Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Well, if you go by each tile in the old games being about 3ft/2m tall that makes perfect sense.

Honestly the best thing about the morph ball is that it came to being entirely because the creators of the original Metroid were lazy. They couldn't get a sprite of Samus crawling to look good, nor could they work out the mechanics, so instead they had her turn into a small little ball which let them create all sorts of nifty mechanics that were much more fun then "slowly crawl through air ducts".

Which makes the ending of Zero Mission pretty funny.

This LP got me to start replaying the game. Still so good.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Speaking of Bird-People magic, the Chozo are one of my favorite things about this series. Mysterious Alien Bird People that raised the protagonist and provided her with the tools to avenge her family/colony, which the Space Pirates wiped out, on the one hand. On the other hand, they're an extra-dimensional ascended race that know in at least broad strokes if not specifics everything that is going to happen, and took Samus in because she needed what they had to give her in order for her to do the things that she ends up doing, and they are playing out their parts.

That's why we see references to the Hunter in these ruins that clearly pre-date Samus' contact with the Chozo, and why upgrades to her power suit can be found everywhere she just happens to be; they knew she was going to be there and that she would need them, centuries before her birth. And yet with some very specific exceptions (in this particular game, in fact), they never actually show up.

With regards to Fusion and Other M, I maintain that Fusion is, in spite of the sour taste Other M has left on it retroactively, the second best of the side-scrolling Metroids (Zero Mission holds the top spot as far as I'm concerned). I think that's partly due to the setting; it's a horror game, which was a first for the series. Samus wakes up on a failing space station, the crew of which is dead. You get a little body horror from Samus having been physically altered, first by the X-Parasite and then by the infusion of Metroid DNA, making her into something a little bit closer to her long running enemy. She had to be surgically cut out of the outer layers of her suit, and it's not clear that she can ever come out of it again. And I'll never forget the first time the SA-X Kool-Aid manned her way through a wall moments after you take the elevator in the room; that moment of "Hey, that looks exactly like the Gravity Suit Samus. But we just left the room. Oh. Oh god. Is that a clone? Are we the clone? Is that the twist? Oh god what is going on here!?". I will grant that, all the poo poo with Adam, when the game first came out, was a little annoying, but the game play was fun and he wasn't completely terrible, so it was easy to give it a pass. Now all you see, going back, is "Goddamit Adam you prick, you're doing that loving Authorization poo poo all over again gently caress YOU SAKAMOTO".

I hope you do end up doing Prime 2 and 3, I never got to finish 3 before my Wii decided it just didn't want to work any more.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
To be fair I was pretty loving tired when I wrote that. Also I didn't know they had redone the Chozo lore in later releases, so that's interesting.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I liked Fusion even when it came out, which was seen as a bit of a controversial opinion, because people had this idea that Metroid games were all about certain things that it did not follow, but that Metroid Prime allowed, somewhat.

I feel happier knowing it is no longer considered the dark horse in the series thanks to Other M ruining the franchise utterly, but I don't like that Other M still drags it down by using elements from Fusion in it self.

It uses them wrong, but that doesn't always work as an argument everywhere.

Yeah, Other M is clearly what Sakamoto wanted to make when he made Fusion, which makes it difficult to be a fan of it. Really, it's another good example of how it's important not to let the director and his "vision" run roughshod over making an actually good game/movie/etc. See also the Star Wars prequels.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Retro put a ton of thought into that arm cannon, as the menu for Prime 3 shows quite succinctly.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Before Other M came out I was hoping for a sequel that's like a Metroid 2 remake and your mission is to kill all Metroids and the Metroid Queen, only at some point you realize it's a sequel to Fusion, the "Queen" is actually Samus, and you're some Federation goon using mocks of her suit.

