Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes. This game came out in 2004 as the sequel to the critically acclaimed Metroid Prime. It was bigger, had a new planet to explore, new alien races and an active plot thread instead of the mostly hidden backstory of the first game. But is it a better game that its predecessor? Well, opinions are divided. The game isn't as isolated as the first Prime game, opting for some actual cutscenes with dialogue. It also has a lot more "fetch-questing" than the previous game, a point that people already disliked about Prime. It also has a new system for your beam weapons and probably a little more backtracking than necessary. On the positive side, the environments are well-designed and beautiful, the soundtrack is lovely, there are brand new upgrades some of which are unique to this entry, and overall it still retains the explorational feel that makes Metroid the series so many love.

I like this game. Maybe not as much as I do with Prime 1 but I still like it. As I mentioned, it's a bit divisive overall but I think that despite its flaws it is still a Metroid game through and through. Hopefully I'll be able to make a case for this over the course of the LP.

Faerie Fortune returns to help me tackle the game. Our format remains the same as the first LP: It will be a very casual but skilled playthrough of the game as we talk about a whole variety of topics that are only sometimes related to what we're doing. We hope you'll enjoy put up with our dumb banter for another game! (Technical note: Due to recording off a console instead of Dolphin, Fae's stream is actually a couple seconds behind whatever's on screen at the moment, so if she's reacting to something late, that's why.)

There will not be a sequence-break run of this game like I did with Prime 1. This game doesn't lend itself to breaking as much as the first game does. There are a few major tricks but I've never practiced them so I'm just planning the one main run.

This time, we're playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy version of the games. It was a toss-up between the ease of recording through Dolphin or being able to use motion controls. Since I don't have to base my playthrough on a decision to sequence break the game, I figured I'd go ahead and use Trilogy. Plus, a few points and items in the game are a lot more fun with the Trilogy version of the game.

The spoiler policy remains the same as it was for Prime 1. Feel free to discuss anything we've seen up to wherever we've recorded, but keep spoilers about anything we haven't seen or things about Prime 3 in black bars. Oh and while we're talking spoiler policy, let's extend the list of games to not talk about to include The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask because Fae's just started her blind LP of the game. Let's not spoil it for her! Seriously.

Campaign Posters:
Some people drew political campaign posters for a mini-contest we held.
FeyerbrandX:

Bruceski:

FeyerbrandX again:

Gimbal lock (contest winner) :

90s Cringe Rock:
":effort: & paint, and I think I got the wrong LP?"

Kurieg:
"They were MY shoes! :mad:"

Rigged Death Trap:

FeyerbrandX:

"For those of you who don't do Golf With Friends, this is Fae's brain."

Chaltab:
"Samus Aran as The Little Mermaid Suit"

Aithon:
"Don't worry, Fae. Even Ship-chan sometimes gets a fever and has to take a break."

GhostBoy:
"I regret nothing! :colbert:"

Faerie Fortune:

quote:

Before the recording session:

During the recording session:

Tyty:
"The enemy I can't power bomb"

"Grenchlers"

"The crappy puzzle for the item"

Ideas for a Metroid Prime Musical:

Carbon dioxide posted:

So uh, somehow I got into a discussion which ended with "The Phazon of the Opera is here... inside my Prime".

I would really like to know what the full lyrics of that song could be. I'm not Fae so I'm not technically allowed to do silly thread requests, but y'know. :)

Aithon posted:

SAMUS:
A message came to me
From Orpheon -
A ship in stark distress
O'er Tallon IV
Space Pirates strike again - in logs I find
The Phazon of the Opera is here - inside my Prime.

Someone stop me or take this torch from me before I actually start digging through the logs to make a full lore-friendly version.

Shei-kun posted:

Stop you?

Hell no, we're going to encourage the gently caress out of this.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Andrew Lloyd Webber is awful. If it's gotta be musicals do some Sondheim or Gilbert & Sullivan instead.

