Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

'Samus must be a man, because she's so tall' is a new one, I've got to admit. Or it is for me at least. But I'm not really in touch with the Metroid fandom so I've got no idea what other stuff exists for the series, my knowledge basically begins with Metroid Prime and ends with Other M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I think that pretty much misses Metroid, Metroid 2, Metroid Pinball, and Super Metroid. There have never been all that many Metroid games because they're not popular enough in Japan for the people who make them to want to make more.

Wait, I know about Metroid Fusion- I think? That's the SA-X one right?- and there was a really early game where dialogue wasn't even much of a thing yet before she took her helmet off and revealed that she was a woman the entire time and people flipped in a 'Holy poo poo no way!' kind of way, like they just got Vince McMahoned.

Also there was a comic/manga too with her being celebrated and poo poo and with a bikini lady on each arm and I feel like it's such a shame they decided to stop and change her character from there after she revealed 'Actually I am a lady.'

Mordaedil posted:

Super Metroid is really good.

Must be a man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cheez posted:

Considering that was literally the first game where that was "revealed", I don't think there's much room for anything like that there. In fact, you could replay the game without the suit...

:shrug: Like I said, my knowledge of Metroid is three games, a comic, and 'Why can't Metroid crawl?' I mean, Super Smash bros doesn't count towards character lore at all.

edit: I thought they went multiple games without mentioning that she was a woman and it wasn't until like the third or fourth one that the reveal happened.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 16, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

In Super Metroid when you got a game over, Samus' suit would bust open with a big flash of light and you could see her silhouette which was DEFINITELY female so it was at least hinted at back then too.

A canon lesbian Samus would have made me so happy and now I wish that was a reality, that would've meant a lot to kid Fae :unsmith:

My first experience with Metroid was Super Smash Bros Melee and Metroid Prime. My experience with Fusion and Other M came much later from LPs and riffs so I had no idea it wasn't kept a mystery at all. v:v:v I had a Nintendo 64 and some games on it and never got any more besides what I had. And among those I had Mario 64 as the only big game that everyone loved on that system.

If I'm inviting a bad topic I apologize but I agree with you. Although I'd say a gay character in general would be good. Closest one I can think of is Tharja since she's into the Avatar no matter which gender you decide on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

See, not having played anything prior to Metroid Prime, and not really keeping track of how fast games developed, I thought that by that point games didn't really have dialogue yet. So I thought they kept that secret in the games for a while too instead of just the first game and immediately revealing it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hard light projection suit just makes me think Power Ranger or Green Lantern and I'm at least convinced the former never has people's clothes fly off for :airquote:reasons:airquote:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

You mixed up some other indie horror game with Fusion, there's no "Waking up in an abandoned hospital/lab" or "Am I a clone or the original" plot.

The Galactic Fed. are a bit more competent than the Space Pirates when it comes to THE SCIENCE, so they sent infected stuff to the Bio Space Lab. Things went to hell, and they called Samus to fix it.

Also you might be spoiling later Chozo lore, I dont recall Hatchling stuff appearing this early in the game or in the videos.

I think he's talking about his thoughts when he got to that part. And you do go investigating and finding X parasite zombie scientists too though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fusion, like all games, would be made better by having the ability to skip cutscenes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Nope

Metroid-->Prime-->Prime Hunters-->Prime 2-->Prime 3-->Metroid 2-->Super-->THEBABY-->Fusion

I always thought Fusion came before Other M

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alkydere posted:

The Pirates discovered Phazon and are now using Adventure game logic (rub new item against everything in the world to see what works).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Your suit having been based on what the Federation had reverse engineered of her suit during Fusion. The Federation tells you that the Metroid Queen has taken over a Federation Research facility, and that it's your mission to eliminate the Metroids and destroy the facility. You get there and your orders increasingly make less and less sense, as they ask you to retrieve samples of Metroid bio-data, download research logs that subtly hint at the Metroids having been created by the Federation, etc. Then Fusion-suited Samus shows up, which is a bit of a mind-gently caress because "what the hell I'm Samus" and she kicks your rear end, leaching your energy Metroid style in a first person cutscene until you're down to 1 energy, at which point she rips your helmet off (probably figuring you're another SA-X or something), then backs away in shock. At this point the Federation decides to blast the site from orbit, and Samus is caught in the explosion, losing her Ice Beam (a weapon that up until this point you have not had, relying entirely on missiles and the power beam + assorted authorized upgrades). Samus escapes but leaves the upgrade behind, which you pick up. At this point your commanders freak out because you've upgraded your suit without permission, and declare your mission failed and order you to stand down. Some mooks show up, tell you to surrender, and then one of them says "Surrender? I though we were supposed to kill him?" at which point everyone starts firing. The rest of the game is spent just trying to get the hell out of the facility while being hunted by the Federation, the Metroids in the base, and Samus Freaking Aran. Have only the first quarter of the game comprise everything up to that point, and when everything goes to hell the game lets you off the rails and it plays just like another Prime game, hidden upgrades and all. The suitless twist at the end is that you're a dude.

