Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always wanted to play this game, but it was when Nintendo was in that "more buttons = more fun" phase and could never get the hang of this game. I'll be watching this with interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ooooooh I was wondering where Drewseph got the 3 bomb idea for Super Metroid Redesign.

Seriously, this game is so pretty. Almost makes me wanna buy a GameCube. You're doing a great job FPZero, keep it up!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never get used to seeing Samus without shoulder pads, even in Super Metroid when it's far subtler. She's a true woman of the 80's.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

AlphaKretin posted:

Also Samus has had bird blood since she was a kid (going off the fake statue fights in Super they're a bit under twice her suit-clad size) and either is buff enough to constantly use the Power Suit, or if it's augmentation that isn't an issue to wear she's still constantly jumping around and fighting. It's a wonder she's even in the same realm as present human heights.

The Power Suit is held on by sheer force of will and emotion. If she's rattled, can't concentrate, or just chooses to take it off it disappears. But it's also solid, since she's seen holding her helmet several times.

Although some of that is taken from Other M and gently caress that Samus

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So the suit is an either/or kinda thing. But that's far from Other M's greatest flaw. It took the biggest thing the first games did right and took it away. Railroading is the opposite of what the series is known for

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just wish they'd make a game that takes place after Fusion.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
But also 10 fully powered Samuses is pretty drat horrifying. Especially when you add in the fact that their only instincts are self preservation and reproduction. Fusion had a lot of potential to be horror based, but in the end the only encounters with SA-X that stick out in my mind are the final one, and the one in Sector 2 after fighting the spider boss.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

NGDBSS posted:

The funny thing about that tube hallway made of Bendezium is that it's just one of many references to a setpiece back in Super Metroid. See, in that game you could get access to Maridia either by entering from the top (which was probably the best way considering that you also got an upgrade that mattered a lot for that zone) or from the bottom. But to enter from the bottom, you had to enter a similar tube hallway and blow it up from the inside with a different upgrade that we don't have yet. Since then, the Metroid games (Prime 1/2 and Fusion at least, not sure about Prime 3 or Hunters, doubtful about Other M considering how late you got that loving upgrade :suicide:) have found a way to shoehorn in a similar setpiece as part of one of the older callbacks in video game history.

Also, another way to take out those turrets with relative impunity (especially if you don't have a version with Missile Cancelling) is to stunlock them with half-charged shots. (You can figure out your charge level by watching the meter on the side of the targeting reticle.)

I wouldn't say it's the best way since short of a small bug, you can't get where you need to coming in from the top. That tube has to be destroyed at one point or another.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maridia makes full use of metal doors (pre-Draygon) and one strategically placed green gate. As far as I know, it's impossible to get to Draygon coming from the top without using the green gate bug (glitch? exploit?).

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Kurieg posted:

It got better, necessitating her doing it harder the second time.

I think it was later retconned that she just blew up Tourian the first time.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My fault. My brain isn't working too well today.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So if the beams don't stack, is the Power Beam pretty much useless now?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh cool. So all the beams remain useful throughout the game. Although I assume with the switch to 3D the Ice Beam gets taken back a couple notches. I'd think it'd be harder to jump onto frozen enemies in 3D.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If the Space Pirates really wanted to gently caress up Samus' day they should set up base on a planet with no Chozo ruins.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Your talk about Metroids sucking out souls now has me picturing Dementors from Harry Potter actually being Metroids under the cloak

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh wow! I forgot all about the Spider Ball in Metroid II. Although I guess if it worked the same way as it did then, you'd have access to everywhere immediately.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Do you think the way Samus holds her hand for the Wave Beam is all 5 fingers out because it's like she's waving hi?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
And I thought Redesign was big...holy poo poo.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

AlphaKretin posted:

God drat, there are a lot of ways to remember the difference between stalactite and stalagmite.

Speaking of huge maps of Super Metroid, I used to have a huge image which was the in-game map of Super Metroid with each tile replaced by the actual graphics for the area. Unfortunately it was several computers ago and I never saw the whole thing because I couldn't actually open it without the old shitbox crashing. I wonder if I could find it again?

That would have helped me so much as a kid. I hate the maps in that game, they don't help with poo poo.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Glad I'm not the only one who spent his snow days playing videogames. When there's 2 feet of snow on the roads and you live on the side of a mountain you're basically trapped until they plow your road. Which took them 4 days.

Also I love that the charging Ice Beam looks like a spinning block of ice.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, I thought a first person shooter involving worlds as big as Metroid's tend to be would take hours upon hours of fumbling blindly but the game does a really good job of pointing you in the right direction. Are the other 2 good about that?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So what are some of your favorite Super Metroid hacks, FPzero?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually played both Redesigns and feel like they both have their merits. Tourian in the Axeil Edition, however, is a bitch and a half and is the only real problem I have with it. And the fact that the first chuck of the game is going back and forth to opposite ends of the fairly large map.