Not that "I am the very model of a metroid bounty hunter gal" is better in any real way.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I'd probably prefer "A Chozo Tar" but I am terrible at rhyming.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Hmm...

A Chozo gal is a rolling ball,
Flung like a kinetic orb,
Her energetic beam should be charged to stream
And Varia suit to absorb.

Her plasma should flame,
and her ice beam freeze,
Finger to trigger
Should a pirate sneeze,
Shoulderpads should arch,
Power bombs should glow,
Missiles be ever ready
for a green-door blow.

...nope.

Bruceski posted:

I am the very model of a Federation hunter gal
I've scanned things that are vegetable, animal and mineral
I know the Chozo lore and I can tell about their struggles
From Zebes to Tallon IV and quite a few others.

As far as engineering goes my armor's beyond anyone
the best their best can manage is to try to imitate my gun
my morph ball breaks the laws of physics, that fact cannot be denied
(as well as spines of pirates unlucky enough to be inside)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Here's to the metroids who munch
Everybody laugh
Floating in the air and swooping down
To cut you in half

Off to Tourian
Then to Tallon IV
Claiming they're fat
And looking grim
Because they're eating
All your energy

Can anyone...loan me...ice beam?

I'll drink to that

Guys...I miss Elaine Stritch

Carbon dioxide posted:

Pirate 1: It never gets old, huh?
Pirate 2: Nope.
Pirate 1: It kinda makes you wanna...
Pirate 2: Break into song?
Pirate 1: Yep.

I love the Sheegoths
In Phendrana Drifts
I love my strong beams
They're space pirate gifts
I love the whole 'verse
And all its sights and sounds

Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!

I love my Ship-Chan
She takes me through the void
I love three eighty-eight
It has cute Metroids
I love the whole 'verse
And all its crazyness

Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!

I love the morph ball
I love shooting things
I love Zebes
I love the Chozo's wings
I love the whole 'verse
It's such a brilliant place

Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!
Boom De Yada!

Ryushikaze posted:

(GhostBoy voices Ryushikaze's "Metroid Hunting Chozo Gal" rendition: http://tindeck.com/listen/pkhua )

I am the very model of a Metroid Hunting Chozo Gal
I have full visor scans of pirates, deadly plants and terminals,

I know the birds of Zebes, and I quote the faults piratical
From Morphball fails to Phazon Food, to weapons most impractical;

I'm very well acquainted, too, with Ridley the tyrannical,
And through I've killed him twice he just returns again mechanical,

Of Metroid forms I have witnessed far more than my fair share to see, (bothered for a rhyme)
From Alphas to the Metroid Queen and lastly the metroid baby.

I'm very good at regular and combination missile fire;
I know to push against a slope to jump a tiny smidgen higher:

In short, in visor scans of pirates, deadly plants and terminals,
I am the very model of a Metroid Hunting Chozo Gal

I know the tragic hist'ries of the Chozo and the Luminoth;
And made the Pirates and the Ing suffer all of my terr'ble wroth,

I fought in cold phendrana wastes the beasts Sheegoth and Thardus,
and left them strewn about their lairs as little more than glowing dust;

I can tell true Chozo forms from those imitation T'rizo tricks,
And even when unarmored I can still unleash my deadly kicks!

I fought the pirate Omega and got a suit most dark and sleek, (bothered for a rhyme)b
And then gathered up all 12 of the prophesied Chozo Rel-eeks!

I fought the metroid prime deep within the bowels of Tallon 4,
And shot her with her own phazon that she had spilt upon the floor.

But still, in visor scans of pirates, deadly plants and terminals,
I am the very model of a Metroid Hunting Chozo Gal.