Sakamoto will never let it happen.
:negative:

I was with you right up until you didn't go with 'you're a Ridley Metroid' as the surprise twist.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RickVoid posted:

That or you're an SA-X would be a hilarious twist, yes.

Wha- I- No! No sh- She- She takes the helmet off, no! That'd never work!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I'm pretty sure it's around the area where you first fight something I won't even mention in spoiler tags, but you probably already know what it is now.

The space pirate Armstrong right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When're you gonna pull some sick missile cancels already?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I basically only used super missiles and charged shots on them so they never felt like they took long to beat down. I thought it was kinda refreshing, honestly, since most normal enemies have so little health it's nice to find something you can actually wail on for a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's no way that Phazon can be worse than the cold vacuum of space or a lava dungeon. Even when you fall into lava it doesn't immediately melt so I'd say we're gonna be fiiiiiine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure this was mentioned already but the suits give a bit of damage reduction right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just caught up to episode seven and the fanart people are making in this thread is making me miffed there's no Jojo edit of Samus and Dark Samus walking at each other.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FPzero posted:

We beat up the first area boss and get some new clothes!

Man those R's sure look like A's.

Kurieg posted:

I actually like the 3rd suit more than the dark suit in this game. Dark suit just looks... wrong.

Yeah same.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

From what I've seen of Prime and Fusion they just don't have it in them to depict her as a bounty hunter.

Or at least not one like I'm thinking of since there's a whole lot of Galactic Federation involvement and no just bounties for criminals to be hunted down.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

I figured you were exaggerating or something but I found the article that talks about it. Sakamoto and Japan really didn't understand why people liked metroid at all, did they?

Hah, I can't believe I was right on the money after all! This could've been solved by just calling her a rogue or a vigilante with power armor or something, drat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

I think the closest thing to a real bounty hunter in the Nintendo universe is Captain Falcon. Samus is just the Galactic Federation's ace in the hole, and Star Fox have the same "bounty hunter with honor" mentality.

I've played no F-Zero games, does he ever put anyone away or it all racing? And I always thought of Star Fox as mercenaries but eh, that's just semantics.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, none of these idiots are properly titled. First, it turns out Captain Crunch is only a Corporal and now this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

blakyoshi posted:

He kinda tries to in F-Zero GX's story mode. He's not very good at it. Captain Falcon is even more like a superhero than Samus is, though. The whole series' general aesthetic and character designs are heavily inspired by Western superhero comics.

Yeah, just looking at the guy's outfit I can see 'Superhero' from that. Granted, I never had an interest in F-Zero and it sure wasn't easy to find and watch his series back in the day so even if I did want to I doubt I could.

Never really thought of Samus as a superhero, the whole 'Pfft, no way that's true, a single person blowing up a planet by herself? Come on, that's obviously exaggerated.' is more what I've been taking as fact.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Have you seen my bill at the end of Lylat Wars? Star Fox is far from honourable.

Honourable as far as not working with the evil empire. You can't be honourable and refuse a salary in that universe, since Slippy goes through like 40 Arwings every fight. It costs some serious dosh to repair everything!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought there was something Floating aorund about Other M being in its own canon like the CD-i Zelda games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

For fans of the series, it's less that it's in its own canon and more vehemently denying it ever existed. What you may be thinking of is the fact that apparently Sakamoto doesn't think the Prime series is canon to the mainline metroid series.

Hmm, maybe. I was pretty sure what I read was that Other M was its own thing not attached to anything. However, the Prime games being non-cannon might be a blessing in disguise since it means they can do whatever they want with it.

Whichever one is the case, I just hope this doesn't turn out to be how the Metroid series goes. I don't want it to go Paper Mario on us.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FPzero posted:

Grenade Kamikaze Man, the world's worst superhero

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I really should've posted this yesterday.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Another reason why Samus can't just leave if her ship was fixed early is that U'mos mentioned that if the Ing won the war on Aether then they would spread across the Galaxy as an unstoppable force.

Those blasted Ing. No better than the Metroids, I say.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FPzero posted:

I may have jumped the gun. As I type this, I'm currently recording a test video on the pstv home screen, having just done an 8 minute test recording on my Wii U. I don't know what necessarily caused the card to stop working, but I looked at Hauppauge's website and found an update for the Capture software that came out a short while ago. Installing that and rebooting my system appears to have fixed my issues for now.

I'm going to hesitantly say that the LP is back on. Sorry for the confusion and mixed messages. Let this be a lesson that you should regularly update the software you use for LP.

I'm going to try and get us together to do the next recording session soon. Scheduling is a little tricky right now but we'll work something out.

It's cool, Dr. Fetus' Etrian Odyssey 3 LP has gone through like 5 hiatus/I'm abandoning this/lost the game/ technical issues and it's still chugging along.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I never noticed the Light Suit's massive knee-spikes until you mentioned them this update. It's a good thing the Morph Ball is basically magic and turns her into an orb of light because otherwise I'd worry she'd stab herself when trying to curl into a ball.

Lol if you think that suit can pierce its own armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FPzero posted:

The final session! Tyty is here again because he has to be at the end of LPs and Fae tells us about her various children's books.

Does the Berenstein/Berenstain conversation happen in this video?

• Locked thread