I tried Super Metroid Zero Mission, but didn't like it too much. I didn't get too far but nothing really stood out to me as particularly well, but maybe I'll give it another shot on my next day off. The rest are all new to me and look fairly interesting. I might give them a shot.

But the only other ones I've played and beaten are Legacy, Limit, and Golden Dawn. Legacy was my favorite. It captured the spirit of the original very well I think. I remember finding the Ice Beam last and I was impressed with what they did with it's location. Limit had a couple cool ideas (the Blue Suit room sticks out the most), but it's dick moves were massive. And Golden Dawn was just ridiculous.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Exactly. Like I love that secret room idea. It's not missable, there's nothing there that you won't get eventually anyways (except apparently the Hyper Beam), it's simply a cool little secret. I like seeing other people's ideas. Programming and computers have never been my forte, but I've had tons of ideas to modify games like Super Metroid. I'd love to team up with someone someday and work on something like that, see what I can do with help from someone more skilled than I, even if it's just fooling around. From what I've seen, there's a ton you can do to make a completely different game. Hell, Phazon almost DOES look totally different.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The GBA games are the big guilty ones there. Lots of optional Shinesparking for getting 100% of the expansions. I think just to get to the end at most you need Speed Booster somersaulting.

And that one drat Missile Expansion in Maridia :bang:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's really pretty, FPzero. I like the light snow and that water background was always my favorite from the original (I've always been a sucker for pretty much anything about water). Too bad it was only in one room. You've got a good eye for color.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Is there a Spring Ball equivalent in these games? Seems like it would be handy for Spider Ball puzzles.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
For some reason, Phazon makes me think about the scent of paint.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 28, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember playing the original as a kid with my mom and brothers. My mom woke us all up at like 1 in the morning when she finally beat Mother Brain. She was so excited.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
At least now I know where Drewseph got the idea for 12 Chozo Guardians from.

You can really tell how much time they spent on this game. I like that you have to topple the tower to get an artifact, but it begs the question of how exactly the Chozo knew there'd be a tower there blocking access.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at this game. It's absolutely gorgeous. And oddly for once, my favorite visuals aren't the water related ones. And Metroid has always been good about making sure to tell you "Hey, this place is like, right there, but come back when you've got a powerup". They don't really hide where you need to go, but they make sure you're ready.

Hey Fae, do you watch Steven Universe?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ah yes, 99%. For about 15 years I was stuck at 99% for Super Metroid...and then I found the last one on my way out of Lower Norfair and I didn't stop partying in celebration for about 3 days.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I had a gorgeous drawing of Meta Ridley that I kept as my desktop background for about a decade. Dragons are awesome.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Will you guys be doing Echoes and Corruption?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
D'awwww friendship is magic you guys!

Were you guys friends before LP'ing together?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Metroid has always had the coolest glitches. Secret Worlds, the Time-Space Beam, all that good stuff.

Also, I remember one of my friends way back when complaining about how this game had no Speed Booster. It 194% would not work in this game. At all.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That glitch with the Spider Ball rail reminds me of something but since I'm rapidly approaching 24 hours of being awake, I'll be dammed if I can remember what it is. It's amazing how much more can be messed with in 3D versus 2D.

Also Fae, my friends and I regularly buy these for each other and it seems like something right up your alley. I even keep one on the dashboard of my car.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 3, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

KieranWalker posted:

Yeah, I'd say the only game designed with the intention of letting the player do that kind of stuff was Zero Mission. They intentionally built the game to make sequence breaking and low% runs possible--to an extent, at least. I'm not sure if they had any idea how far people would go with it.

Fusion had one intentional sequence break, which was more of an easter egg because once you pulled it off, the game was like "hahaha, that's cute, now get back to work" and forced you to go back for the thing you skipped anyway. But the way Fusion is programmed, actually collecting the major items out of intended order isn't even possible to begin with.

The upgrades are the triggers for various plot flags, aren't they?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
OK I'm still about 3 steps past exhausted so let's see if I get this.

You're in the section where you have to restore power to the BSL. Somehow I skip Yakuza and go straight for Nettori. Instead of getting the Plasma Beam from Nettori, I'd get the Space Jump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Thardus' weakness to Plasma is probably just a leftover piece of data. He may have been placed later in the game earlier on in development (likely, considering he takes a while to beat) or the Plasma Beam was placed earlier in the game early in development (also likely, considering the vague elemental system in the game). There's also the possibility of a bored intern.

Also, I had an art I was working on but I all of a sudden had 21 days to find a place to live so that took priority.

• Locked thread