Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

Once we're on the sequence breaking run, there's no need for the bars.

Well that answers the question of what version you're playing.

I still remember the first time I played this.

It was the first time I needed to have the brightness function on my TV off practically 0.

Tried smashing my face around everything in the escape sequence. I think I actually made it through somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

How speed runny are we talking? Will it be a low%/normal% run?

I haven't really been anywhere near doing Prime in anything resembling fast, but was able to do Super Metroid faster than it was expected to be done.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

As for an organic place to bring up Bento boxes, I remember someone describing the cherry blossom area of Brinstar being a place Samus would kick back and have some green tea. If that isn't Bento Box material I don't know what is.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I thought some log or maybe something from Nintendo Power in the Super Metroid age gave her height as 6' (or maybe 2m with armor), and the ball being 1m in diameter.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"How does that not melt the snow underneath?"

Cold fusion, duh :suicide:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

By Fusion's explanation. The suit is a biomechanical thing that she has to put on and take off, though in Prime 3 she can teleport it on via her ship when she's physically in her ship. The doctors can't remove it in Fusion because she is A: Unconcious and B: the X has infected both her and the suit and is making it hard for them to figure out where one starts and the other stops. The inclusion of Metroid DNA caused both her and her suit to mutate because they're both physical things.

But then in Other M it turned into a hard-light hologram summoned by willpower because that let them strip samus out of her armor whenever it was convenient for the plot.

Zero Mission did the similar thing. Since she took it off at the midway point it went down with the ship.

I guess in Super Metroid might have been too, or just the fact that the suit takes so much damage it explodes.

Why she didn't freak out and become zero suit Samus whenever SA-X pops up? Fusion is a better game is why. And I am deeply irritated that Other M is a thing that justifies me typing that.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Other M just made Samus so much worse.

Besides the weakening of the character, making her stupid by retconning it in between Super and Fusion.

The crazy Umbrella space lab being nearly a carbon copy of the bottle ship. She doesn't bat an eye about Nightmare being stuck in the freezer, because the first one was such a bastion of peace. Doesn't connect the dots about the Metroids. I really wish that beyond the one Easter Egg once you get the Gravity Suit wasn't the only thing you could do, and sequence break the gently caress out of Fusion and yell "gently caress you Ghost AI Dad" :thumbsdown:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

We now return you to your "gently caress Other M" chat.

Eah, uck that other mucker

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Wouldn't the star be Tallon since we're on Tallon IV?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Your talk about Metroids sucking out souls now has me picturing Dementors from Harry Potter actually being Metroids under the cloak

Bombs are fueled by love, and missiles are chocolate. Super Missiles are peanut butter in a full chocolate jacket.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Do you think the way Samus holds her hand for the Wave Beam is all 5 fingers out because it's like she's waving hi?

Because Paper beats rock, duh.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

My view while we're recording looks like esports commentary with Samus sponsored by Phazon Energy Drinks

That makes me think, is FP going to do Echoes and Corruption in the same way? Because the sponsorship thing just gave me a (bad, as always) idea.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

I am going to come to your house and replace all of your pens with ones that don't work :colbert:

That and the sock things are an ancient Chinese curses aren't they?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You're so lucky painkillers do anything. Once I took a double dose of vicodin and benadril and all it did was make me a little wobbly. No pain relief or good side effects.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Some kind of graham cracker encrusted flan?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Paper Tardigrade and the Thousand Year Stare.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Fae Zone Bad Idea Mines, please keep all arms and legs inside the tour bus at all times.
But what if listening to you I miss the chance to high five a gigantic crystal of Fae Zone at high speeds?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Is there a Spring Ball equivalent in these games? Seems like it would be handy for Spider Ball puzzles.

I think it was mentioned in an earlier video, but spoilering just in case Prime 3 did it with the move to Wii, and I think the Trilogy collection implimented it in the first 2.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

The in-game notes on the Phazon Suit describe it as some sort of viral corruption. I don't think that's how radiation works either, but like Death Trap said, Phazon does pretty much whatever the gently caress it wants.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Logic, horrible stuff that should all rights cause ultra-cancer? Nah, it makes you magic.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One question: do you refer to it as ghetto jump?

If so, then I have an idea. If not, you're making it hard on me to make other people gouge out their eyes.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like a hammer.

That explains Samus's outlook on life. When the only tool you've got is a powered doom suit hammer, everything looks combustible like a nail.

