Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
So I seem to recall reading in the game text that the morph ball is 1 meter diameter. Does that mean that Samus is 4 meters tall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The explanation I've heard is consistently better nutrition.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Anglerfish are really weird.

wikipedia posted:

Some anglerfish, like those of the Ceratiidae, or sea devils, employ an unusual mating method. Because individuals are locally rare, encounters are also very rare. Therefore, finding a mate is problematic. When scientists first started capturing ceratioid anglerfish, they noticed that all of the specimens were female. These individuals were a few centimetres in size and almost all of them had what appeared to be parasites attached to them. It turned out that these "parasites" were highly reduced male ceratioids. This indicates the anglerfish use a polyandrous mating system.

Certain ceratioids rely on parabiotic reproduction. Free-living males and unparasitized females in these species never have fully developed gonads. Thus, males never mature without parasitizing a female, and die if they can't find one.[2] At birth, male ceratioids are already equipped with extremely well-developed olfactory organs[16] that detect scents in the water. Males of some species also develop large, highly specialized eyes that may aid in identifying mates in dark environments. The male ceratioid lives solely to find and mate with a female. They are significantly smaller than a female anglerfish, and may have trouble finding food in the deep sea. Furthermore, growth of the alimentary canals of some males becomes stunted, preventing them from feeding. Some taxa have jaws that are never suitable or effective for prey capture.[16] These features mean the male must quickly find a female anglerfish to prevent death. The sensitive olfactory organs help the male to detect the pheromones that signal the proximity of a female anglerfish.

This totally reads like something people would make up for the metroid universe.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I think fae was obliquely referencing Trainspotting and didn't feel like explaining to FP.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Man, both series that contributed to the name Metroidvania are dead now. :smith:

Castlevania is a pachinko series now, I've heard.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Cute, but they're so sensitive to stress that every picture you see where one is being held or is in a box it probably died a few days later from the stress of the experience. Please don't pick them up or even go near them if you happen to see them in the Argentina grasslands.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Decimation (the killing of 1 in 10 of the captured enemy forces) was actually considered merciful and very forward thinking. The remaining soldiers were conscripted and then had the same rights to land as the invading soldiers, and being a soldier for Rome actually increased your average lifespan despite all the battles.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Zebulon posted:

From what I remember of the stories behind the development of Prime 3 they originally intended a far more open game where Samus legit hunted down bounties on various planets. Basically Nintendo doesn't understand what the gently caress a bounty hunter actually is and think she's just some sort of gopher-merc for the Federation whenever they need more firepower.

I figured you were exaggerating or something but I found the article that talks about it. Sakamoto and Japan really didn't understand why people liked metroid at all, did they?

IGN posted:

For Prime 3, Retro needed a new gimmick and there was a great divide between the studio and Tanabe about what that should be. What they could agree on was Aran's character -- at least, for the most part. "Samus could best be summarized, at least in my mind, as Boba-Fett with a sense of honor. Everybody hears bounty hunter and, of course, Boba-Fett is synonymous with that for good reason: he's a very compelling character," says Walker. "But Samus has a sense of compassion and honor where she's not in it for the money. She does it to protect humanity. And her upbringing and being raised by the Chozo gave her that sense of nobility that I think many characters lack."

Samus really isn't about the money, a truth that confused the developer -- and me, upon hearing this story -- when it presented Nintendo a gameplay design that appealed to Aran's chosen occupation. "We were looking for something more along the lines of a mission-based game where Samus collected bounties. And for the life of us we couldn't understand why [Nintendo was] being so resistive to that concept. And then over the period of days we came to understand that their definition of a bounty hunter is not a bounty hunter. It is not someone who brings in bad guys for money. That concept was completely outside of their definition," says Walker. Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts. (Someone should tell Nintendo that Aran has officially been labeled a bounty hunter for two decades now, a slight inconsistency.) "So we started joking that Samus was actually a pro-bono hunter. And occasionally we'll run into those nuances of translation and culture that can sometimes derail us for days."

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I thought he got the idea from speedrunners?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Is that stack functional in some way?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Wasn't there a video like this for Ocarina? I checked her channel and couldn't find it, but I seem to remember it was with thread submitted stuff. Did it get DMCAed for some weird reason?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not everything physical has an up.

Does a random rock floating in space have an up?

The concept of up depends on there being gravity.

Rumda posted:

Yeah no a concept of up in a zero gravity environment is from the reference point of an arbitrary surface

The enemy's gate is down.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You can actually buy a jellyfish aquarium & jellyfish for reasonable-ish prices for such a niche purchase(between $200-$400 total last I saw for aquarium, some food and 1 to 3 jellies. Price depends on if you get a kit on sale or not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Nice post username combo.

• Locked thread