Your suit having been based on what the Federation had reverse engineered of her suit during Fusion. The Federation tells you that the Metroid Queen has taken over a Federation Research facility, and that it's your mission to eliminate the Metroids and destroy the facility. You get there and your orders increasingly make less and less sense, as they ask you to retrieve samples of Metroid bio-data, download research logs that subtly hint at the Metroids having been created by the Federation, etc. Then Fusion-suited Samus shows up, which is a bit of a mind-gently caress because "what the hell I'm Samus" and she kicks your rear end, leaching your energy Metroid style in a first person cutscene until you're down to 1 energy, at which point she rips your helmet off (probably figuring you're another SA-X or something), then backs away in shock. At this point the Federation decides to blast the site from orbit, and Samus is caught in the explosion, losing her Ice Beam (a weapon that up until this point you have not had, relying entirely on missiles and the power beam + assorted authorized upgrades). Samus escapes but leaves the upgrade behind, which you pick up. At this point your commanders freak out because you've upgraded your suit without permission, and declare your mission failed and order you to stand down. Some mooks show up, tell you to surrender, and then one of them says "Surrender? I though we were supposed to kill him?" at which point everyone starts firing. The rest of the game is spent just trying to get the hell out of the facility while being hunted by the Federation, the Metroids in the base, and Samus Freaking Aran. Have only the first quarter of the game comprise everything up to that point, and when everything goes to hell the game lets you off the rails and it plays just like another Prime game, hidden upgrades and all. The suitless twist at the end is that you're a dude.

Sakamoto will never let it happen.
:negative:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I was with you right up until you didn't go with 'you're a Ridley Metroid' as the surprise twist.

That or you're an SA-X would be a hilarious twist, yes.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

It's a full game where you play as samus in a crashed research base on a planet and you're trying to get to your ship and leave. The big twist at the end is that you're just sa-x and you find this out by looking into a mirror and seeing that your helmet is empty. :iiam:

Also I love the videos, keep it up guys!

Yeeeesssss

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

A classic point & click adventure game where you play a Space Pirate scientist and at some point you're actually supposed to rub the new dangerous-looking item you get on literally everything to proceed. Bad things happen.

A legit Sierra-style point and click adventure as a Space Pirate Scientist would be hilarious. All of the bullshit Sierra deaths would involve Samus randomly walking into the room and killing you.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
FP, I know we're several pages away from the romhacking discussion, but I've been trying to get some of your suggestions working and I keep hitting brick walls.

While trying to stay away from :files: as much as I can, there appears to be at *least* two versions of the Super Metroid ROM: Super Metroid (Japan, USA) (En,Ja), which worked for SM:Phazon, and Super Metroid (E) [!], which I think is the one people use for speedrunning?

I'm running SNES9x and using the auto-patcher (the ips file having been renamed accordingly and the extension left as is), but neither of the roms are working with SM:Eris. I even tried using LunarIPS to make a patched ROM and it didn't run. Any hints to get these things running? I've tried searching the forums but, as usual, the community is entirely unconcerned with explaining how to get poo poo running when 99% of their audience already knows how. (A common enough issue in hacking communities.)

*EDIT*
Came across this during my "How can I make this poo poo work" adventure, had to share.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 21, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

FPzero posted:

Ah yeah, there's an extra step with some hacks. You want to use the (JU) version for all romhacks but more importantly you need to determine if the hack is for a headered or unheadered rom. The header on the rom is an extra 512 bytes that has some significance but is also unnecessary. Most recent Super Metroid hacks are for unheadered roms. A headered rom will be 3073 KB big, an unheadered one will be 3072 KB. Getting an unheadered rom can be tricky sometimes but one way I remember to do it is to load the rom into the Super Metroid editor, SMILE and one of the options in the Tools menu should be to add/remove headers. I recommend using this to get yourself a clean version of both the headered and unheadered roms and then if a hack doesn't work using one of them, try the other.

Hopefully that helps.

So it turns out that the JU version I had was apparently not super hack-friendly, and had been saved as a .sfc extension instead of .smc, which apparently matters. Once I figured out how smile worked I was in business.