And your pro inciderator drone strat of ship-chan face tanking was impressive.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 19, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

We're still talking it over but leaning towards Yes.

I think you should shake the ball again.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I want woodcut metroid to be this series' weird different style game (like paper mario or wooly world / clay kirby)

Okami but Metroid would be a loving awesome thing to happen. Shinesparking with grass bursting behind Samus would be a wonderful thing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

That sounds disconcertingly similar to the Infinite Improbability Drive.

Also theoretical Warp 10 from Star Trek. Since Fae or FP didn't turn into a penguin or a bowl of petunias it's probably Warp 10.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of school chairs, I miss the school desk combos. I was able to crack my back in them. Hook a leg around one of the legs and twist, or push off on the desk.

e: Metroid2002 was where I first saw the sub hour 100% super metroid run. Hasn't updated really since Corruption though, aside from maybe one or two small tricks, sadly.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 3, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm getting the feeling that in 2D metroid games, the developers intended for sequence breaking by highly skilled players, but in 3D games, it's much more based on abusing geometry and glitches, is that accurate?

Honestly, there was no developer intention, aside from maybe Zero Mission. In Prime I remember reading something where when they found out about the concept of speed running the game, they were practically offended. That's why future versions of Prime eliminated the lock-on long jump trick. And Prime 2 and 3 were different animals to break.

As for the 2D ones, the tricks were either things they overlooked (why would you think to check if a low arcing running jump followed by a very unusual button combination would let you maintain momentum into a morph ball?) or programming optimization (no need to continuously check if you're running? If you're running after 4 steps, you were probably holding down the button the first 3, also you were probably holding it down continuously rather than only ever specific frame we bother to run the speed boster check sequence.)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Phae... er Fae made a phazon blue scarf. She revealed this fact in my presence.

That was her first mistake.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Spider Menu Spider Menu Does whatever a Spider Cando

Also, at least 30 individual attackers? In a row?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Crank up the Spanish Flea!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

When I first played echoes and got to the first pirate room, I was being slow through the hallway, and scanned one of their boxes before they triggered to attack. Right when the scan was complete and I read "Pirate Crate" the first few notes of their theme kicked in, so it was very well timed, even though I didn't mean it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I know its the space pirates who are having the bad day, but no one has yet made an art with a space pirate with a tardigrade on its head. Also I'm surprised I haven't been exposed to enough Faezon to have put tardigrade in my browser dictionary since it keeps telling me its a typo.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You didn't complete the thought of who the Federation Hero would be. I think you meant Samus would be Chozo.

Is it...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Materant posted:

Welp. RIP AM2R. Taken before its time. I'm surprised it took that long, honestly.

Its in the wild now, it broke containment. It will reproduce and flourish and thrive in this desolate void where we haven't had a Metroid game in 10 years. 10 years! The other one wasn't authorized

I hope Metroid Dread, if it ever comes out will be Samus hunting down and trying to wipe out this game... of her hunting down and wiping out metroids.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

If she took off with the energy, it'd mean the Ing couldn't get it and the planet is saved... for a given value of saved. If your given value of saved includes a bifurcated hellscape.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I still just love the skybox outside. It's like... it's raining, but they tried to make it look "tech-y"? So you end up with the sky glowing while lines run down it like someone said "WHAT IF SAMUS WAS IN A COMPUTER?"

Samus is Goku Jesus Neo. Her name is an anagram for Arms Sauna.

Sorry if that's a spoiler.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

I forgot to record video but the audio was pretty good so here's a "podcast" episode where almost nothing actually happens because it's mostly just pre-recording chatter followed by a little bit of gameplay that was lost to the ether.

Lost to the Aether? Do you now need to go out and defeat the LP Guardian to reclaim recording tools?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

Wasn't there a video like this for Ocarina? I checked her channel and couldn't find it, but I seem to remember it was with thread submitted stuff. Did it get DMCAed for some weird reason?

There was a forest temple thing, but it was just audio.

There was supposed to be a video compilation of fanart, but it never came.

So my horrible horrible hand drawn garbage will never see the light of day. Now my GIMP made hell scapes on the other hand...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Early 90s had gun repair too. Then bad things happened.

Now different bad things happen, like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Samus, blowing up planets is one thing. Blowing up wi-fi hot spots are another.

• Locked thread