On Aether I then met U-mos, their ancient temple's guardian,
And told him I'd help fix the tricky sitch he found his planet in,

As my Ship-Chan was fixing herself after dastardly attack,
And besides from the Ing I had to get my lost equipment back,

Dark Aether's air was foul but I pressed on to gather back my loot,
And fought Amorbii Three to grab myself a snazzy JoJo suit

In Torvus Depths I unearthed a booster for my Gravity – (bothered for a rhyme)
And sent the massive Alpha Blogg to his dark murky Grave-ity.e

I just got my grapple bipple back from the grapple guardian
Now I'm gonna fight the Chykka Beast and then I'll fight it right again

But still, in visor scans of pirates, deadly plants and terminals,
I am the very model of a Metroid Hunting Chozo Gal.

FPzero (Me):
"I can't believe Tyty's loving dead."

FPzero fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

A Guided Tour of Tallon IV - Let's Play Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime was released on the Nintendo Gamecube back in November 2002, 13 years ago. It was created by Retro Studios, one of Nintendo's second party developers. It was the first game in the Metroid series since 1994's Super Metroid on the SNES. Many fans were excited for the series return but some were put off by the transition from the 2D sidescrolling of Super Metroid to the 1st person of Metroid Prime. Thankfully, the 1st person perspective turned out to be a good thing for most players and the series was fully revitalized. Two direct sequels to this game were released on the Gamecube and Wii before Retro went on to tackle revitalizing the Donkey Kong Country series.

The game retains the isolated exploration that so many fell in love with in previous entries. The world has plenty of backstory to tell but only if you go looking for it. It's just you, a host of enemies and the remnants of an ancient civilization standing in your way of discovering what's really going on on the planet Tallon IV.

Metroid Prime is straight up my favorite game of all time. I love just about everything this game has to offer. It's not a perfect game, but it's pretty close. I've been toying with doing an LP of the game for years now but I've never wanted to do it solo commentary. I was talking about it with my friend Faerie Fortune and was telling her that if I ever did an LP I'd like to have someone along that didn't know anything about the game so I could play it and show them why I love the game so much. As it turns out, she fit my criteria perfectly and so we'll be tackling this LP together.

I've played the game more times than I can count. I've done normal runs, sequence break runs and "speedruns" (they're not actual speedrun quality, just me playing as fast as I can). For this LP however, I'm planning to just play the game really casually and just show off as much as I can. It will be fairly relaxed as we explore the planet and discover its secrets. In a way, I'm playing to show it off to her and just happen to be recording at the same time.

Later, after the main run is complete, I'm planning to play through a second time but this time I'll be using my full bag of sequence breaking tricks to get pretty much every single item out of its intended order. This will be a much faster run because I won't be stopping every few minutes to show Fae some piece of architecture I like for the 40th time.

About spoilers: This game is 13 years old but I'd like it if we discuss later content in spoiler bars please until the main run is complete. Fae hasn't seen the game before at all and she's really enjoying discovering what the game has to offer as we play. Once we're on the sequence breaking run, there's no need for the bars. Additionally, while no plans for this have been made, depending on how this LP goes Fae and I might want to LP the other two Prime games so I'd ask that we don't talk about 2 or 3 in detail at all in this thread.

Gyre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGJtA2N8qx8

Faerie Fortune:
"Hey FP you can shut up now I finally did it"

Phazon-Chan's delivery was successful

Never let Fae and Tyty talk

FeyerbrandX:
"I think you should shake the ball again."

Samus accessorizes with one of Fae's scarves

Tyty:
Where does a Metroid wear its shoes? On its head of course

Chips Challenged:
Space Pirates are bad at technology

"Ya'll missed out on a Phazon Mines specialty."

Bruceski:
"Poor Hive Mecha, he's so lonely. He threw you a party and everything."

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 4, 2017

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

Once we're on the sequence breaking run, there's no need for the bars.

Well that answers the question of what version you're playing.

I still remember the first time I played this.

It was the first time I needed to have the brightness function on my TV off practically 0.

