Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Metroid Prime has been high up on my list of favorite games ever since it was released and I've played it though a number of times, but I don't think I've stopped to admire the architecture often enough. I certainly didn't remember the asteroids being breakable either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I believe what's missing from the Trilogy version are mainly some beam-related particle effects because of the changes they made to aiming: they were having trouble rendering the effects in the correct spot since the cannon arm now moves based on the Wiimote. I don't think it was confirmed by anyone official, but it makes sense.

Apparently some kind of water rippling effects are missing too, but stuff like droplets on the visor are still there.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, it depends on the game, but generally speaking the diameter of the Morph Ball is about a little less than a half of the Power Suit's height. Samus herself isn't quite as tall as the Suit, and I'd imagine that if the tunnels are about one meter in diameter, obviously the Morph Ball has to be a little less than that.

At any rate, the Ball is larger than it would seem at first. It's bigger than usual in the Prime games too.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kurieg posted:

One of Other M's less remembered retcons was making it so the aliens commonly referred to as Space pirates are suddenly Native to Zebes. This also makes 1/3rd of Prime 3 incredibly confusing if you play them in the wrong order.

Them being Zebesians doesn't really mean they're suddenly native to Zebes. It's like most Americans aren't really historically "native" to America.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kurieg posted:

Either way, even if you're right it makes Samus look fairly ignorant of her primary foe. Since that would be roughly equivalent of someone finding a cybernetically enhanced British person and calling them a "Cyber-American".

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But its stupid as hell a naming convention.

I didn't say it was a good name, just that the case can be made and that it doesn't mean Other M utterly retconned that particular piece of lore. Regardless, I can understand calling those particular pirates "Zebesian Space Pirates" although it's a bit of a mouthful.

Generally speaking I'd prefer for the world to collectively agree that Other M doesn't exist but somehow that blight rears up its ugly head everywhere.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
C-stick isn't used for movement in any way. Aiming around is done by holding R, which makes Samus stand in place.

I haven't done rom hacking myself but I'm fairly certain hacking in a new input scheme would be a pretty ridiculously hard job, not the least of which would be essentially trying to replicate the moving arm cannon that Trilogy has. Not even Retro managed to do it properly.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The blind guy who finished OoT is genuinescorruption who did it with the help of Runnerguy2489. Together they figured out strategies how to move through dungeon rooms and stuff like that. This was actually what inspired Runnerguy to do his blindfolded runs (a regular playthrough, a child dungeons run at AGDQ2015 and a 100% run), and I'm pretty sure he's the guy you were thinking of, although he's by no means the only one who has played OoT blindfolded.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

a pastry

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

FPzero posted:

You can get me the images by either sending them in a PM to me or if you don't have PMs you can either post them in the thread or send them to me on Twitter.

Guess the simplest way is to just post it here. Behind a link just in case I guess!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

RickVoid posted:

my game seems to be running way the gently caress slower than it should be

If it's by about 1/6th then maybe there's some kind of PAL version fuckery going on. Dunno what else would cause that.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I hope there are some near extinct animals that are protected even though they aren't particularly cute

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I'm sure everyone knows by now but the takedown was indeed by Nintendo and by now even the official site has removed the links. Magnet links for torrents and such are pretty much everywhere though so it's not really difficult to find it. All I'm really worried about is if DoctorM64 will be able to publish any of the updates that he was planning on.

I want to believe Nintendo intentionally waited until a day or two after the release as they must have been aware of the project for ages now. American trademark laws are hosed up so it's kind of understandable. Then again, they didn't even bother to acknowledge the anniversary despite a new game in the series coming out, so who knows.

That aside I seriously like AM2R despite a few flaws. I should replay ZM and Super because I'm honestly considering it might be better than both. Maybe not Super. It beats Fusion at least.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
A lot of people are probably familiar with it, but there's a size comparison chart of the models of Samus and most of the bosses in Prime 1 and 2. Chykka is by far the largest thing in both games, about 4-5 times the height of Metroid Prime for example. Since there's at least one boss on the image that's still a spoiler it's probably better to leave posting it until that's been dealt with.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Yorkshire Tea posted:

No beer in McDonald's, although I know it's done in other parts of Europe. I saw it when I was in Finland for example.

Either that was at a Burger King or you happened to visit a McDonald's in Helsinki some years back when they were doing a temporary test run with beer. They don't serve it anywhere at the moment.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I didn't realize Spider Guardian was disliked. I mean, besides finding the final phase a little tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh I forgot all about this guy. I remembered when I saw it but if you had asked me before what the Power Bomb Guardian was I wouldn't have had any idea.

• Locked thread