it makes no sense?
I mean, Hard light hologram armor sounds cool, but how the hell would it make missiles, or power an energy blast?

She concentrates SUPER HARD and it makes missiles.

No seriously that is the mechanic in Other M.

It is a very bad game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hard light projection suit just makes me think Power Ranger or Green Lantern and I'm at least convinced the former never has people's clothes fly off for :airquote:reasons:airquote:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
To clarify FPZero's speculation in the video: The Chozo infused Samus with their DNA so she could actually survive on Zebes. The planet's ecosystem was way too harsh for a human child to live to adulthood. It also made her able to use the Power Suit later on.

As for what the suit itself is, it seems to be made out of some sort of organic metal, going by Fusion (after all, the X parasitoids are able to absorb and mimic it perfectly). Like Kurieg said, the thing's so attuned to her physiology that it can't be removed when she's unconscious and the Federation doctors that treated her in Fusion's intro tore it to pieces trying. Granted, the pieces got up and walked away of their own accord later, bonded as they were with the Samus-X.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Another part of the reason Fusion is a good game is that the X are creepy as poo poo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Most of the Bosses in Fusion are creepy as poo poo, and Other M goes out of it's way to piss all over them.

The Nightmare, the boss of Sector 5, is supposed to be ludicrously powerful. And you accidentally let it loose as you start clearing out door locks to advance deeper into the space station. Your first interaction with it is this ominous looming shadow flying around in the background as you leave Sector 5, and upon your return everything is torn all to poo poo and you're able to advance past some lock doors because he's punched holes through the walls and ceilings allowing you to advance into it's lair. As you kill it it's mask starts to break and this green fluid starts weeping out. Eventualy the whole thing blasts off and his face starts melting off of his body as you damage it and it screams in pain.

In Other M, you end up fighting the nightmare again. It just shows up randomly as a boss with no foreshadowing, and it's defeat is considerably less dignified as it cries like a baby as it gets smashed into the walls

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Most of the Bosses in Fusion are creepy as poo poo, and Other M goes out of it's way to piss all over them.

The Nightmare, the boss of Sector 5, is supposed to be ludicrously powerful. And you accidentally let it loose as you start clearing out door locks to advance deeper into the space station. Your first interaction with it is this ominous looming shadow flying around in the background as you leave Sector 5, and upon your return everything is torn all to poo poo and you're able to advance past some lock doors because he's punched holes through the walls and ceilings allowing you to advance into it's lair. As you kill it it's mask starts to break and this green fluid starts weeping out. Eventualy the whole thing blasts off and his face starts melting off of his body as you damage it and it screams in pain.

In Other M, you end up fighting the nightmare again. It just shows up randomly as a boss with no foreshadowing, and it's defeat is considerably less dignified as it cries like a baby as it gets smashed into the walls

But babies! and """"""bottle"""""" ships! And moms! Also I can't tell from that video but I'm pretty sure they changed its face to look somewhat more like a baby's too, didn't they? some kind of "developing human" kind of facial feature stuff anyway. The other one pretty much didn't have much of a face to speak of at all...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KieranWalker posted:

As for what the suit itself is, it seems to be made out of some sort of organic metal, going by Fusion (after all, the X parasitoids are able to absorb and mimic it perfectly). Like Kurieg said, the thing's so attuned to her physiology that it can't be removed when she's unconscious and the Federation doctors that treated her in Fusion's intro tore it to pieces trying. Granted, the pieces got up and walked away of their own accord later, bonded as they were with the Samus-X.

Same thing happened in Prime 3 with [spoilers].

Sorry, tried to keep it vague enough it wasn't spoilers beyond "thing happens to Samus".

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 18, 2015

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

^^ Oh hey can you spoiler that since it's a Prime 3 spoiler? I want to keep Prime 2 and 3 unspoiled in case we LP it later.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cheez posted:

But babies! and """"""bottle"""""" ships! And moms! Also I can't tell from that video but I'm pretty sure they changed its face to look somewhat more like a baby's too, didn't they? some kind of "developing human" kind of facial feature stuff anyway. The other one pretty much didn't have much of a face to speak of at all...

I thought that's how whatever those robot/creature things are supposed to look like. The Nightmare in Fusion is a literal "nightmare" because it's a horrific X version of whatever it was originally supposed to be, and the X version is this disgusting melty-face monstrosity.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I thought the Fusion guy was melting because it was a gravity controlling experiment monster that lost an important part of its armor. And also was being shot in the face a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, I thought that too until Other M started doing its thing.

• Locked thread