Tried smashing my face around everything in the escape sequence. I think I actually made it through somehow.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I started this sub-series with 3 because it was for Wii and I had a PS2 instead when the GameCube was around, (I know it can play GameCube games but Australia's only :airquote:retro:airquote: game store is an overpriced shithole I refuse to patronise) and while I did buy Trilogy I never got around to playing it, so combined with my interest in speedruns and glitches this LP should be a real treat. :)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Metroid Prime has been high up on my list of favorite games ever since it was released and I've played it though a number of times, but I don't think I've stopped to admire the architecture often enough. I certainly didn't remember the asteroids being breakable either.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Metroid Prime is such a pretty game. It's definitely one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to this. :)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This is interesting to me, because I've seen speedruns of Metroid Prime and I know the gist of what happens, but I don't think I've ever sat down and watched it all the way through. At least not with someone explaining things to me as they go. LPs are always better when the person clearly loves the game.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Oh shi, Metroid Prime. Yeah I'm on board, definitely, and I'll be on board if you keep going with the following games. Really digging how you're going about it too. I'm looking forward to the rest!

Something I like to say in regards to LPs, is that you don't know your favorite game half as well as you think you do until you've seen someone else play it. So this is a great opportunity for sure.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Oh this is gonna be good. I'm already impatient for the next update.

I had no idea you could shoot the asteroids either :aaa:

And yes, Ridley did appear in Super Metroid. He was actually the first enemy you fight in the game! (And was also a boss toward the end.)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Play pinball with Metroid? Nintendo should make a game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime_Pinball

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always wanted to play this game, but it was when Nintendo was in that "more buttons = more fun" phase and could never get the hang of this game. I'll be watching this with interest.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well I'm glad people are enjoying the LP so far. We're certainly having fun making it.

We start exploring the planet. The real game starts here. This episode still has framerate issues but it's the last one with them. I'll put the bonus episode up in a couple of days and then after that numbered episodes will continue going up twice a week.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I just want to say that I'm catching up on the Pikmin LP and that was fantastic timing because I just reached the post where you talk about Frog Nuggets. :3:

It's kind of odd that you get missiles before even the Morph Ball, at least going off the original Metroid and Super, but I suppose the Morph Ball has somewhat of a more significant effect in 3D.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

One thing I really like about Prime is the way it builds an atmosphere so well. The little tutorial level is a neat little horror/mystery segment where you're investigating a derelict vessel trying to find out what happened and fighting off the remnants of its mortally wounded crew. And then when you finish the tutorial the game dumps you in that little clearing with lots of rain and water features to do the water on visor effects, lots of trees and growing life, all those pretty blue glowing things, and the pretty meandering soundtrack above it. The whole thing makes you feel like you're on this big, beautiful planet and now you're just going to go off and explore it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

How speed runny are we talking? Will it be a low%/normal% run?

I haven't really been anywhere near doing Prime in anything resembling fast, but was able to do Super Metroid faster than it was expected to be done.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I probably should have clarified a bit better in the video but I think we got distracted. I shouldn't have said speedrun as much as I should have said sequence breaking. It'll be a faster run but not a speedrun by far. My best time is 2 hours 30 minutes ingame time and the World Record is somewhere just under 1 hour. The second run will be an exploration in how many ways you can get items out of their intended order. I expect it will probably take about half the time the main run does, maybe less.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yiisssssss, Prime 1 is the poo poo. I'll take any LP to just sit back and gush on this game. Looking foward to more.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Hey FP, it's DD. Glad to see you finally start the LP you've been wanting to do.

Only complaint, maybe make the video's public for easier phone watching? :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The little touches in video games are amazing. Like if they didn't have rain drops plinking off of Samus' arm, most people wouldn't care. The fact that they bothered is disproportionately worth SO much to me though. Man, War Wasps are terrifying even in the game. I have a complete phobia of bees.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SystemLogoff posted:

Hey FP, it's DD. Glad to see you finally start the LP you've been wanting to do.