Holy crap Eris and Phazon are frustrating. Phazon led me to a techy version of the spore boss (that I couldn't figure out how to beat, also I somehow acquired Super Missiles before regular missiles?). Eris seemed pretty great and then I got stuck in a lake.

Time to test the rest of the list.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Beat Spore Spawn, got stuck trying to climb back up out of his area. Think I've figured out why too. For some reason (and I've watched a couple of other videos to confirm), my game seems to be running way the gently caress slower than it should be. Samus/Dark Samus isn't reaching top speed (without the speed booster), and therefore I'm not getting the right distance out of my jumps.

I checked the SNes9x website and I'm absolutely using the most recent version, and I tried making some of the adjustments listed in the forums. No dice. Oh well.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

So you inspired me to give Space Station 13 a try. I saw someone dragging a body around so I followed them. Then bats appeared and I got paralyzed. When I could speak, I asked a clown to call a medic. The clown injected me with meth (I think) and tried to kill me. Then someone turned into a cyborg. A lot of people were complaining I was shaking people as a vampire so I guess someone took my ID badge and caused havok?

I have no idea what happened. I'd give it a shot again but eventually my controls locked up and didn't respond so I'm on the fence. I just have no idea what the gently caress happened. :psyduck:

SpaceStation13.txt :allears:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

FrankZP posted:

It's interesting how the GalFed trooper armor also has an arm-mounted weapon, though its placement on top of and almost parallel to the forearm instead of having the barrel as a forward projection of the gauntlet piece makes it look more closely related to Space Pirate weaponry than to Samus' suit design. It kind of reinforces how Chozo armor seems well-adapted to infantry tactics of the era while still having its own specific approach to the technological/engineering details.

I'll go a step further and suggest that Space-Pirate/Gal-Fed Power-Suit designs seem to be the powers of the day basing their designs off of old Chozo stuff that they know exist/existed, but have to reverse-engineer because they can't directly interface with it/it only reveals itself to Samus, as she is apparently their sole remaining physical representative in the universe.

I honestly would love to see the Metroid universe opened up and expanded upon, because the Major Players of the setting (The Galactic Federation and the Space Pirates) are pretty flat, the only real difference between the two being that the Federation are "Usually Good Guys With An Unhealthy Metroid Fixation" and the Pirates "Stupidly Evil Guys With An Unhealthy Metroid Fixation And A Crippling Phazon Addiction", while the interesting Player (The Chozo) are all but unpresent.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

I like this, but wish the bottom said "IT'S A LIVING" instead.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

The sheer despair in these logs is hilarious.

Just wait for the third game. I didn't think it would be possible to feel bad for the Pirates.

I was wrong.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Kind of tangentally related but AM2R finally was released just in time for Metroid's 30th anniversary.

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

Might be another fun little side project or stream FPZero and Fae could do at some point.

Can confirm, AM2R is really good.

I kind of wish it had a classic Metroid soundtrack instead of the very much Metroid-but-with-the-numbers-filed-off one it does have, but still.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Holy poo poo AM2R throws upgrades at you so fast. I've killed a handful of Alpha Metroids and ~2 minibosses, and I've already got Varia, most of the auxiliary upgrades (morph, bombs, spider, spring ball, high jump), and charge and wave beams. I've nearly got 100 missiles and three energy tanks and can see that I've still missed a gently caress-ton of upgrades (that I may just not be able to access yet).

Boss fights are ridiculous in this though, holy poo poo.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

I didn't know that there was a 3D remake. LOL at faking a cease-and-desist though. I'm sorta hoping that's true just because holy poo poo what a bunch of idiots.

That's the first I've heard of it. There was a goon involved in the Crimson Echoes mod, posted a bunch in the Chrono Trigger LP from... was that last year? They were riding the "There was a C&D" train pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Someone re-write Macbeth but with Metroid characters.

There's something rotten on Talon IV.

• Locked thread