Only complaint, maybe make the video's public for easier phone watching? :v:

I'm happy to be doing it too. I've been wanting to do this game for years. :)

I forget they were set unlisted so I went ahead and made them public. I have my defaults set to unlisted because I've been uploading footage for my Danganronpa LP at the same time and I'm purposefully keeping those unlisted. I'll make all future episodes of this listed publicly as well.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Metroid Prime is a very very pretty game that does some really neat things. Retro Studio at the time was a bunch of tech wizards who are the only people that really figured out the little purple lunchbox. The water droplets when you look up in the rain is still really impressive looking to me.

These really subtle effects are actually missing from the Wii Prime Triology iirc.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I believe what's missing from the Trilogy version are mainly some beam-related particle effects because of the changes they made to aiming: they were having trouble rendering the effects in the correct spot since the cannon arm now moves based on the Wiimote. I don't think it was confirmed by anyone official, but it makes sense.

Apparently some kind of water rippling effects are missing too, but stuff like droplets on the visor are still there.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm glad faerie fortune comes from the same school of thought where you call all video game characters by the title of their game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If I remember right, I believe the beam effects are essentially 2D sprites that are overlaid on top of the arm cannon and ever so slightly scaled and stretched to match the cannon movements. Since the cannon in Prime 1 doesn't really move that much even when manual aiming with R, the scaling wasn't very noticeable. With the free cannon movement of the Trilogy version however, it probably wasn't possible to save the effects without making them into full 3D models like Prime 2 and 3 did.

That said, I don't know why they didn't just do that, nor why the effects like water splashes and ripples were removed.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
God I loved the Metroid Prime series so much. I spent a bunch of time playing around with the cannon and environments to look at all the neat effects. I think my favorite visor effect is from Metroid Prime 2, though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The first Bonus episode. Its a rerecord of episodes 1 and 2 in half the time with a stable framerate and nonsense commentary. ...Except we're not out of the Technical Difficulties Woods yet! I somehow forgot to record game audio so enjoy a bunch of music dubbed in over where the game's soundtrack would be.

Songs used:
0:23 So It Begins... - Vig - https://youtu.be/cqWqHnz8w5A
2:17 Metal Fatigue - Children of the Monkey Machine - https://youtu.be/uJH-qY_bJbE
3:09 Tension (Power Cut) - Metroid Prime 3 - https://youtu.be/FIkg13bR05Y
5:48 Incoming Kraid - Mozzaratti - https://youtu.be/bu7wjWXWsVc
6:44 Escape - Metroid Prime 2 - https://youtu.be/Unkrc1saV2A
10:56 Nemesis - HaunterShadow - https://youtu.be/MlWgp-1gc5A
11:48 Unnamed Frontier - Pyro Paper Planes feat. VikingGuitar - https://youtu.be/YvfE0gPpUeY
13:16 Item Room/Item Acquisition Fanfare - Zack Parrish - https://youtu.be/2nUzNfUk_KQ
13:31, 17:13 Dead Brinstar - HaunterShadow - https://youtu.be/O6WemqBRObk
15:38 Battle with Miniboss - Metroid Prime 2 - https://youtu.be/hh_PlMv8Nlc
17:06 Item Acquisition Fanfare - Stephen Wells - https://youtu.be/RFIb-kusG5A

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is a total tangent (I'm still in the middle of watching the video), but the escape theme disappoints me a little. I love the melody, but it skips half or more of the series (including my personal favourite, Super) and of the actual renditions of the themes, which are only in half or less of the series, one is 8 bit (not intrinsically bad but I'd love to hear a modern rendition) and the rendition from Prime 2 - I dunno, I can't put my finger on it but I'm not a fan. (Bracketed clauses, rendition!)

E: I had another edit calling it "breathy" but that was a moronic description written from memory of it playing five minutes earlier. I am way too tired to accurately describe what I mean but the style isn't great for what's supposed to be an alarming, in-your-face theme.

Since I've gone and written so many :words: about this one piece of music I'll try and make it useful by pointing out that the YouTube link for the escape theme has questionable spoilers about Prime 2 in the title.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 3, 2015

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
I found a Metroid bento, but it's spoilery so these will have to do for now.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Your randomness is why we love you Faerie

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

As for an organic place to bring up Bento boxes, I remember someone describing the cherry blossom area of Brinstar being a place Samus would kick back and have some green tea. If that isn't Bento Box material I don't know what is.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Those bento look fantastic. The pikmin are adorable carrying that fruit.

Botany is pretty cool but alien botany is cooler.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In terms of missing intro items, you also have the Goron TunicVaria Suit and Grappling Hook.

There are a couple of areas I can imagine Fae was stuck on after getting the Morph Ball in Super. The two rows of breakable blocks where the entrance to Kraid was in Metroid 1 can be tricky, and the old escape shaft is some frustratingly unforgiving platforming.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ooooooh I was wondering where Drewseph got the 3 bomb idea for Super Metroid Redesign.

Seriously, this game is so pretty. Almost makes me wanna buy a GameCube. You're doing a great job FPZero, keep it up!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Listening to Faerie Fortune describe things makes me wish I could draw anything resembling Samus, because I want to draw her in her Power Suit with a Goron Tunic now.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Shei-kun posted:

Listening to Faerie Fortune describe things makes me wish I could draw anything resembling Samus, because I want to draw her in her Power Suit with a Goron Tunic now.

Or Link with gigantic shoulders. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It really sounds like something from an Awkward Zombie comic.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Shei-kun posted:

Fun fact about me describing things actually, I've never played a Fire Emblem game so FP gave me a sprite sheet for a bunch of FE6 (I think?) characters and had me describe them. It was about an hour of me describing such memorable characters as Spud, Nigel Thornberry, Red Goku, Deputy King and Cotton Candy Elemental and it was a really really fun time.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Fun fact about me describing things actually, I've never played a Fire Emblem game so FP gave me a sprite sheet for a bunch of FE6 (I think?) characters and had me describe them. It was about an hour of me describing such memorable characters as Spud, Nigel Thornberry, Red Goku, Deputy King and Cotton Candy Elemental and it was a really really fun time.

FP is currently ROM hacking FE 7 (in addition to doing two LPs of different formats, holy poo poo!), so while I don't mean to presume that would be my guess. I'd love to see a side by side of the sprites and your names for them. :allears:

E: i hope spud turns out to be one of the useless ones

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 8, 2015

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It was FE7 that we did because 6 has less good portraits and way more repeats. If I remember right, Eliwood became Red Goku, Hector was Blue Goku, Dorcas was Spud, and Florina was the Cotton Candy Elemental. Nigel Thornberry was some boss and I don't remember who Deputy King was. Sadly there's no recorded audio of it or anything so putting names to portraits wouldn't be possible right now. I might put all of Awful Emblem's portraits on a sheet and give them to her some time.

Also I am bad about taking on many projects at once, yes.

-----

We fight a boss and explore cool vaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fun fact: Bomb slots don't need you to put the bomb actually in the slot. They check if a bomb goes off nearby if the morph ball is inside. So if you watch speed runners playing this game you'll often see them actually drop the bomb off a little bit early, outside of the bomb slot, so that the bomb goes off faster/switch is activated sooner.

Likewise, Flaahgrah's bomb slot weakpoints are actually active at all times, you just can't get through the channels. Speed runners will do some crazy jump to just set the morph ball right next to the bomb slot and drop bombs Flahgraah's bomb slots just check for nearby detonations and don't need Samus to slot into them.

Also, there's later pirate lore about the pirates trying to recreate Samus's morph ball. It...does not go well. It's a mystery even in-game too.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread